Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That's what happens when tap ins and playing in good system completely change people's perception of him from good player to world class. Without simple tap ins in a team that scores incredible amount of goals with or without him he was never that great.

Pep's Suit

That's what happens when tap ins and playing in good system completely change people's perception of him from good player to world class. Without simple tap ins in a team that scores incredible amount of goals with or without him he was never that great.
Once Sane left it exposed Sterling's lack of quality. I think he could be good for a team like Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester but he clearly rates himself as a CL-level player so can see him join Barca if they finish in Top4.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Scoring tapins for England in a 6 game tournament vs a club season with close to 50 matches
What do you think i take more seriously?
He was directly involved in 19 of City’s goals last season in their PL win, then was England’s best player at the Euros ffs.

He’s obviously fallen out with Guardiola, yes, but he’s a brilliant player.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He played well for England this summer, but even that could be his high considering he was always pretty average for England.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He played well for England this summer, but even that could be his high considering he was always pretty average for England.
Danny Welbeck was pretty good for England but is a shite player. There’s no correlation between club football and International football.

Dominos

No Kane is a fantastic player.

Sterling is shite.
In his last 4 seasons his stats are

14 G - 12 A
31 G - 10 A
25 G - 18 A
23 G - 17 A

How many wide players in world football can put up these numbers? Do you know what the word "shite" means?

GledTheRed

In his last 4 seasons his stats are

14 G - 12 A
31 G - 10 A
25 G - 18 A
23 G - 17 A

How many wide players in world football can put up these numbers? Do you know what the word "shite" means?
Yes I do and it applies to Sterling.

Not interested in your stats, he also scored a few for England the Euros but again was shite.

Cabin Clown

Is this for real? He's a con artist. He has possibly the worst finishing I've ever seen and squanders so much ball possession.

Ladron de redcafe

He's a clumsy finisher, isn't he? I cannot think of any top player with as many missed sitters as Sterling. Danny Welbeck wasn't great either (and I remember feeling frustrated while watching him), but he wasn't quite this bad.

Classical Mechanic

Is this for real? He's a con artist. He has possibly the worst finishing I've ever seen and squanders so much ball possession.
Almost, Timo Werner is the actually the worst finisher you've ever seen. There's currently no player in Europe's top 5 leagues that is scoring fewer goals than their xG would predict. He's in the 1st percentile (this is the very bottom) for goals - xG and in the 1st percentile for non penalty goals - npxG. Sterling is slightly better (but still terrible) and in the 4th and 2nd percentiles respectively.

Cabin Clown

Almost, Timo Werner is the actually the worst finisher you've ever seen. There's currently no player in Europe's top 5 leagues that is scoring fewer goals than their xG would predict. He's in the 1st percentile (this is the very bottom) for goals - xG and in the 1st percentile for non penalty goals - npxG. Sterling is slightly better (but still terrible) and in the 4th and 2nd percentiles respectively.
Good shout. I forgot about poor auld Timo. Makes Sterling look like prime Van Nistelrooy on a good day.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's a clumsy finisher, isn't he? I cannot think of any top player with as many missed sitters as Sterling. Danny Welbeck wasn't great either (and I remember feeling frustrated while watching him), but he wasn't quite this bad.
The worst actual kicker of a football I've ever seen, no weight of pass, no weight of shot, either over hits by a mile or completely underhits, but a weirdly brilliant footballer.

Remember the geese

Definitely an odd player. Very productive over the years, but I find him to be a bit of a donkey. An outlier in terms of Pep's technical perfection machine.

KeanoMagicHat

The worst actual kicker of a football I've ever seen, no weight of pass, no weight of shot, either over hits by a mile or completely underhits, but a weirdly brilliant footballer.
Yeah it’s mad how many goals he’s scored despite being so bad at the fundamental skill of shooting the ball (bad obviously relative to other elite players, not some clogger in lower leagues). His movement is absolutely top drawer though, which gives him a lot of easy chances.

Marwood

Yeah it’s mad how many goals he’s scored despite being so bad at the fundamental skill of shooting the ball (bad obviously relative to other elite players, not some clogger in lower leagues). His movement is absolutely top drawer though, which gives him a lot of easy chances.
Yeah his movement is as good as it gets.

He's also immense physically. The pace, low centre of gravity, endurance, crazy strong for his size. All perfect for football. Physically he reminds me of Maradona. Just without the ability bit.

Couple that with a great work ethic and attitude.

He's not an enigma, his success is explained by the above.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
This why you all give Pep and City fans or naturals ammunition’s on one hand they apparently have a squad of 22 WC players on the other hand these same players are donkeys were even mid table players can do as good under Pep system :lol:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Sterling is a strange one for me, decent enough player i suppose, and i'm not exactly surprised when i see his name on some crucial goals.

But even so, i just don't find him that impressive, maybe its just his wasteful finishing over the years that makes me not want to trust him in my team, even if he no doubt can be impactful.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
SWP would be ball boy under Pep or maybe a training dummy.
Yes, weird comparison.

I find it weird in general when people try to push this "he's just a system player" angle in relation to City players. Sure, Pep's system is a bigger factor than individual brilliance - this was true even for Barca - but he's hardly known for not relying on individual brilliance at all. In fact, one of the most commonly used arguments against him is that he does rely on it - and that he'd struggle to implement his ideas without a team comprised of top quality individual players.

(Before anyone accuses me of accusing him of being a Pep Guardiola is my idol - the point is simply that based on Pep's managerial history it's far more likely that Sterling actually is a top quality player than him being a mediocre player who just happens to fit the system perfectly).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, weird comparison.

I find it weird in general when people try to push this "he's just a system player" angle in relation to City players. Sure, Pep's system is a bigger factor than individual brilliance - this was true even for Barca - but he's hardly known for not relying on individual brilliance at all. In fact, one of the most commonly used arguments against him is that he does rely on it - and that he'd struggle to implement his ideas without a team comprised of top quality individual players.

(Before anyone accuses me of accusing him of being a Pep Guardiola is my idol - the point is simply that based on Pep's managerial history it's far more likely that Sterling actually is a top quality player than him being a mediocre player who just happens to fit the system perfectly).
Yeah, people really underestimate off the ball movement too. Sterling misses chances, no doubt about that but his movement is elite . That's why he gets lot of chances.