Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
You can extend this sort of logic only semi-facetiously to say there's no proof Lewandowski is better or worse than Patrick Bamford until he does it in the same league with the same difficulties (Lewandowski's scored goals for fun in the CL too, you say? Sure, but Bamford's never even played a game in it, so we can't compare their records there!)

I don't have a particularly strong opinion over which of Sancho and Rashford is better, mind. I just don't agree with this idea that the PL is so far ahead of the Bundesliga - if it's even ahead at all - that you can make bold claims like saying Rashford would be twice as productive if he just swapped teams.
Lewandowski has been immense in the champions league to a dimension that Sancho or Rashford hasn't been to. Bamford hasn't even been a success in the PL, so I don't know why you would think Lewandowski is the same as Bamford is the same.

Rashford and Sancho are much more in the same level for comparison.

Rashford and Sancho are in the same club and we shouldn't pick the player who starts on their Dortmund form in my opinion. We should pick them on their United form.

tjb

One more moronic post, that lacks any substance. You should read the posts/conversation but that's something too much to ask from a troll.

But then, it's already proven that you make some dumb posts, so it's not surprising.
Stop being obtuse. Even without stats, Bruno is our creative outlet, check key passes etc He is a generally better performer than Rashford, to call someone dumb because they used the word output shows that you are ignoring the obvious. Bruno is a better player than Rashford and performs consistently week to week. Just like if Mahrez performed to the levels of KDB, if Rashford met that level, he would be able guaranteed starter for us. Simple.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Stop being obtuse. Even without stats, Bruno is our creative outlet, check key passes etc He is a generally better performer than Rashford, to call someone dumb because they used the word output shows that you are ignoring the obvious. Bruno is a better player than Rashford and performs consistently week to week. Just like if Mahrez performed to the levels of KDB, if Rashford met that level, he would be able guaranteed starter for us. Simple.
Go and check what that poster meant, don't assume on behalf of other poster. It was about output and we discussed about output, which was about goals and assists.

Yeah well done for arguing against non existent points. No one said Rashford is better than Bruno, it was about output and strictly about output.

Before someone jump into this discussion again without knowing context, the post was about goals and assists, nothing to do with who is better player or our best player.

AgentSmith

Even if the answer was no, that would only be a positive thing as it would demonstrate the strength of our squad; an essential requirement to be able to compete with City’s oil reserves.

The answer is yes though. It’s a long season and Rashford’s chance to rest and recover now should stand him in good stead to come back like a man possessed when he’s fully fit. I also think Pogba will drift between CM and LAM, depending on the opposition, meaning Rashford will get an abundance of opportunities to play.

So yeah, he’ll be a regular when he’s fit. Rashford is absolutely quality when on form and we’ll hopefully see that more regularly without injuries hampering him.

Bebestation

Greenwood, Cavani, Martial, Sancho, Pogba are not as consistent as Bruno Fernandes - not sure why they are guaranteed starters and Rashford isn't.

GMoore23

It'll be great to have him back 100% for the the first time in quite a while though he'll have to work harder than ever to be a permanent fixture in the first 11 from now on.
At the minute I see our best front 3 as
Sancho - Cavani - Greenwood
Next season Haaland will hopefully replace Cavani.
So we have Rashford, Pogba, Martial and Sancho all capable of playing on the left. None are nowhere near as good as Cavani through the middle and I think Greenwood is on his way to being an absolute superstar.
The fight for the LW spot is so competitive, I think we'll be doing a lot of rotating in that position.

tjb

Greenwood, Cavani, Martial, Sancho, Pogba are not as consistent as Bruno Fernandes - not sure why they are guaranteed starters and Rashford isn't.
They aren't guaranteed starters. That's the point being made. In the same way Cole and Yorke weren't necessarily guaranteed. They will all have to prove that they should start consistently

Alemar

We only have 4 guaranteed starters in the team - 3 play in defence, and the 4th is Bruno. There is competition for all other spots

Bebestation

They aren't guaranteed starters. That's the point being made. In the same way Cole and Yorke weren't necessarily guaranteed. They will all have to prove that they should start consistently
Yeah.

