Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This paragraph is very interesting.

There is also a deepening recognition in the IDF and at the political level, that the IDF has not done anything like this in decades, and that rushing in unprepared, simply to more quickly satisfy the wider population's thirst for retribution, could be a large mistake.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Hizballah have been building their strength since 2006, have proven themselves one of the most effective fighting forces in Syria, and could really do with reclaiming some of the pan-Islamic popularity they had before going all-in on behalf of Assad. I’m not sure if they’re going to go all-in here, but I’m wondering if this is not the right moment for them, with the IDF already engaged elsewhere, when is the right moment?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm still doubtful to be honest. Why would Hezbollah get involved, with what goal? They're not wiping out Israel with 2 American carrier strike groups nearby.

Saw another hypothesis that Hezbollah provides an umbrella for Palestinian fighters operating out of southern Lebanon.
I have no idea but it's the only thing that would justify telling people to leave Lebanon. Unless I'm ignoring something else?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I have no idea but it's the only thing that would justify telling people to leave Lebanon. Unless I'm ignoring something else?
Perhaps Canada is over-cautious. When we see a Ukraine-esque evacuation of many Western embassies, then I'd be more worried about Hezbollah's involvement.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Hizballah have been building their strength since 2006, have proven themselves one of the most effective fighting forces in Syria, and could really do with reclaiming some of the pan-Islamic popularity they had before going all-in on behalf of Assad. I’m not sure if they’re going to go all-in here, but I’m wondering if this is not the right moment for them, with the IDF already engaged elsewhere, when is the right moment?
Beyond IDF being stretched, I'm under the impression that people around the world have been exposed to larger issues including the repression and aggressions in the West Bank and the disastrous communication from the government and IDF. From an image standpoint Israel feels like an easier target this week more than ever which is weird when you consider that Hamas started the current development.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Ongoing concerns among Israeli's.

If there is one concern that I heard from soldiers and commanders in the convention grounds, it is not about a ground entrance but that Netanyahu will stop the IDF in the middle.

Crushing the military capabilities of Hamas may take a toll on international legitimacy as well. These are expensive prices, which we have to pay for our continued existence here
https://x.com/roysharon11/status/1714014819798376819?s=20

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Dunno why you’re interested in my thoughts?

The general vibe seems to be that protests supporting Palestine are being banned or suppressed? Which seems odd to me in the context of thousands of people peacefully protesting all over the world.

@The Corinthian was at one of those protests. I’m sure he would have mentioned if he had to run away from baton charges, or water cannons. Or maybe he just hasn’t got round to bringing that up?
Because (correct me if I'm wrong) you believe complaints about bias in the media towards Israel are overblown

These aren't isolated mistakes. There's a systemic pattern. That's the point of the article

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
This paragraph is very interesting.
There were quotes from an IDF soldier that implied similar earlier. They don’t fancy it on the ground in an urban environment. It’s a little bit late for that now though, as Netanyahu has already said they’re going in and he’d look comically weak if he went back on it

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Nope.
https://news.sky.com/story/israel-h...ges-of-paragliders-at-london-protest-12984919

It has everything to do with who supports Hamas though which is what we're talking about. Jeremy Corbyn.

It refers to the wiping out of Israel - which is now Hamas policy and their main point of difference with the Palestinian Authority, the successor to the P.L.O. from the 1960's. As long as people chant it they can't really complain if the Israelis decide to do the same thing back.

I guess you missed the paragliders then. Perhaps you see what suits you? I see two sets of extreme irreconcilable religious ideology. You seem to see only one.
So to be clear -

Your claim - protestors that were clear supporters of Hamas - there's no evidence.
Your point about Jeremy Corbyn again is irrelevant, unless you think he organised the protest, or people were protesting because JC told them to, or people were protesting for Hamas based on what JC had said about Hamas?

Please read up on the 'from the river to the sea' as you're just misinformed and repeating hasbara tropes. It has nothing to do with Hamas (your original point) and was used by Palestinians in the 1960s.
Did I miss the paragliders - 2 women in a group of 150,000? Yes, I most certainly did, and I'm sure another 149,998 most likely did too.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I had a quick look through the BBC coverage of the protests on their website. I can’t find a single article that describes them as anything other than pro-Palestine. If they really are intent on fooling the world into thinking the protests were specifically supporting Hamas they’re doing a very bad job at it.

