Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Any league that has "super" in it are guaranteed to be underwhelming. That's why they use the word super to gain attention and to brainwash people. It's like when average shows are using loud laughing tracks to make people think it's funny.

cedara

Any league that has "super" in it are guaranteed to be underwhelming. That's why they use the word super to gain attention and to brainwash people. It's like when average shows are using loud laughing tracks to make people think it's funny.
You meant Super Bowl? if that's average show, then how big is Europa League or UEFA Europa Conference League ?

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
What was the plan for referees in this super league?

I'm surprised they aren't trying to sell the competition based on the woeful EPL officiating of recent.

SoCross

They are bringing in crap reforms to the CL aren’t they, pretty much guaranteeing spots to the big clubs.

Anyone with more in-depth knowledge on this ?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You meant Super Bowl? if that's average show, then how big is Europa League or UEFA Europa Conference League ?
I mean considering how much of it is actual sport and how much is ads and some overhyped half time show its pretty mediocre, depending how you look at it.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Premier post

Jericho

If you think the Premier League is dull as shit you should just pick a new sport. We went from a 2 team league 20 years ago to a league were there are up to 6 potential title challengers at the beginning of every season. Top 6/8 teams are usually tight, even if there is the odd breakaway league leader, European place competition is super tight. The only thing tighter is the regulation battles. And on any given day, any team can beat any team, you could have relegation fodder beating the champs, with ease, as likely as you are to see a top 4 team beat a relegation team. It's the greatest league in the world, maybe not even limited to football, I don't know any other sports leagues as exciting.
I agree with some of what you say, but the bolded part is just completely untrue. It can happen that a relegation team can beat the champions. But it usually doesn't happen. League titles are being won with record point, the champions don't lose very often at all.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I agree with some of what you say, but the bolded part is just completely untrue. It can happen that a relegation team can beat the champions. But it usually doesn't happen. League titles are being won with record point, the champions don't lose very often at all.
The season Liverpool won the PL at a canter, they lost 3-0 to Watford.

Everyone can beat everyone in this league, there are no easy games on paper. Newly promoted teams are spending 100m, and relegation fodder can easily splash 30-40 million on a player.

This current PL is probably peak football in terms of competition.

phelans shorts

The season Liverpool won the PL at a canter, they lost 3-0 to Watford.

Everyone can beat everyone in this league, there are no easy games on paper. Newly promoted teams are spending 100m, and relegation fodder can easily splash 30-40 million on a player.

This current PL is probably peak football in terms of competition.
This is absolute nonsense. Inflation =/= competition. The league is as uncompetitive as its ever been

Spaghetti

Mom's
This is absolute nonsense. Inflation =/= competition. The league is as uncompetitive as its ever been
Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion (though maybe you could work a bit on expressing it in a politer way).

I think that the lower teams are infinitely better than they were in the 80s and 90s.

stevoc

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion (though maybe you could work a bit on expressing it in a politer way).

I think that the lower teams are infinitely better than they were in the 80s and 90s.
Perhaps but they're further away from being able to challenge for the title or even a top 4 spot than ever.

In the 90's a local millionaire could buy a club and fund them to promotion to the PL and then onto a title challenge/win.

Zero chance of that happening now with Gulf states and billionaires owning the top clubs. And thats without even mentioning the likes of United and Liverpool still having massive incomes.

Last edited:

Uniquim

Tbh, I'm not against some league mergers, especially in smaller leagues, as long as there's promotion and relegation.
Like, a single Scandinavian league, a Former Yugoslavian league, Benelux League, Swiss-Austrian league maybe, and stuff like that could help teams generate interest and better economy, and possibly attract more players to their main leagues, and in time make them more competitive in continental football again.

Could do continental qualification through highest ranked teams from each nations, or qualify them through a play-off between the best teams in the league system, or through cups, and you only need the main league to be a league mergers, and each country could have their own second tier.

I love the current systems, but I really miss teams from smaller countries being more competitive. There are still some teams that crop up now and then like the Dutch teams, Slavia Prague etc., but it'd be nice with some more consistency outside of the biggest leagues.

The alternative being that the economy in football changes so we can retain national league, but the bigger league being a bit less dominant.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The inevitable result of the PL having so much more money than other leagues, plus Brexit, is an European Super League without English clubs.

KeanoMagicHat

Tbh, I'm not against some league mergers, especially in smaller leagues, as long as there's promotion and relegation.
Like, a single Scandinavian league, a Former Yugoslavian league, Benelux League, Swiss-Austrian league maybe, and stuff like that could help teams generate interest and better economy, and possibly attract more players to their main leagues, and in time make them more competitive in continental football again.

Could do continental qualification through highest ranked teams from each nations, or qualify them through a play-off between the best teams in the league system, or through cups, and you only need the main league to be a league mergers, and each country could have their own second tier.

I love the current systems, but I really miss teams from smaller countries being more competitive. There are still some teams that crop up now and then like the Dutch teams, Slavia Prague etc., but it'd be nice with some more consistency outside of the biggest leagues.

The alternative being that the economy in football changes so we can retain national league, but the bigger league being a bit less dominant.
You're right and a lot of people don't realise that a lot of smaller European leagues are broken as well, the European bonuses give millions to the league leaders...who win the league... then get into Europe again and get more money... win again and it ends up in a loop where certain teams can win 8-10 leagues in a row.

justboy68

I can see the big Italian and Spanish clubs doing it, with maybe a sprinkling of Portuguese teams like Benfica, Porto and Sporting. There seems to be much less resistance to it over there. Germany and France won't.