This is a thread that tries to highlight a problem without it actually being one.

Great players in a squad is needed to win titles ever since the title challengers turned from 2 teams a season to 3-4.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is this even a discussion? Rashford will always have a place in the team, when he’s on form he’s dynamite… rashford, cavani/Greenwood and sancho should be the front 3. It’s good to have this situation where everyone’s playing well and it forces rashford to up his game even more… squad depth is key, everyone’s going to have to play there part if we want to win trophies this season. I’m excited for the season I can feel that we’re going places!! #GGMU

Eli Zee

One of the best problems a team can have.. class players that may be on the bench.

if we do what we should on the field, they will all have plenty of game time during different competitions. Hopefully, extra rest will prevent
injuries.

Rashford/Pogba/Sancho/Martial rotating at LW
Greenwood/James/Sancho rotating at RW
Cavani/Greenwood/Martial rotating at ST.
I love it.

Rashford hasn't been too impressive last season but I put it down to injuries. I think he'll secure his starting position in games against the top teams, and Pogba may slide in for him against teams that will be more defensive

Nikelesh Reddy

While Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba, Bruno and Cavani are fit and at their best, where does that leave Rashford when he's back?

If we replace Cavani with Haaland next summer, the situation looks even worse. I'm assuming Pogba stays.

Is there a place for Rashford as a mainstay in our strongest XI?
If he’s back to his best,then yes,he can probably still play week in,week out...But if he keeps playing like how he’s been for the last 9-10 months,then he’s got no chance of being a regular...

lex talionis

What a silly question. In top fitness and form our front three will have Rashford in it. The more serious question is whether Greenwood can displace Cavani as our first choice striker this season. We'll see about that.

And even more intriguing question that no one can possibly answer right now is whether Greenwood can develop this season to the point where we wouldn't even consider Haaland next summer.

tjb

Think about it this way. We've had periods where both Martial and Rashford have been off form for months or simply dealing with injuries. There is now way all 5 potential attackers ( Greenwood, rashford, Martial, Sancho, Cavani) are off form at the same time. In addition Pogba can always come in aswell. We wouldn't have to pray that James or Lingard have phenomenal games if/when injuries occur because we have genuine quality to replace them with. IMO that's what are both us in 1999, chelsea in 2005 and City since 2018 so succesful. Imagine getting even 10 league goals a season from 5 of them, that's 50 goals. Chances are at the minimum at least 1 of the strikers will get 20 (or Bruno).

lysglimt

Scout
What a wonderful problem - sitting here debating which of these players will take the 4 attacking positions:
Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Pogba, Bruno, Greenwood, Cavani and Sancho :)

I do feel for Elanga, Shoretire, Hannibal etc - they have their work cut out for them.

lex talionis

What a wonderful problem - sitting here debating which of these players will take the 4 attacking positions:
Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Pogba, Bruno, Greenwood, Cavani and Sancho :)

I do feel for Elanga, Shoretire, Hannibal etc - they have their work cut out for them.
I can see Lingard going during this transfer window and Martial going next summer. Cavani will only stay for this one season (so let's win it all for him!) and we shall see about Pogba next summer. Our young players need to have faith and stick with the program. If they're good enough, they'll get their chance.

David Bartley

If we're going to put Pogba further down we're going to have to have a proper DM next to him. Allegedly, he doesn't want to sit deep?
I'd be very happy the more times Pogba played like he did on Saturday. With freedom to roam and interchange with Bruno. They are our only really creative midfielders, after all.

Like a lot of people on the caff I'd like to see us get in a really commanding DM. Guess we won't see it this season. Could Donny play that role?

