Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

Skills

Snitch
They should just merge Serie A, La Liga and Portuguese league. Though, I can imagine it'll piss off the fanbases of the successful clubs who'll end up also ran-ins to Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Skills

Snitch
I think the majority of fans would very much want it if it's done right
Maybe in Spain or italy. It'd price out fans from away games if they're having to fly across Europe every week - which is a huge part of English football culture.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
They should just merge Serie A, La Liga and Portuguese league. Though, I can imagine it'll piss off the fanbases of the successful clubs who'll end up also ran-ins to Real Madrid and Barcelona.
Italy has more football heritage than Spain, and Portugal is no slouch with so kinda of a dumb move and also disrespectful.

Edit: i suppose you actually meant a super leagues just for those clubs? Sorry I didn't understood what you were getting at.

tomaldinho1

Doesn't really make sense to me, they'd have the normal CL and then their league will inevitably be just battling it out with many of the same teams. Everyone is clamping down on ESG values now as well and a league where every other game is an international flight seems like madness.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe in Spain or italy. It'd price out fans from away games if they're having to fly across Europe every week - which is a huge part of English football culture.
Yes, i was specifically talking about a superleague involving spanish and italian sides
what is your interpretation of what the super league would look like?
Replace domestic leagues, jointly held by the FAs, pyramid system stays the same. Basically just a normal domestic league with a pyramid tier system but including multiple FAs instead of one

Skills

Snitch
Italy has more football heritage than Spain, and Portugal is no slouch with so kinda of a dumb move and also disrespectful.

Edit: i suppose you actually meant a super leagues just for those clubs? Sorry I didn't understood what you were getting at.
I meant a southern europe league. Replace their domestic leagues with the best 20 clubs across La Liga, Italy and Portugal.

redshaw

Seems to go against the environmental damage concerns increasing travel across Europe. Probably best to have these games as special occasions like we have now. Mainland Europe is burning up yet want to chase more money over the environment. It's funny I grew up with Italy being dominant, then Spain but England can't have even a semblance of it without the crying.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I meant a southern europe league. Replace their domestic leagues with the best 20 clubs across La Liga, Italy and Portugal.
Oh, then I strongly disagree, aside from their respective heritage I'd imagine that would severely mess up the player development in each one of those countries, I really don't think it would be a good idea.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
No offense but that's a very stupid and arrogant thought.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Guys ESL not gonna replace national championships.
No way Serie A or Liga or whatever gonna merge with other leagues.
IT will never happen that to accomodate few teams they're gonna kill all the others.

ESL gonna replace Champions League and Europa League
I dunno what propaganda they sold you in England but this is it.

Basically some teams don't want UEFA taking such a big piece of pie and they wanna remove the intermediary called UEFA and handle everything directly.

It won't be the first format that leaked (no actual documents or words by anyone) and it won't include english teams anyway

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Guys ESL not gonna replace national championships.
No way Serie A or Liga or whatever gonna merge with other leagues.
IT will never happen that to accomodate few teams they're gonna kill all the others.

ESL gonna replace Champions League and Europa League
I dunno what propaganda they sold you in England but this is it.

Basically some teams don't want UEFA taking such a big piece of pie and they wanna remove the intermediary called UEFA and handle everything directly.

It won't be the first format that leaked (no actual documents or words by anyone) and it won't include english teams anyway
Bayern and PSG won't join. English clubs are excluded too. So what exactly is this ESL about ? ESL won't fly without English clubs . It's a sad reality.

Hughes35

I think the majority of fans would very much want it if it's done right
I'm surprised you say that to be honest. I see very little appeal.

The joy of football is things like local rivalry. An USL means none of that matters anymore. If a USL happens then I'd stop supporting tbh.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
In terms of a super league, I think that were it to happen the novelty would wear off quickly, certainly for fans. Fans of giant clubs that are used to winning / competing for league titles on a regular basis, would have to settle for more frequent mid-table mediocrity or even finishing near the bottom of the league, which wouldn't go down too well.

A major reason why all of the biggest clubs have such huge global fanbases is because they regularly win matches and more crucially compete for and win major trophies. A Super League makes that considerably less likely.

clarkydaz

years ago when you could start watching Rangers v Celtic on sky i thought wow, this is gonna be mega. Then i realised they play 3 times a season and really took the shine off it. Eat too many sweets and you get a bellyache

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Madrid with their huge debt
You lot can take your arrogance and drown in your debt, I hope we and the other teams don’t sign up to bale you all out.
Madrid don't need bailing out. Our debt has always been manageable and is geared towards building infrastructure, unlike United's debt which is meant to enrich its owners. By end-2023 our stadium will be complete and over the next few years add an extra 100-300m (depending on what you read) to our revenues. The annual debt repayment will be in the 40m range for the next 25-30 years.
do I want United getting that money? No, it would go straight into the pockets of the shareholders. United would see little increase in their spending. It’s not worth changing what football is all about just to give the glazers more money.
This is a separate issue that you are conflating ... getting rid of your owners and being part of a prestigious/profitable tournament are two different things.
Barca playing Russian roulette with their future as a club, Italian teams all being broke.
Any team can be wasteful with its money and its not as if Barca/Italian teams have filed for bankruptcy. Spending habits is not the issue here. The issue is if European football fans deserve an 'NBA' of their own.

