Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'd love him here. Has anyone played for Liverpool, City and us before?

The only thing to my memory that comes close is Sir Matt Busby playing for them and managing us.

padr81

Supports
Man City
interesting.

Sterling will clearly want to play, do you think he’s going to go?

onto the hypothetical scenarios… would City contemplate selling him to United, and how would that go down with fans?

with City inserting anti-United clauses into young players’ contracts who they sell, it would appear to be something they wouldn’t even contemplate?
@Classical Mechanic Tag you here instead of quoting twice.

Rumors around we offered him to Spurs in the Kane bid and he's quite upset. Pep has a knack of saying "Oh I love that guy" then 5 minutes later he's out the door.
I think he'd like to keep both ideally but he'd gladly part with Sterling for Grealish or Kane as opposed to force him out. Basically if what he sees as an upgrade is available he'll gladly dispense Raheem for it. He's ruthless like that.
With Foden essentially nailing down Raheems spot given our current tactics and Pep's Mahrez hard on, I don't see him being one of the first XI and he's far too good and in his prime to be a rotation option. I think if the right offer comes in he'll be gone and I say that as someone who really likes Raheem and rates him highly despite his limitations.

With regards Bernardo, I don't blame him for wanting to leave. He's had to sacrifice a lot at City, he never gets to play on the wing and when he plays in midfield he's usually stifled and used purely as a workhorse, His job with the ball is to give it to KDB, Cancelo or himMahrez as opposed to create himself. He's very much been on a leash at City the past 2 seasons. I think that combined with him not enjoying the weather might see him go, though I'm not sure Atletico is ideal for him.

Lots of rumors knocking about that our squad is in for a shakeup up top and if I had to pick players to be moved on for Grealish and Kane or Felix, it'd be Jesus, Raheem and Bernardo (two I'd hate to see go and I rate all three). Those 3 would fund probably fund Grealish and most of Kane as they should bring in around £200m combined. That said atm its all rumor.

As for whether we'd sell to United, I think United are one of the few clubs who could stump up the money for Sterling (maybe PSG but they don't need him) post covid but likely not now that Varane and Sancho are arriving unless Woodward decides he's going out with a bang. I think a proper bid from United would be considered purely on the basis of if he's unhappy and wants out, we have no place for him, he's not benching Neymar.. where else could he go.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I prefer Rashford over Sterling.

The guy is 26 and still runs in players :lol:

also find him a bit boring to watch.

Good Useful player.

Eternitiy

Sterling is a superb player. Not without his flaws, but that's normal.

He's been a top player since playing for Rodgers at Liverpool, and Guardiola has moulded him into something even better.

All this being said, Luke Shaw is the best English player. Unreal player and the form he's shown in 2021 is staggering.

Classical Mechanic

@Classical Mechanic Tag you here instead of quoting twice.

Rumors around we offered him to Spurs in the Kane bid and he's quite upset. Pep has a knack of saying "Oh I love that guy" then 5 minutes later he's out the door.
I think he'd like to keep both ideally but he'd gladly part with Sterling for Grealish or Kane as opposed to force him out. Basically if what he sees as an upgrade is available he'll gladly dispense Raheem for it. He's ruthless like that.
With Foden essentially nailing down Raheems spot given our current tactics and Pep's Mahrez hard on, I don't see him being one of the first XI and he's far too good and in his prime to be a rotation option. I think if the right offer comes in he'll be gone and I say that as someone who really likes Raheem and rates him highly despite his limitations.

With regards Bernardo, I don't blame him for wanting to leave. He's had to sacrifice a lot at City, he never gets to play on the wing and when he plays in midfield he's usually stifled and used purely as a workhorse, His job with the ball is to give it to KDB, Cancelo or himMahrez as opposed to create himself. He's very much been on a leash at City the past 2 seasons. I think that combined with him not enjoying the weather might see him go, though I'm not sure Atletico is ideal for him.

Lots of rumors knocking about that our squad is in for a shakeup up top and if I had to pick players to be moved on for Grealish and Kane or Felix, it'd be Jesus, Raheem and Bernardo (two I'd hate to see go and I rate all three). Those 3 would fund probably fund Grealish and most of Kane as they should bring in around £200m combined. That said atm its all rumor.

As for whether we'd sell to United, I think United are one of the few clubs who could stump up the money for Sterling (maybe PSG but they don't need him) post covid but likely not now that Varane and Sancho are arriving unless Woodward decides he's going out with a bang. I think a proper bid from United would be considered purely on the basis of if he's unhappy and wants out, we have no place for him, he's not benching Neymar.. where else could he go.
It's a bit weird to me. Sterling has always seemed like one of Pep's favourite players. He tried to sign him for Bayern and he seemed to always play for him when they've been at City. I don't see United going for him. Like you say there's no obvious team that would satisfy both City and the player,

padr81

Supports
Man City
It's a bit weird to me. Sterling has always seemed like one of Pep's favourite players. He tried to sign him for Bayern and he seemed to always play for him when they've been at City. I don't see United going for him. Like you say there's no obvious team that would satisfy both City and the player,
Yeah the sudden change in Sterlings status at City is something I can't wrap my head around tbh, and the offering to Spurs is criminal (if true).

lost7

I really rate Sterling, but let's not kid ourselves, we've got too many wingers as it is. We don't need to add any more on top

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Feel contact in the box? Go down. You get nothing for staying on your feet.

Swedish_Plumber

There’s no real point in VAR when it barely corrects any on field decision, as has been the case in this tournament. England are well worth lead though.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Slightly more contact than I initially thought. I can see why they didn't overturn it but it's still soft as shit.
Yeah I think if the whole "clear and obvious error" bit wasn't in the rules, it would have been overturned.

TsuWave

There was initial contact then he got bodychecked by the other defender. How is it not a pen? I hear 80s purity cocaine is back around but I didn’t know this many redcafe members could afford that fishscale.

Clear pen.

This is Sterling’s England. Be easy.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
When did he become a prolific diver? Never recall him being this bad, is it the Pep influence?

Red Comet

When did he become a prolific diver? Never recall him being this bad, is it the Pep influence?
Nah, it was his Liverpool youth training by Stevie G and subsequently honed his diving craft under Pep.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why do y'all care? This is high-stakes football. It's on the refs to decide if they deem it a dive.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Yeah I think if the whole "clear and obvious error" bit wasn't in the rules, it would have been overturned.
It's in the rules in every single major european league, and in every one of them VARs advise refs to go check the sideline monitor waaaay more than in this Euro.

Clearly UEFA think they sleep quieter at night by risking to let refereeing mistakes stand rather than by risking to spur debate by overcorrecting them.
Their call.

redrobed

How do we as an English club end up with so many fans that hate England? He’s the best player by some margin imo (in response to thread title)

Powerhouser

Supports
Bayern Munich
He really got away with a blatant dive in a semifinal of the euros. Ref and the Assistant should never be allowed to ref another game.