Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There's a longer video here (very repetitive). You can see the driver reversing away from what seems to be a pursuing crowd. He crashes into the car behind him, then accelerates forward into the crowd that were chasing him. He then crashes into the car in front and the crowd drag him out:

Thanks. Still none the wiser about why he was singled out. If what @sun_tzu found out about yellow plates is right there’s at least one other Palestinian car there which went completely unmolested.

I guess that’s a moot point. There really isn’t any justification for what happened. Horribly reminiscent of similar scenes at a funeral in Northern Ireland in the late 80s, with a worse outcome :(

EDIT: Got that wrong. Yellow plates = Israeli. Which explains why the other car wasn’t touched. I guess they found another way to single him out as an Arab.

Last edited:

ZupZup

I'm not. I'm simply wondering what Hamas would do with more sophisticated weaponry, and how it would be justified here right now,

I mean... in a hypothetical situation where Hamas had equal military power with Israel, I suspect you wouldn’t have Israeli forces attacking a mosque, or turfing Palestinian families out of their homes.

Bullies tend to pick on easy targets... not someone who can hurt them back.

vidic blood & sand

Youve spent your whole time on this thread questioning the behaviour of the Palestinians. You're an Israel apologist.

I'm sure you'd have said Britain was in the wrong for trying to defend Europe against the Germans.
Not true.

I was confused yesterday why there was little sympathy here for Israel when hundreds of missiles had been fired at Tel-Aviv. Now that over a thousand missiles have been launched at Israel, there is nothing but hatred towards Israel here because they're retaliating.
Am I missing something?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I mean... in a hypothetical situation where Hamas had equal military power with Israel, I suspect you wouldn’t have Israeli forces attacking a mosque, or turfing Palestinian families out of their homes.

No... but considering hamas don't recognise Israels right to exist if they had nukes etc they would presumably destroy them.

vidic blood & sand

Would someone intentionally pick a fight with a bully?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
As a matter of interest, has it been noted by anyone here that over a thousand missiles have been launched at Israel in the last few days, with the intent of killing as many people as possible?
Yeah it has. It's also been referenced by you to try and divert attention away and excuse some of the atrocities that have been commited, especially in the last few days.

I've been avoiding posting in this thread primarily because I don't know nearly enough about the situation to pass any form of judgement on it and would probably derail the thread for the people who have a modicum of understanding and are engaging in, for the most part, effective dialogue. I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned there for you as well but you'll probably just reply with "Oh, didn't answer my question did ya?!" Before high fiving yourself in the mirror and smelling your farts.

Oo0AahCantona

Is there a reason the Arab nations don't support the Palestinians with firepower? Israel is in the surrounded by Muslim countries but the Palestinians don't seem to have any support.
My history could be wildly wrong here but they were supported in the first few wars by arab states, but i believe Egypt and others recognise israel now? after getting hammered a few times and as part of armistaces. Gaza, Where the violent wings of Palestinian resistance are based (hamas) is pretty much completely blockaded so getting weapons in is tricky, which is why all they can do is essentially fire out missiles that are 20 years old and 95% of them get shot down or miss wildly.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What about the likes of the Saudis? They are RICH, also supported by the west with weapons supply.
Saudi are too busy getting whooped in Yemen at the moment and I don't think they have the military capability to project significant military power away from their borders anyway.

The Israeli armed forces are also essentially an MEDC armed forces. It would be a bit like plonking the British or French armed forces there and asking why the Arabs don't attack. It would be fruitless, as the Arabs have found out to their cost again and again over the past 70 years.

Moreover, there is an attitude (at least amongst some Egyptians I know) that Egypt for instance has fought for and suffered for Palestine enough and they can't risk land/Egyptians lives again.

Finally, while the pan Arab ideology was seemingly more important in the last century, Arab politics is now much more dominated by issues like Iran and subjecting your own population under the umbrella term of terrorism.