FatTails

It will replace the champions league, not the local leagues. People still going on about extra travel and not being able to play against the mighty Brentford :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Madrid don't need bailing out. Our debt has always been manageable and is geared towards building infrastructure, unlike United's debt which is meant to enrich its owners. By end-2023 our stadium will be complete and over the next few years add an extra 100-300m (depending on what you read) to our revenues. The annual debt repayment will be in the 40m range for the next 25-30 years.

This is a separate issue that you are conflating ... getting rid of your owners and being part of a prestigious/profitable tournament are two different things.

Any team can be wasteful with its money and its not as if Barca/Italian teams have filed for bankruptcy. Spending habits is not the issue here. The issue is if European football fans deserve an 'NBA' of their own.
Well since the majority of English fans told them where to shove their ESL you can go play globetrotters elsewhere

golden_blunder

Staff
In terms of a super league, I think that were it to happen the novelty would wear off quickly, certainly for fans. Fans of giant clubs that are used to winning / competing for league titles on a regular basis, would have to settle for more frequent mid-table mediocrity or even finishing near the bottom of the league, which wouldn't go down too well.

A major reason why all of the biggest clubs have such huge global fanbases is because they regularly win matches and more crucially compete for and win major trophies. A Super League makes that considerably less likely.
People also like the luck of the draw seeing who you have to play in the CL or the romance of a small club playing a big club. That’s what excites fans. Playing Madrid 6 times a season is pointless and it will soon wear off. Then it’s too late.

Nogbadthebad

People also like the luck of the draw seeing who you have to play in the CL or the romance of a small club playing a big club. That’s what excites fans. Playing Madrid 6 times a season is pointless and it will soon wear off. Then it’s too late.
In a world of 4 grand electric bills, 3 hours customs queues and so on, it would pretty much end away support too.

ostracising the most hardcore of youyr fanbase is never a good idea.

Alonzo

“the issue is if European fans deserve an ‘NBA’ of their own”
An NBA without English teams is more like the Canadian Basketball League. You can have it haha

::sonny::

Barca, Real, Milan and Inter. Impressive super league.
Atletico, Juve, Porto, Benfica, Sporting, Ajax, Psv, Anderlect, Lyon, Sevilla, Villarreal, Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Olympiakos, Valencia, Betis…

Marcus

This is the entire Glazer ownership strategy. Don't even need Top 4 anymore. Only Barca and Madrid want this more. Wipe away the folly of their financial mismanagement.

GazTheLegend

It's unbelievable to me how much I hate football and still come back. I don't use the word "hate" lightly here either: I hate UEFA, I hate FIFA, I hate the Spanish supergiants and their endless whining and cheating that goes to their core, I hate that we let gangsters run our clubs (and I mean pretty much ALL our clubs). I hate the way they think of the fans as cash cows to be milked and nothing more. Everyone knows football sold its soul and every player in it has bought completely into that narrative today, so no doubt a superleague would be a quality league, but the way the fans of other leagues talk about it and simply don't care about any fairness at all... (Remembering we at man Utd would absolutely be invited, we are a fat cow still after all)... It's sickening to me.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I would like a super league with English teams and I would even add South American teams and teams from other continents if there were several categories.
I think it would mean a renaissance in South America and a definitive boost in the United States.
I totally rule out the merger of leagues. The Super League should be seen as an evolution of elite football, not the destruction of leagues. I'm pro Superliga but above all I'm pro Florentino, so I really don't care, as if he decides to play 10 times a year against Juve and Barça
That really already happens at the national level between league, cup and super cup / community shield.
Even in the Champions League, where for example, Madrid has become accustomed to playing against PSG, Chelsea or City.
You are right about the romanticism of small teams, for example Sheriff. Although they won at the Bernabéu, it would surely be more interesting for them to get into a B or C league and play weekly against medium teams from the big leagues, and between that romanticism and playing annually (and not every 10 years) against United, I would prefer the latter .
Surely my opinion would be different if I felt that Sheriff could be a potential winner, like Steaua or Red Star. I think those surprises are not going to happen anymore.
It is dealing with the football of 2022 with the circumstances of 1995.
In the same way Sporting 0-City 5 or Bayern 7-Salzburg 1 in a knockout round, are not fun or healthy results. It is insisting with a shoehorn on playing teams that are not at the same level, and they will not be, because UEFA does not distribute enough money, does not exercise any type of real control with certain teams (City and PSG) and because goodwill is not going to change the current football and the increasingly wide differences, visible in the winners of the national leagues

