Is there any way back?

Classnordic

Yes he can.
Have you never heard of player coaching and player improvement.
None of our players are the finished product.
They all have at least 10% improvement capacity.
How did you come to the conclusion of atleast "10% improvement capacity" What is 10% improvement capacity?

Snafu17

See? The bullshit Ole spewed about City respecting us because they played their first team spreads very fast. He's like a fecking Goebbels.
Well I'm glad we've reached the third reich comparisons. It took Mourinho 3 years to get to there.

RORY65

Did I say one
No, you said that you were quite confident that we would catch and surpass them. You didn't give a timeframe but I presume you don't mean a decade because that would be a completely irrelevant comment to make, how can anyone be confident of anything that far ahead? The point still stands that in every position they're stronger than us and have a way better manager so for us to "catch and surpass" them we are going to have to nail about 10 signings, it will probably take 3 years for us to make that many signings and the realistic likelihood is that most of them won't be successful anyway (most transfers aren't and our record has been worse than most recently) and even if they are then we will still have a lesser manager.

I'm not being a 10 year old drama queen, I'm just being realistic that we are a million miles away and it's completely fantastical to think that with our current set up that that is going to change anytime soon. We've not even been in the discussion of a title race at the half way stage in any year since Ferguson left and we probably now have the weakest squad and the least experienced manager we've had since then.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Things have to get worse before they get better. Particularly where finances are concerned. Ed keeps giving it large about the club's financial strength regardless of on-the-pitch success. If that doesn't change, then we'll be stuck in some sort of irrelevant netherzone of fallen giants for some time. It's not quite as rotten as AC Milan - yet - but if there isn't wholesale change of strategy then it will come.

Perhaps City and Liverpool leapfrogging us in the precious money league will make Ed and the owners realise that success attracts revenue and not the other way around.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Was always going to be a tough season. One step back to take a step forward. If people were able to accept that it would stop all of this melodrama after every single match
There’s absolutely no excuse for many of the “performances” we’ve served up this season.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There’s absolutely no excuse for many of the “performances” we’ve served up this season.
There are actually quite a lot of excuses, but what's the point. You've made up your mind

RUCK4444

See? The bullshit Ole spewed about City respecting us because they played their first team spreads very fast. He's like a fecking Goebbels.
Goebbels, that’s a new one.

We lost one nil to an unbeaten side and had good spells whilst missing our two best players.

Your having a mare, but don’t worry so are a LOT here today.

patty123

I want to wake up from this nightmare,

I know im really past out after winning the treble, when I awake it will be 1999, Fergie is still manager and the good times are still rolling, but ill have one hell of a hangover!

Now, note to self.

WAKEUP!
Ah but what happens when you wake up and its 1989, will ya be singing "ta ra fergie" fcuk off back to Scotland you useless j--k" etc

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Getting a quality manager and CEO/DoF of football would be a start. There's no point being confused and bewildered as to the task at hand when you have given yourself a shot with the lack of quality in the people running the show.

TJSF

Supports
Benfica
Just hope Klopp get's tired of England.

fps

Still 5 points off top four. Two good January signings would do it, we can see even with these injuries that there's enough there to beat most teams.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How did you come to the conclusion of atleast "10% improvement capacity" What is 10% improvement capacity?
Because as I mentioned none are the finished product.
The younger players have much more to achieve and none are anything like as fit as those at Anfield.

Skills

Snitch
Things have to get worse before they get better. Particularly where finances are concerned. Ed keeps giving it large about the club's financial strength regardless of on-the-pitch success. If that doesn't change, then we'll be stuck in some sort of irrelevant netherzone of fallen giants for some time. It's not quite as rotten as AC Milan - yet - but if there isn't wholesale change of strategy then it will come.

Perhaps City and Liverpool leapfrogging us in the precious money league will make Ed and the owners realise that success attracts revenue and not the other way around.
Does he? Or are you still harping on about something he said 5 years ago?

It's pretty obvious how much money we have. We obviously don't have an unlimited amount of money but we have and have spent plenty.

FrenchRed

We desperately need quality and strength in depth - until we have both we'll struggle.

As a start we should be bringing in 2 or 3 really good players (am, dm, striker) now to push for top 4, then bring in the same in the summer.

If we miss out on top 4, it's a long long way back.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
we get taken over and we appoint a director of football who appoints a coach and we work to a vision.

thats how
I agree, but are we likely to be taken over anytime soon?
If not, then the next scenario has to be, "How do we improve, with Glazers and Woodward still in charge?"

Smores

Again harping about this? :lol:
Well it's a fact isn't it?

The all is well crowd change tune every couple of month on to the next argument. We had 'see Ole has shown its class' then 'its just fitness just you wait til next season', then Ole gets praised for getting rid of deadwood and making 3 top signings and yet the people making all these arguments then claim the squad is much worse and he stands no chance of recreating Jose's achievements here. I've yet to see these posters own up to their nonsense.

Some are just more interested in trying to be positive for positivity sake than having genuine debate. We'll improve when we get a DoF (it may take one or two to find the right appointment) and the right manager (may take another few as well). That might be hard for some to digest but pretending all is well isn't going to bring success just because they want to be positive and believe we're on the right course already.

Roboc7

Not for years, fact we have ended up with Ole as manager and still have no DOF shows how everything is a shambles.