I don’t know why or how that newsreader said what she did. Although I’d be fairly certain what she said would have been completely inconsequential and immediately forgotten about if it hadn’t been clipped and amplified on Twitter, kicking off a load of arguments about whether there might actually be some sort of tacit support for Hamas at these protests.
Well, what do you think it is -

Do you think a) you might possibly be wrong? or b) the MSM media which has to date told us babies have been beheaded (debunked), women raped (debunked), protestors being pro-Hamas (a lie that they've walked back on), misleading headlines, misleading photographs, parroting clearly debunked Israeli propaganda and minimising their own atrocities (see the Reuters incident) might be pro-Israeli in their reporting?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
So to be clear -

Your claim - protestors that were clear supporters of Hamas - there's no evidence.
Your point about Jeremy Corbyn again is irrelevant, unless you think he organised the protest, or people were protesting because JC told them to, or people were protesting for Hamas based on what JC had said about Hamas?

Please read up on the 'from the river to the sea' as you're just misinformed and repeating hasbara tropes. It has nothing to do with Hamas (your original point) and was used by Palestinians in the 1960s.
Did I miss the paragliders - 2 women in a group of 150,000? Yes, I most certainly did, and I'm sure another 149,998 most likely did too.
My suggestion is that quite a few people who support Hamas or their aims were there. The paraglider images support this. The fact that Jeremy Corbyn called Hamas his friends supports this. Chanting 'From the River to the Sea' reflects an extremist position that the P.L.O no longer supports - but Hamas does. You may not like it but the extremists are calling the shots on both sides.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Because (correct me if I'm wrong) you believe complaints about bias in the media towards Israel are overblown

These aren't isolated mistakes. There's a systemic pattern. That's the point of the article
You are wrong. I think complaints about bias in the BBC are overblown. It’s coverage is fairly balanced overall . I’m basing this on some fairly general recent skims through it while arguing the toss on here, general familiarity with it over the years and the weak (in my opinion) evidence being used as confirmation that it’s systemically biased in this thread.

I have absolutely no idea how balanced the media in general is being, as I’m not as immersed in it as many of you seem to be. It might well be outrageously pro-Israel. I don’t have the time or the energy to dig into it. I’m sure the coverage in the US is wild. What little I’ve seen of your mainstream news media has always been incredibly biased to one extreme or another.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-67119233

A spokeswoman for the UN Palestinian refugee agency, UNRWA, said 14 staff members, mainly teachers, have been killed and the number increases as Israeli airstrikes continue almost uninterrupted.
Rahaf, who is now in Khan Younis, said: "There is no clean water. There’s no water to even wash our faces. We’re all oppressed. We can’t endure this anymore."
She described seeing blood and bodies on the streets, and how she tries to calm her siblings when they hear explosions by telling them the sounds are from a “wedding ceremony”, that they are “normal”.

Doctors say they have almost nothing to give the stream of new casualties - water is rationed to 300ml (10fl oz) a day for patients.
Refugees get nothing.

I don't think we'll ever know what happened to the (minimum) ~10-20,000 about to die, since there will be no news allowed. Killed by dehydration or strikes or bullets, etc

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
It was a dark joke when somebody in this thread asked if this is talked about at work - I don't want to be fired in a day :lol:
So one of my colleagues at work was threatened with a disciplinary because he posted the Amnesty link saying Israel is an apartheid state on Linked In (he's actually on the site I posted above). It's a really fecked up situation we're in.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
You are wrong. I think complaints about bias in the BBC are overblown. It’s coverage is fairly balanced overall . I’m basing this on some fairly general recent skims through it while arguing the toss on here, general familiarity with it over the years and the weak (in my opinion) evidence being used as confirmation that it’s systemically biased in this thread.

