Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I hate to say this but even Dan James is better than Rashford currently.

AFC NimbleThumb

Are you of the view that there isn't enough hate in the Mc Tominay thread?

The only reason that would be the case is that there are about 10 threads in the which the MC Tominay hatred is distributed.
No I’m of the view that if people are going to call our players ’dumb’ they shouldn’t rush to the keyboard to do so after they miss a good chance. It was a infantile response by the poster cause they were upset that he should have scored not a comment about his gameplay.

I mention McTominay because if we’re going to call our players ‘dumb’ surely the guy that hides behind opposition players so he can’t be passed to is heads & shoulders above a just above average winger.

ash_86

His technique of shielding the ball is very poor and so his close control and hence he can never play back to goal. In premier league he gets handled too easily because of these.

LeVoyageur

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
Just a overrated player!
He don't even deserve to be on the Man Utd bench

led_scholes

No I’m of the view that if people are going to call our players ’dumb’ they shouldn’t rush to the keyboard to do so after they miss a good chance. It was a infantile response by the poster cause they were upset that he should have scored not a comment about his gameplay.

I mention McTominay because if we’re going to call our players ‘dumb’ surely the guy that hides behind opposition players so he can’t be passed to is heads & shoulders above a just above average winger.
Rashford has proved in more than one game, that he is not really smart footballing wise.

McT has proved that he is painfully average and not really smart too. But if your way to "protect" Rashford is to call out posters not because they are mean to the the player, but because they are not - according to you - equally mean to other players, it's just weird. And I think no one in this forum rates McT, while people somehow still rate Rashford, even if it is clear that he is just an overpaid player with questionable attitude.

Teja

His technique of shielding the ball is very poor and so his close control and hence he can never play back to goal. In premier league he gets handled too easily because of these.
Lukaku's treatment is really unfair given there are players like Rashford with worse touch and close control than the guy.

Seriously can anyone point me to one instance where a ball is pinged to him between the lines by a midfielder and he does something productive with it rather than ping it back with equal force to the CB?

All he's good at is making runs in behind repeatedly and hoping someone plays him through. The rest of his game passing, dribbling, close control, first touch is all crap.

I had hoped he can become a Werner like player for us but that dream has long faded.

Gurtej

I have been saying from long time now, he isn't a good player. Average at best....

Average player with bad attitude (even yesterday I saw him standing still and not running)...

He can't dribble for god sake, always bumps into the defender....can't finish...can't be bothered to run....

He should have been sold like yesterday and anyone thinks somehow ETH is going to make him great is fecking clueless...Leopards don't change their spots....He is toxic, average at best and doesn't deserve to make 200K a week for god fecking sake....

ash_86

Lukaku's treatment is really unfair given there are players like Rashford with worse touch and close control than the guy.

Seriously can anyone point me to one instance where a ball is pinged to him between the lines by a midfielder and he does something productive with it rather than ping it back with equal force to the CB?

All he's good at is making runs in behind repeatedly and hoping someone plays him through. The rest of his game passing, dribbling, close control, first touch is all crap.

I had hoped he can become a Werner like player for us but that dream has long faded.
I don't rate both tbh. Some of the transfer fees thrown at Lukaku is not justified at all and he blatantly disrespects his clubs. Rashford while being free has no right starting ever game for a top 6 club.

alexanderplatz

The lad looked so bereft of confidence yesterday and it’s not coming back at United. He has had the summer, games and seemingly the confidence of the manager yet all that is still not enough to get into it. Can’t keep burning through players but he really is a passenger now and doesn’t offer much. He can prob get back to some sort of form elsewhere but sometimes you need a change of scene.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We should have cashed in when his stock was high.

If the ball is in the air forget about him even making a challenge.

Trossard for Brighton is a better player, and Welbeck always has been.

We need an rvn

So many things wrong with him sadly.

In the past I have said he needs a tlc manager to thrive but he's had plenty of that now and he's still not performing.

He's had a full preseason - another excuse used in the past for not being fit enough etc.

He physically can't be shot at this age, so all I can think of is the burden of playing for Man Utd that is getting to him

It's been too many years now of not performing but we'll have to put up with him for another season at least

Borys

Statistics Wizard
There is no "form" when it comes to Rashford. It has not been the case for 2 years now.
It's quite simple. Give him time and space to run, he will be dangerous. On the other hand, when he's against packed defense he's meh. Usually one defender is enough to keep him silent. He isn't good at possession game, IMO he's stuck between being a CF and LW, and in the end he's neither.
Not excited about him. I am surprised he's so highly rated but maybe it's in the UK.

