Is this the start of Rooney's transition into midfield?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Poor Smithy...
He was an average striker who turned into a poor CM but then again we don't really know how things would have been if it hadn't been for that horrid injury.

Mainoldo

Your dad must have just sperm could of one, because there isn't a chance in hell that the cell which spawned you beat anything to the punch.
Whattt....?? Better you never responded! But your mom wished my dad laid her some pipe! She could have had a good beat and a son to be proud of!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Being convinced he doesn't have what it takes to become a midfielder is one thing – it's a fair enough opinion. Reacting as though the idea is utterly outlandish, however, is quite another. Fergie has been talking about this for a long time – he has used Rooney in the middle before and he will do it again.

The premise here, which seems lost on some, is that Rooney has the potential to grow into the role. At the moment he clearly hasn't done so yet. The present state Rooney is obviously much more of a striker and far too raw to be considered a prime midfielder. But that's neither here nor there. There are aspects to his game which makes it likely that he can indeed be re-invented as a midfielder. That's what Fergie is pondering – and he has been doing so for a while. The hostility to this idea is strange to me. Rooney won't go to waste. If he can't cut it as a starting man in midfield he won't be used in that capacity – Fergie isn't an idiot. He's more than aware that Rooney can also – simply – keep on playing up front if that's what suits us best. This isn't a choice between a mediocre CM and an excellent striker. If he ends up as a midfielder (and it will be an attacking one – he will never be converted into a holding man, obviously not) it'll be because he truly excels in the position. So what exactly is the problem?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I'll let the juices of unbalanced attacking wankdom flow:

---------Falcao-------
-Welbeck---------RVP-
----Kagawa-Rooney----
---------Carrick--------
:eek: Holy fecking shit. That would be a crazy lineup to be honest, and I'm not sure how the lack of 'proper midfielders' would work against the best of teams. Although if you replace Welbeck with Ronaldo..then I would ignore the issues and join in the wankathon.

Drifter

American
Wayne Rooney’s ‘brilliant’ display at Stoke could see him play in midfield again for Manchester United, according to Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Red Devils boss lifted the lid on his decision to push the England international into a deeper midfield role alongside Michael Carrick in the 2-0 win against the Potters at the Britannia Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The Scot claimed he did it to help Rooney get some confidence back into his game following some disappointing performances in attacking positions over the past few weeks.

Ferguson stopped short of saying he would keep playing Rooney in a midfield role permanently, but admitted that he could line up there again between now and the summer after he picked up the man-of-the-match award.

He said: “I thought he was brilliant.

“I think he was possibly needing a different role in terms of getting his confidence back.

“He’s been getting a little bit of criticism, not seriously so, but a few doubters. He’s a fantastic player and our job is to get his confidence and form back.

“I thought a spell in midfield today would do him the world of good and, of course, it worked for us.”

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
i just plain don't like Rooney in midfield.

It just seems odd to use the finest British attacking player of his generation and use him out of position.

Better there than on the left of midfield though I grant you

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
i just plain don't like Rooney in midfield.

It just seems odd to use the finest British attacking player of his generation and use him out of position.

Better there than on the left of midfield though I grant you
When playing the number 10 role he spends half his time in midfield anyway? what is the difference.

Infact he was probably more involved in the game against stoke than any other for the last month.

Zen

The difference would probably be half of the time + the other half.

Adebesi

I cant see Rooney becoming a full time midfielder. I think he will always end up playing in different places. It is his cross.

There's a voice that keeps on calling Roo.
Down the road, that's where he'll always be.
Every stop he makes, he makes a new friend,
Can't stay for long, just turn around and he's gone again

Maybe tomorrow, he'll want to settle down,
Until tomorrow, he'll just keep moving on.

Down this season that never seems to end,
Where new adventure lies just around the bend.
So if you want to join Roo for a while,
Just grab your boots, come travel light, that's hobo style.

Maybe tomorrow he'll want to settle down,
Until tomorrow, the whole pitch is his home.

So if you want to join him for a while,
Just grab your boots, come travel light, that's hobo style

There's a world that's waiting to unfold,
A brand new tale no-one has ever told.
The season's long and now we know it wont be long;
We're almost there, and we've paid our fare with our hobo song.

Maybe tomorrow, Ferg will let him settle down.
Until tomorrow, he'll keep on getting shunted around.

Maybe tomorrow, he'll find a position to call home,
Until tomorrow, he'll just be free to roam.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
We are all missing the point, we are all debating moving an experienced and quality forward to midfield as it looks more likely than us actually buying one.......the only thing I can think of is that SAF finds winning the league so easy these days he needs an added challenge :)

LR7

I think the Rooney in midfield debate will rumble on for a while. Admittedly he's played in midfield before in the season but it's usually just dropping deep to form a midfield three. Being one of a midfield two is a different prospect and he did well imo. Similar performances against teams who pass the ball more and better than Stoke would give us a better idea of how he might perform there in bigger games, but a promising cameo at least surely?

Positives I took were the fact that at times he runs with the ball at his feet, plays lots of positive forward passes into dangerous areas and gets himself into good positions. He's a ridiculously versatile player and seems to be able to do them all at a very high level as opposed to being a 'jack of all trades master of none' type player.

