Is this the worst it's been?

PoTMS

The worst thing is there is no light at the end of the tunnel. How have Barcelona, the only club worse run than us, already overhauled their team in a month?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It isn’t but it’s the most disappointing. To finish 2nd last season and then buy Sancho (one of the most highly rated youngsters in the world), Varane (one of the best CB’s about) and get Ronaldo back, we should have done something. Here we are looking very unlikely to get top 4. It’s complete shite from all involved.

It shows to me the squad is as rotten as it has ever been and we need a serious clear out.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
We also came back stronger and better finishing 3rd to QPR and Liverpool I think. Doc would have won us the title I think, if he hadnt dilly dallied with Mary Brown!
I doubt it. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the Doc’s footballing philosophy but I don’t think he was a league winning manager. We did play some exciting football under him. Loved Hill, Coppell, Pearson, Macari, Buchan etc etc.

Fts 74

Since fergie left I'd have to say yes, since I've been watching no fergies first 3/4 years were very bad.

Lee565

Yes, we now have inconsistent players throwing their toys out their pram about not being regular starters and wanting out, that is how far the standards have dropped. We use to players like park, Hernandez, brown, saha that are better than our current first 11 players and yet were happy to be rotational players

Silverman

I'm starting to think it might be. I was born in the early 90's so started supporting United in 2004 or so which was nothing but success for the club really.
Now we look absolutely lost.
- Over 1 billion spent in the last 10 years and nowhere near being a title challenger.
- Owners who just use the club to line their pockets.
- A board comprised of businessmen making football decisions.
- A bunch of entitled, self-serving players who couldn't be arsed to put a shift in.
- Uncertainly over a new manager who if chosen poorly could set us back further.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never disliked a bunch of players more than now that's for sure.

ExoduS

The only reason this is worst than it ever has been is because we can't really fire this manager as he is temporary anyway. There was always hope that we can fire a guy and get a new guy and things will get better. At this scenario Rangnick didn't even buy enough credibility that he will be able to get us a decent replacement.

O yeah, and these players are total assholes. I have never seen these many "leaks" coming out of any locker room, let alone ours. It seems every week there is something coming out that is detrimental to team morale.

We have so many average players that are on top of that terrible human beings. Bunch of whiny wimps... And on top of all of that we have alleged abuser.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Same, they're such an unlikeable lot at the moment.
I'm sure this is impulsive but I really struggle to name players I'd want to stay next season. Elanga, Sancho and maybe Bruno but I'm not too keen on his overall play even when on form. I have a like for Fred but he isn't good enough either.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I've said it for a while now: some of our performances have been worse than the season we were relegated to the old Second Division.

There is a sickness at the heart of the club and I'd sack most of the board tomorrow: can anyone tell me what they've got right in the past, say, five years? The Ole hiring was so obviously a mistake from day one and showed such arrogance; hiring ex legends didn't work at Newcastle or Leeds or Liverpool, yet these guys "knew better" and actually tried to tell us that a manager with no pedigree who had failed at Cardiff was the man to take us back to the top. Jokers, the lot of them.

As things stand, we are re-facing 26 years in the wilderness and i don't see any improvement likely to come from the latest appointments: Wooward's shadow, Darren Fletcher etc. Which leaves me seriously doubting that they'll get the right man in as manager next season.

Hughie77

It was drab at times in the 80s but not as bad as this at least we got a few FA cups. I'd say SAF first 2 to 3 seasons were not good, but we new he had a massive job on his hands.
I'd say this squad is not to bad, you have to get the ones who think there better than they are out, and go from, there, I want 8 out this summer, and at least 4 Top quality in.

cabbs1989

Moyes era was still worse for me, followed by later mourinho, I still think there’s quality in the squad, I think rangnick has is playing better although second half against city was woeful, we could easily of had an extra 8 points or so if it wasn’t for awful finishing, things would seem brighter then, I mean I think we will beat spurs, arsenal will drop points to Leicester and Liverpool and then it’s back on again, in a week things could be much more positive

crossy1686

career ending
Sentiment seems to be at an all time low around here at the moment, but getting mauled off your rivals and looking like it’s Europa league next season is about as depressing as it gets.

Strong management from the board level can fix all this but we’re yet to see anyone that knows what they’re doing at that level and now the players are running the club and deciding who they’ll play for, when they’ll play, and who the next manager is.

croadyman

It isn’t but it’s the most disappointing. To finish 2nd last season and then buy Sancho (one of the most highly rated youngsters in the world), Varane (one of the best CB’s about) and get Ronaldo back, we should have done something. Here we are looking very unlikely to get top 4. It’s complete shite from all involved.

It shows to me the squad is as rotten as it has ever been and we need a serious clear out.
Remember thinking even with those signings we still have McFred in midfield which isn't acceptable for a big club

croadyman

Moyes era was still worse for me, followed by later mourinho, I still think there’s quality in the squad, I think rangnick has is playing better although second half against city was woeful, we could easily of had an extra 8 points or so if it wasn’t for awful finishing, things would seem brighter then, I mean I think we will beat spurs, arsenal will drop points to Leicester and Liverpool and then it’s back on again, in a week things could be much more positive
Might sound harsh but we don't deserve to scab top 4 after a generally poor season. Also fear it could mean those clowns upstairs don't think there is a need to spend much.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I'm in my mid thirties now having followed United since the early nineties. I'm hoping I see us win a trophy by the time I hit 65.

sparx99

Might sound harsh but we don't deserve to scab top 4 after a generally poor season. Also fear it could mean those clowns upstairs don't think there is a need to spend much.
The delusion they’d have to have to not spend after watching this season would be epic. Not to mention they know Pogba, Lingard, Cavani and Mata at the least are on expiring contracts.

