Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
People will use this attack to justify Israel killing a lot of innocent people in revenge but at the same time find it deplorable that a group of people subjugated to the same violence for decades on end killed innocent people in revenge themselves.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Recruiting won't matter if they don't exist anymore, which is the likeliest of results going forward. They may have hoped to use the Al-Qaeda style attack into Israel to help their cause, but it wouldn't count for much if Hamas ceases to exist and Gaza is reoccupied by Israel.
Sure, it will all be over by Christmas.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They can't do it forever. If they reoccupy, they will leave at some stage.
They don't ever have to leave. This is especially true given that they left last time as a good will gesture towards the peace process and this is what they got in return.

I think a lot of people are misunderestimating the events of hte past couple of days as the latest in a long line of flare ups or clashes between both sides that will eventually stablize back to business as usual, when in fact this was literally Israel's 9/11 (or Pearl Harbor) which has totally changed the calculus of the Israeli-Palestinian issue going forward.

owlo

Sure you are. War is harder than killing teenagers at concerts.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Israel should never have been created there in 48. It has been trouble ever since. What Hamas did was disgusting, disturbing and borderline terrorism. Then again, they are living in conditions you cant imagine created by the Israelian government. They have been blocked off, given little to no water at times and very limited resources. The whole thing is a clusterfeck and it has been a clusterfeck since 1948
Nah, this is simply a well planned & executed terror attack that was extremely miscalculated by Hamas.

Unfortunately it will be rank & file citizenry in Gaza who pay the most, not Hamas, especially the hierarchy.

neverdie

They don't ever have to leave. This is especially true given that they left last time as a good will gesture towards the peace process and this is what they got in return.
We never do agree on this, but they left the last time because the intifada had come to a close with the factions, hezbollah in the north, actually making rare progress and general tiredness of policing Gaza. There was no peace process in 2005-06 as the US was in Iraq and Palestinian statehood was the last thing on their mind which gave Israel impunity over the next ten or so years. Build a wall and then we don't have to risk policing them (being the internal Israeli thought-process).

Try policing 2 million impoverished people who have grown up in a prison environment surrounded by freedom fighters/(slash) terrorists who despise you because you are the ones who keep them there. That's a near impossible task. Israel will become as North Korea, in the wider world, if it has to stay in Gaza for a protracted period because you already know how heavy the casualities, on a daily basis, are going to be.

when in fact this was literally Israel's 9/11 (or Pearl Harbor) which has totally changed the calculus of the Israeli-Palestinian issue going forward.
Future of the region tells me it won't matter if it was Israel's 9/11 when it all becomes much worse in the weeks/months to come.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is on BBC's live feed right now:

• About 900 people have been killed in Israel since Saturday's surprise attack, including 260 people massacred by Hamas gunmen at a music festival
  • Since Israel began striking Gaza in response, nearly 600 people have died

Most recent full update on live feed I could find. This one really does feel like people looking for things to be offended about. Which is something I know you take exception to whenever almost any other controversial topic is discussed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We never do agree on this, but they left the last time because the intifada had come to a close with the factions, hezbollah in the north, actually making rare progress and general tiredness of policing Gaza. There was no peace process in 2005-06 as the US was in Iraq and Palestinian statehood was the last thing on their mind which gave Israel impunity over the next ten or so years.

Try policing 2 million impoverished people who have grown up in a prison environment surrounded by freedom fighters/(slash) terrorists who despise you because you are the ones who keep them there. That's a near impossible task.

Future of the region tells me it won't matter if it was Israel's 9/11 when it all becomes much worse in the weeks/months to come.
Its not impossible at all. Sadr City Iraq is a good example. Its far more densely populated than Gaza and was policed by locals with oversight from outside forces. There were terrorist attacks from time to time, but otherwise people went about their own business.

neverdie

Its not impossible at all. Sadr City Iraq is a good example. Its far more densely populated than Gaza and was policed by locals with oversight from outside forces. There were terrorist attacks from time to time, but otherwise people went about their own business.
Yeah, but Hamas are the "locals" (with IJ running them second). That vacuum, if it arises, will be filled.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
People will use this attack to justify Israel killing a lot of innocent people in revenge but at the same time find it deplorable that a group of people subjugated to the same violence for decades on end killed innocent people in revenge themselves.
The reality is most people invested in the subject don't care, as long as its the other side. That goes for both pro Palestine and pro Israeli. People meme about both sidesing, but they both do terrible things (although this latest attack has to rank as the worst single event).

