Ismaila Sarr

Bocca9978

The player we should have gone for from Watford is Joao Pedro.

Sarr looks like he could grow into an effective player, but not for a top 4 club.
But is he 4-8? Might suite us.

I wish we was a top four club again.

Ekeke

I beg to differ…..:Sarr has pace and can get down the wing to the byline - we don’t have anyone that can do that - we just stop, cut in, allow the opposition to get back and eventually lump it into the box or just lose possession
We put in 24 crosses last game. Thats the one thing we didnt need more of. Now someone looking like they might score from the cross on the other hand... or DMs who actually track back and defend. Thats another thing

Strootman's Finger

Fletcher watched him on Monday.
I absolutely love Fletcher as a player, but firing him is probably one of the best things this club can do. Just like he was a player, he is a jack of all trades, master of none. He's coaching, he's scouting, he's negotiating players, etc. Hire some proper football people already, Manchester United shouldn't be run by someone doing his internship.

JB7

I absolutely love Fletcher as a player, but firing him is probably one of the best things this club can do. Just like he was a player, he is a jack of all trades, master of none. He's coaching, he's scouting, he's negotiating players, etc. Hire some proper football people already, Manchester United shouldn't be run by someone doing his internship.
I'm sorry why do you think it's odd that a technical director would go and watch a player?

Strootman's Finger

I'm sorry why do you think it's odd that a technical director would go and watch a player?
And then take up a training session in the afternoon? Don't pretend this is normal, people like you accepting this crap is why we are being fed this crap.

dove

What is his role exactly? He seems to be everywhere. Coaching, technical director, now apparently a scout too.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Ah yes, contemplating.

The next step is to register our interest.

Chief123

Aren’t you supposed to scout players well in advance?

Are we really going to make a decision to sign him based on Fletcher scouting him on Monday? We should know with the season already started whether we want to sign him or not.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Aren’t you supposed to scout players well in advance?

Are we really going to make a decision to sign him based on Fletcher scouting him on Monday? We should know with the season already started whether we want to sign him or not.
We've scouted him for years. We nearly signed him in 2020.

GoldanoGraham

We put in 24 crosses last game. Thats the one thing we didnt need more of. Now someone looking like they might score from the cross on the other hand... or DMs who actually track back and defend. Thats another thing
But only once when there wasn’t about 20 players in the box - when we did fast on the break Ronaldo should have setup Rashford to score.

There is a big difference in a fast paced attack and cross and one where we sling the ball in aimlessly having knocked it from side to side a dozen times.

We need pace and to attack the wings and cross. We just don’t do it anywhere near enough.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's not unusual for a club director or even a manager to go watch a player in person before deciding to buy them. Fergie famously missed a United game to go watch de Gea in person.

Rossa

How many came from Dalot? Those should be discarded

rabnub

Of those 24 crosses though how many involved a player beating an man to get to by line and whipping one in? Majority from what i can remember were from situations where Brighton were set in defence and we played the ball form side to side before crossing in... Never going to be as effective as getting to by line and whipping one in. If memory serves me correct some of our best attacking moments were when we actually did this..

Oh and Luke Shaw failing to beat the first man countless times with crosses is really starting to get on my wick!! Its not bloody rocket science. Beat the first man at least

Reactions: 711

goalscholes

I watch him regularly. Any Watford fan you ask will say he is not good enough for United. A few (albeit a minority) argue that he shouldn't start for them in the Championship, and would be happy if he were sold.

He's got all the attributes, but he is so inconsistent and lacks mental strength. He's got tremendous pace, but constantly refuses to take on much slower players one-on-one, cutting back and passing backwards or sideways. His inconsistency would make United fans turn on him very, very quickly.

JB7

And then take up a training session in the afternoon? Don't pretend this is normal, people like you accepting this crap is why we are being fed this crap.
I'm not accepting anything, but he's not part of the coaching staff currently is he? As I understood it he was part of the staff last season when Rangnick couldn't get his own people in but this year Fletcher is back to his previous role as Technical Director? Part of which is quite obviously watching potential players.

Chief123

I watch him regularly. Any Watford fan you ask will say he is not good enough for United. A few (albeit a minority) argue that he shouldn't start for them in the Championship, and would be happy if he were sold.

He's got all the attributes, but he is so inconsistent and lacks mental strength. He's got tremendous pace, but constantly refuses to take on much slower players one-on-one, cutting back and passing backwards or sideways. His inconsistency would make United fans turn on him very, very quickly.
Sounds like Antonio Valencia.

bucky

I think it's more likely Fletcher was there watching João Pedro.

hobbers

I'm not accepting anything, but he's not part of the coaching staff currently is he? As I understood it he was part of the staff last season when Rangnick couldn't get his own people in but this year Fletcher is back to his previous role as Technical Director? Part of which is quite obviously watching potential players.
He's still part of the coaching staff. And sometimes a director, sometimes a scout, sometimes a negotiator.

It's a farce, no one can do two of those roles to any decent level at the same time. Just smacks of him being a guy they keep around and send out on errands or to put the cones out.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I knew there would be a nonsense link as soon as I saw his goal the other night.

Zoo

So they made a story out of Fletcher going to the game.

bucky

Point I was going to make, who’s making an assumption that’s who we were watching?
Dennis? Pedro?
Furthermore I think most journalists have no interest in reporting the difference with us doing our due diligence as opposed to actual interest to sign someone. We could have been there to watch Sarr, as well, but that does not mean we are actually interested in signing him.

roseguy64

He's still part of the coaching staff. And sometimes a director, sometimes a scout, sometimes a negotiator.

It's a farce, no one can do two of those roles to any decent level at the same time. Just smacks of him being a guy they keep around and send out on errands or to put the cones out.
He's not been a negotiator. Neither has been a scout. Unless you think Ferguson watching a player made him a scout too.

His role in the club is basically to be an aid to the youth team players who're making the transition to the first team. Either help decide if they're ready to make the transition or need a loan.

As per similar roles at other clubs, he's also assisting with coaching since he's qualified and it's only half his day and is called upon by the hierarchy to provide a second opinion on footballing decisions as someone who's got a good football mind.

Ekeke

But only once when there wasn’t about 20 players in the box - when we did fast on the break Ronaldo should have setup Rashford to score.

There is a big difference in a fast paced attack and cross and one where we sling the ball in aimlessly having knocked it from side to side a dozen times.

We need pace and to attack the wings and cross. We just don’t do it anywhere near enough.
Dont think this manager is going to bring more of that. That was the Mourinho style counterattack. ETH's style will see opponents sitting back in position as we have control of the ball

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
We tried to sign him for years but were basically priced out by Watford.