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
That really already happens at the national level between league, cup and super cup / community shield.
Even in the Champions League, where for example, Madrid has become accustomed to playing against PSG, Chelsea or City.
You are right about the romanticism of small teams, for example Sheriff. Although they won at the Bernabéu, it would surely be more interesting for them to get into a B or C league and play weekly against medium teams from the big leagues, and between that romanticism and playing annually (and not every 10 years) against United, I would prefer the latter .
Surely my opinion would be different if I felt that Sheriff could be a potential winner, like Steaua or Red Star. I think those surprises are not going to happen anymore.
It is dealing with the football of 2022 with the circumstances of 1995.
In the same way Sporting 0-City 5 or Bayern 7-Salzburg 1 in a knockout round, are not fun or healthy results. It is insisting with a shoehorn on playing teams that are not at the same level, and they will not be, because UEFA does not distribute enough money, does not exercise any type of real control with certain teams (City and PSG) and because goodwill is not going to change the current football and the increasingly wide differences, visible in the winners of the national leagues
Money needs to be better redistributed, yes, but the Super League imho is a terrible way of doing it.
This also, of course, depends on what the Super League really is, which lately has been changing in format depending on the wishes of who is talking about it.
The originally proposed closed league with some yearly invitations is an absolute thrash fire, closed leagues of big universes like football are anti-merit and so anti-sport. They're nothing more than a soap opera on grass.

Also instead of putting the blame on UEFA really remember that the clubs also decided it to be this way. UEFA money redistribution can only go so far, rich clubs get a lot more money from sources that UEFA doesn't control.
If you want UEFA to do those things then give UEFA more power - good luck with the national federations and clubs agreeing with it :lol:
The solution for those knockouts is to bridge the gap between Sporting + Salzburg and Bayern + City, intead the super league way of solving it is to get rid of Sporting and Salzburg, treating them as nuisances to the system.

golden_blunder

Staff
Money needs to be better redistributed, yes, but the Super League imho is a terrible way of doing it.
This also, of course, depends on what the Super League really is, which lately has been changing in format depending on the wishes of who is talking about it.
The originally proposed closed league with some yearly invitations is an absolute thrash fire,
closed leagues of big universes like football are anti-merit and so anti-sport. They're nothing more than a soap opera on grass.

Also instead of putting the blame on UEFA really remember that the clubs also decided it to be this way. UEFA money redistribution can only go so far, rich clubs get a lot more money from sources that UEFA doesn't control.
If you want UEFA to do those things then give UEFA more power - good luck with the national federations and clubs agreeing with it :lol:
The solution for those knockouts is to bridge the gap between Sporting + Salzburg and Bayern + City, intead the super league way of solving it is to get rid of Sporting and Salzburg, treating them as nuisances to the system.
Agreed, and we learned immediately the diving factor/motivation behind it is money to the big clubs. No reason to think that they’ve changed that motivation in the next iteration

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Cannot see it happening because there are too many clubs that won't/can't join.

English and German Clubs: won't join as politically English/German fans won't accept it due to the impact on their domestic leagues.

French Clubs: won't join for similar reasons to the English and German clubs, whilst the biggest French club PSG are now cozy with UEFA and know they'll get handicapped in any new format via FFP.

Portugese and Dutch clubs: Will be wary of becoming like the also rans in La Liga 10 years down the line (as let's be real the distribution model isn't going to be like the PL.)

I see the big Spanish and Italian clubs being up for this, but they'll still have trouble with the their FA'S. Then their is the issue of FIFA, I could see them pulling a PGA type move and banning all players from international football that play in tournaments that aren't affiliated.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Agreed, and we learned immediately the diving factor/motivation behind it is money to the big clubs. No reason to think that they’ve changed that motivation in the next iteration
But but… the exact point of a ESL is not to please the English clubs… on the contrary, if ever, a continental aggregation aimed at countering the EPL’s unrivalled ability to generate excitement and revenues. It is not the national leagues going away, just a new midweek league in the mould of the current basketball Euroleague imho… with playoffs and possibly a final four in May.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The new version of the UCL is basically the ESL isn’t it?

golden_blunder

Staff
But but… the exact point of a ESL is not to please the English clubs… on the contrary, if ever, a continental aggregation aimed at countering the EPL’s unrivalled ability to generate excitement and revenues. It is not the national leagues going away, just a new midweek league in the mould of the current basketball Euroleague imho… with playoffs and possibly a final four in May.
Fans of English clubs saw through this nonsense first time round

go ahead without the big English clubs. Interest won’t last long

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
For those talking about the portuguese big 3 joining, there is no way this happens.

