Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I don't see what the motive for English sides to sign up to this would be. They would only consider something like this if the CL's reputation/opportunities started to diminish.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Literally reads as certain clubs have a right to be at the top and to have all the money.
That’s a no from me. Hope you all enjoy the non English super league
I would love to see English teams participate. I don't think the first idea was that they should not participate.
Several divisions based on merit, competition controlled by the clubs and strict financial fair play, and people are still against it, but at the same time they complain that City has been doing whatever they want for 15 years, and accepting the UEFA competitions (the new Champions League reforms have copied things) or the Fifa Club World Cup with 32 clubs, while also complaining about how corrupt they are.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Some days ago Cerezo, Atletico de Madrid's chairman said the following:

I fear lot of things have been happening behind the scenes we have no clue about.

cyberman

They haven’t won anything though, they’ve never even been higher than 10th, where is the merit in it for clubs like that other than happening to be English?

Lots of clubs are piggybacking off the Premier League riches, when Southampton can spend more money than the top 5 leagues combined or whatever that stat was, you know the ecosystem is broken. It’s not healthy for a league to be so far financially than the others if you still want the most compelling club competition to be the Champions League. Which it is, cup football > league football.
You dont have to win anything to contribute, that’s what fecked the other leagues with the tv contracts and is why they are where they are. Top heavy nonsense .
Look at two of the three clubs mentioned then remember one is likely to be relegated and people sent to jail for financial fraud while Barca had to pull about 17 levers because they spent hundreds of millions on players to compete with..Atletico Madrid?
What right does the CL have to be above league football? Who are we to tell fans what they want to watch?
Heaven forbid English football uses its riches to keep the football pyramid in a healthy state. We should allow Juve to take money off of Palace so they can sign injury destroyed Pogba on 10 million a year.

cyberman

I would love to see English teams participate. I don't think the first idea was that they should not participate.
Several divisions based on merit, competition controlled by the clubs and strict financial fair play, and people are still against it, but at the same time they complain that City has been doing whatever they want for 15 years, and accepting the UEFA competitions (the new Champions League reforms have copied things) or the Fifa Club World Cup with 32 clubs, while also complaining about how corrupt they are.
Can’t happen. The new regulator in English football has said it will make any super league illegal for us to enter into.
There is no support for it.
Maybe back when it was just City but all of these FFP interests goes against the rich owners of top clubs. It would be turkeys looking forward to Christmas

CG1010

The PL charging Man City with FFP violations could be to preempt this and not give more incentives to Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal etc to again support ESL.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I am still baffled that Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus preach about inequality after they have been outmuscled financially by Premier league.

And they pretend to be speaking in the name of the whole continent. They have a big FECK YOU from me and I'm pretty sure, rest of the eastern Europe, as they have had UEFA decisions on their side for good 30 years and have completely destroyed competitiveness in almost whole continent.
Agree, and Real started all this shite with transfers like the Zidane and Figo ones. Also the CR7 window and especially the Bale move that broke the market before Neymar happened. They might not even be the same club they are today if it wasn't for fecking Franco too. Now their fans are in shambles online talking about how football is broken thanks to the Prem and its spending. Perez preaches for fair competition and the integrity of the sport while they and Barca continue to dictate La Liga with barely any competition in sight while sucking up the entirety of the TV money as well.

BootsyCollins

They say one of their main principles is player health but then go on to propose a new European competition where every participating club would play a minimum of 14 games, which is more than that of the teams going all the way in the current competitions. The audacity of this lot is something else. :lol:
Its insane :lol: I think that is one of the reason its not going to work.

Spoony

The People's President
Agree, and Real started all this shite with transfers like the Zidane and Figo ones. Also the CR7 window and especially the Bale move that broke the market before Neymar happened. They might not even be the same club they are today if it wasn't for fecking Franco too. Now their fans are in shambles online talking about how football is broken thanks to the Prem and its spending. Perez preaches for fair competition and the integrity of the sport while they and Barca continue to dictate La Liga with barely any competition in sight while sucking up the entirety of the TV money as well.

Aye. They've been playing with a cheat code since the 50s. I hope they crash and burn.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Javier Tebas is also enthusiastic in his support for the Superleague:

"The Super League is the wolf who today disguises himself as the granny to try and fool European football. But his nose and teeth are very big..."

