Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
That there were apparently some people on the demonstration who specifically supported Hamas.
Which people? Do you have any evidence?
We saw the people with paraglider pictures.
Where? At the London protest? Or are you talking about the NYC BLM protest?
Jeremy Corbyn called Hamas his friends in the past.
This has nothing to do with the protest.
But anybody chanting 'From the River to the Sea' is more loosely effectively allying themselves with Hamas' overall goal which is the destruction of Israel, rather than a more moderate 2-state solution. And that was being chanted a lot. You can't destroy Israel without killing lots of Israelis after all.
Another lie it seems. The saying itself predates Hamas' creation, emerging in the 1960s.

But that does not mean the majority on the march took that view. We can't know that either way,
I was at the march - there was no Hamas flags, no pro-Hamas chanting, no glorifying terror. I know I didn't speak / see everything but it was a great show of solidarity for Palestine from all walks of life.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What an incredibly thick person.
Not thick, it's just they're saying the quiet part out loud more often now.

She's said this before for instance

“This land is ours. All of it is ours. We did not come here to apologise for that.”
Which if said by a Palestinian would undoubtedly be seen as calling for genocide but has become par for the course recently. Just people don't want to hear it.

Roane

Israel has dropped more bombs in Gaza in 6 days than what were dropped in Afghanistan over a year.

That's basically more bombs on a "postage stamp" compared to what was dropped in Iraq

Asking people to leave their homes and area is a war crime under international law

Roane

Israel has a top 10 army in the world, likely the best army in the Middle East (or at least the second best after Turkey) and by far the best Air Force in the Middle East (and maybe the second best overall after the US). They should be able to invade Gaza while fighting Hezbollah.

Just that it might be bloody for them considering that Gaza means urban warfare, while Hezbollah would fight a guerirà war. Both give significant advantage to the defenders.

Still, I think that if Hezbollah attacks in mass, Israel will occupy Southern Lebanon. Throw Syria in the combination, and Israel still wins. Of course, the more actors, the more damage to Israel, and consequently, the higher chance the US gets involved. And the more state getting involved means it becomes more unpredictable.
Israel's army is classed as 18th best.

Also the majority of its "points" are for the air force and basically the likes of Mossad

Israel's ground army is rubbish and amongst the worst trained. The reservists would get battered in a ground war and why Israel usually agrees terms before ground war takes place.

Also the Israeli populace has no stomach for a ground war and usually turn against the government when soldiers start getting killed.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Labour have cleared up the point that Israel should allow humanitarian aid etc.

Poor preparation and a gaffe more than anything
Do you think the unanimous international support that Israel got from the US, UK, and EU emboldened them to shut off water and electricity to the entire population?
Do you think this retroactive partial retreat means as much as the total initial support for mass starvation?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Gazan Airlift?

President of the European Commission saying she wants to create a "humanitarian air corridor" from Egypt to Gaza

The European Union will initiate a humanitarian air corridor to Gaza, president of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen announced on Monday.

"In the face of this horror Israel has the right to defend itself in line with humanitarian and international law," she says.

"And right now, Palestinians in Gaza are in need of humanitarian help and aid.

"They cannot pay the price of Hamas barbarism. And this is why the commission has announced to triple humanitarian aid for civilians in Gaza to €75 million ($79 million)."

The statement continues to say that the EU will be launching a "humanitarian air bridge to Gaza through Egypt".

It's not clear how exactly a humanitarian corridor might work

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The Netanyahu supporters are idiots, violent and totally incapable is accepting any sort of criticism against their **** leader.
Do you have any guesses about what the feeling is right now? Based on the replies to that tweet, it seems that those families wanted to (understandably) prioritise their family member hostages, while the others want more bombing (understandably, but less so, imo!).

I would guess there's pretty overwhelming support for general revenge, much more than a targeted campaign aimed at the hostages? But also that what those Bibi supporters did there isn't going to be popular (if it gets publicised)

Apologising and correcting their mistakes. The evil, biased bastards.
c'mon man. you are smart enough to know what the effect is.