A truly fit Rashford has got to be a huge asset to us, surely?

lysglimt

Scout
I can see Lingard going during this transfer window and Martial going next summer. Cavani will only stay for this one season (so let's win it all for him!) and we shall see about Pogba next summer. Our young players need to have faith and stick with the program. If they're good enough, they'll get their chance.
Maybe - but what a wonderful problem to have - even if we drop every player that started against Leeds - we can field this side:

Henderson - Telles, Varane, Bailly, Dalot - Matic, v.d Beek - Rashford, Martial, Sancho - Cavani (and still have Williams, Heaton, Elanga, Garner, Mata, Lingard and Amad as subs)

Wonderful :)

MrBest

Fact, Rashford is a great talent and a important first team player for us. Fact, Rashford didn't have a great season last year, he was carrying injuries. Fact, Pogba does well on the left at times, he is probably less impactful playing deep. Fact, Pogba can be world class.

I think this thread is pointless, there will be games Pogba is better suited, there will be games Rashford is better suited. Why can we not have two great players, both of which are versatile, in this squad? 11 people do not win you titles, 25 people win this for you. Greenwood, Rashford, Martial, Cavani, Bruno, Pogba, DVB, James, Lingard are our attacking guys. I would rather have them all than sit and debate who should start. Each has a benefit for a specific game, why can we not appreciate that?

lex talionis

Maybe - but what a wonderful problem to have - even if we drop every player that started against Leeds - we can field this side:

Henderson - Telles, Varane, Bailly, Dalot - Matic, v.d Beek - Rashford, Martial, Sancho - Cavani (and still have Williams, Heaton, Elanga, Garner, Mata, Lingard and Amad as subs)

Wonderful :)
We really are well positioned to cause top clubs like City, Liverpool and even PSG to be worried about us. But the point you're making, that we can go deep into the bench when we need to see off midtable (Arsenal) and newly promoted clubs (Sheffield United last season) that caused us so many problems last season, is well taken.

If Pogba were settled in for the long haul at OT I'd stake my claim in stone that United are the leading contender for the PL trophy this season, but I worry that his status will disrupt any rhythm the squad could otherwise develop.

Kaizane

While Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba, Bruno and Cavani are fit and at their best, where does that leave Rashford when he's back?

If we replace Cavani with Haaland next summer, the situation looks even worse. I'm assuming Pogba stays.

Yes x

MadMike

It will very much depend on how Martial plays this season. Additionally there's a lot of players from our current front-line that could be moving on next summer anyways. Chances are that Pogba goes to PSG, Cavani returns to South America and Dan James might be deemed surplus to requirements from as early as mid-season when all our forward are fit.

Even if manage to land Haaland having three strikers, two of which can also play out wide, is good. I wouldn't want to go into a season with only two strikers. If we don't, then Martial is going nowhere.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
No player has divine right to start and Rashford is no different. He has competition for his place but it's a good thing. Remember last season when we had to play him even when he wasn't performing because we had no one to replace him.

lex talionis

It will very much depend on how Martial plays this season. Additionally there's a lot of players from our current front-line that could be moving on next summer anyways. Chances are that Pogba goes to PSG, Cavani returns to South America and Dan James might be deemed surplus to requirements from as early as mid-season when all our forward are fit.

Even if manage to land Haaland having three strikers, two of which can also play out wide, is good. I wouldn't want to go into a season with only two strikers. If we don't, then Martial is going nowhere.

I'm almost there with you, but even if Martial puts in a solid season for us in 21/22 it might be best for all parties concerned to sell Martial in the summer of 222 IF Greenwood exceeds Martial AND Haaland is somehow interested in joining United.

MadMike

I'm almost there with you, but even if Martial puts in a solid season for us in 21/22 it might be best for all parties concerned to sell Martial in the summer of 222 IF Greenwood exceeds Martial AND Haaland is somehow interested in joining United.
Why though? Who will he be replaced in the squad by? If Haaland replaces Cavani who does Martial's spot go to? Elanga, Diallo? They're not as ready yet.

I'd still keep him since he can cover two positions, upfront and left.

lex talionis

Why though? Who will he be replaced in the squad by? If Haaland replaces Cavani who does Martial's spot go to? Elanga, Diallo? They're not as ready yet.