I have absolutely no idea how balanced the media in general is being, as I’m not as immersed in it as many of you seem to be. It might well be outrageously pro-Israel. I don’t have the time or the energy to dig into it. I’m sure the coverage in the US is wild. What little I’ve seen of your mainstream news media has always been incredibly biased to one extreme or another.
I'm sure I've seen your posts argue otherwise in a thread - can't remember which one specifically, but it was talking about Laura Kuenssberg and her handling of Boris, the pandemic and the BBC chairman who donated like £600k to BoJo.

But fair enough - you think BBC is impartial.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
So one of my colleagues at work was threatened with a disciplinary because he posted the Amnesty link saying Israel is an apartheid state on Linked In (he's actually on the site I posted above). It's a really fecked up situation we're in.
How do you see it? When I open the link it's an empty page.

Anyways, all this talk of Hamas supporters at protests, does anyone check for anti-Arab chanting that happens in Pro-Israel demonstrations? I'm sure they don't obviously check and are instead fully focused on finding 1 or 2 amongst thousands at Pro-Palestinian protests.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
How do you see it? When I open the link it's an empty page.

Anyways, all this talk of Hamas supporters at protests, does anyone check for anti-Arab chanting that happens in Pro-Israel demonstrations? I'm sure they don't obviously check and are instead fully focused on finding 1 or 2 amongst thousands at Pro-Palestinian protests.
It was working for me earlier - it basically has a list of different organisations and names / Linked In pages of those individuals who have posted something pro-Palestinian.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
My suggestion is that quite a few people who support Hamas or their aims were there. The paraglider images support this. The fact that Jeremy Corbyn called Hamas his friends supports this. Chanting 'From the River to the Sea' reflects an extremist position that the P.L.O no longer supports - but Hamas does. You may not like it but the extremists are calling the shots on both sides.
There's two black women who have a pic of paragliders on their shoulder. You're basing your assertion on that.

Jeremy Corbyn has literally 0 relevance to the point you're making. Did Jeremy Corbyn calling Hamas friends lead to 150,000 being in support of Palestine?

From the River to the Sea is not an extremist position. It's not about Israel, it's about Palestinians being free from the river to the sea. You're just regurgitating hasbara misinformation and deflective nonsense.

Pogue Mahone

I'm sure I've seen your posts argue otherwise in a thread - can't remember which one specifically, but it was talking about Laura Kuenssberg and her handling of Boris, the pandemic and the BBC chairman who donated like £600k to BoJo.

But fair enough - you think BBC is impartial.
“Fairly balanced overall” was the phrase I used, to be precise. Certainly a hell of a lot more balanced than you’d think if you listened to the more hysterical critics on Twitter (and on here)

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
THIS IS THE ONLY SOURCE, SO TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

Seen this shared a lot since morning, but wanted to hold off on posting it till a different source posted it. So far, nothing. Which is why the disclaimer at the top. On the other hand, I saw at least a few Israelis (who should be able to detect a gross forgery, but probably not a sophisticated one) did retweet, so that gave it some percent more credibility.

I was confused about what she said about police, the reply I got was that maybe the kidnappers thought that the police would let them use the hostages as human shields, and so wanted them around, not the army, which would shoot both the hostages and Hamas (which is what this interview claims did happen)

It does suggest a very Russian attitude to hostages, and is line with this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal_Directive

glazed

There's two black women who have a pic of paragliders on their shoulder. You're basing your assertion on that.

Jeremy Corbyn has literally 0 relevance to the point you're making. Did Jeremy Corbyn calling Hamas friends lead to 150,000 being in support of Palestine?

From the River to the Sea is not an extremist position. It's not about Israel, it's about Palestinians being free from the river to the sea. You're just regurgitating hasbara misinformation and deflective nonsense.
Yes these two women supported Hamas. I don't suppose they were the only ones. Clearly not since Jeremy Corbyn was there.

