Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevil@84

He completed his surgery just a few days back and already there is a thread about him not having a position.

The guy at 23 years of age has 88 goals and 56 assists in all competitions in first team.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I mean, Sancho's been playing at an incredibly high level for a couple of seasons now, so it's pretty clear why people would believe that. He's not exactly an unproven kid.

I think Rashford is awesome. I also think Sancho is better.
Well there has been plenty of players who have played for Dortmund and has been average when moving to other teams.

Sancho could be better, but he still has to prove it at United.

Rashford has been one of our top 3 performers nearly in every season - with numbers that are amazing in the PL and would be increase near double if he played for Dortmund aswell.

Sancho being better than him in the PL is a bit of a guesswork, because we have not seen it yet.

It could be argued that even for England that Rashford has had a better career than Sancho even if its the managers fault.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Depends which version of Rashford we are talking about. On top form - absolutely. If based on form he has shown during 2nd half of last season - we would be better off playing him on bench or as impact sub.

stw2022

Rashford by his own words felt his form and play last season let the club down. Yet still there’s the trying to pretend that Rashford was even vaguely comparable to Ferdandes last season proving shows what utter nonsense stats for the sake of stats are.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I hope Ole plays by form, not by name. And then, he really needs to hit top form if he wants to have his place back. Maybe the competition will do him good though

dal

He’s a nailed on starter for me when everyone’s fit.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rashford by his own words felt his form and play last season let the club down. Yet still there’s the trying to pretend that Rashford was even vaguely comparable to Ferdandes last season proving shows what utter nonsense stats for the sake of stats are.
One more moronic post, that lacks any substance. You should read the posts/conversation but that's something too much to ask from a troll.

If any one of Rashford, Sancho, Pogba, Greenwood or Martial produces output like Bruno does for us, they will be an automatic starter. Otherwise they will have to contend with being rotated, and play specially when their form and tactical considerations demand it.
Rashford's output was better than Bruno's if you exclude penalties last season.

Bruno is a beast at penalties though, so can't take away that from him.
But then, it's already proven that you make some dumb posts, so it's not surprising.

stw2022

I hope Ole plays by form, not by name. And then, he really needs to hit top form if he wants to have his place back. Maybe the competition will do him good though
Very probable. Setting aside the stats that no doubt prove when idiots like me on here thought his form fell off a cliff he was actually having the best period of any modern footballer ever (his goal creations X distance covered were better than Messi….or something) no matter who you are competition is good.

Think we saw that with Telles and Shaw. We need Rashford back to the player he was to keep pressure on the others too

When he comes back he’ll be roughly 10 or 11 months away from the last time he played well for us

Ixion

Yes. Cavani and Greenwood will not play every week so Rashford will get plenty of games and it remains to be seen how well Sancho will do.

CG1010

One more moronic post, that lacks any substance. You should read the posts/conversation but that's something too much to ask from a troll.

But then, it's already proven that you make some dumb posts, so it's not surprising.
It is really crazy :lol:

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Depends, If Pogba is playing on the left, then no Rashford is on the bench. If We move Pogba deeper he may start on the left.

roonster09

Scout
It is really crazy :lol:
It's funny, there will be discussion about output, when relevant stats are posted, someone out of nowhere (usually the same poster) starts moaning about that without following the conversation.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Very probable. Setting aside the stats that no doubt prove when idiots like me on here thought his form fell off a cliff he was actually having the best period of any modern footballer ever (his goal creations X distance covered were better than Messi….or something) no matter who you are competition is good.

Think we saw that with Telles and Shaw. We need Rashford back to the player he was to keep pressure on the others too

When he comes back he’ll be roughly 10 or 11 months away from the last time he played well for us
Competition and a winning spirit can change so much, hopefully also for Rashford. He needs to start producing on a consistent level, he's not 19 anymore.

stw2022

If everyone was fit who would he dislodge in the starting XI?

I think that’s all OP is asking. There’s a weird desperation from one or two to try and convince others that’s some kind of extreme position

It’s a pattern on this subject; pretend you’re arguing against some extreme, spiteful position so a few pages in everyone is convinced they’re replying to a thread where the OP was some awful, hateful attack.

Fair play to them, the tactic always works.

While Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba, Bruno and Cavani are fit and at their best, where does that leave Rashford when he's back?

If we replace Cavani with Haaland next summer, the situation looks even worse. I'm assuming Pogba stays.

Is there a place for Rashford as a mainstay in our strongest XI?
Frankly outraged such provocative nonsense is even allowed :lol::lol:

Last edited:

Bestietom

He frightens defences when he is on form. I'm asuming his loss of form in 2nd half of last season was due to his injuries.
He will fight for his place when fit again and it won't be long until he wins it back, even if it means moving Pogba.

