Israel - Iran and regional players | Please post respectfully

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Early indications seem to be that Iran is going with the "pathetic Zionist response easily dealt with" reaction. I'm not exactly confident but I think there's a fair chance both sides find ways to declare victory without any further escalation (diminishing tit for tat or similar).

Sweet Square

Early indications seem to be that Iran is going with the "pathetic Zionist response easily dealt with" reaction. I'm not exactly confident but I think there's a fair chance both sides find ways to declare victory without any further escalation (diminishing tit for tat or similar).
Hopefully it was just some go pro’s attached to a propeller and the US is making it a big deal in order to massage the ego of Israel. While Iran can sell having a great defence.

LARulz

Watch for any sign that Iran implicates the US in the strikes – that might signal their intent to label US bases in Iraq and Syria as legitimate targets for any response.

Iran will of course be inclined to respond, but if this turns out to be a single strike, at a target connected to Iran's attacks, and with limited civilian harm, then I don't think Tehran will have reason, desire or justification to escalate
Sky News blog

At some point this face saving tit for tat is going to go a bit far. Cos how do Iran now spin this without needing to respond in some way?

LARulz

Lt. Gen. Hertling (ret.) weighing in.

Gotta agree with him on all points.
But didn't Iran basically warn everyone with hours to go to get them ready? Not saying the outcome would have been different but it seemed it was just to say they did something. Israel seemingly did it with no warning

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Are you in Hamas? How on earth do you know what the specific intention was? If that was their intention, it's been an incredible success.
I'd say that disrupting the normalisation of relations between Israel and the Arab world was their primary objective. However, everyone must have known how Israel was going to respond, Hama especially. The fact Israel have done so to the Nth degree must have delighted Hamas and Hezbohla etc. And yet again Gazan civilians cop the brunt. An utter shit show but sadly a highly predictable one.

MDFC Manager

But didn't Iran basically warn everyone with hours to go to get them ready? Not saying the outcome would have been different but it seemed it was just to say they did something. Israel seemingly did it with no warning
Just reading that israel did inform US, though don't know about the veracity of that or if us in turn informed Iran or not.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Just reading that israel did inform US, though don't know about the veracity of that or if us in turn informed Iran or not.
The Guardian reported that the Israelis have informed the US yesterday that they were going to strike Iran in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Just like the bombing of the Damascus consulate, on short notice. Not that it would've changed anything.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Fck Bibi. Get him and this war happy right wing insanity out of power. US should say not one more penny until that happens.

LARulz

But that's telling the US, not Iran like Iran told everyone to allow them (in theory) to get ready and shoot stuff down

Jev

If this is the only direct response from Israel, it looks designed to de-escalate rather than the opposite, doesn’t it? Pleasantly surprised the response wasn’t more severe, for now.

Beachryan

If this is the only direct response from Israel, it looks designed to de-escalate rather than the opposite, doesn’t it? Pleasantly surprised the response wasn’t more severe, for now.
Have to hope this is correct.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
So basically is all a show without the intention to hurt anyone to avoid escalation, but either wants to have the last word. Hopefully it stops before something goes very wrong

Beachryan

So basically is all a show without the intention to hurt anyone to avoid escalation, but either wants to have the last word. Hopefully it stops before something goes very wrong
Indeed, incredible how many complex issues gets reduced to a metaphorical d*ck waving contest. Sigh.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Hopefully this is the end of all of it.

Sounds like Israel attacked potentially one site and did so without even entering Iranian airspace. Iran seem to have gone down nothing happened here, nothing to see route.

Hopefully they can sell it to their population/hardliners as so. And hopefully Israel are satisfied that they've showed Iran they can strike at them without their planes being in danger and we can leave it there.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Indeed. Just to have the last word and nothing more.

Hopefully both kids can let go now.

Last edited:

ScholesyTheWise

Looks like a de-escalation move to me.
What could happen though,
is that Ben Gvir or Smotrich may threaten to quit the government if this rather tame response is all that Israel is going to go for.

And then Bibi is going to have to do something, because staying in power is the one thing that matters....

we shall see.

Dr. StrangeHate

I don't see how Iran just waves this off. There's got to be escalation.
If the damage is minimal, it would be in their interest to just say they successfully repelled the attack and stop it right there. I hope this is what happens but we have two crazy people in charge of Iran and Israel and then we have weak senile c*** in the white house.

Spark

Weird to see in slow motion military deescalation happen in real time.

1) Damascus - a lot of lives lost, a consulate building destroyed.
2) Iranian retaliation - no lives lost, heavily choreographed, but "big" show of force
3) Israeli retaliation to the retaliation - they've done something, no one can confirm what it is but it's enough to say "hey we fired a missile into Iran".