What do you suppose 'Palestinians will be free from the river to the sea' means? It means the destruction of Israel. Just as 'greater Israel' means the ethnic cleansing of the Palestinians in the same area. Let's not pretend. How do you suppose either goal would be achieved without a huge level of violence of the kind we are now seeing on both sides? It can't.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
It was a dark joke when somebody in this thread asked if this is talked about at work - I don't want to be fired in a day :lol:
Speaking of work sackings

Steve Bell sacked by Guardian in antisemitism row over Netanyahu cartoon - BBC News

Long-serving Guardian cartoonist Steve Bell has been sacked by the newspaper in a row over a drawing he created of Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu.
The cartoon, featuring Netanyahu operating on his own stomach, showed a cut in the outline of the Gaza Strip.
Bell said the cartoon was spiked after a phone call from the paper suggested it may reference Shakespeare's Shylock's "pound of flesh" line.
Here's the cartoon in question in case anyone was wondering:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Speaking of work sackings

Steve Bell sacked by Guardian in antisemitism row over Netanyahu cartoon - BBC News

Here's the cartoon in question in case anyone was wondering:

Bell said he based his cartoon on this cartoon of LBJ from the 60s, which riffed off a picture of Johnson showing off an operation scar (the image on his body in the cartoon is South Vietnam):

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

E-mal

I have come to realise all lives are not equal, some lives are more equal than others. My biggest gripe is the fact the west are so scared to hold Israel accountable. Unconscionable how the world have allowed these injustice to fester. You can see how misguided youths can take to terrorism when they feel a sense of injustice.
I am still lost how Israel think they can achieve peace without addressing the Palestinian problem, perhaps the plan is to exterminate and send all Palestinians to the Sinai dessert or Jordan River.

Pogue Mahone

Bell said he based his cartoon on this cartoon of LBJ from the 60s, which riffed off a picture of Johnson showing off an operation scar (the image on his body in the cartoon is South Vietnam):

It does have a bit of a Shylock vibe until he gives it the LBJ context. Mad that they would press on with getting rid of him after he gave that explanation. They’re obviously crazy paranoid about publishing anything which might be perceived as antisemitic but apart from anything else you’d think he has a case for unfair dismissal? Or maybe that doesn’t apply if he’s just a contract worker?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Someone at my university lost her job offer.
This guy is/was the editor of a journal which he had taken in an innovative and unique direction. Pretty widely praised, or at least talked about changed to peer review and transparency.
He retweeted an Onion article, got dogpiled, left twitter, and is now under investigation from the journal.
There's some tech guy being hounded endlessly for absolutely baseline anodyne stuff.

And I remember half this forum was in favour of non-anonymous social media... Jose's "if i speak", unironically.

Seen this shared a lot since morning, but wanted to hold off on posting it till a different source posted it. So far, nothing.
Found a reply:

Could not find the website referred to, google translate wasn't very useful.

Roane

Interesting "debate" between Piers Morgan and Mohammed Hijab. On YouTube. Don't know how to embed

Pogue Mahone

Someone at my university lost her job offer.
This guy is/was the editor of a journal which he had taken in an innovative and unique direction. Pretty widely praised, or at least talked about changed to peer review and transparency.
He retweeted an Onion article, got dogpiled, left twitter, and is now under investigation from the journal.
There's some tech guy being hounded endlessly for absolutely baseline anodyne stuff.

And I remember half this forum was in favour of non-anonymous social media... Jose's "if i speak", unironically.

Found a reply:

Could not find the website referred to, google translate wasn't very useful.
That post is a little hard to follow. Someone is going to get sacked for retweeting an onion article? Seriously?!

Oh and “some tech guy” is a very well known (in Ireland) bell end conspiracy theorist with a huge fecking mouth and an ego the size of a planet.

glazed

Yea, I didn't think it was antisemitic anyway and that's despite not even seeing this pic of LBJ (thanks for sharing).

We're living in a time where the pro-Israelis will take any criticism coming their way, twist it to make it antisemitic, and tar it with that same brush.
Incredibly sketchy to sack him for that when the Rowson cartoon was so much worse. However Bell has got previous on this and has a bit of a Corbynista rep on Israel, so hard to feel too sorry for him. Hard to say this one was anti-Semitic though.

Reality is Guardian had basically already dropped him I think. They didn't sack him, they're just not renewing his contract.