9 Stone Elvis

I think its going to be a case of seeing where we are when he comes back. I dont think Dan James gets anywhere near our strongest XI and there is question marks over the ability of Pogba and Martial to turn in top performances every week. Sancho has to settle in and Cavani will need to be managed just because he is 34 so I dont think anything is set in stone. Hopefully what we do have now is a scenario whereby Martial is fit, Greenwood is a year older and Rashford is fully recovered so that when a player isnt playing well instead of flogging them to death we can leave them out and play someone who is. Horses for courses and all that.

KennyBurner

Rashford injury was setup by the club so that we can play Pogba without any competition. The goal by the club is to make pogba happy so he can sign a new contract. I havent taken my meds today.

roonster09

Scout
He’s a nailed on starter for me when everyone’s fit.
Finally we will be in a position where we can rotate players. competition for places should help every player. They will get good enough rest and also they will have to improve their performance to keep their position. Apart from Bruno, I don't think anyone will be nailed on starter.

Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood and now Pogba will compete for 2 positions, all players can play multiple positions so they all get good enough number of games.

There are some weirdos who think Rashford isn't good enough for any top 7 club in top leagues (Or he is just decent player who haven't improved since his debut) but the people who really matter (manager, coaches) rate him highly and he will get good number of games.

RedKnight88

It all depends doesn't it? If Ole wants to stick with McTominay and Fred and insist with Pogba on LW... where will Rashford play? I mean, the RW position is for Sancho isn't it?

Not sure how much balance this team has, but for certain opposition will be tried no doubt:

_____Rashford_________Cavani_________Sancho
_____Pogba__________Scott McTominay___B.Fernandes
Luke Shaw________Maguire_______Varane_______AWB

RedIan

A fully fit and firing rashford will get into any team… wait till martial and Cavani are injured and they will be, that leaves mason. The squad needs 4 strikers to win trophies as in the cole/ yorke sheringham/ole days - treble season all 4 played their part.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
if he's fit and gets back to his best, he will definitely provide good competition but if a forward 3 of Sancho, Cavani and Greenwood are all in the form of their life by the time he reaches full fitness, it will be much more difficult for him to get straight back into the team.

Born2Lose

It's exactly what he needs, a bit of competition and to not be so certain of his place if he underperforms

What worries me is he's clearly a bit of a teacher's pet with Ole, I hope he has to earn his way back into the team and Greenwood doesn't just get dropped because of his youth.

Lets be honest, no one has a god given right to start week in week out for this club.

gregor

Cavani
Pogba - Bruno - Sancho

Martial
Rashford - DVB - Greenwood

Our attacking options are just :drool:

Better than City's?

Rashford has been one of our top 3 performers nearly in every season - with numbers that are amazing in the PL and would be increase near double if he played for Dortmund aswell.

Sancho being better than him in the PL is a bit of a guesswork
Is there something tangible to back up this belief that the PL is so far ahead of the Bundesliga that Rashford's numbers would double if he swapped leagues? Or that Sancho's numbers being literally among the best in the world means nothing until he does it in the PL?

I don't think there is.

Mickson

He doesn't have a guaranteed spot that's for sure (with Pogba being now full-time LW/AM and Sancho joining).

I don't think his future lies on the wings anyway.
Where do you think he will end up in the future? Striker?

Bebestation

Is there something tangible to back up this belief that the PL is so far ahead of the Bundesliga that Rashford's numbers would double if he swapped leagues? Or that Sancho's numbers being literally among the best in the world means nothing until he does it in the PL?

I don't think there is.
Yes, after all the Dortmund players that succeeded in the Bundesliga but struggled in the Premier League. Its a bit like how alot of Italian players can't be guaranteed as successful in PL until they actually do it. Sancho has only a handful of successful appearances in the CL aswell like his performance vs Barcelona About the same as Rashford like his performance vs PSG.

So there is no proof that Sancho is better or worse than Rashford until we get to see how Sancho does it in the same league with the same difficulties- even if Bundesliga is better than the PL in your eyes.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Where do you think he will end up in the future? Striker?
Yes. Link up play isn't his strength I think, he drops wide but too often just passes it back to defense, doesn't really help us to beat pressing. I definitely prefer Pogba on the left against packed defenses. Rashford is useful when he has space to run but I feel he'd be more effective up top as I don't rate him very high on the wings.

