Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Weren’t UEFA waiting on this so they could ban all three clubs from CL?
Always sooo dramatic… UEFA will never ban Real Madrid, they could but wouldn’t ban Barcelona, they would happily ban Juventus but Agnelli is done and dusted and Elkann does not give a sh*t about these scrimmages.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
No it’s not legal in the way that it was pursued. So unless you come back with a completely revised format, FIFA will block it and the court has said FIFA would not be breaking the law for doing so. Basically, unless it’s successfully appealed it’s not happened.
What the lawyer says is "the super league is free to create its own independent football competition outside the UEFA ecosystem and cannot continue to participate in UEFA competitions if UEFA does not authorise it".
It does not assess the legality of the format(closed or semiclosed) and I imagine that UEFA will block anything that does not involve its control.
In other words, the three clubs already took it for granted that they would not participate simultaneously in both competitions.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So the Super League is free to go ahead but they and their players would be banned from all competitions that fall under FIFA/UEFA/other continental organizations?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
So the Super League is free to go ahead but they and their players would be banned from all competitions that fall under FIFA/UEFA/other continental organizations?
Not exactly, this case was whether UEFA and by extension FIFA have the power under European competition law to sanction or threaten to sanction the clubs and players involved, the answer to that is apparently yes though that is to be confirmed

Basically the court is saying that UEFA can legally sanction clubs and players if they go ahead with the ESL, if this is confirmed then the ESL is likely dead in the water because I can't see the players risking the possibility of playing, being discarded and have no ability to go back to a non-ESL club

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Not exactly, this case was whether UEFA and by extension FIFA have the power under European competition law to sanction or threaten to sanction the clubs and players involved, the answer to that is apparently yes though that is to be confirmed

Basically the court is saying that UEFA can legally sanction clubs and players if they go ahead with the ESL, if this is confirmed then the ESL is likely dead in the water because I can't see the players risking the possibility of playing, being discarded and have no ability to go back to a non-ESL club
The fact that FIFA could legally do that same is even scarier. Fedaration are members of FIFA and they don't want the ESL. They could very well pressure FIFA's board so they take appropriate measures againts teams/players that decide to join this rogue organization. No more NT football, no more european football, no more nothing. Even if it's merely a threat, nobody will take the risk.

The Purley King

The fact that FIFA could legally do that same is even scarier. Fedaration are members of FIFA and they don't want the ESL. They could very well pressure FIFA's board so they take appropriate measures againts teams/players that decide to join this rogue organization. No more NT football, no more european football, no more nothing. Even if it's merely a threat, nobody will take the risk.
I can see a split happening in the not too distant future, similar to the recent golf one and the more historic darts one.
As with both of those splits the side with the most money will probably win.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I can see a split happening in the not too distant future, similar to the recent golf one and the more historic darts one.
As with both of those splits the side with the most money will probably win.
I'm not so sure, those are individual rather than team sports, the problem for the future is whether young players are going to tie themselves to a very limited career path

It's hard enough to make it at a top club but at least if they don't make it at the top level then they have a chance at a lower level, that wouldn't be allowed, UEFA/FIFA would make it so as a price to pay for breaking away

Doesn't apply so much to current players but they're only around for a few more years and if there's not a decent supply of top talent then it'll die

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Watching from sidelines, this is quite sad. UEFA is no better than the clubs it is apparently fighting against.

For club football to be healthier in the long term, drastic measures have to be taken to limit the influence money has on the outcomes. The "growth" nonsense must stop, clubs should seriously spend far less and more equal ground should be set up.

I really don't look forward to going back to club football after World Cup, because it is going to be all the same again, rinse and repeat.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Am i wrong in assuming that since the various FAs fall under the aegis of UEFA/FIFA, teams playing in the SL could be expelled from domestic competition as well?