Dorris

Why don’t Serie A and La Liga just join together? That would certainly have enough pull to rival the PL. Well we know why, because then the top teams wouldn’t be guaranteed a free pass to the Champions League every season, just like in England. They want their cake and to eat it.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Of course, with the local leagues being crunched by the Premier League, the European teams need to form their own EuroLeague (say a two or three tiers EU competition) and stop the draining.

R'hllor

Those crooks of clubs have really no shame, such a classic, while they had their foot on the necks of other teams in the league, all was good, now after fecking up their own budgets, cooking books and others coming in with money to invest, they trying to potrait themself as fighters for equality haha

KeanoMagicHat

You dont have to win anything to contribute, that’s what fecked the other leagues with the tv contracts and is why they are where they are. Top heavy nonsense .
Look at two of the three clubs mentioned then remember one is likely to be relegated and people sent to jail for financial fraud while Barca had to pull about 17 levers because they spent hundreds of millions on players to compete with..Atletico Madrid?
What right does the CL have to be above league football? Who are we to tell fans what they want to watch?
Heaven forbid English football uses its riches to keep the football pyramid in a healthy state. We should allow Juve to take money off of Palace so they can sign injury destroyed Pogba on 10 million a year.
I’ve no time for Juventus and Barcelona but City and Chelsea are frauds too cheating the rules, just have billionaire owners behind it. The likes of the Bundesliga are punished in this ecosystem for doing things the right way because they don’t whore out their league to nation states and venture capitalists.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Literally reads as certain clubs have a right to be at the top and to have all the money.
That’s a no from me. Hope you all enjoy the non English super league
I think many posters are emphasizing what from their perspective are the moral issues of this process. But from my point of view the impact is almost negligible. In reality this is what matters the most to understand the power struggle:

Which, if true, would force UEFA to take very strong actions to say the least.

crazynaiman

Supports
Chelsea
I think it can already be said that the Premier League has reached a natural monopoly, where it is no longer possible for other leagues to compete with the EPL, so they will go their own way (Super League). There is no longer a confrontation between the Champions League and the Super League. The main fight will be between the Premier League and the Super League. And here an interesting question will be how the Premier League will deal with a competitor. In theory, you can go the way of the North American leagues - separating the league from other leagues as much as possible, as the NHL(NBA) does, raising the level and prestige of the tournament higher than the Champions League. Thus, creating your own inner kitchen, which will have no analogues. To do this, you need to come up with something new, extraordinary, such as All-Star matches, All-Star skills competitions, or something like drafts (exaggerated), microphones for referees, players trades, salary caps (to equalize the opportunities of all 20 teams), and all sorts of shows. In general, something new always leads to progress, so it is intriguing how the Super League will affect the Premier League.

cyberman

I think many posters are emphasizing what from their perspective are the moral issues of this process. But from my point of view the impact is almost negligible. In reality this is what matters the most to understand the power struggle:

Which, if true, would force UEFA to take very strong actions to say the least.
Must be why there’s only three teams left in it?
You won’t see a German or English team in this and if you feck the CL with this then England only gets stronger.
We already have the CL that has all the best teams in Europe and it needs reshaped because interest has dropped. What difference will this make?
I’m waiting for the idea that tv money is pooled together and distributed throughout Europe. Can’t be far away now

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Honestly, this is the last throw of the dice by RBJ to win some public approval before the ECJ judgement goes against them to limit the ramifications of that.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Javier Tebas is also enthusiastic in his support for the Superleague:

"The Super League is the wolf who today disguises himself as the granny to try and fool European football. But his nose and teeth are very big..."

It's the opposite, he is against it, obviously for the fact that it will take power/money/prestige from LaLiga.

RedRoach

I reckon there will be a European Super League without the English clubs (for the first few seasons) since there is no local support for it.

The rest of Europe know that the EPL is going to commercially dominate if they don't do something so a combined French/Spanish/Italian league is my bet in attempt to rival the EPL.

Pintu

Why don’t Serie A and La Liga just join together? That would certainly have enough pull to rival the PL. Well we know why, because then the top teams wouldn’t be guaranteed a free pass to the Champions League every season, just like in England. They want their cake and to eat it.
No that won't be enough... The PL has been attracting laundered crime/corruption money for 20 years (Just look at Chelsea's previous owner and how City won 4 in 5...), and this "crime friendly" behavior has allowed it to get so far ahead that it will still be ahead no matter what happens next.

