Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Has this civil war thing with mobs roaming the streets and beating up anyone from “the other side” happened during similar unrest before? Hamas rockets and over the top Israeli retaliation is all very familiar but the mob violence seems unusual (and particularly horrible)
I think this is new and the result of a swing to the hard right in Israeli politics.

Foxbatt

You’re correct about wanting Armageddon... but they still support the State of Israel.

Source: I live among them and was raised in an evangelical church
why do they support Israel? don't they want Jesus to conquer everything?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It happens fairly regularly, too often for it to be coincidence or an accident (in my opinion).

You may remember 4 boys were killed playing football on a beach in Gaza in 2014 by IDF strikes. That was an ‘accident’. That same offensive they regularly targeted hospitals saying that Hamas were using them as a base…which was a bold lie.
I get all that. But, targeting governmental buildings seems a certain statement of intent or a shift in strategy. I don’t think that anyone is referring to the strike on the finance building as an accident.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just like everywhere else in the world. What the feck is happening to us?!
I can sort of see why it happened in the West due to income equality rising and cost of living rising while wages aren't catching up. Globalization hasn't helped everyone.

I don't know about Israeli right wing politics though or why Brazil elected Bolsonaro.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Has this civil war thing with mobs roaming the streets and beating up anyone from “the other side” happened during similar unrest before? Hamas rockets and over the top Israeli retaliation is all very familiar but the mob violence seems unusual (and particularly horrible)
It’s extremely unusual within Israel ‘proper’, despite regular tensions. However it has occurred in the context of the two intifadas. It is a sign that the country is falling apart IMO, although I hope I’m being dramatic. Right now though there are just too many potential fronts of confrontation and no leadership.

I’m just waiting for Hezbollah to lob a few rockets over.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Has this been good for Netanyahu personally? Distractions from his personal trials, scandals, whatever?

MDFC Manager

What about the likes of the Saudis? They are RICH, also supported by the west with weapons supply.
Saudis and UAE together with all their might couldn't subdue a small militia group in Yemen. They'll get literally kicked to the kerbs by Israel.

Decades ago, despots like Saddam or Gaddafi may have fared slightly better, I guess.

vidic blood & sand

This guy is a troll and will only derail.
Like the brexit thread I'm quite happy to go if required, but I'm surprised I'm considered a troll for pointing out that over a thousand rockets have been fired at Israel, and that this seems to be disregarded here as irrelevant because the missiles are pretty useless, in spite of the intent. Israel obviously have to deal with this threat, but any action is condemned, yes?

Sara125

It's not that simple. Not all Palestinians are Muslims. There are a lot of christians on the Palestinian side. Just because they have Arabic names doesn't mean they are Muslims.
My point was literally that it’s not about religion sorry I should have worded that better

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Like the brexit thread I'm quite happy to go if required, but I'm surprised I'm considered a troll for pointing out that over a thousand rockets have been fired at Israel, and that this seems to be disregarded here as irrelevant because the missiles are pretty useless.
Israel obviously have to deal with this threat, but any action is condemned, yes?
You don't respond to any points made against you but repeat the same old like the inadequate thing you are.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Like the brexit thread I'm quite happy to go if required, but I'm surprised I'm considered a troll for pointing out that over a thousand rockets have been fired at Israel, and that this seems to be disregarded here as irrelevant because the missiles are pretty useless.
Israel obviously have to deal with this threat, but any action is condemned, yes?
Just curious, what would you like the Palestinians to do? How should they protect themselves in your opinion?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Just like everywhere else in the world. What the feck is happening to us?!
Too much progress in so many areas. Not just socially, where some kinds of progress cause discomfort as we've seen last year but also in technology, which has really given people who hold these views a chance to congregate and reinforce their shared values. This gives them confidence to be more open with it and the shocking scenes we've witnessed across the world the last 15 months or so are the result.

Foxbatt

That's ok, I just wanted to make it plain that the below quote is completely inaccurate.
It is correct in the aspect what we were discussing with Carolina Red. He corrected me. You have no idea what we were discussing from what you are commenting.

IhabX7

Thanks. Still none the wiser about why he was singled out. If what @sun_tzu found out about yellow plates is right there’s at least one other Palestinian car there which went completely unmolested.