The Purley King

I'm not so sure, those are individual rather than team sports, the problem for the future is whether young players are going to tie themselves to a very limited career path

It's hard enough to make it at a top club but at least if they don't make it at the top level then they have a chance at a lower level, that wouldn't be allowed, UEFA/FIFA would make it so as a price to pay for breaking away

Doesn't apply so much to current players but they're only around for a few more years and if there's not a decent supply of top talent then it'll die
might be a case of being towards the upper end of a uefa based team and then getting £x000 per week from a super league club.
As you say I doubt kids would start off at one as they’d be potentially killing their career if they don’t make it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Am i wrong in assuming that since the various FAs fall under the aegis of UEFA/FIFA, teams playing in the SL could be expelled from domestic competition as well?
You're not wrong, that indeed could and quite probably would happen

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Watching from sidelines, this is quite sad. UEFA is no better than the clubs it is apparently fighting against.

For club football to be healthier in the long term, drastic measures have to be taken to limit the influence money has on the outcomes. The "growth" nonsense must stop, clubs should seriously spend far less and more equal ground should be set up.

I really don't look forward to going back to club football after World Cup, because it is going to be all the same again, rinse and repeat.
I'm afraid that ship has long sailed, UEFA essentially caved in to the big clubs with the advent of the CL, without it the ESL would have started years ago

The PL started for basically the same reason but at least promotion/relegation was retained, what would have been disastrous would have been a move away from the collective bargaining of TV rights, one of the reasons why Real Madrid and Barcelona were so powerful in Spain was that they used to have their own rights so got the lions share of it.

If that had happened in England then United & Liverpool and maybe Arsenal & Spurs would have had an income stream that meant no one else could have competed with them.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I'm afraid that ship has long sailed, UEFA essentially caved in to the big clubs with the advent of the CL, without it the ESL would have started years ago

The PL started for basically the same reason but at least promotion/relegation was retained, what would have been disastrous would have been a move away from the collective bargaining of TV rights, one of the reasons why Real Madrid and Barcelona were so powerful in Spain was that they used to have their own rights so got the lions share of it.

If that had happened in England then United & Liverpool and maybe Arsenal & Spurs would have had an income stream that meant no one else could have competed with them.
Yeah, completely agree with you. That ship has sailed in nineties, way too late now to expect say Celtic or Anderlecht financially competing with English clubs.

Also, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Italian big three are now paying the price of pillaging their league competition for years in terms of TV rights, making their leagues unattractive and in process slashing possibilities of their own income.

stu_1992

This still sounds like an awful idea. Not as awful, but is there really any appetite for this among fans?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Super League is dead.

A merger between Serie A and La Liga is possible.

Have to see how clubs financial situations evolve...

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Yeah, they're desperate. The Advocate General pretty much put this to bed when they said that UEFA didn't abuse their position owing to the nature of football, which means that the ECJ is very likely to judge in the same way. The injuction given in Jan by the Madrid Court, just meant that Real, Juve and Barca cannot be punished until the ECJ ruling and they can theoretically pursue the idea still.

All that is happening atm, is that Real, Juve and Barca are trying to drum up support ahead of the final ECJ ruling to attempt to show the ESL is actually wanted. However, once the ECJ ruling comes down they'll be buggered if UEFA is deemed to have acted correctly.

pauldyson1uk

Reichart said the new-look Super League would be an open competition, with qualification achieved via performance at national level and with all its teams competing in their domestic leagues.

Those national leagues would remain "the foundation" of the game, Reichart said, and argued that the new Super League would generate new revenues to support the entire pyramid.

The guarantee of a minimum of 14 matches, Reichart says, would provide "stablility and predictability" of revenue.

Reichart set out plans for cost control measures, saying clubs should spend only a fixed percentage of their annual football-related revenue on player salaries and net transfers.

I am not total against this, its is better than the last one, but still need to see ore about it.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I am still baffled that Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus preach about inequality after they have been outmuscled financially by Premier league.

And they pretend to be speaking in the name of the whole continent. They have a big FECK YOU from me and I'm pretty sure, rest of the eastern Europe, as they have had UEFA decisions on their side for good 30 years and have completely destroyed competitiveness in almost whole continent.

KeanoMagicHat

This one could be a runner as they got rid of the biggest obstacle before - meritocracy.

Now if you look at the wider European football ecosystem, what right has Crystal Palace to sit in mid-table in the Premier League and have more money than Ajax or Benfica because they’re English? Premier League shouldn’t be afraid of a bit of competition, they’re living a charmed life at the moment, eating up all the other leagues.

