Is this the most depressing United summer ever? (In your memory)

Decomposing In Paris

Times like these I always remember being devastated the summer of '95 when we sold Hughes, Kanchelskis and Ince... but that turned out ok!

MoskvaRed

This pre-season feels depressing in that I am struggling to overcome a feeling of apathy - it’s not darkly humorous like when we wildly over-promoted Moyes, nor is there anger at the sense of throwing away an opportunity like when Fergie took an axe to his first title winning side in 95. United will probably make top 4 but, in my view, have no realistic shot at the big 2 prizes and I am fairly sure we will not be entertaining to watch. Combine that with the fact that neither the manager nor the current squad has generated reserves of goodwill, and the two best teams are likely to be City and Liverpool, then it’s hard not think about a fresh start under different management for 2019/2020.

ManRed

every season we are excited and season is average or poor. Lets go in depressed, keep expectations low and kick some asses.

jmaggio

I’m figuring as I normally get so excited befor each season, I’m going to do the opposite this year and begrudgingly accept the worst. I think we will battle for 4th and have a run to the semis in one cup. Now hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
It does feel weird. I cant remember a pre-season tour finishing this close to the Prem opener, AND a tour that was missing pretty all our first choice 11. Maybe it was the same after the last WC, but this does feel like the worst prep for a crack at the title for a long time.... My optimistic view is that Mourinho said at Christmas not to expect many summer signings, and that he pretty much now had the squad he wants - so despite his dour press conferences so far, I'm hoping he actually has a plan and the pieces are about to fall into place. We certainly cant afford a slow start to the Prem, as we have a lot of winnable (confidence building) fixtures to open with... in Mou we must trust right?!?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
If you think it’s bad now, wait until we’ve flogged off Pogba and Martial later in the month.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Win our first 3 games with a new CB in and the mood will change quickly. Let’s hope it happens.

arthurka

It does feel weird. I cant remember a pre-season tour finishing this close to the Prem opener, AND a tour that was missing pretty all our first choice 11. Maybe it was the same after the last WC, but this does feel like the worst prep for a crack at the title for a long time.... My optimistic view is that Mourinho said at Christmas not to expect many summer signings, and that he pretty much now had the squad he wants - so despite his dour press conferences so far, I'm hoping he actually has a plan and the pieces are about to fall into place. We certainly cant afford a slow start to the Prem, as we have a lot of winnable (confidence building) fixtures to open with... in Mou we must trust right?!?
Yeah about that. .

Mylock

We will know if its one of worst summer after the 1st 5 games. Hopefully the atmosphere around the team improve once the season starts, I'm not too confident at the moment. Maybe we'll sign a few players in the next few days.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
No. Moyes summer was the worst. SAF had just retired, we got Moyes and the only transfer he made was Fellaini.

The 09/10 season being really bad. We sold Ronaldo and our transfers in were Valencia as his replacement, Owen on a free plus Diouf and Obertan. There wasn't much optimism for that season.

The season before also had people in frantic motions. Zoran Tosic and deadline day signing of Berbatov.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
No. Moyes summer was the worst. SAF had just retired, we got Moyes and the only transfer he made was Fellaini.

The 09/10 season being really bad. We sold Ronaldo and our transfers in were Valencia as his replacement, Owen on a free plus Diouf and Obertan. There wasn't much optimism for that season.

The season before also had people in frantic motions. Zoran Tosic and deadline day signing of Berbatov.
But back then we already had a great team. So it wasn't a problem. The following season, like you mentioned, we started to destroy that team.

Trizy

The fact that we haven't addressed the glaring weaknesses in the squad is very concerning.

Ranked in order of greater need - RW, LB, RB, CM, CB.

We've signed two areas that were that urgent. Any man and his god could tell you we're crying out for a RW. The only thing it looked like we did was chase Bale ffs.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Summer 2013 was worse. By far. SAF retired, Moyes in and only transfer was Fellaini. Depressing.
Anybody saying taht Summer 2018 is worse than Summer 2013, probably did not support MUFC 5 years ago.
Losing the best manager in the World and replacing him with Moyes, is by far and away the worst any Summer can get.
This is probably the 2nd worst (after the Moyes Summer) - the board not backing the manager financially and aiming for 4th place, while Jose wants to win the league, but is not being funded to do this.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
But back then we already had a great team. So it wasn't a problem. The following season, like you mentioned, we started to destroy that team.
Doesn't matter what the existing team is like, people will always clamour for transfers and that summer was noisy on here.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Thier are some rivals to this summer, the summer ronaldo and Tevez left and we brought in Owen and Valencia was very depressing, and like you mention the moyes summer.