I guess that’s a moot point. There really isn’t any justification for what happened. Horribly reminiscent of similar scenes at a funeral in Northern Ireland in the late 80s, with a worse outcome :(

EDIT: Got that wrong. Yellow plates = Israeli. Which explains why the other car wasn’t touched. I guess they found another way to single him out as Palestinian/Muslim.
All of them are Israeli citizens. Including the Arab driver. They could have singled him out by looks.
This is the poor guy.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/COyMMwHnefj/?igshid=9olf1hhzfshc

Oo0AahCantona

Hamas do not acknowledge the Israeli government as a legitimate government, and the Palestinians in Gaza are led by a Hamas regime that have fired over a thousand missiles at Israel over the last 48 hours.
Thank goodness these rockets are pretty naff, and the casualties are not as high as they could be. What if the weaponry was more sophisticated, and Israeli casualties were high? What harm does Hamas have to inflict on Israel before retaliation is justified by people here?
Taking the question in good faith It would have to match or exceed what the IDF are doing to Palestinians and they would have to be a serious threat, because right now, the status quo is such that for the last half a century the injustices are almost universally one sided. The conflict as a whole is completely fecked, and nobody comes off well, the british included. But this isn't a situation where you can pull the "both sides" card in my opinion, political violence and war are a shit reality of the world until we get to some post scarcity utopia, every change in our history has come about as a result of it, and not all forms are equivalent. Hamas firing rockets and killing the occasional Israeli civilian is terrible, and you can argue quite well, that its not effective and counter intuitive, but the burden of that retaliation doesn't solely rest on Palestinians in gaza, what are they supposed to do they've tried everything else for decades? It's also clearly not a credible threat, its a cry for attention, Missiles that actually get through are incredibly rare and they get pinged out of the sky almost immediately.

Foxbatt

Saudis and UAE together with all their might couldn't subdue a small militia group in Yemen. They'll get literally kicked to the kerbs by Israel.

Decades ago, despots like Saddam or Gaddafi may have fared slightly better, I guess.
Plus they do not like the Palestinians and the Jordanians.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Has this been good for Netanyahu personally? Distractions from his personal trials, scandals, whatever?
Post from Reddit:

Within a week Netanyahu goes on trial for corruption while a political rival is given the opportunity to form a new government possibly replacing him as prime minister, and then like clockwork we get an attack during Ramadan on one of Islams holiest sites leading to this very obvious series of counter attacks. And now Netanyahu is a prime minister in war time and all the news of his corruption trial is off the front pages, seems a little suspicious to me.

vidic blood & sand

Just curious, what would you like the Palestinians to do? How should they protect themselves in your opinion?
Protect themselves from what exactly?
If you throw a brick over your neighbor's fence, the chances are you'll get a knock at the door, or maybe more than that.
What if Hamas accepted Israel as a legitimate sate, and desired to be peaceful neighbors? Now there's a radical idea.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
You'd think that would be true but I'm often left wondering how it can be the case. This violence isn't exactly occurring spontaneously, it has indirect support.

I don't think that's unique to Israelis though as it seems most countries have a sizeable population with the worst intentions these days. Even if its masked under the normality of getting on with life.
I have met very few true "Israelis" whatever that is but plenty of Jews who live in NYC and have a second home in Israel. The one's I meet are against all the treatment of Palestinians. Small sample size but in my social circle would be tough to find a jewish person who actively support Israel in its treatment of Palestine.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Like the brexit thread I'm quite happy to go if required, but I'm surprised I'm considered a troll for pointing out that over a thousand rockets have been fired at Israel, and that this seems to be disregarded here as irrelevant because the missiles are pretty useless, in spite of the intent. Israel obviously have to deal with this threat, but any action is condemned, yes?
So the missiles are pretty useless now?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I edited it, within seconds, which shows a regard for the decorum here.

But ok, I'ma leave.

Apologies to the forum.
Speaking from an objective viewer stance, it’s been interesting today on my day off to read this thread & see the different sides. Would hate to see someone who is contributing their experience get kicked off for name calling.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Deery

Dreary
If you throw a brick over your neighbor's fence, the chances are you'll get a knock at the door, or maybe more than that.
What if Hamas accepted Israel as a legitimate sate, and desired to be peaceful neighbors? Now there's a radical idea.
What if you went round and bulldozed your neighbours house to the ground what would you get?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Protect themselves from being evicted?