The idea of some league mergers overall with promotion and relegation could be a good thing as mentioned above for the smaller leagues, but very different principles behind it to the monopoly these big teams are pushing for with their 'super league'.

cyberman

The inevitable result of the PL having so much more money than other leagues, plus Brexit, is an European Super League without English clubs.
It just won’t work. Especially with no Bayern or PSG.
It’ll just look sad really.

DickDastardly

Oh, you don't want to go there.

Trust me.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Brexit really doesn’t have much effect on professional sports beyond the need for visas and work permits. If there was more, it would have been felt already.

Beyond that yes the PL has a lot of money and yes clubs like Barcelona are struggling but the Spanish economy as a whole has been tragic ever since the last recession.

In terms of a super league? I can’t see it happening at all. The reason they’re threatening the English clubs with court over the whole thing suggests to me that there is NO league without them. English clubs bring the money and the sponsorships.

But they can go ahead and merge Spain with Italy. La Serie A.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Perhaps but they're further away from being able to challenge for the title or even a top 4 spot than ever.

In the 90's a local millionaire could buy a club and fund them to promotion to the PL and then onto a title challenge/win.

Zero chance of that happening now with Gulf states and billionaires owning the top clubs. And thats without even mentioning the likes of United and Liverpool still having massive incomes.
I’m general yes (if we are ignoring Leicester), and it’s because the quality is already very high. Surely this shows that teams are stronger?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Sports authorities exist to exercise their own power and increase their own influence. There is zero chance of national associations giving any of that away.

Clubs could seize power themselves, premier-league style, and do something cross-border, which wouldn't bother me but it's the sort of thing many are against in the first place.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
A super league only works with promotion and relegation and it would have to run alongside the normal leagues otherwise I don't see the point.
The revamp to the CL is basically heading that way and I don't think that's a positive change already.

As long as English teams stay far away from it I'm not too bothered what other countries and clubs do.

phelans shorts

There’s two possible winners, and they will in all likelihood have more points after 28 games than third will after 38. The only league less competitive is the Bundesliga. I would add Ligue Un but PSG do their best to make that competitive every couple of years.

The level of competition is shocking and only getting worse.

Spaghetti

Mom's
There’s two possible winners, and they will in all likelihood have more points after 28 games than third will after 38. The only league less competitive is the Bundesliga. I would add Ligue Un but PSG do their best to make that competitive every couple of years.

The level of competition is shocking and only getting worse.
One of those has only won 1 league in the last 30 odd years. And despite what you have said, there have been 4 different winners in the last 7 seasons.

Of course one or two teams will be stronger than the others. Anyway, the league is very competitive throughout (not just for finishing 1st). Arsenal and United finished 5th and 6th last season; would you consider any fixtures to be “easy” for them?

stevoc

I’m general yes (if we are ignoring Leicester), and it’s because the quality is already very high. Surely this shows that teams are stronger?
Well obviously all the teams are stronger as there's so much money in English football the club who finishes bottom of the league still makes more than most other clubs in Europe.

But the middle and bottom teams being stronger relative to 20-30 years ago doesn't necessarily equal the league being more competitive across the board. There's basically a glass ceiling that no club outside the top 6 have a hope of realistically ever breaking into without the backing of the investment fund of a Gulf state or a bored Oligarch.

fps

Well obviously all the teams are stronger as there's so much money in English football the club who finishes bottom of the league still makes more than most other clubs in Europe.

But the middle and bottom teams being stronger relative to 20-30 years ago doesn't necessarily equal the league being more competitive across the board. There's basically a glass ceiling that no club outside the top 6 have a hope of realistically ever breaking into without the backing of the investment fund of a Gulf state or a bored Oligarch.
It also doesn't mean it's any more fun to watch.

Spaghetti

Mom's

The season before last (2020-21), both Arsenal and Tottenham finished outside that rock solid top 6. United were extremely fortunate to stay in it last season (2021-22).

Of course it’s strong because of money, it’s hardly a secret that the EPL has a shit tonne of money at the moment.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The season before last (2020-21), both Arsenal and Tottenham finished outside that rock solid top 6. United were extremely fortunate to stay in it last season (2021-22).

Of course it’s strong because of money, it’s hardly a secret that the EPL has a shit tonne of money at the moment.
The league is far less competitive than several decades ago. You could win the league while losing 6 matches, and most teams would lose at least 10 games a season. You could lose 14 matches and still finish 4th.

The league is currently a top 2 that dicks on everyone almost every week. If either of them draw it’s a shock. The top 6 never really changes. Teams that come up routinely go down. The league is pretty predictable.

Lecland07

Even if you combine La Liga and Serie A, the Premier League is still bigger. 6.1bn compared to the combined 5.7bn from those two league. It sounds like sour grapes that the Premier League is on another level of popularity.

The Premier League is also growing at a faster rate than the other leagues.

Mentioning Brexit is quite funny - the Spanish teams would ditch the Italians clubs without a thought if it was a choice between them and the English. They go where the money is.

Last edited:

stevoc

There will be season where the odd team finishes 5th or 6th but it hardly negates my point. Spurs and Arsenal spent big and got back into the top 6.

Finishing 5th or 6th is possible some years but that's the end of the road for the majority of the teams in the league.