I think some people have become so completely exasperated with the midfield situation at the club for the past few years that the idea of Rooney being the reason SAF doesn't buy a CM this summer is stopping a few people from being objective about Rooney's ability to play there. It's almost a closed-minded premature stance, and whilst I understand why people are taking it, I think we should give it a chance at least.

ciderman9000000

When playing the number 10 role he spends half his time in midfield anyway? what is the difference.

Infact he was probably more involved in the game against stoke than any other for the last month.
I think this is crucial. For me, getting Rooney on the ball as much as possible is always a good thing for United, and he certainly sees more on the ball in midfield than up front. When Rooney has the ball at his feet he makes things happen, this whether he picks it up in defence, the midfield or the final third; I'd much rather see Rooney initiating our attacks than any other player as of our whole team it's his vision and attacking intelligence that stands head and shoulders above the rest. He can be more effective, more productive in CM than in any other position imo as that's where he'll receive the most possession; it's for this reason that I wouldn't say his attacking talents were at all wasted when playing so deep - his killer instance in front of goal would be missed occasionally, but Rooney's greatest attacking strength imo is in his build-up play, which itself is just as good, just as effective (and importantly, more frequent) when initiated deeper as opposed to being restricted to the final third.

It's been overlooked as something of an irrelevance by those who refuse to accept his suitability to the position, but his consistency in making those pinpoint, looping balls to the flanks is remarkable; with in-form wingers who're able to capitalise on such deliveries they could be used to devastating effect. I've not even seen Paul Scholes play so many of such balls, and he's well known as being a master of exactly that; that's saying something.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think the Rooney in midfield debate will rumble on for a while. Admittedly he's played in midfield before in the season but it's usually just dropping deep to form a midfield three. Being one of a midfield two is a different prospect and he did well imo. Similar performances against teams who pass the ball more and better than Stoke would give us a better idea of how he might perform there in bigger games, but a promising cameo at least surely?

Positives I took were the fact that at times he runs with the ball at his feet, plays lots of positive forward passes into dangerous areas and gets himself into good positions. He's a ridiculously versatile player and seems to be able to do them all at a very high level as opposed to being a 'jack of all trades master of none' type player.

I think some people have become so completely exasperated with the midfield situation at the club for the past few years that the idea of Rooney being the reason SAF doesn't buy a CM this summer is stopping a few people from being objective about Rooney's ability to play there. It's almost a closed-minded premature stance, and whilst I understand why people are taking it, I think we should give it a chance at least.
He could only do all that because Stoke sat so far off him. Even the commentators said it's the ideal game for Rooney to play there. Fergie evem played him there as a confidence booster, he obviously knew he'd get away with it because Stoke are dogshit. Rooney hasn't got the attirbutes to play in midfield in the bigger, more intense games

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I wonder if United is the team that plays most of his players out of position.

I just dont see Rooney in midfield, it is not in his nature and we all know how good he can be upfront when used the right way. Why not just buy midfielders and let him play where he's at his best

LR7

He could only do all that because Stoke sat so far off him. Even the commentators said it's the ideal game for Rooney to play there. Fergie evem played him there as a confidence booster, he obviously knew he'd get away with it because Stoke are dogshit. Rooney hasn't got the attirbutes to play in midfield in the bigger, more intense games
I agree with you on Stoke, I acknowledged their incompetences in my post and said that Its something Rooney would have to do against an opposition who pass the ball better. I'd still like to see it though. Chelsea away or Swansea at home if the league is won by then could be the acid test. Both teams like to pass the ball rather than hoof it like Stoke or West Ham. I'm quite open to the idea without committing to it.

LR7

I wonder if United is the team that plays most of his players out of position.

I just dont see Rooney in midfield, it is not in his nature and we all know how good he can be upfront when used the right way. Why not just buy midfielders and let him play where he's at his best
Wenger plays a lot of players out of position, does he beat SAF?!

Zen86

I agree with you on Stoke, I acknowledged their incompetences in my post and said that Its something Rooney would have to do against an opposition who pass the ball better. I'd still like to see it though. Chelsea away or Swansea at home if the league is won by then could be the acid test. Both teams like to pass the ball rather than hoof it like Stoke or West Ham. I'm quite open to the idea without committing to it.
Why though?

Why feel the need to shift Rooney to this position or that position? Why not just buy an actual midfielder? I don't understand why people always want to shoehorn Rooney into different spots.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Aye, fair enough. I just can't see Fergie trying it tbh. Reading between the lines of what he's said, he brought Rooney back into midfield to play himself back into form because he's low on confidence. I think there's two reasons for this, firstly he's been struggling when put under pressure on the ball, and also he's cocked up his fair share of attacks when trying to play first time passes.

I think Fergie pulled him into midfield knowing they wouldn't put an emphasis on that area of the pitch, therfore relieving the pressure on him. To play him in midfield against a good midfield would probably be the last thing I'd choose to do with Rooney given his weaknesses/issues. Obviously I could be wrong, we'll have to see what happens.

LR7

Why though?

