Is there any way back?

So only 10 points off? That's not so bad considering our situation. If we were still sitting 8th or 10th, then i would agree with the significantly part, otherwise, it's just an expected part of the rebuild when we'ver lost our main striker and two first team midfielders.
That was including 4-5 months where the manager was actively trying to get himself sacked :lol:

For me the team is on the up. The squad Mourinho left us was shambolic. I couldn’t see a way back after that. Ole has come in and shipped a load of deadwood out and started making some good signings. The players that had potential such as Fred and Rashford are now showing it. Players such as Martial, Shaw and Matic look ten times fitter.

I’m optimistic. Really optimistic, today only strengthened that optimism.
You're optimistic because you like Ole, you were pessimistic with Mourinho because you hated him.

Try to be a bit more critical, we're wank, and in a plenty worse state than 1 year ago however much you want to paint it rosey.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Whatever you think about Jose, you can't call him out here when Ole's had 13 months and made us a significantly worse side. If anyone has left us in a mess, it's the management of the squad since Jose left. Jose finished 2nd in his final full season and "his squad" had 44 points at this stage last season. The squad looks like it'll take them 30 games to get that total.

That said, Jose got himself sacked, no question about that and the club had no choice, but what Ole and the club have done to the squad since then seems to be an attempt at becoming the popular with a portion of the fanbase rather than building up slowly.
Maybe cause he doesn't have squad depth?
Look at the players he has at his disposal compared to Jose. Pogba has barely played, Rashford's been overplayed. We have the likes of Pereira, Lingard, Greenwood, Williams, McTominay and James starting week and week out - > some of these aren't even backup players. We desperately need at least 4 first team players. Just imagine Jose with this team. He'd commit suicide on live tv

Josep Dowling

I feel our club is just rancid from top to bottom. Bloated squad devoid of any real quality. A manager who is championship level. Inept board and backroom staff. Not sure how we turn it around.
Agree with all your points although I would say the squad is threadbare rather than bloated. The only real option to change a game from the bench was a 19 year old kid and the board don’t feel to act on this fact!

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
We lost to a full strength Liverpool side at Anfield 2-0 with a team with its whole spine missing.

Yes there's a way back, Jesus Christ man.

Reactions: Jippy

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
See Liverpool. Unfortunately, it may also take us 30 years.
Well it wont you see.

Its taken Liverpool about 4 or 5 years to build this side with this momentum. All of the other 25 years was poor management and poor direction. Its not been building to this for 30 years.

what you have seen with them is that once the right people occupy the key positions then its going to happen. A lot of trial and error.

Its going to take the same for United. We need the right people in the right positions. Its clear weve alot of non productive people in the key positions.

It might take 50 years or it might click for Ole next year.
If not we start again but we have to stay someway relevant.

bucky

A hell of a lot better and I really don’t see how that can be debated to be honest.
Like Klopp in his first year, Guardiola when he had a much better team and came 3rd, Pochettino when he finally got some signings and was sacked? Right. I mean, they are obviously better managers, but they would struggle with this squad just like Ole is.

A lot better. Today it showed that our players individually are not that different to the Liverpool players. Collectively they were. So if we had a top class coach we could have beaten Liverpool today.
If you don't see the difference in terms of individual quality, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Liverpool has several players in their prime and they are a team at the height of their cycle. We simply aren't.

Guardiola, Klopp or Pochettino would never have sanctioned those outgoings this Summer as that squad had at least shown that it was capable of amassing 80 points.
This squad will be lucky to get 55.
Selling Fellaini, Young, Lukaku, Darmian and Blind were the right decisions IMO. Letting Sanchez and Herrera go as well. I'm fairly certain Ole thought, we would bring in replacements.

Foxbatt

Maybe cause he doesn't have squad depth?
Look at the players he has at his disposal compared to Jose. Pogba has barely played, Rashford's been overplayed. We have the likes of Pereira, Lingard, Greenwood, Williams, McTominay and James starting week and week out - > some of these aren't even backup players. We desperately need at least 4 first team players. Just imagine Jose with this team. He'd commit suicide on live tv
Who sold those players Jose had? We could have played Fellaini and Hererra too. And Lukaku too if a striker is injured. It is Ole who culled the squad. Not Jose.

C'est Moi Cantona

There'll be a way back eventually, new manager, new players, and most likely new owners, until then we just have to push as hard as possible to make these things happen.

Kostov

The only way out of this mess is if we get new owners, new proper management team who know how to run a football club. With clowns like the Glazers and their leeches like Woodward we are going nowhere.

Foxbatt

The only way out of this mess is if we get new owners, new proper management team who know how to run a football club. With clowns like the Glazers and their leeches like Woodward we are going nowhere.
That I agree with you. We have imbeciles running Manchester United.

Eplel

Yes, but we have to start with a manager that can be a game changer. Nagelsmann and Ten Hag are the only ones that come to mind to be easy options, but even then Woodward would have to present them with a concrete plan. So that means that I'm lying about having to start with the manager, we have to start with a DOF.