Bert_

He's like this when he's asked about litterally anything. To scared to say anything in case the papers jump on him.

It's hard for the tablaoid rags to spin a neutral statement like "Israel has the right to defend itself within the confines of international law" so ewhy not just say that?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This morning I stumbled on this article and thought that some of the quotes were interesting.

"Hamas will want to exact the highest possible price for the release of the Israeli captives it is holding. Therefore, Israel's first and immediate task is to appoint someone who will deal exclusively with this matter, 24/7, a gentle person suitable for this challenge who will be dedicated full time.”
This, according to former Mossad director, Efraim Halevy, who spoke with IsraelDefense. Halevy spent many years dealing with the diplomatic aspects of Mossad's activities, representing the organization and the country in negotiations with various parties over the years.
A short time after speaking with Halevy, Prime Minister Netanyahu announced that he had appointed Lt. Col. (Res.) Gal Hirsch to handle the issue of the captives and the missing Israelis. It is estimated that Hamas is holding more than 100 Israelis. All government ministries will be subject to Hirsch's guidance on this matter.
"There have been reports of a proposal for the early release of women, the elderly, and children, but the Israeli government is not willing to negotiate with Hamas," says Halevy.
"With whom will Israel negotiate if not with Hamas? Refusing to negotiate means abandoning the lives of the captives. Even the worst government cannot avoid such negotiations. You need to talk to them and conclude the matter."
"Next on the agenda," says Ephraim Halevy, "is the establishment of a state commission of inquiry to investigate what happened starting Saturday. However, this is not an immediate matter; it should wait until the current events are concluded. After everything is over, there will be a need to clarify all the facts.

"You wake up on a Saturday morning and hear on the radio what has been happening in the south since the morning. It's been 50 years since the Yom Kippur War. At that time, I was the Mossad representative in Washington. I received warning signs of war ten days before it broke out; I passed it on to the necessary parties, and we all know the rest.
"I don't know how to explain what happened this week. I am not familiar with the facts, and I was not involved in any classified information, so I will not express an opinion on what happened at this stage."

E-mal

With the hope of not getting antisemitic( because that is what they call everyone who is antizionist, anti-colonialist and anti-apartheid), I believe it is cowardice to continue to be inhumane for 75 years especially when Israelis themselves know what being suppressed feels like. Without the help of Washington, this wicked Israeli regime would not dare to continue this inhumane acts on their neighbours.
Rightfully the actions of Hamas is barbaric but to sit there and assume that this conflict started last weekend is burying ones' head in the sand. America has continued to show how partial they are, one will not be wrong to conclude that they are complicit in this genocide. It is a disgrace how the international community has turned its blind eye on Palestinians. What makes Ukrainian/Israeli lives better than that of Palestinians?
What I have learnt from all this is that one's life is not worth much if you don't have have blonde hair and blue eyes. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired of this injustice and the distortion of the truth by the main stream media.

Amir

Do you have any guesses about what the feeling is right now? Based on the replies to that tweet, it seems that those families wanted to (understandably) prioritise their family member hostages, while the others want more bombing (understandably, but less so, imo!).
The families want to be heard. The treatment of them has been terrible. It took many days for govenment officials to have any contact with them. It took Netanyahu nine days to meet with their representatives (and turn it into a political set-up).

Yes, of course they want the hostages to be prioritised as well. As for the others - the people who attacked them, etc - it's not about what the govenment does. Those bastards see anyone who criticises Netanyahu or oppose him in any way as enemies.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Which people? Do you have any evidence?

Where? At the London protest? Or are you talking about the NYC BLM protest?
Nope.
https://news.sky.com/story/israel-h...ges-of-paragliders-at-london-protest-12984919

This has nothing to do with the protest.
It has everything to do with who supports Hamas though which is what we're talking about. Jeremy Corbyn.