It's hopefully fizzling out and a catastrophic war is being avoided.

nickm

2) Iranian retaliation - no lives lost, heavily choreographed, but "big" show of force
3) Israeli retaliation to the retaliation - they've done something, no one can confirm what it is but it's enough to say "hey we fired a missile into Iran".

Looks like Israel has decided to bank its winnings to me.

Revan

Assumptionman
Seems to me that Israel decided that they cannot afford a war with Iran without the US joining them, and Biden does not want to enter a war, especially not just before the election with majority of Americans caring much more about domestic issues.

So they essentially hit Iran in their Supreme Leader birthday in a city that has a nuclear reactor, more like as a symbolic of 'you cannot hit us, we can hit you wherever we want, and there is not much you can do about it'. A bit of tit-for-tat, same as they have been doing with Hezbollah. So now the ball in back in Iran's court, but considering that their experiment was a total failure, I do not expect them to hit back. And the Israel attack was so mild that Iran does not need to hit back to save face.

Exactly what I said would happen and what lots of defence analysts said. Israel got their man, Iran saved face with a pre agreed retaliation strike, and Israel pop off back at them to show they can.

Every time a bullet is fired some people get hysterical about WW3 but reality is nobody wants that and it's going to take a serious misstep to spark anything big.

neverdie

This is all for public viewing. What is happening in Gaza is something else completely. What is happening here is well within the normative (despite the rockets into Israel, which were surely known to be easily shot down by Iran) range of tit-for-tat. For now, anyway.

nickm

Exactly what I said would happen and what lots of defence analysts said. Israel got their man, Iran saved face with a pre agreed retaliation strike, and Israel pop off back at them to show they can.
Or possibly Israel is fundamentally undecided at the moment on their best response, and for now has decided to call.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Every time a bullet is fired some people get hysterical about WW3 but reality is nobody wants that and it's going to take a serious misstep to spark anything big.
Thanks to the sane few. It certainly is not Bibi, unless he has a crystal ball.

Bombing a consulate is an act of war. Someone somewhere told him to chill the feck out is my guess.

Bibi would love it to escalate and force the US to join the war

Smores

Thanks to the sane few. It certainly is not Bibi, unless he has a crystal ball.

Bombing a consulate is an act of war. Someone somewhere told him to chill the feck out is my guess.

Bibi would love it to escalate and force the US to join the war
Does it really serve him to start a full on war? I think this was more of a "let's remind them they're on our side" deal.

He got a distraction from their genocide and orchestrated the US and others to publicly side with Israel.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Does it really serve him to start a full on war? I think this was more of a "let's remind them they're on our side" deal.

He got a distraction from their genocide and orchestrated the US and others to publicly side with Israel.
From Israel perpective i guess a full out war between US and Iran is beneficial. He's been poking Iran quite hard with the consulate bombing

Amir

It made a lot of sense, but all that it takes is one miscalculation or a missile falling in the wrong place, and then who knows where it ends.

ManUtd1999

I don’t agree with this take.

It made a lot of sense, but all that it takes is one miscalculation or a missile falling in the wrong place, and then who knows where it ends.
Israel should stop behaving like a bully in the Middle East, attacking everyone and everywhere. I hear more and more people who are getting tired of this. I know that I am. A country of 10 million people shouldn’t keep putting the world on alert!

Hammas committed an atrocity in October and Israel failed that day to protect itself. That’s the reality that Israel should be dealing with: how to make sure that this doesn’t happen again, not attacking the whole world.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics

Nah this is theatre. A real Iranian attack would be far more meaningful, and so would a real Israeli attack on Iran. There are two countries who don't want to go to war. But the Damascus attack was very meaningful so Israel will score this as a win.

Amir

I don’t agree with this take.

Israel should stop behaving like a bully in the Middle East, attacking everyone and everywhere. I hear more and more people who are getting tired of this. I know that I am. A country of 10 million people shouldn’t keep putting the world on alert!

Hammas committed an atrocity in October and Israel failed that day to protect itself. That’s the reality that Israel should be dealing with: how to make sure that this doesn’t happen again, not attacking the whole world.
I'd like to agree, but it's a little too simplistic. Iran, for instance, has been arming Hezbollah for years and that's a major threat. Are we supposed to sit around wait and while the threat in the north becomes bigger and bigger?

Having said that, there's a difference between Israel attacking weapon convoys on their way to where ever and Israel just attacking prominent people. Which is what started this round.

nickm

Nah this is theatre. A real Iranian attack would be far more meaningful, and so would a real Israeli attack on Iran.
It was Iran's first ever direct attack on Israel. That seems pretty meaningful to me.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Fortunately the markets are also not buying continued escalation after all the pundits came out late last night said this may be the end of it. Futures were tanking and oil shot up for a while. Both have since reverted to yesterday's levels and the Vix is relatively stable.