We need to buy lots of players, the money isn’t there and a manger and everyone else are clueless but stupid enough to think they have a plan.

The club has already started cost cutting, that’s why players are leaving not because of Ole. We need to be spending smartly but instead we’re buying Maguire for a world record fee and also spending 50m on a RB.

Also still clinging to idea a manager who was on decline in Norway can replicate the greatest manager of all time. It’s tragic and hilarious at same time and have to accept we won’t win any league titles or play regularly in Champions League for a long time.

arnie_ni

Just get a football man in and buy a few players.

RW
No.9
CM
LB

They dont all need to be immediate starters. But we need a better squad than having jesse and Pereira starting so many games.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Well it's a fact isn't it?

The all is well crowd change tune every couple of month on to the next argument. We had 'see Ole has shown its class' then 'its just fitness just you wait til next season', then Ole gets praised for getting rid of deadwood and making 3 top signings and yet the people making all these arguments then claim the squad is much worse and he stands no chance of recreating Jose's achievements here. I've yet to see these posters own up to their nonsense.

Some are just more interested in trying to be positive for positivity sake than having genuine debate. We'll improve when we get a DoF (it may take one or two to find the right appointment) and the right manager (may take another few as well). That might be hard for some to digest but pretending all is well isn't going to bring success just because they want to be positive and believe we're on the right course already.
He spent close to 500mil€ and all he has to show for was that 2nd place in PL , lucky Europa League and League cup wins.
All his transfers have been absolute shiit. Fred's showing some promise at the moment but overall it's been really bad. Now remember he was talking to the media about how he wanted 5 players but got 4 players. He's a proper charlatan

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Does he? Or are you still harping on about something he said 5 years ago?

It's pretty obvious how much money we have. We obviously don't have an unlimited amount of money but we have and have spent plenty.
If by 5 years ago you mean 20 months ago, then yes

May 2018 to the shareholders:
"Playing performance doesn't really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business."
3 months ago to United We Stand:
There's negativity about us doing sponsorship deals but they allow us to do things in the transfer market which other clubs struggle to do.
We have spent plenty, that's not what I am disputing. Clubs around us have made significant strides in their revenues and overall values, yet our growth in that same period of time has been minimal, during a time when TV revenues have skyrocketed. I don't believe commercial success will continue if the club carries on failing on the pitch. The club seem content with the money league results over on the pitch success. Until money league performance takes a hit, I don't believe we'll see a change in strategy.

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
For me the team is on the up. The squad Mourinho left us was shambolic. I couldn’t see a way back after that. Ole has come in and shipped a load of deadwood out and started making some good signings. The players that had potential such as Fred and Rashford are now showing it. Players such as Martial, Shaw and Matic look ten times fitter.

I’m optimistic. Really optimistic, today only strengthened that optimism.

fergiesarmy1

For me the team is on the up. The squad Mourinho left us was shambolic. I couldn’t see a way back after that. Ole has come in and shipped a load of deadwood out and started making some good signings. The players that had potential such as Fred and Rashford are now showing it. Players such as Martial, Shaw and Matic look ten times fitter.

Bang on, not so much with today but we will be back albeit wank owners,

bucky

Yea, there really isn’t.
How do you think Guardiola, Klopp or Pochettino would have done with the squad we have, the injuries we've had and the players we haven't signed or haven't replaced? I'm not saying Ole is as good as them, but at this point, Ole isn't actually given a chance to do the best he can, with what he has at his disposal. Woodward is losing him the job.

Again harping about this? :lol:
Whatever you think about Jose, you can't call him out here when Ole's had 13 months and made us a significantly worse side. If anyone has left us in a mess, it's the management of the squad since Jose left. Jose finished 2nd in his final full season and "his squad" had 44 points at this stage last season. The squad looks like it'll take them 30 games to get that total.

That said, Jose got himself sacked, no question about that and the club had no choice, but what Ole and the club have done to the squad since then seems to be an attempt at becoming the popular with a portion of the fanbase rather than building up slowly.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
How do you think Guardiola, Klopp or Pochettino would have done with the squad we have, the injuries we've had and the players we haven't signed or haven't replaced? I'm not saying Ole is as good as them, but at this point, Ole isn't actually given a chance to do the best he can, with what he has at his disposal. Woodward is losing him the job.
A hell of a lot better and I really don’t see how that can be debated to be honest.

Foxbatt

A lot better. Today it showed that our players individually are not that different to the Liverpool players. Collectively they were. So if we had a top class coach we could have beaten Liverpool today.

bucky

I agree, just not about Shaw and Matic. I'd add Greenwood and Williams.

mu4c_20le

Whatever you think about Jose, you can't call him out here when Ole's had 13 months and made us a significantly worse side. If anyone has left us in a mess, it's the management of the squad since Jose left. Jose finished 2nd in his final full season and "his squad" had 44 points at this stage last season. The squad looks like it'll take them 30 games to get that total.
So only 10 points off? That's not so bad considering our situation. If we were still sitting 8th or 10th, then i would agree with the significantly part, otherwise, it's just an expected part of the rebuild when we'ver lost our main striker and two first team midfielders.

Guardiola, Klopp or Pochettino would never have sanctioned those outgoings this Summer as that squad had at least shown that it was capable of amassing 80 points.
This squad will be lucky to get 55.