Why feel the need to shift Rooney to this position or that position? Why not just buy an actual midfielder? I don't understand why people always want to shoehorn Rooney into different spots.
If he's good there he's good there regardless of whether he's a striker or not. I'm not saying it should be his position mind, just that I'm open to it. I said in my earlier post I think most of the opposition to it is the fear that if Rooney does play there it could mean this is another season where we don't buy a midfielder. I understand people being apprehensive of it because of that but I don't see the harm in assessing if Rooney has a future there. With him RvP and Kagawa in the starting XI someone is going to have to be shoehorned somewhere and that's ignoring Chicharito and Welbeck! (Kagawa and Welbeck have been this seasons biggest victims of shoehorning btw!)

Nialler

Alex's Dad
I think its an experiment worth persevering with, it might actually revitalise Rooney should he become accustomed to the role. Scholes was a striker when he first broke into the team and over time he evolved into one of the finest midfielders of his generation and indeed our clubs history.

LR7

Aye, fair enough. I just can't see Fergie trying it tbh. Reading between the lines of what he's said, he brought Rooney back into midfield to play himself back into form because he's low on confidence. I think there's two reasons for this, firstly he's been struggling when put under pressure on the ball, and also he's cocked up his fair share of attacks when trying to play first time passes.

I think Fergie pulled him into midfield knowing they wouldn't put an emphasis on that area of the pitch, therfore relieving the pressure on him. To play him in midfield against a good midfield would probably be the last thing I'd choose to do with Rooney given his weaknesses/issues. Obviously I could be wrong, we'll have to see what happens.
I appreciate that view. I thought another reason SAF did it was to get more goal scorers on the pitch. We haven't scored that many lately and Cleverley doesn't score or make many goals so it was an 'obvious' move really given that Stoke midfield would be easy enough for Rooney to play through. I just think the debate on it has stemmed from SAF saying he thought Rooney did brilliantly there and it's something he might do again this season. You never know with SAF he could have just been saying it to boost Rooney's confidence but I genuinely think its given him food for thought. It wouldn't hurt to see it against better opposition.

Zen86

If he's good there he's good there regardless of whether he's a striker or not. I'm not saying it should be his position mind, just that I'm open to it. I said in my earlier post I think most of the opposition to it is the fear that if Rooney does play there it could mean this is another season where we don't buy a midfielder. I understand people being apprehensive of it because of that but I don't see the harm in assessing if Rooney has a future there. With him RvP and Kagawa in the starting XI someone is going to have to be shoehorned somewhere and that's ignoring Chicharito and Welbeck! (Kagawa and Welbeck have been this seasons biggest victims of shoehorning btw!)
I've found his general play for the most part this season to be pretty poor to be honest, yet he's still been scoring goals. I find that the mark of someone who should stay up front and not in the middle.

LR7

I've found his general play for the most part this season to be pretty poor to be honest, yet he's still been scoring goals. I find that the mark of someone who should stay up front and not in the middle.
For one or two games his overall play has been sloppy but to call it poor for most of the season is a huge exaggeration.

Backrow Singer

I don't think he's ready to play there just yet personally, but he certainly has the strengths and abilities needed to play in midfield. For me, Wayne Rooney is at his best when he has the freedom to express himself, and although he has looked good when he's played that bit deeper, I still think he is at his best when he is played that little bit further forward. In midfield he would find himself in a positional trap that puts a cap on that creative aspect of his play, and as I say, that is when he is at his best. He can be devestating at times when he is in that free role behind the front man, and as with any player, he is at his best when he is enjoying his football. That 'Number 10' role gives him the opportunity to drop that little bit deeper to influence the game, whilst bringing the best out of bim in an attacking sense.

I have no doubts that he will make the transition eventually, but at this moment in time, I would play him that little bit further forward where he is at his best.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's a pretty crap midfielder. Just play him further forward please.

Mainoldo

At the moment Kagawa is a better option playing behind RvP.
To me he always has been. Wayne Rooney is plan and simply a Striker. If he wants to be the one that drops off from the front fine. But nothing else.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He seems to want to play there tonight. I thought he was supposed to play further up the field with Giggs in central midfield but I love the way that trio is interchanging their positions.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He always looks about 10 games away from being comfortable in the role. Lots of wasted Hollywood balls and careless passes, he's like a worse version of Gerrard at the moment. He definitely could play there if he's given a proper run though.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Play him there the rest of this season then when we have the thing won. Decent chance to experiment with this stuff.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
He always looks about 10 games away from being comfortable in the role. Lots of wasted Hollywood balls and careless passes, he's like a worse version of Gerrard at the moment. He definitely could play there if he's given a proper run though.
He's not even played 10 games there, not surprising he doesn't look settled in the position yet.

Overall it's been a positive performance though, you are certainly right about the Hollywood long passes but bar that he's looked good again. Certainly doesn't look out of place and given a run of 5 or 10 games I think he'll continue to grow into it.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Would be interesting to hear SAF and Rooney's opinions on it as a long term prospect.

Dante

Average bang
I'll reserve judgement until I see him play against a decent midfield. I'm not convinced he'll have the discipline to spot runs and plug gaps.