Get a DoF -> Get a manager that is a proven good tactician and has the potential to be the best -> Recruit wisely -> Get rid of players that are holding the team back.

passing-wind

No if I'm honest, I won't like most fans blame the Glazers for everything on-field, the problem with Woodward and the Glazers is not spending as I keep hearing, it's actually the allocation of freely giving funds to managers with no detailed strategy regarding the "purpose" of investment. The real conundrum here is that we seemingly now have a good reasonable transfer policy but an absolutely useless manager to transition the investment to a success (ROI).

LVG has played the most progressive form of team accumulated football out of all managers of the last decade in my opinion but he couldn't nail the recruitment process correctly, so what is the solution ? It's simple a DOF.

Solskjaer became an enemy of progress the moment he decided to be short minded and agree for a role in principle without necessitating the need for a DOF. We now have the exact same problems under Mourinho, LVG and Moyes and it's the classic; if X manager gets the boot, the then current transfer strategy goes along with them, and now we as a club enter into what I call the revolving door rebuild. That's why we have made no progression in the last 10 years, that pattern isn't going to all of a sudden change with the most inexperienced manager of recent years paving the way for us to build some form of credible success.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No if I'm honest, I won't like most fans blame the Glazers for everything on-field, the problem with Woodward and the Glazers is not spending as I keep hearing, it's actually the allocation of freely giving funds to managers with no detailed strategy regarding the "purpose" of investment. The real conundrum here is that we seemingly now have a good reasonable transfer policy but an absolutely useless manager to transition the investment to a success (ROI).

LVG has played the most progressive form of team accumulated football out of all managers of the last decade in my opinion but he couldn't nail the recruitment process correctly so what is the solution ? It's simple a DOF.

Solskjaer became an enemy of progress the moment he decided to be a short minded and agree for a role in principle without necessitating the need for a DOF. We now have the exact same problems under Mourinho, LVG and Moyes and it's the classic; if X manager gets the boot, the then current transfer strategy goes along with them, and now we as a club enter into what I call the revolving door rebuild. That's why we have made no progression in the last 10 years, that pattern isn't going to all of a sudden change with the most inexperienced manager of recent years paving the way for us to build some form of credible success.
That's why we are blaming Glazers and Woodward. They are responsible for not just spending the money, but implementing the structure - and they aren't doing it. So they need to feck off or get it right.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Kneejerk reaction. We’re doing alright, and will get better.
I think there's a bug on the Caf because your post that is clearly from 6 years ago is saying it's from today for some reason.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Watford only lost 2-0 at Anfield too in December, we'll all be back the top soon :drool::drool:
An absolutely nothing, mute statement in this debate, I do in fact fail to see your point. Care to elaborate? Is your point that Watford are capable of keeping on the inevitable upward trajectory of Manchester United because they matched their result?

El Zoido

I think there's a bug on the Caf because your post that is clearly from 6 years ago is saying it's from today for some reason.
If you can’t see if then you can’t see it. Sucks for you I suppose. We’re miles different than we were before, we should all be rooting for these guys. Fandom these days means cheering for flavor of the month manager and to hell with everything else. No patience at all.

GifLord

Who sold those players Jose had? We could have played Fellaini and Hererra too. And Lukaku too if a striker is injured. It is Ole who culled the squad. Not Jose.
Lukaku was not good enough and wanted to go, for the Herrera contract fiasco you can blame Jose - he had more than enough time to offer him a new contract. When Ole came in December 2018 it was already too late since he already had 6months left and other clubs could talk to him. Fellaini was not good enough

GifLord

@GifLord are you Ole in or Ole out? I see improvement but I also see plenty of evidence to the contrary. Re: Squad depth for instance it's partly down to Ole too no? He let Fellaini and Lukaku go but he should have put more pressure on Woodward especially in public. I'm not saying full Jose but something other than 'I'm happy with my squad'.

I feel for Ole. He is so out of his depth. He is playing the best English team in a decade. Maybe the best PL team of all time. He has a boss who can't get one deal over the line without overpaying by millions. The owners are parasites who only care about dividends.

He has no great philosophy or style to counter two of the best coaches around. Three if you add Brendan. Some of his players are gutless chancers who he didn't buy. He's saddled with Pogba - an staggeringly good player who doesn't want to be there.

Ole knows how bad this looks for him. His reputation might never recover and he's still a young man with years left to be a manager. He just can't win. If he wins games he prolongs his inevitable fall. If he loses he comes off as a clown.

What can he do in public? Admit he is nowhere near the standard? Admit that he was a fool to play Rashford? Admit that the club seems to be incapable of signing one semi decent forward or midfielder? Jose wouldn't stand for the board's incompetence and would have kicked up a fuss but then the caf didn't want Jose because he was such a massive whinger.

Im still willing to give him 1 year so he can build a team but for that he needs players

Andy_Cole

Yes of course. Even with these owners. As much as we hate the owners, they have backed the managers. We just need to get lucky with the manager.

