Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattofManchester

I think some have forgotten who we're talking about here. One of the most determined and obsessive players at the club. So much so that he played an entire season with multiple injuries, and still pushed on at the end for the Euros.
Nevermind that there was massive talk that he wouldn't be the same player after his injury. He's been very unlucky in the last two years. Before his back injury, he was billing up to be something big for us.
Even last season, he still managed 19 goals despite being injured.

He'll get his place back. I don't think it will really be up for debate.

NewYorkRed

Its may not be up to him tbh. If, and this is a huge if, Pogba can keep playing well off the left and Jadon lights it up on the right- I can’t see him just walking back into the lineup. Add Greenwood and Martial into that mix as well- this will be a tall order for Rashford.

NoPace

He's likely still our best #9 if he gets a proper bit of time there. In particular, Pogba being narrow and fairly deep on the left should suit him moving a bit wider there from a normal 9 position.

-----Rashford----------------------
-------------Bruno-------Sancho
---Pogba-----------------------------

as a front 4 basically, likely Shaw pushes up a bit for width on the left and Wan-Bissaka doesn't as aggressively.

And when we play 4-3-3 with Pogba and Bruno in front of a lone DM, we have Rashford left, Sancho right and Greenwood/Cavani up top.

NewYorkRed

He's likely still our best #9 if he gets a proper bit of time there. In particular, Pogba being narrow and fairly deep on the left should suit him moving a bit wider there from a normal 9 position.

-----Rashford----------------------
-------------Bruno-------Sancho
---Pogba-----------------------------

as a front 4 basically, likely Shaw pushes up a bit for width on the left and Wan-Bissaka doesn't as aggressively.

And when we play 4-3-3 with Pogba and Bruno in front of a lone DM, we have Rashford left, Sancho right and Greenwood/Cavani up top.
We’ve seen time and again that Marcus can’t play as a 9. It might work in the system you said possibly since bruno would push up further than him but Rashford’s finishing is just not upto the mark for a 9, nor is his movement.

eire-red

Against weaker opposition, I'd say Rashford slots in on the left, Pogba in a two in midfield, with Bruno, Sancho and Greenwood/Cavani filling the other attacking positions. With Varane, I think we can take that risk against the lesser teams.

Against stronger opposition, I expect to see one of Pogba or Rahsford slotting in on the left. For once, it's a good selection headache that a United manager had, as both Rashford and Pogba are gamechangers and will contribute heavily this season if they stay fit.

Rashford will be especially dangerous in the CL against better opposition and more space to run into.

NoPace

We’ve seen time and again that Marcus can’t play as a 9. It might work in the system you said possibly since bruno would push up further than him but Rashford’s finishing is just not upto the mark for a 9, nor is his movement.
I don't think we've seen it time and again. He looked very promising as an Aubameyang/Vardy type using his pace to get in behind early in Ole's tenure and as you say, Bruno is playing as a 2nd striker. Also, some of Rashford's best games in Europe have been very, very high up the pitch, just wide. Lots of teams have done well with a 9 who likes to move wide like Benzema does, opening up space in the middle.

If he got a run of games up top, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he does well in a fairly free-flowing system, though I do think Greenwood is the more natural #9 long term. If what we need from our 9 is to stretch play, that can be accomplished by an aerial threat like Cavani or a speedy type on the shoulder like Rashford.

It mostly depends on Pogba I think. If he can be our David Silva type (obviously different stylistically) who runs games as a wider AM then that's going to mean it's Sancho on the other side and only one of Greenwood/Cavani/Rashford/Martial up top. His ceiling this season is still higher than those players.

And of course, there's all the games we should play 4-3-3 in with Pogba as our #8 and Rashford and Sancho either side of Cavani or Greenwood as we look to just run over teams like actual title contenders do.

Swiss_Red89

I think we missed him today. As frustrating as he is, I think he brings a unique skillset to the squad. I don't want to claim that we would have won the game with him today, but around the 60minutes mark I thought how nice it would be to have him on the field now. If we needed reminder that there is a place for Rashford in this team, today was one.