But if a maximum of the top clubs from the other European leagues joined together, then they will get a shot at staying at some decent distance behind the PL, and not become like Spanish basket league compared to the NBA (Because this is how we are heading, The PL will soon become the NBA of football leagues across the world)...

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Zero interest in this. No interest in helping out the other European teams. Stay in the mud.

Guy Incognito

I don't see what the motive for English sides to sign up to this would be. They would only consider something like this if the CL's reputation/opportunities started to diminish.
The English clubs won't take to the new UEFA CL format and FIFA's CWC proposals.

Cloud7

No one and no amount of posturing on their end can ever convince me that an idea spearheaded by Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus (Especially the Spanish two) will ever be something that is actually done for the good of football and not as part of some way to benefit them more than anyone else.

The Spanish big two believe that they have a divine right to be top dogs no matter what.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Great post. The new format cl is bad enough without an even more closed shop replacing it

ZH1

What's clear is European Football cannot survive as it is. They simply do not generate the revenue the Premier League does so they have come up with a solutions.

I'm not totally against the Super League, for me the best players do not compete against each other as much as they do. We share clips of a young Rooney playing against France in Euro 2004 and dominating the whole team, he didn't look out of sorts on the same pitch as Zidane. But that is the only time he ever played against Zidane.

With the Super League he would have played against him at least twice a season, that would be sports entertainment at its finest.

The issue is protecting the domestic league, if we're able to protect the Premiership, have it in writing that there would only be weekday games and everyone enters the tournament on merit then there I don't see why people have an issue with the Super League.

The issues people had with the initial proposal were fair, but with how it is outlined now I think it only makes for better football with the very best players coming up against each other more often.

Dan_F

I am still baffled that Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus preach about inequality after they have been outmuscled financially by Premier league.

And they pretend to be speaking in the name of the whole continent. They have a big FECK YOU from me and I'm pretty sure, rest of the eastern Europe, as they have had UEFA decisions on their side for good 30 years and have completely destroyed competitiveness in almost whole continent.
Yep. I have no problem with splitting revenues equally throughout Europe. Champions of all nations get an equal split, then 2nd, 3rd etc. Of course this is nothing like what they are proposing. All they want is a bigger slice of the pie for themselves.

Son

It’s all about Real and Barcelona this. Suits nobody else. They are upset other clubs can spray more money up the wall currently so are butthurt.

Stinks of their kinda way of doing business. Shut other clubs out and greedily try and take all the spoils.

Son

No that won't be enough... The PL has been attracting laundered crime/corruption money for 20 years (Just look at Chelsea's previous owner and how City won 4 in 5...), and this "crime friendly" behavior has allowed it to get so far ahead that it will still be ahead no matter what happens next.

But if a maximum of the top clubs from the other European leagues joined together, then they will get a shot at staying at some decent distance behind the PL, and not become like Spanish basket league compared to the NBA (Because this is how we are heading, The PL will soon become the NBA of football leagues across the world)...
Madrid are ran by the Spanish banks and Milan had a president as owner. The corrupt money was in Spain and Italy before they never complained then.

Juve even got done for match fixing :lol: How can anyone feel sorry for them in a free market losing when they have out muscled everyone else for years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It’s all about Real and Barcelona this. Suits nobody else. They are upset other clubs can spray more money up the wall currently so are butthurt.

Stinks of their kinda way of doing business. Shut other clubs out and greedily try and take all the spoils.
Suits City too. They can get away with all their cheating in the PL by just playing in a different league.

Pintu

Madrid are ran by the Spanish banks and Milan had a president as owner. The corrupt money was in Spain and Italy before they never complained then.

Juve even got done for match fixing :lol: How can anyone feel sorry for them in a free market losing when they have out muscled everyone else for years.
Nobody is feeling sorry for them... And they are not complaining about the corruption itself... They are complaining about the concentration of the corrupted money in one league (They don't even dare call it what it is)... They want in on that money, regardless of how dirty it is.

Steffa Barnesa

The dream of qualifying for Europe is embedded in our experience as fans here in England. The thought of it just being guaranteed I find quite disgusting - it has to be earned, and earned anew every year. Especially for certain clubs with a certain type of owner who would be delighted to rake in the dough while being mid-table in a European super league.