The_Midfielder

Recruitment.. Buy better players.. build a good team for top 4.. then buy for the top 2 ..
city had mancini, Pellegrini as coaches , who arent Pep/Klopp but still won . with excellent recruitment

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Said liverpool fans just before Klopp was installed as manager.

We havent got a klopp though the owners seem happy enough to want to stick with the failure manager because he's a yes man.

As long as Ole is here we arent winning anything.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If you can’t see if then you can’t see it. Sucks for you I suppose. We’re miles different than we were before, we should all be rooting for these guys. Fandom these days means cheering for flavor of the month manager and to hell with everything else. No patience at all.
Plenty of patience mate, just don't understand how you can look at this team who now have zero strikers and have the same man pulling the strings as our makeshift DoF as something that doesn't need to be addressed.

AneRu

Yes of course. Even with these owners. As much as we hate the owners, they have backed the managers. We just need to get lucky with the manager.
With the same owners maybe but with Woodward still in charge we are always going struggle in the market and managers will carry the can for Woodward's failings. If he isn't appointing clueless and over the hill managers he is taking two months to sign one player.

Another question is how long are we going to keep on affording spending the kind of money needed to dig the club of this hole? Do our owners have the appetite to spend, our revenues will surely continue to fall if we don't get it right on the pitch fast so after losing our financial edge what will we have going for us?

Ole despite trying is clearly not the man but how long till we act on that fact and won't the same system that's brought us these disastrous managers bring in another ill thought out managerial appointment? We have the money and maybe the will to dig ourselves out of this hole but do we have the expertise at executive level to be as effective as we need to be throughout the club?

mu4c_20le

We havent got a klopp though the owners seem happy enough to want to stick with the failure manager because he's a yes man.

No one wants to come take over in the middle of the season, not Poch, not Allegri.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.

My point is more that it can change within a couple of seasons. You can never say, that's it we're going to be shit for years.

Nobody knows the future. Ole could stay, get 3-4 players in the summer and we finish 2nd/ 3rd with an FA cup win.

Or, they sack him, bring in Poch and he changes the tactics, buys a couple of players and we finish top 4 with a cup.

It's not completely unfeasible.

Dan_F

No one wants to come take over in the middle of the season, not Poch, not Allegri.
I’d argue it’s a bit of a free pass, gives time to implement your tactics etc. Especially once you get to Feb time, probably only one game a week at most clubs. I’d agree that taking over early, like Jose did at Spurs is tough.

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
Is there a way back for MUFC? Of course there is, you just have to accept it won’t happen over night. Liverpool got very lucky but played their cards brilliantly. They sold their best player ( no Liverpool fans complained), bought the correct players whilst also riding the club of deadwood.
The clear out was long overdue and removed average players, permanently injured players and the big ego players.
Hiring Klopp was a masterpiece and a major piece of the jigsaw.
OGS has the ability but will the club support him?

Popcorn

We have got some promising talents and a young team. We also have more competition than during the Fergie era in terms of EPL teams. We need experienced and world class players to bring this squad up to the next level and compete with the other top 6 teams.

To stay a top team you need at least 3 new signings or academy players every year just to keep up with the rest of your squad getting a year older. If we want to rebuild and get back to being a winning team, forget the past poor signings we have made and try again. No point crying over spilt milk as it were.

We should have been all in for Haaland and be buying a world class right wing and midfielder. We should also work out why half our players are permacrocks.

Classnordic

Because as I mentioned none are the finished product.
The younger players have much more to achieve and none are anything like as fit as those at Anfield.

The ones at Anfield also have alot better synergy, mostly because of gametime together, yes i agree every player has the ability to improve.

Paul_Scholes18

We need to produce the next Messi, Xavi and Iniesta in our academy. It is doing well so far so that is our hope. Glaziers in the market will never get what we need and we seem to avoid getting the manger we need and stick with Ole so far.

Josep Dowling

Not us, we have had a season tickets for over a decade and will not be renewing at the end of this year.

Everything about this club, from top to bottom is putrid at the moment, and a lot of the fans on this forum, and elsewhere are living in pure cuckoo land over the ability of some of our players.

We'll now let somebody else take our seats (which are fantastic seats by the way) and pay £3,000 (approx) a year to watch Lingard, Jones, and the rest of the dross. They'll be welcome to them.
Good on you mate, must be a difficult decision to make even with the dross you have to watch.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
The owners are the problem they still have that idiot Woodward making all the major football decisions, We need to sack Ole and get a good manager in someone like Julian Nagelsmann from Leipzig. I bet that would ruffle Klopps feathers a bit, then take Ed woodward off anything to do with transfers and football. Because he has shown in 7 years that he has 0 clue. Get a good DOF in that guy Luis Campos at Lille the same guy who has discovered so many talented footballers over the last while. That would all put us in a great position. for a revival.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Inappropriate Content
We are like a stage 4 cancer patient.