Another lie it seems. The saying itself predates Hamas' creation, emerging in the 1960s.
It refers to the wiping out of Israel - which is now Hamas policy and their main point of difference with the Palestinian Authority, the successor to the P.L.O. from the 1960's. As long as people chant it they can't really complain if the Israelis decide to do the same thing back.

I was at the march - there was no Hamas flags, no pro-Hamas chanting, no glorifying terror. I know I didn't speak / see everything but it was a great show of solidarity for Palestine from all walks of life.
I guess you missed the paragliders then. Perhaps you see what suits you? I see two sets of extreme irreconcilable religious ideology. You seem to see only one.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Oh look, Israel's 'collateral' damage, bombing rescue teams working on a site already bombed. What makes so much more mad at this situation are the p*ssy Western nations looking at all this as still continuing to defend Israel, and then act holier than thou when it comes to criticizing Muslim countries and their human rights record, also being appalled when we don't buy into their BS.

Today Bayern also said they will speak to Mazroui because he put out a statement supporting Palestine. Seriously, f*CK them, they were trying to act like they care about human rights when it came to Qatar.

No one in the West gives a damn about human rights, it's only power and money they care of and are very willing to look the other way when it favours either of that.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm sure you understand what the original report does, though.
In the grand scheme of things, not much? Was it even part of one of their main news shows? Or a clip from their 24 hour news channel? Just seems mad to me that tiny snippets like that would be in any way influential. Obviously whipping up a Twitter frenzy around the clip will expose a lot more people to it but that’s a separate issue.

JPRouve

Scout

Oh look, Israel's 'collateral' damage, bombing rescue teams working on a site already bombed. What makes so much more mad at this situation are the p*ssy Western nations looking at all this as still continuing to defend Israel, and then act holier than thou when it comes to criticizing Muslim countries and their human rights record, also being appalled when we don't buy into their BS.

Today Bayern also said they will speak to Mazroui because he put out a statement calling out Israel. Seriously, f*CK them, they were trying to act like they care about human rights when it came to Qatar.

No one in the West gives a damn about human rights, it's only power and money they care of and are very willing to look the other way when it favours either of that.
Disclaimer: I'm a cnut.

I laughed at that one. I find their precision comical.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dunno why you’re interested in my thoughts?

The general vibe seems to be that protests supporting Palestine are being banned or suppressed? Which seems odd to me in the context of thousands of people peacefully protesting all over the world.

@The Corinthian was at one of those protests. I’m sure he would have mentioned if he had to run away from baton charges, or water cannons. Or maybe he just hasn’t got round to bringing that up?

JPRouve

Scout

The general vibe seems to be that protests supporting Palestine are being banned or suppressed? Which seems odd to me in the context of thousands of people peacefully protesting all over the world.

@The Corinthian was at one of those protests. I’m sure he would have mentioned if he had to run away from baton charges, or water cannons. Or maybe he just hasn’t got round to bringing that up?
I have heard of a fair amount being banned. Some that you see in France were banned, people still went and protested peacefully. In fact our cnut of interior minister congratulated the police for arresting organizers and somme journalists.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

No, that's not the "general vibe" of the article, which (especially in the context of the posts before) goes into some detail about the media reaction. Which, the article suggests, is a bigger problem than "tiny snippets from a news show".

JPRouve

Scout
Canada has urged its citizens to leave Lebanon. I would imagine other countries will follow.
So we expect Hezbollah to get heavily involved in the coming days, following iranian remarks?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So we expect Hezbollah to get heavily involved in the coming days, following iranian remarks?
I'm still doubtful to be honest. Why would Hezbollah get involved, with what goal? They're not wiping out Israel with 2 American carrier strike groups nearby.

Saw another hypothesis that Hezbollah provides an umbrella for Palestinian fighters operating out of southern Lebanon.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its sort of why Hezbollah exists, so I would imagine the Iranians will use them to open up a 2nd front once the Israelis start the ground war.