But this summer is just sad everyone seems to be just sitting round waiting for Mourinho to self destruct and leave/fired..... not a nice feeling going into the season

Tom Van Persie

No relation
You lot have short memories. The Moyes summer was worse, we actually thought we could get both Baines and Fellaini for £28M when Fellaini had a £23M release clause and we had already failed with a £12M bid for Baines. We turned down the chance to sign Thiago then the whole deadline day mess where we put a panic bid in for Khedira, we apparently sent officials to secure a deal for Herrera or did we I'm still confused, failed to sign Coentrao on loan and ended up over paying for Fellaini.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
No, being cl champs in 2008 and spending the summer watching Ronaldo vie for a move was more depressing. Top of the world and in the same situation we find ourselves in today regarding Pogba.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
You lot have short memories. The Moyes summer was worse, we actually thought we could get both Baines and Fellaini for £28M when Fellaini had a £23M release clause and we had already failed with a £12M bid for Baines. We turned down the chance to sign Thiago then the whole deadline day mess where we put a panic bid in for Khedira, we apparently sent officials to secure a deal for Herrera or did we I'm still confused, failed to sign Coentrao on loan and ended up over paying for Fellaini.
Right. That was the worst.

prateik

This isnt depressing at all.
We have a decent squad. Should have finished with a mid 80s points total till we gave up towards the end. If City have another 100 point season, no one is catching them.. That is a freakish season.

We havent sold anyone we dont want to. We have added. We will add another... maybe two.

People have become addicted to the transfer window nonsense. Just sit back and relax. I cant wait for the season to begin.

CognitiveNeuro

Liverpool fan.

If you want trophies, stick with Mourinho.

If you want nice attacking entertaining football with no trophies, Klopp or Pochettino etc. it is.

I have no doubt Mourinho will win trophies with you all while Klopp won't win anything (bar a league cup or something like that)

Mourinho is literally the best manager in the world when it comes to winning trophies (maybe other than Guardiola)...you all are over-reacting....Mourinho still has a better squad even after Klopp spent millions this summer. You will come the closest to winning trophies this season other than Man City....but they have spent a freakish amount of money to build that squad so it's understandable. Again, it seems like over-reaction.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I get the feeling it's mostly revisionism to say that 2013 was the worst ever. Sure, some people knew Moyes would be a disaster, but most had some hope. We had just won the league and were linked to exciting players. The real disappointment came during the season.

peridigm

What has that got to do with anything?
It has everything to do with the part of your post I highlighted.

ON another note. If you all are already depressed, you best not watch Phil de Brun's periscope from earlier. End of days stuff.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Possibly. I think it certainly feels like it due to a combination of the below
  • The lack of excitement in our football last season
  • The results in pre season
  • The style of football in pre season
  • The managers constant whining
  • Martial seemingly finished at United
  • Pogba being constantly linked with Barcelona
  • The never ending saga with CBs while LB and RW remains a weakness
  • City having just won the league by a country mile
  • Liverpool nearly wining the CL and further strengthening the team
It just seems like a hell of a lot is going against United at the present moment. But it could be fleeting in its nature. We could still go on to change that outlook in the future.

Kag

What do you mean, what winners? All of them that had won trophies that LVG bummed out of the club for literally no reason. Then farcically replacing them with youngsters who had played a handful of senior games when you bundled them all together.

Fletcher, Evans, Cleverley, Van Persie, Lindegard, Hernandez and so on and so on. Literally gutting the entire stable leadership group out of the club in one transfer window. Leaving Mourinho with in the farcical position of having to bin off players like Powell, Wil Keane, McNair etc etc.

I mean, it is nice that we've begun to rebuild by signing some big hitters like Pogba, Sanchez, Matic, Lukaku who might soon grow into some semblance of a leadership core. But the place was absolutely void of leadership when Jose took over. I have absolutley no idea how you instill the leadership down on this group of players who are mostly overpaid and comfortable in their role at the club and able to switch off when we lose and go crying to their social media telling their fans it will be alright, only to have them turn around and proclaim that Jose is the problem.

There is definitely more than meets the eye here.
On what earth were the likes of Lindegaard and Cleverley 'serial winners' or part of the 'leadership group'?

Our leading players either retired the summer prior or left the club. Of those that left the summer Van Gaal arrived, only Evra did the business at Juventus for a couple of years upon leaving, but it was universally agreed that we needed a new left back anyway. Van Persie was finished. So was Vidic. Ferdinand was already away that summer (and clearly finished). Giggs retired.

The players that left the club 'for no reason' all left because they weren't good enough. They've done nothing since leaving to counter that. Now, there were issues with how we spent the money and how Van Gaal coached the side. But gutting the squad was absolutely the right thing to do.

Greck

I get the feeling it's mostly revisionism to say that 2013 was the worst ever. Sure, some people knew Moyes would be a disaster, but most had some hope. We had just won the league and were linked to exciting players. The real disappointment came during the season.
Yeah there was uncertainty but then we won the community shield and our first game of the season and things were looking up. All went downhill after

fellaini's barber

It has everything to do with the part of your post I highlighted.

ON another note. If you all are already depressed, you best not watch Phil de Brun's periscope from earlier. End of days stuff.
We shouldn't bother even expecting Jose to win the league because Pep is managing City? Why? What's the point of Jose then?

Treble

Well, previous summer transfer windows were perceived as exciting and the expetations were big. Maybe a depressing summer will be followed by an exciting season?

Kant-ona

Could become worse, right? Still a few days to sell Martial and Pogba. ;)