Mickson

Yes. Link up play isn't his strength I think, he drops wide but too often just passes it back to defense, doesn't really help us to beat pressing. I definitely prefer Pogba on the left against packed defenses. Rashford is useful when he has space to run but I feel he'd be more effective up top as I don't rate him very high on the wings.
I understand your point, but I don't rate him at all as a striker (right now). But I agree there are games when he isn't particularly good as a winger either. I think he would've been against Leeds though!

romufc

I am expecting a fully fit Rashford to come back like a new signing.

He will watch this team and really be up for it, competition for places. It also helps when the other attacker is your mate, so when they train, they will have friendly competition which will no doubt make them better.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I understand your point, but I don't rate him at all as a striker (right now). But I agree there are games when he isn't particularly good as a winger either. I think he would've been against Leeds though!
That's what I fear, he will be a part-time winger part-time striker because he's not particularly great in either position (consistently).
Let's see how he looks when he comes back, I feel like maybe he needs to relax a bit and not force things to happen and he'll do better.

Bebestation

The 4 Pogba assists would have been a Rashford dribble or shot attempt.
Pogba didn't play LM, LW or LAM after the first assist. he played more and more centrally.

Get a CDM that can occupy him in such a spot then we can have Sancho or Rashford out on the left depending on form, best of both worlds.

UDontMessWith24

Pogba didn't play LM, LW or LAM after the first assist. he played more and more centrally.

Get a CDM that can occupy him in such a spot then we can have Sancho or Rashford out on the left depending on form, best of both worlds.
Great why didn't I think of that! When said CDM is holding up a shirt in a press conference we can have that conversation. As of today however, we need McFred to allow Pogba and Bruno freedom to play without a rigid position, and allowing them to do that gives us our best chance of winning football matches.

Glorio

I don't think the OP is crazy at all. Not too long ago, we'd fit Rashford in the team regardless of form. Now there are genuine quality contenders everywhere across the forward positions.

I see people say Pogba shouldn't be a LW, but I honestly only remember one poor performance from him in that position, he's generally been very good, and when he's good, he's really good. In addition, we now have Sancho who has scored and assisted in high numbers from that position albeit in a different league, so it's not far-fetched to wonder if Rashford be a regular (in the same way as he was before) especially considering he'll be trying to force his way in.

Personally:
  • Against teams that will defend in a low block in numbers against us, I'd rather we went with Pogba who'll be helpful in unlocking those defences
  • Against teams that will have a go and attempt to play a high line and press us high up the pitch, I'd rather we went with Rashford who will exploit the space and cause all sorts of problems.

We have options now, and this is a good thing. No one should be guaranteed a place in the starting 11

Bebestation

Great why didn't I think of that! When said CDM is holding up a shirt in a press conference we can have that conversation. As of today however, we need McFred to allow Pogba and Bruno freedom to play without a rigid position, and allowing them to do that gives us our best chance of winning football matches.
Great, you think we can give Pogba the free role to roam he was officially given by Ole in every match - whilst I don't think so.

We can wait until Sancho does better than Rashford. We can wait until Daniel James is dropped. We could even wait until next season to see if Pogba stays or not before wondering if Rashford is good enough :lol:

Andersons Dietician

It will be interesting to see what happens this season as if all goes to plan next year it’ll only get worse as I would imagine the plan would be a front 3 of Sancho Haaland Greenwood.

Shimo

Yes, Rashford will almost definitely have a place as a regular. Saw a comment about Greenwood's performance as unplayable, well Rashford has had bags of those. With the number of games, he'll have his fair share of starts but, also be able to come on as an impact player

I am not sure what people have been watching the last few years but, us running players like Rashford into the ground is exactly why we end up in the semi finals and final with players knackered or zero options to change games up.

Ole will now not have to force Rashford or any player to go out when they are struggling for fitness or form. Players will also have to step up each week knowing their spot is no longer guaranteed.

KennyBurner

I can agree with this. Id play Rashford against the top 6 while Id play Pogba against the rest. Id especially play Pogba if I know Cavani is going to start.

So there is no proof that Sancho is better or worse than Rashford until we get to see how Sancho does it in the same league with the same difficulties- even if Bundesliga is better than the PL in your eyes
You can extend this sort of logic only semi-facetiously to say there's no proof Lewandowski is better or worse than Patrick Bamford until he does it in the same league with the same difficulties (Lewandowski's scored goals for fun in the CL too, you say? Sure, but Bamford's never even played a game in it, so we can't compare their records there!)

I don't have a particularly strong opinion over which of Sancho and Rashford is better, mind. I just don't agree with this idea that the PL is so far ahead of the Bundesliga - if it's even ahead at all - that you can make bold claims like saying Rashford would be twice as productive if he just swapped teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.