It shouldn't be so hard to acknowledge that yes, actually mass murder and rape of civilians is a terrible thing, regardless of who's doing it. But that's tribalism for you. Unfortunately civilians in Gaza will no doubt suffer horrifically for this attack, and suddenly those who've found a way to excuse (or in many cases, even celebrate) this attack will suddenly find whatever comes to pass in Gaza a abhorent war crime, and likewise there'll be plenty who view this as a horrific crime against humanity who will not care, or even gladly support what is going to happen in Gaza.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

The horror the world has towards Putin and Russia but Israel are let off constantly?
That is how geopolitics and public opinion works with powerful countries. You create two buckets "With us" and "Against us" and put countries and people in those buckets. Occasionally some countries move from one bucket to another.
Russia is clearly in the "Against us" bucket and has been there for decades.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Most recent full update on live feed I could find. This one really does feel like people looking for things to be offended about. Which is something I know you take exception to whenever almost any other controversial topic is discussed.
As I suspected, it's because you're on BBC.com. The UK live feed still has Palestinians just dying rather being killed.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

It's still showing the former on my live feed - perhaps it's a UK - Irish thing on BBC.

And the one sided reporting of this conflict has long been a bug bear of mine - this isn't the only example. A Canadian news channel (CNBC?) had something similar earlier today.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
As I suspected, it's because you're on BBC.com. The UK live feed still has Palestinians just dying rather being killed.
Ah. Ok. I’m sure it’s just something typed without much thought by one person. It’s obviously no reflection of an official bbc stance, or it would be on every feed. So doesn’t make sense to assume any malice or systemic bias.

Dobba

Ah. Ok. I’m sure it’s just something typed without much thought by one person. It’s obviously no reflection of an official bbc stance, or it would be on every feed. So doesn’t make sense to assume any malice or systemic bias.
Ah, the glorious paradox of what passes for British journalism. Simultaneously the envy of the world for their endless quest to hold truth to power and feckless GCSE students who don't understand how words work.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ah, the glorious paradox of what passes for British journalism. Simultaneously the envy of the world for their endless quest to hold truth to power and feckless GCSE students who don't understand how words work.
Em. Ok?

To me it seems mad that anyone can read the BBC coverage of these events and think it’s biased. Although that would involve more than seeking out phrases to retweet and take offence at and involve the much more boring task of actually reading the coverage.

owlo

Am I missing irony here? This is so wrong.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona

Sure you are. War is harder than killing teenagers at concerts.
Sneaking at night into the country killing celebrating teenagers is a great success for brave warriors! Let's see part 2 of their plan, when hundreds of thousands angry Israeli troops entering Gaza.

Last edited:

neverdie

"target Assad if Hezbollah joins"

They've been doing that for years anyway. Literally occupying various parts of Syria in limited military engagements with US (whose engagements are protracted). Don't think Hezbollah cares.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
1500 deaths and counting. Too terrible to even comprehend fully really
It will get far worse. There are about 2-3 days of water and gas left inside Gaza now. Once that runs out and the Israelis go in, things will quickly go south even further.

Dobba

Em. Ok?

To me it seems mad that anyone can read the BBC coverage of these events and think it’s biased. Although that would involve more than seeking out phrases to retweet and take offence at and involve the much more boring task of actually reading the coverage.
'Seeking out' being reading the BBC's own Twitter account, for those keeping score.

Or indeed watching their TV news coverage.

This one employee, who doesn't reflect an official BBC stance, has had a busy day manning the Twitter feeds, official website and putting together the content for their teleprompters. Poor sod needs a raise.

Last edited:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't think there's any active malice. I do think it's a pretty classic example of subconscious bias though. They wouldn't be doing the same the other way round (rightly so).

Simbo

dead babies
Personally I think believe these things should be seen by everyone, but pretty sure such things are not allowed on here. Dead Russian troops appear to be a grey area if spoilered/warned, so at least spoiler it up and see what happens.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
'Seeking out' being reading the BBC's own Twitter account, for those keeping score.

This one employee, who doesn't reflect an official BBC stance, has had a busy day manning the Twitter feeds, official website and putting together the content for their teleprompters. Poor sod needs a raise.
Thanks - this is the one I saw earlier today (Canadian news channel). It's intentionally done in my view.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
It will get far worse. There are about 2-3 days of water and gas left inside Gaza now. Once that runs out and the Israelis go in, things will quickly go south even further.
Maybe they're using the water supply to force Hamas to release their hostages. At least I hope so. I can't imagine them going so far as to let 2 million people die of thirst.

Drainy

Depressing. Are there any plans for evacuating civilians and providing aid to those in need?

All the talk seems to be about everyone cutting funding for aid to the Palestinians so could be an absolute disaster

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Fascinating seeing how different organisations respond to this.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I don't think there's any active malice. I do think it's a pretty classic example of subconscious bias though. They wouldn't be doing the same the other way round (rightly so).
Happens with some frequency here vis à vis black/brown youth v. white youth during the commission of a crime & the after effects.

B/b will often be called ‘young man’ while white will be called ‘child’ or ‘adolescent.’

Mike Smalling

This is hardly random. It’s either deliberate or unconscious bias.

neverdie

"target Assad if Hezbollah joins"

As an update, don't know if it's from here or elsewhere, but some Arab militias are saying that any (more than expected) help from the US will result in US being targetted across the region (throughout various Arab states, including Iraq, where the primary statements are coming from right now (on this front)).