I'd still keep him since he can cover two positions, upfront and left.
Martial won’t be happy being a squad man for us, third choice at CF and second choice at LW. He also costs, allegedly, 250k/week. That’s not sustainable for very long.

MadMike

Martial won’t be happy being a squad man for us, third choice at CF and second choice at LW. He also costs, allegedly, 250k/week. That’s not sustainable for very long.
That's an assumption, that's basically been is role the last 6 years already. During all his time here only in 19/20 he was a solid starting XI player.

At City they have the kind of depth where players like B.Silva, Foden, G.Jesus, Sterling and F.Torres are basically squad players. At PSG Di Maria, Draxler, Sarabia, Icardi are all now just squad player.

Yet the moment we suggest someone like Martial be squad player people think it's not sustainable. As if only players like Dan James are happy to be squad players in big clubs :houllier:

lex talionis

That's an assumption, that's basically been is role the last 6 years already. During all his time here only in 19/20 he was a solid starting XI player.

At City they have the kind of depth where players like B.Silva, Foden, G.Jesus, Sterling and F.Torres are basically squad players. At PSG Di Maria, Draxler, Sarabia, Icardi are all now just squad player.

Yet the moment we suggest someone like Martial be squad player people think it's not sustainable. As if only players like Dan James are happy to be squad players in big clubs :houllier:
Two points: If Martial goes worldie on us, fantastic stuff all the way around. He just might, as we know he has the talent and athleticism to be in the same conversation as Mbappe. Yet it’s his mentality, or heart, that’s in question. We shall see whether Martial can find the mentality that we’ve all been begging to see from him. If he can, his doubters will be forced to sit down.

But if he cannot, the very quality that robs him of reaching his potential — if that turns out to be the case — is a quality that makes it problematic to have him be a squad player for us. James will put in maximum effort whenever he’s called on. His ability is woeful but his heart is huge. It’s the opposite with Martial. If Martial sits for three matches and then is called on in the 60th minute in the fourth it’s hard to imagine him being of the right mind to make an impact in those 30 minutes.

But there’s only one way to find out. Let’s see if he has finally found the mentality we’ve all been begging to see since his arrival six seasons ago.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
There's room for everyone. We don't have to run any individuals into the ground due to a lack of options anymore.

Fully Fledged

Why are there places for only 4 players in a 3 man attack. We could play 60ish games a season if we are successful in all comps. We are not going to compete in all those comps if we try to do so with only 4 players rotating for the top 3 places.

Besides when fit Rashford will play more often than not.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

He's a left sided forward. Who out of the rest of those is a specialist there?

Sancho has been signed for the right side.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He's a left sided forward. Who out of the rest of those is a specialist there?

Sancho has been signed for the right side.
All those right footed players probably prefer playing on the left including Sancho.

arthurka

Is this a real thread or a wind up? Of course Rashford is good enough to start he has been our best and consistent outlet now for years.

Lentwood

I have been a big critic of Rashford but this is a daft question. Of course there is a place for Rashford.

What we need to see is him challenged for his place, and how he rises to that challenge.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Martial, Cavani and Pogba injury record lately isn't great, Sancho and Greenwood will not play every game 90' so I wouldn't worry about game time for Rashford. Although I don't like him being thrown around in different positions, I don't think it benefits him, this might be the case this season as well.

Steve Bruce

Raahford is the only player to score 20 or more goals 2 seasons in a row post Sir Alex, last season he played with injuries all season and still managed it.

Rashford for me is our best left sided player for most games

Pronewbie

Peep
Marcus and Bruno are similar in the sense that they both need their play time managed better because they always want to play but severely underperform when playing through fatigue and injury, especially come the tail end of the season. We have more strength in depth now and I hope Ole has learnt how to do so.

Skeezix

I won't write off Rashford anytime soon. The boy has determination to succeed.

It was frustrating to watch him for almost half of the season. But seems like he carried knocks and injuries.

He'll come back stronger and hopefully with improved decision making. He still lacks in that department.

Status
Not open for further replies.