Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I absolutely hate this and hope it doesn't go ahead. Money grab against the fans wishes. Posts like -

Nothing to argue about really. This is just a better Champions League without UEFA's involvement. Better football, less dead rubber games, better viewing experience.

They just need to clarify how a team loses their place in the Super League and qualifies for the Super League. As long as that's fair for all teams in each domestic league, good riddance to UEFA.
Make me feel ill.

goptun

Athletic sure, they should be in the SL imo. Valencia? Feck them honestly :lol: couldn't give a rat's arse about them. Actually I kind of do. Peter Lim forever.

Much rather play Liverpool
I don't understand how people can follow a team so closely yet have so little feeling for the actual competition and other clubs they share the domestic league with. Our best and most entertaining game of the season was easily the Leeds match. Even teams you love to hate like Burnley, or game raisers like Villa - there's a shared history there that gives each game weight. Horses for courses and that, though, and I'm sure La Liga and the PL have very different dynamics.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't understand how people can follow a team so closely yet have so little feeling for the actual competition and other clubs they share the domestic league with.
What can i say, i'm a simple man. I'd just like if all of my club's biggest rivals were to simply stop existing altogether. I could build some nice memorial mauseleums in their honor and then pubicly take a shit on it

You know, the simple things

Guapa

Bring it on.EPL boring as feck,and we aint even competitive anymore.Change/reset needed big time.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The super league is legal pretty much for sure.

It's just unworkable without simply reverting to the old CL format. No founding clubs nonsense. It would kill the premier league and fans won't accept it.

Lynty

I absolutely hate this and hope it doesn't go ahead. Money grab against the fans wishes. Posts like -

Make me feel ill.
What's your reasons for being against it? It what ways is it different to the Champions League?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
If structured correctly (big IF), it would be brilliant and undoubtedly good for non-oil clubs.

UEFA is corrupt as feck and basically has two masters, the petrostates that have gained amazing influence over the organization and then the many smaller associations that it needs on its side to win votes and gives patronage handouts to keep loyal.

The CL manages to be both boring for most of the year AND to make far less money than it probably should. Its a great product that is terribly monetized by an incompetent cartel. Moreover, this cartel is clearly not at all interested in FFP or any other kind of regulation that would help deal with the massive disparities and competitive imbalances in the sport.

In theory, you could create a competition with an independent regulator that is less corrupt, much more business savvy, and generates a much bigger pie that is shared more broadly across clubs and within the major associations. It could also have another huge benefit for the domestic leagues - because this regulatory body wouldn't be in cahoots with the oil clubs, it could actually make and enforce real FFP-like regulations that have actual teeth, which would produce spillover effects promoting better competition within domestic leagues.

Whether Florentino and his buddies are truly capable of pulling that off is a completely fair question, but in theory its a great idea and certainly not one that would be killing the game or betraying the fans or whatever such nonsense entities like Sky Sports and the Premier League might want to foster because they are worried about its impact on their own bottom line.

Lynty

'better viewing experience' straight from the gob of Perez and co.
I honestly don't understand the push back of this version.

Isnt this just a more competitive Champions League? Unlike the last version, this one doesnt gaurantee re-entry each year and routes would be available for other teams to qualify.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
So United would have one year in the competition as a founding member? Better enjoy it while it lasts. If we can't score against Watford, we will get slaughtered in this thing and bounce out quickly.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Even disregarding the obvious. Are we really supposed to trust and get behind a competition helmed by Florentino and Agnelli? Bonkers.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The PL is the real super League. This is why these 3 clubs are pushing for it. They can't compete with the commercial juggernaut that is the English PL.

If our clubs don't join then there's no Super League.

clarkydaz

Be good to here Joel explain to united fans his thoughts, as we're all one big happy family now after a zoom call. I will assume MUST know all about it, otherwise they look like twats trying to strike up a rapport with them

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The PL is the real super League. This is why these 3 clubs are pushing for it. They can't compete with the commercial juggernaut that is the English PL.