Roane

My history could be wildly wrong here but they were supported in the first few wars by arab states, but i believe Egypt and others recognise israel now? after getting hammered a few times and as part of armistaces. Gaza, Where the violent wings of Palestinian resistance are based (hamas) is pretty much completely blockaded so getting weapons in is tricky, which is why all they can do is essentially fire out missiles that are 20 years old and 95% of them get shot down or miss wildly.
Egypt is/was the second most funded country after Israel, by the USA.

The funds are there to ensure Israel is "protected".

Suv666

Right wing governments always feck shit up everywhere on the planet. Conservatism is a disease.

vidic blood & sand

You can see what Israel are doing with theirs. What point are you trying to make?
Hamas do not acknowledge the Israeli government as a legitimate government, and the Palestinians in Gaza are led by a Hamas regime that have fired over a thousand missiles at Israel over the last 48 hours.
Thank goodness these rockets are pretty naff, and the casualties are not as high as they could be. What if the weaponry was more sophisticated, and Israeli casualties were high? What harm does Hamas have to inflict on Israel before retaliation is justified by people here?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Hamas do not acknowledge the Israeli government as a legitimate government, and the Palestinians in Gaza are led by a Hamas regime that have fired over a thousand missiles at Israel over the last 48 hours.
Thank goodness these rockets are pretty naff, and the casualties are not as high as they could be. What if the weaponry was more sophisticated, and Israeli casualties were high? What harm does Hamas have to inflict on Israel before retaliation is justified by people here?
Why does Hamas fire rockets at Israel? Aren't Hamas "retaliating" against Israeli provocations?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
When’s the last time governmental buildings were targeted in Gaza?

Well, the IDF usually target hospitals and schools then either say it was an accident or that Hamas were using them as a base.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just stumbled on this guy an hour ago. No clue how credible he is, but he seems to get video / news out pretty quickly in a balanced manner...

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Yep, and that’s been made pretty clear in this thread but that poster continuously beats the same drum.
He's either trolling or just extremely biased, no point engaging with him.

vidic blood & sand

Why does Hamas fire rockets at Israel? Aren't Hamas "retaliating" against Israeli provocations?
Very good question.
Or is it the other way around?

Israel trying to target aggressors = bad?
Hamas wanting to kill as many Israelis as possible with rockets = not relevant?

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
This has much in common to the absolute horrors the Irish suffered during the 20s, and the 70s. A colonial power using the extremists they made "necessary" to commit ridiculously lopsided violence against an innocent population.

The fear these people must be feeling is horrifying. All we can hope for is that this time the world responds with more more empty rhetoric.

Severe sanctions need to be placed against Israel, but just like Saudi Arabia, they won't face consequences for their actions and will continue to brutalise their neighbors.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Harm to Israeli people before retaliation is justifiable? Can you not see actual reality? One where the absolute opposite is true, where all the weapons are with Israel who use to it to massacre Palestinians?

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Very good question.
Or is it the other way around?

Israel trying to target aggressors = bad?
Hamas wanting to kill as many Israelis as possible with rockets = not relevant?
There is absolutely nobody on here defending Hamas. That's the difference.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Has this civil war thing with mobs roaming the streets and beating up anyone from “the other side” happened during similar unrest before? Hamas rockets and over the top Israeli retaliation is all very familiar but the mob violence seems unusual (and particularly horrible)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Has this civil war thing with mobs roaming the streets and beating up anyone from “the other side” happened during similar unrest before? Hamas rockets and over the top Israeli retaliation is all very familiar but the mob violence seems unusual (and particularly horrible)
It does feel like a new low, but my knowledge on this topic is limited mind.

Foxbatt

Do hamas accept Israels right to exist?... I know the plo do now but have hamas?
[/Q
Yes the new one does.accept Palestine in the occupied territories but they do not accept Israel. They will become irrelevant if a State of Palestine is created and have someone else than Abu Mazin as the Head.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Is this a statement of intent? Or does such happen with regularity in events like this?
It happens fairly regularly, too often for it to be coincidence or an accident (in my opinion).

You may remember 4 boys were killed playing football on a beach in Gaza in 2014 by IDF strikes. That was an ‘accident’. That same offensive they regularly targeted hospitals saying that Hamas were using them as a base…which was a bold lie.