Despite everything I do think the board and Murtough want us to be a top side. I just think there has been an idiot in charge for most of the last decade and we haven’t had a long term plan at any stage.

Kag

Not even close. The end of Mourinho was a toxic mess that people would do well to remember. That bastard would have turned the club to ash if it meant saving his skin.

Von Mistelroum

Yes it's 100% the worst it's been. We might have played a little worse at points but we haven't looked so consistently devoid of passion, skill and let's face it, a clue before. The main reasons that this is the worst it has been though is because we are on a downward trajectory still and with no likelihood of turning anything around. We are a disjointed team with a poor squad and awful structure all the way from the owners down.

The problem is that everything from the stadium, owners, trainers, management and structure of the club right down to the players and entire squad need a massive overhaul and there's absolutely no chance this is likely to happen. We're looking at a very long time out of the limelight and being potentially permanently replaced as one of the top teams in English football.

Oh, and finally we've also become a joke club with meme status. It's going to be a long time before we can potentially put that behind us too and this, along with the style and talent of oil club rivals and Liverpool should see a steady decline in the uptake of younger fans for many years to come. So yeah it's looking pretty bad but SO FAR this is the worst it's been.

tomaldinho1

Liverpool at home this season was far worse but this second half can’t be that far off. It has been so bad I can’t express my disappointment.

So many bad performances, lack of belief and effort. Club needs to start again but with its current structure I don’t trust it would end any differently
Agreed, that was pure embarrassment. At home and 5 nil down to bitter rivals within 50mins who then just chill to avoid injuries. I honestly think that’s the lowest we’ll see in our lifetimes.

madzo2007

Looking back on it seems like last season we were in a false position. With no fans in the stadium last season there was no pressure, noise, intensity etc, the players could relax player their game and mostly win. As we have found out this season our players are weak under pressure.

They can't deal with the pressure and expectation from home fans at OT and they can't deal with the intensity and pressure created by the fans away from home either.

After signing the players we signed I expected much better but i think this season has been the lowest since Fergie retired.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The worst thing is there is no light at the end of the tunnel. How have Barcelona, the only club worse run than us, already overhauled their team in a month?
I don't really follow La Liga anymore so not sure if Barca really are on the road to salvation but having players like Pedri coming through certainly helps, even more so when you add him to the likes of De Jong

AndySmith1990

Suppose it helps that Barcelona have a great academy that produces very good players who fit their style of play

Revaulx

73/74 was dire
The first two thirds of it was.

Then suddenly and out of nowhere we started playing nice football and getting decent results. Daly and McCalliog coming into the team played a big part in this.

Results fell off towards the end of the season and we went down anyway, but most fans felt a lot more optimistic about the future at the end of the season than we had at the beginning.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Worst it's been as in frustration with the team, I would imagine yes, by a long shot.

There have been lows, number 1 being Munich of course but that made the club and fans come together and there was a strong appeal about the club.
We were also relegated in the past but I'd imagine we're less patient for a number of reasons.

1. Money= When you see multi-millionaires constantly under-perform for a number of years, their wages makes it more frustrating.
2. Social Media (players) It's been a huge change in society and players apologising for matches, posting silly videos, being involved in other activites (fashion, politics etc) As we now see a big part of their personal lives, it's easy to think they have other distractions and need to focus more on football.
3. Social Media (general) 20, 30, 40 years ago, you lose a match and you forget about it. These days, you have every pundit pretending they're shocked by United even though it's been going on for years. Whatsapp groups (I've left a few) Talksport, Match of the Day, Fans Channels, Podcasts, it's actually quite difficult to escape.
4. Rivals= It couldn't be worse. It seems literally every week, United drop points while Liverpool and City seem to win most weeks. It's come to the point where most of us are hoping City win every week, this has been going on for about 5 years.
5. Accepting reality= A lot of United fans keep talking about the money City have spent. We've nearly spent as much and need to accept it's been completely wasted. We can keep changing managers but we keep playing Wan Bissaka, Maguire, McFred etc I could mention a few others but there'll never be any progress when playing these players. How many chances do they need?

A lot of fans seem to feel a disconnect at the moment. Hope seems gone even if we upset Atletico, we could end up playing City or Liverpool again. It feels like we'd have no chance. Like 0 chance. Who knows? Things could get better soon but I believe it will take a number of years.

AFC NimbleThumb

For me it’s the worst it’s been as it feels like a hopeless situation. We’ve made some terrible decisions in recent years & I think a lot of us would be hard pressed to say we believe the club have learnt from those things so will do things differently. I’ve long lost faith that the people in charge will make decent decisions.

Look at what Barcelona have turned last Summer into already, we seem to be happy to just let transfer windows go & let things happen so I expect the same crap we see every year now.

Volksie316

You know it's the worst it's been, when Newcastle United, will win a league title, before we do next.

Red00012

I couldn’t give a crap if we sold any of our 1st team squad now so yes that’s as bad as it has got for me . We are a shitshow and it won’t charge in the next year or 2

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
2 or 3 absolutely essential signings and correct promotions and we'll be up there again... But it really does depend on the correct signings and not cocky vanity ones.

Ronaldo143

Not even close. The end of Mourinho was a toxic mess that people would do well to remember. That bastard would have turned the club to ash if it meant saving his skin.
if it’s happening again and again you got to blame the players as well. Atleast Jose won us few trophies and that was the last.