Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

See the whole thread.
Good thread. Sadly nothing can be done till the Republican dictator and his lying press secretaries are out, and we get a Democrat in the White House :(
It's existential matters like this that make it so important to vote this November!

Idxomer

They should make a film and call it "3 war criminals and a genocide".

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Good thread. Sadly nothing can be done till the Republican dictator and his lying press secretaries are out, and we get a Democrat in the White House :(
It's existential matters like this that make it so important to vote this November!
I'm sure once Trump loses the election and this existential matter is defused once and for all, it will finally be acceptable to hold Democrats accountable.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

ManUtd1999

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Good. Despite its deficiencies, France remains the most sane leading western nation.
Ireland is still the bust but yea, France (and I think Belgium as well) have been fairly vocal in calling Israel out after going through the whole charade of ‘Israel has a right to defend itself’ bullshit. There was also a French foreign ministry employee who was killed by Israelis in December which may have had some impact.

Spain and Portugal have also upped their funding to UNRWA since the whole debacle. So there’s a smallish but growing group of Western nations turning the tide.

ManUtd1999

Ireland is still the bust but yea, France (and I think Belgium as well) have been fairly vocal in calling Israel out after going through the whole charade of ‘Israel has a right to defend itself’ bullshit. There was also a French foreign ministry employee who was killed by Israelis in December which may have had some impact.

Spain and Portugal have also upped their funding to UNRWA since the whole debacle. So there’s a smallish but growing group of Western nations turning the tide.
Good summary. I look forward to seeing what they do next. You can’t talk about human rights while completely ignoring what’s happening in Gaza. Kids are dying of starvation… in 2024. Speaking up against this is the least that you expect from countries that think of themselves as protectors of human rights. France has championed that since 1789.

Dominique de Villepin keeps talking about this issue. He has been right from Day One, just like he was right about the stupidity of going to Iraq in 2003 (I just re-watched his address back then at the UN).

johnnyteutonic

It's worse than Russia, just has the US defending it, for now...
Yes, everyone has been telling me this.
I've explained I have some familial and emotional connections to Israel (and once lived there for a year as a teenager), so I've had a hard time trying to reconcile my own personal feelings about Israel with the 'facts on the ground' regarding just how bad the state of Israel truly is.

johnnyteutonic

NY Times's interview with released Israeli hostage who claims to have been sexually assaulted whilst in captivity

Mods, it's pay-walled, so hopefully it's okay to link a version for those who can't access the full article?
Found below:

https://archive.is/u6lql

For the record, for those who remember the the NY Times article "Screams without Words" which had serious issues regarding failing to meet editorial standards by using dubious sources, be mindful these are different journalists who have published this story and it is a first-hand account.

I also read some earlier stories that members of the I.D.F. committed acts of sexual assault and rape upon female Gazan detainees, which is egregious and definitely constitutes a war crime.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The crisis that could bring down Benjamin Netanyahu, explained

This Sunday, Israel is scheduled for a political crisis.

At midnight Israel time on April 1, the government will hit a deadline for changing its policy on the military draft. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) will then be required to send conscription notices to roughly 66,000 ultra-Orthodox men, who had been previously exempted by a law carving out special privileges for students at religious academies, or yeshivot.
https://www.vox.com/politics/24114496/benjamin-netanyahu-ultra-orthodox-conscription-coalition-gaza

Giggsyking

"It should be like Nagasaki and Hiroshima"
I can not see his face. But I would not be surprised of comments like this.

Giggsyking

"Three United Nations military observers and a Lebanese translator were wounded while patrolling the border in southern Lebanon when a shell exploded near them, the UN peacekeeping mission said"

Giggsyking

Israeli government threatening the hostages families if they protest their family hostages would be placed down in the list of release negotiations.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
The UK government has known it was from before Oct 7th. The reason it’s coming to light now is because there is growing international pressure and the UK are trying to save face.

Idxomer

I prefer it when they say exactly what they think, not this wishy-washy nonsense.