If our clubs don't join then there's no Super League.
I find it funny that the super league is bad for football but one league far being so far ahead financially and commercially is fine for football.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Not a fan of the new format uefa are proposing either. 10 group/league games instead of 6. There’s no space in the calendar!

Keep hearing people saying this is to replace the champs league, it has nothing to do with that.

Make no mistake, this league would make every domestic league such as the Premier League completely redundant. This is a power grab by a few individuals who are bitter about UEFA and the English PL getting all the money at the moment.

Thankfully the Glazers did what they do best and were completely incompetent at executing their plan. Even if another super league happens, the Glazers will never get another chance at being owners of a super league ever again.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Here We Go camp vs F. Y. brigade then? Not sure FloPe & AndyLamb are worse than Qatar & Mr Puppet for “the football of the children”, really. We will see in a few months, really, with all the third parties’ disentangling happening right now.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I find it funny that the super league is bad for football but one league far being so far ahead financially and commercially is fine for football.
Are you for real? Hahahaha

If La Liga was the best league in world football and made the most revenue do you think the big two there would be pushing for this nonsense? Of course not.

Sounds like you want the Super League then? Are you a legacy fan? Hahahaha.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are you for real? Hahahaha

If La Liga was the best league in world football and made the most revenue do you think the big two there would be pushing for this nonsense? Of course not.
Sounds like you want the Super League then? Are you a legacy fan? Hahahaha.
Easy on the laughs mate. You didn’t fully grasp what I was saying. I don’t care what league is number 1, but having 1 league so far ahead of other leagues doesn’t seem like a good thing to me.

The super league replaces the champions league which was already starting to find a similar format as the one the ESL proposed. Van Der Sar spoke about the new UCL proposal last year where he proposed groups of 10 teams.

Whether you want to go down the UEFA route or the ESL route, a new UCL format will happen. I don’t want a ESL that much, I’d want domestic leagues to be closer but that won’t happen. I also don’t want UEFA to have so much power either.

Lynty

Keep hearing people saying this is to replace the champs league, it has nothing to do with that.

Make no mistake, this league would make every domestic league such as the Premier League completely redundant. This is a power grab by a few individuals who are bitter about UEFA and the English PL getting all the money at the moment.

Thankfully the Glazers did what they do best and were completely incompetent at executing their plan. Even if another super league happens, the Glazers will never get another chance at being owners of a super league ever again.
Your wrong. It’s original purpose was to replace the Champions League, that’s been said multiple times (with the UEFA format from 2024 being a joke). The issue was, cherry picked teams guaranteeing their places in the super league every year.

The proposed changes looks like it removes that issue.

As long as qualification for the super league is based on domestic league performance, where’s the issue?

Your wrong. It’s original purpose was to replace the Champions League, that’s been said multiple times (with the UEFA format from 2024 being a joke). The issue was, cherry picked teams guaranteeing their places in the super league every year.

The proposed changes looks like it removes that issue.

As long as qualification for the super league is based on domestic league performance, where’s the issue?
Well your quite right and I am not disputing that it has been advertised as a replacement to the current European champions league format.

The issue arises because the super league is not a knock out competition, it is a league. The money involved will ensure this takes priority over every domestic league game which decreases the value and excitement of our own league. I agree it sounds exciting but in reality this would eventually severely harm the domestic leagues.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The super league is legal pretty much for sure.

It's just unworkable without simply reverting to the old CL format. No founding clubs nonsense. It would kill the premier league and fans won't accept it.
That's the aim.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
People aren't falling for the no founder clubs are they? They'll say that to get it through then implement some rule like, clubs who have X amount of coefficient points and/or qualify for the first two become members forever.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I have this feeling which just won't go away as to why the PL clubs who would get invites to the ESL really would love to be in it.
Not saying I want this but just trying to reason to myself as to why it might just work for the clubs concerned.