Btw, nice to hear that he recovers well from surgery and is in contention for the Everton game. (beginning of october)

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Out of form Rashford is still a lot better than Martial. Also the Pogba experiment doesnt always work. Should have taken Matic/Fred off, put Pogba in midfield and Rashford could have played LW.

norm87cro

From what I have seen from Martial yesterday there probably is baring in mind Greenwood won't be starting every single game and that we play a 4 3 3 with Cavani Sancho and a third man upfront

Eddy_JukeZ

He'll slot straight back in the 11. People forgot how good he was before injuries piled up.

peridigm

Out of form Rashford is still a lot better than Martial. Also the Pogba experiment doesnt always work. Should have taken Matic/Fred off, put Pogba in midfield and Rashford could have played LW.
It will be interesting to see how quickly Ole inserts Rashford back into the LW spot once he's fit again. Pogba does more for us there than he does in a MF two with Fred or McTominay. Once Rashford is fit, our strongest front 3 will consist of Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood. Martial is just a square peg. Leaving Sancho out as he's not featured more than 45' so far but when fit, he will most likely displace Greenwood on the RW and Greenwood will rotate with Cavani. This pushes Pogba back into MF which means one of Fred or McTominay move to the bench. Fred is not consistent enough to be a United player. I think he was bought as a squad player to cover for Matic and perhaps replace Pogba as this is about the time when Pogba's agent started making a fuss for him to move. He's just not good enough. Matic is past it. Those two should never share playing time at United again.

RedDevilzFox

Rashford will easily walk into this team when he is fit, make no mistake about that. Martial, Lingard or even Sancho aren't going to sit him out.

GueRed

He is a matchwinner, a determined player and a fecking machine on the counter-attack for us, I cannot wait for a healthy Marcus back in the team.

Dependng on the oppostion this season I'd like to see that left-wing berth rotated between him and Pogba. Now that's proper quality and depth.

Bwuk

He is a matchwinner, a determined player and a fecking machine on the counter-attack for us, I cannot wait for a healthy Marcus back in the team.

Dependng on the oppostion this season I'd like to see that left-wing berth rotated between him and Pogba. Now that's proper quality and depth.
Id rather not rotate them but get them in the same side.

GueRed

Id rather not rotate them but get them in the same side.
Based on their performances there (wide left) is their best position,

no more square pegs in round holes thank you.

Pogba starts wide left or not at all for me...

Same with Rashford. Wide-left or back-up forward

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Rashford is underrated here because he is homegrown.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
There are about three places for him judging on today’s performances. He needn’t worry…

Luke1995

Man I wish Rashford Greenwood and Ronaldo could play together. It would be like having Rooney Tevez and Ronaldo all over again

marktan

When he's fully fit I think he's better than Sancho. Just has more in his locker. So yeah he'll be lining up on the LW for us.

Jacob

Judging by our performance today, he'll stroll right back into the starting 11
Yeah, Sancho needs to step up eventually. Greenwood and Ronaldo are undropable. Third place is between Rash, Pogba, Cavani and Sancho.

Bobski

Rashford if he can get over the niggling injuries he has been carrying is an obvious starter for me, just gives us so much thrust and penetration, and is just a better player than Sancho at this stage. I do think Sancho will be very good for us in time, hopefully on the right.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He was the worst player on the pitch today. Only scores or assists. Makes our other attacking players play badly as well. Can‘t wait until he has surgery and in his absence we start playing fluid attacking football.

cyberman

We see what we miss. Shaw plays off him really well I getting to the byline which isnt there now and we miss his incisiveness and goal threat from the left. I said last season that he was our sole reason for our reputation of killing teams who give us space and it’s clear as day now.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Not been his biggest fan but yeah if he’s fit and ready to work he’ll get in over Sancho on current form. I thought Sancho would rock up and stamp his class on the competition asap but he’s going to have to acclimatise. No problem with it. Loads of games for everyone. The win is the most important thing always.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Clearly we need Rashford

Womp

idiot
He gets so disrespected here. He's one of our best and most important players. The numbers he gets in this disjointed side is ridiculous

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He has scored scored over 20 goals in both his last two seasons from the wing. He has a place, stupid question.

stw2022

I don’t understand why suggesting he might not walk into the first team is incredibly disrespectful but naming players he’ll definitely replace in the starting XI isn’t disrespectful to them.

Another bizarre double standard of most Rashford discussions

BeltUp

Supports
United
When he's in top form, he's a guaranteed starter but I hope this competition for places will give him a boot up the backside because I think he's stagnated a little - I'm hoping it was just down to his injury problem though.

Reactions: Cheimoon

SouthernRedDev

I would imagine that he would command the left side of a front 3, too me its his most effective position.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
When was the last time he looked good ? Two seasons ago ?

Currently he can't hold the ball, dribble, pass or run past defenders.

On numerous occasions dalot and bruno have had the ball near the arsenal box and he's isn't arsed enough to make a run.

acnumber9

If there is it’s not on the right wing. I don’t know why we paid £73m for a right winger to play him on the left.

DomM

Rashford has been awful thus far, no effort at all, needs to be subbed for, hmm, someone else..

Status
Not open for further replies.