ForeverRed1

There is no "form" when it comes to Rashford. It has not been the case for 2 years now.
It's quite simple. Give him time and space to run, he will be dangerous. On the other hand, when he's against packed defense he's meh. Usually one defender is enough to keep him silent. He isn't good at possession game, IMO he's stuck between being a CF and LW, and in the end he's neither.
Not excited about him. I am surprised he's so highly rated but maybe it's in the UK.
Time and space to run… the issue with that is he plays in the PL, he doesn’t get that. Maybe he’d do better in a slower league like the Italian league.l, I’m just not sure his game suits the PL.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’m not saying it as an excuse but he just doesn’t look the same after his injury.

It’s made an already average dribbler even easier to read.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Absolutely not, he's fecking shite and has been for more than a year. But we decided to buy a back up left back, a CB when we didn't need one instead of sorting out the positions that we needed to. So now we're stuck with him because we have feck all else alternativesb

AndySmith1990

I'm surprised he's not transformed into a brilliant footballer over the summer. I mean he posted that photo of himself in the gym looking shredded afterall

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Time and space to run… the issue with that is he plays in the PL, he doesn’t get that. Maybe he’d do better in a slower league like the Italian league.l, I’m just not sure his game suits the PL.
Yes I agree.
But we can do something to be make it easier - improve transition from defense to attack. Martinez starting attacks, or a midfielder who can pass the ball can make it happen. But in a system of slow transition and possession game he's doomed.

ForeverRed1

Yes I agree.
But we can do something to be make it easier - improve transition from defense to attack. Martinez starting attacks, or a midfielder who can pass the ball can make it happen. But in a system of slow transition and possession game he's doomed.
oh for sure, that midfield isn’t helping anyone..

kaiser00

Somebody really needs to mentor him, perhaps Benny can get his witch doctor on the case. Should of kept Dan James, at least he gets stuck in and was far better at pressing.

RashyGiggsy

Except for late substitues, there were 5 people playing in attack at different times in the game against Brighton: Rashford, Sancho, Ronaldo and Erickson & Bruno as false 9's. Rashford, of course, did not score but he had 4 chances at goal, which is 4 more than Sancho and Ronaldo, and 3 more than Bruno and Erickson. Of course, overall Erickson played better, but the Rashford-bashing is unwarranted. He was the most effective forward that United had in the match yesterday against Brighton.

Sanchez made a very good save or he would have scored, which is not to say that Rashford's attempt could not have been a bit better. But it was the best chance we had all match. Again, Rashford was the most effective attacking player, considering that Erickson was really playing mostly in midfield.

RashyGiggsy

As you say it’s a Rashford thread so I’ll expect the same energy in the McTominay & Shaw threads from you.

Incredibly dumb is the fact certain players get labelled dumb over others. . . but by all means sit behind your keyboard & be selective.
There are certain "tones" as to why some players get labeled dumb and others don't.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Best thing about him is the length of his contract. We better not retain another dud (spoiler: we will).

Here is the real issue. People don't like what Rashford does off the pitch.
Razor-sharp, original logic from one of our newbies. Mods, promote this man on the spot.

Kaizane

One of Rashford's biggest issues is that football doesn't come natural to him. You can see the cogs spinning in his head when he's on the ball so he will either lose it before he's made a decision or if he does make a decision, it'll be the wrong one 9/10. Similar example is Chong. No football IQ and so moves just break down; the only difference is Rashford is capable of moments.

I can't see him making it in Ten Hag's long term vision where consistently high football IQ is needed. His teams never relied on explosive pace or even wonderfully gifted footballers, but players who can consistently make the right decision with the ball (Blind is a good example of this).

Ten Hag probably sees it already but good luck trying to bench the face of United overnight.

Jacob

While Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba, Bruno and Cavani are fit and at their best, where does that leave Rashford when he's back?

If we replace Cavani with Haaland next summer, the situation looks even worse. I'm assuming Pogba stays.

Is there a place for Rashford as a mainstay in our strongest XI?
Amazing how all of this was wrong a year later and Rashford still maintains a regular spot.

Greenwood gone, Cavani gone, Ronaldo signed, Haaland gone elsewhere, Pogba gone, Sancho underwhelming. This is how Rashford survives.

Greck

As you say it’s a Rashford thread so I’ll expect the same energy in the McTominay & Shaw threads from you.

Incredibly dumb is the fact certain players get labelled dumb over others. . . but by all means sit behind your keyboard & be selective.
Who is a worse decisionmaker than Rashford currently going under the radar? The criticism seems to really be triggering you but whataboutism isn't going to make it any less untrue. At best those other players are also dumb decisionmakers as is Rashford. What makes Rashford's really stand out is he has the physical attribute and talent to not be gash in possession.

scottser

It's almost as if he doesn't want anything more to do with football after his penalty miss for England in the euros and the unwarranted reaction to it. He's phoning it in until his contract ends. I'd be amazed if he's offered another pro contract - his heart just isn't in the game anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.