The obvious attraction is the money. The TV income would be off the charts and the spin offs such as endorsements and merchandising too.
The players would have less of a burden so injuries would be fewer and performance levels could be consistently high.
As for the domestic Leagues they could continue with the Top clubs still participating. Their teams could consist of squad players, top youth players and First team starters when they are between ESL fixtures.
That would actually give teams like Villa, Spurs, Wolves, Leicester etc. a decent chance of winning the English title and get passage into the ESL.

As I said, I don't particularly want this but if it were to happen maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world?

Lynty

Well your quite right and I am not disputing that it has been advertised as a replacement to the current European champions league format.

The issue arises because the super league is not a knock out competition, it is a league. The money involved will ensure this takes priority over every domestic league game which decreases the value and excitement of our own league. I agree it sounds exciting but in reality this would eventually severely harm the domestic leagues.
Still don’t see it sorry.

Domestic leagues remaining on a weekend will still be a huge draw.

As long as qualification to the super league remains the same (e.g. top 4 in domestic league) the format of a new midweek competition will have minimal effect on EPL.

If United could half ass the EPL with heavy squad rotation and finish mid table, but keep their place in the Super League by finishing mid table - then yes, that would obviously be a terrible idea.

I think we need more details really before making a decision. But if done correctly, Super League has many merits over the current Champions League format, which is only going to get worse come 2024.

Still don’t see it sorry.

Domestic leagues remaining on a weekend will still be a huge draw.

As long as qualification to the super league remains the same (e.g. top 4 in domestic league) the format of a new midweek competition will have minimal effect on EPL.

If United could half ass the EPL with heavy squad rotation and finish mid table, but keep their place in the Super League by finishing mid table - then yes, that would obviously be a terrible idea.

I think we need more details really before making a decision. But if done correctly, Super League has many merits over the current Champions League format, which is only going to get worse come 2024.
If it was done in the way you describe then I could warm to it. As you say, fans love the top 4 system and if there were any kind of guaranteed spots then it would destroy football.

I’ll be honest though, I am slightly bitter as I just love knock out tournaments. It doesn’t happen often but sometimes an underdog team can go all the way. In a league format then there is certainly no flukeing that.

Anyway, like you said we just gotta wait and see what they come up with…Torches and pitch forks at the ready!

saivet

Aside from club owners having more control and cutting out UEFA, what is the point of these proposals? I'm struggling to see how this benefits fans in any way?

It doesn't sound like it would be a better product, just a variation of the CL.

While I hated the initial idea, at least is was posing something noticably different from the status quo being a closed shop. I don't think it was ever feasible but their campaign was woeful that it never even had a slim chance of going through.

Power to the likes of the Glazers, Perez et al. or leave it with UEFA? Personally would leave it with UEFA as the benefits don't seem great.

clarkydaz

Aside from club owners having more control and cutting out UEFA, what is the point of these proposals? I'm struggling to see how this benefits fans in any way?

It doesn't sound like it would be a better product, just a variation of the CL.

While I hated the initial idea, at least is was posing something noticably different from the status quo being a closed shop. I don't think it was ever feasible but their campaign was woeful that it never even had a slim chance of going through.

Power to the likes of the Glazers, Perez et al. or leave it with UEFA? Personally would leave it with UEFA as the benefits don't seem great.
its not to benefit fans, its purely for the owners to be guarenteed huge money without need for success

Marcus

Glazers were waiting for the ESL payday. When that tanked, they probably lost all interest in the club.

SuperiorXI

For any that think this is a good idea, just take a look at who is in charge of this. You've got Perez the ultimate spoilt brat who branded us "legacy fans", interested only in keeping Real Madrid at the top and money coming in. The Glazers, we all know about those leeches... and that's just the tip of the iceberg. These guys do not represent the betterment of football but the betterment of their personal wealth and situations.

I know that UEFA are no angels but these lot mark my words are in another realm of cuntishness. ESL just seems like step one to American-style franchise football.