In 88 editions of the portuguese league, the big 3 have won 86. They exist the way they exist because they always win. If one of them finishes outside the top 3 it's a huge surprise and an instant crisis that often causes presidents to fall and fans to protest.

Now they will become cannon fodder for the big boys every week? No way.

Also, these 3 clubs have fans all over the country, in Portugal 90% (probably more) of the fans don't support the club of their city or town, they support the big 3 and the other clubs are an extra entertainment. When the clubs travel, they mostly have different fans watching live. If Benfica goes to Algarve, their fans there get to watch them live, if Benfica goes to the north, their fans in that city/town get to watch them live. This keeps excitement alive for fans all over the country. Very few would travel outside of Portugal to watch it. They remain fans because they at least once a year they get to watch them live, regardless of where they live. Add international matches every week and you're wiping a huge chunk of their fanbase.

The big 3 would be suicidal if they decided to enter a super league.

cyberman

Fans of English clubs saw through this nonsense first time round

go ahead without the big English clubs. Interest won’t last long
It sounds really shit. Barca, Madrid and Juve looking for level 2 filler behind them so they can hoover up all the money and guarantees to be involved in what ever play off nonsense they go with.

golden_blunder

Staff
It sounds really shit. Barca, Madrid and Juve looking for level 2 filler behind them so they can hoover up all the money and guarantees to be involved in what ever play off nonsense they go with.
Exactly. It’s a way for them to make more money and pay their bills

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
For those talking about the portuguese big 3 joining, there is no way this happens.

In 88 editions of the portuguese league, the big 3 have won 86. They exist the way they exist because they always win. If one of them finishes outside the top 3 it's a huge surprise and an instant crisis that often causes presidents to fall and fans to protest.

Now they will become cannon fodder for the big boys every week? No way.

Also, these 3 clubs have fans all over the country, in Portugal 90% (probably more) of the fans don't support the club of their city or town, they support the big 3 and the other clubs are an extra entertainment. When the clubs travel, they mostly have different fans watching live. If Benfica goes to Algarve, their fans there get to watch them live, if Benfica goes to the north, their fans in that city/town get to watch them live. This keeps excitement alive for fans all over the country. Very few would travel outside of Portugal to watch it. They remain fans because they at least once a year they get to watch them live, regardless of where they live. Add international matches every week and you're wiping a huge chunk of their fanbase.

The big 3 would be suicidal if they decided to enter a super league.
Good point, I knew the Portuguese teams wouldn't be keen but hadn't factored the way they're supported across the country (although I was aware of how teams in Portugal are supported.)

As I said earlier, this is not going to happen. The only people/fans that do seem to be in favour are the Spanish Big 2 (Atleti would probably go along as well) and Juve. However, the problem for them, is they're thinking about how football works for their clubs/in their own countries; this doesn't translate.

Indeed. Sounds fecking shite. These teams have got away with beggering their own leagues so they can line their own pockets and have helped create the PL monster since they're not competitive enough. Now they want teams from Europe to help them repeat the trick.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The originally proposed closed league with some yearly invitations is an absolute thrash fire, closed leagues of big universes like football are anti-merit and so anti-sport. They're nothing more than a soap opera on grass.

If they offer promotion and relegation would people accept it? If not what will be the reason?
I don't know if giving more money to Uefa is the solution, the same Uefa that has been for years involved in corruption and failed to implement FFP.
They accept those conditions because they really have no alternative, hence they denounce the monopoly and try to make a more lucrative competition as happened with the basket Euroleague.
This idea was not invented by Florentino, it comes from a long time ago.
How are they going to reduce the gap between teams and leagues, a gap that is already abysmal in the big leagues themselves? Are they going to control PSG and City? Is tipping Salzburg or Sporting going to increase the interest in those leagues and the audience?
I think a league with teams at their level would be more effective(I think the idea of a B or C league is very interesting and essential. )

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
If they offer promotion and relegation would people accept it? If not what will be the reason?
I don't know if giving more money to Uefa is the solution, the same Uefa that has been for years involved in corruption and failed to implement FFP.
They accept those conditions because they really have no alternative, hence they denounce the monopoly and try to make a more lucrative competition as happened with the basket Euroleague.
This idea was not invented by Florentino, it comes from a long time ago.
How are they going to reduce the gap between teams and leagues, a gap that is already abysmal in the big leagues themselves? Are they going to control PSG and City? Is tipping Salzburg or Sporting going to increase the interest in those leagues and the audience?
I think a league with teams at their level would be more effective(I think the idea of a B or C league is very interesting and essential. )
In short, no.