From very anecdotal browsing on the net, it seems like the new breed of global fan is a lot more open to this idea. They presumably want to see the same European teams play year after year, while the traditionalist wants it to be more of a rare treat that has to be earned (rather than expected). For these teams to meet every year would be more common in other sports, so perhaps that's what they want / expect with football - but football is uniquely brilliant and these rare meetings make those eventual meetings extra special, and not routine fixtures played primarily for financial gain. I'm sure the ESL would settle into a pattern and people would soon get bored with it after so many years.

No one would want the World Cup transformed into a league competition - we can all see how that would be detrimental to it as a spectacle, to say the very least, so it pains me so many people are open to the same with European club football.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The Super League more than anything is what I feel could be the biggest threat to my love for the game. Obviously has to wait and watch but tearing down tradition for this shitty cash grab just feels like it would be a milestone moment and in a bad way. All the history we have with our PL titles etc just gone for no apparent reason.

in cricket it was T20 that did it

cyberman

Grow your leagues then. It’s never too late to start no matter what people say.
Why can Brighton do what they do, play football the way they do, and teams in other leagues can’t? The difference is you want to take the shortcuts, you want the big money signings. You want the El Classicos to have the 22 best players in the world and all is rosey. Barcelona didn’t want Gavi and Pedri, they want to sign Gavi and Pedri from Man United for 150m and bask in the glow of the big money propaganda.
That’s all we heard over the last decade. English football isn’t that great because La Liga are winning the European competitions. All good when La Liga dominates. Now that looks like it’s on its last legs it’s a shit show?
Roman was corrupt but who else? Where is this dirty money ? It’s just buzz words with no substance, excuses to hide behind

(...)

Supports
Arsenal

Yeah it won't work, they tried and failed. I see it just as a mean of pressure on UEFA and PL to share revenues a bit more.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
It's really hard to see this as anything different to an attempt at bailing RBJ out. The thing they propose is esentially a worse version of what UEFA is doing anyway with UCL-UEL-Conference, with the "good bit" (14 european games for everyone) contradicted by other bits (no less domestic games + no more total games) and a revenue/spending system similar to what already exists, only benefits a small group of clubs (coincidentally them) and have proven unsustainable in the long run. The rest of the proposition is esentially "we want more money". They would be better served sponsoring a candidate to win UEFA elections at this point.

What happened IIRC is that a small bunch of big clubs hijacked their domestic leagues since the 90s, leeched all the value from them while generating very little, foolishly squandered most of it, and finally got caught up competitively and financially by A) more attractive/better structured leagues such as the PL, B) Oil money and C) COVID (with PL and oil clubs were better prepared to deal with it). You know, a "feck around, find out" type of situation.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
The dream of qualifying for Europe is embedded in our experience as fans here in England. The thought of it just being guaranteed I find quite disgusting - it has to be earned, and earned anew every year. Especially for certain clubs with a certain type of owner who would be delighted to rake in the dough while being mid-table in a European super league.

From very anecdotal browsing on the net, it seems like the new breed of global fan is a lot more open to this idea. They presumably want to see the same European teams play year after year, while the traditionalist wants it to be more of a rare treat that has to be earned (rather than expected). For these teams to meet every year would be more common in other sports, so perhaps that's what they want / expect with football - but football is uniquely brilliant and these rare meetings make those eventual meetings extra special, and not routine fixtures played primarily for financial gain. I'm sure the ESL would settle into a pattern and people would soon get bored with it after so many years.

No one would want the World Cup transformed into a league competition - we can all see how that would be detrimental to it as a spectacle, to say the very least, so it pains me so many people are open to the same with European club football.
Good post. I agree

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

The dream of qualifying for the champions is identical in all countries, but as is the current football the chances of Everton, Southampton, Betis, Chievo Verona are minimal unless they have a millionaire owner, and if it is the case they eventually can opt to enter the super league in some division because their money will have bought players and will have obtained merits to access, and be promoted too, as it has been said that there will be promotion and relegation. Another thing is to think that it will happen again as in the 80's and 90's and suddenly a Steaua or Red Star will win the Champions League, Instead of being irrelevant teams that were beaten in the first stage