ShinjiNinja26

Tell them to feck off! This stinks of Barca, Real and Juve throwing their toys out the pram because they can’t go and sign all the best players at will like they used to. They basically want other clubs to fund their spending by signing up to this shite.

cyberman

This one could be a runner as they got rid of the biggest obstacle before - meritocracy.

Now if you look at the wider European football ecosystem, what right has Crystal Palace to sit in mid-table in the Premier League and have more money than Ajax or Benfica because they’re English? Premier League shouldn’t be afraid of a bit of competition, they’re living a charmed life at the moment, eating up all the other leagues.
Why doesn’t Palace have the right to make money?
So clubs are entitled to make more than certain English clubs now?

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
So new suggestion is more matches for clubs already having to many matches?

They say one of their main principles is player health but then go on to propose a new European competition where every participating club would play a minimum of 14 games, which is more than that of the teams going all the way in the current competitions. The audacity of this lot is something else. :lol:

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo

This isn't about Ajax and Benfica and it never was. If they were so concerned about ajaxes and benficas of the continent they would have urged UEFA to make drastic changes during 90s, when competitiveness started collapsing in favor of few big clubs.

spe88

Maybe if these clubs didn’t take an extra €100m euros from tv rights (in comparison to other clubs) and distributed it fairly in their leagues to make them more competitive, then they might have had more investment in the long run

Reactions: 711

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
The desperation
I don't actively want this but at the same time, if there's no 'closed shop' or permanent members, I don't see how it's much of a grave threat to anybody except UEFA. The devil could be in the further details I suppose.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Reichart said the new-look Super League would be an open competition, with qualification achieved via performance at national level and with all its teams competing in their domestic leagues.

Those national leagues would remain "the foundation" of the game, Reichart said, and argued that the new Super League would generate new revenues to support the entire pyramid.

The guarantee of a minimum of 14 matches, Reichart says, would provide "stablility and predictability" of revenue.

Reichart set out plans for cost control measures, saying clubs should spend only a fixed percentage of their annual football-related revenue on player salaries and net transfers.

I am not total against this, its is better than the last one, but still need to see ore about it.
An European champion that directly qualifies for group stages will play 13 games until they get the trophy.

Reichart proposes a minimum of 14 matches and at the same time says the following:

If I was a journalist the first thing I would ask him is how to deal with this evident contradiction.

cyberman

I don't actively want this but at the same time, if there's no 'closed shop' or permanent members, I don't see how it's much of a grave threat to anybody except UEFA. The devil could be in the further details I suppose.
It’s to lure fan support in and then slightly alter it until the top clubs get what they want anyway.
Plus they’re being punished by UEFA when the judgment cones down, can’t punish 80 clubs

KeanoMagicHat

Why doesn’t Palace have the right to make money?
So clubs are entitled to make more than certain English clubs now?
They haven’t won anything though, they’ve never even been higher than 10th, where is the merit in it for clubs like that other than happening to be English?

Lots of clubs are piggybacking off the Premier League riches, when Southampton can spend more money than the top 5 leagues combined or whatever that stat was, you know the ecosystem is broken. It’s not healthy for a league to be so far financially than the others if you still want the most compelling club competition to be the Champions League. Which it is, cup football > league football.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Here is one for starters. As bad and as skewed in favor of top few leagues European football is at the moment, there is still cca 200 clubs from all over the continent competing in European competitions. That would be cut down to third by their propositions instantly. And then you'd surely have somewhere around 40 clubs from top five leagues, with the rest being filled by few of national heavyweights from smaller leagues, not even all of them.

pauldyson1uk

An European champion that directly qualifies for group stages will play 13 games until they get the trophy.

Reichart proposes a minimum of 14 matches and at the same time says the following:

If I was a journalist the first thing I would ask him is how to deal with this evident contradiction.
I want to see more bones of the competition before I support or not, the open competition is a good start.

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
It’s to lure fan support in and then slightly alter it until the top clubs get what they want anyway.
Plus they’re being punished by UEFA when the judgment cones down, can’t punish 80 clubs
That could well be a concern I guess. English clubs will probably be of the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' mindset considering they get healthy TV revenues anyway and now know they're risking significant backlash for relatively less gain.