Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Roane

Everything is going as per the status quo. Why are people so surprised/have short memories.

The shift in some govt statements. Par for the course after a few days of indiscriminate bombing. Check

Internal pressure for hostage exchange. A few days after indiscriminate bombing. Check

Meetings with/between officials. After a few days of indiscriminate bombing. Check

This happens every time and just before a ground offensive. Check

Giggsyking

Why have you responded to everything except the bit where they are denying food, water electricity and medicine? In a conversation where you are stating they aren't breaking international law? Seems an odd thing to overlook.
Because you know why. We can see through them easily, it doesn't need rocket scientists.

You know absolutely nothing about international law.
And your posts in this thread show you don't know much about anything.

The bombing campaign ticks the boxes to be considered lawful. The siege does not.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Here's the evidence the IDF have presented:

I can't say I trust anything coming out of the IDF right now but I also don't think it's beyond Hamas' range to do stuff like this. Got to say that the explosion in particular seems a bit weird to me and to be honest I don't see what Israel has to gain from stopping the evacuation.
I would also take what the IDF are putting out with a pinch of salt, however in this instance, I agree with you that they have nothing to gain by stopping the evacuation, whereas Hamas certainly do.

Pintu

”Transmitted by a Franco-Lebanese in Beirut with this comment "Hypocrisy at its best. Double standards".

dinostar77

The bombing campaign ticks the boxes to be considered lawful. The siege does not.
"..International rights experts are raising the alarm over the indiscriminate nature of the Israeli military offensive in Gaza that has killed 1,100 Palestinians and destroyed schools and hospitals while the besieged enclave remains under a blockade.

Activists say the Israeli government’s decision to cut power, water and fuel supply to the enclave amounts to collective punishment of its entire population of 2.3 million people and violates international laws..."

What are the laws of war?
According to Human Rights Watch, the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza is regarded as an “ongoing armed conflict” under international humanitarian law, governed by Common Article 3 of the 1949 Geneva Convention, supplemented by the Additional Protocols of 1977.

These laws of war forbid collective punishment of a population. At their most basic level, they say warring parties must:
  • Distinguish between combatants and civilians

• Preserve civilian infrastructure, such as homes, schools and hospitals

• Give prior warning of attacks if civilians are present in targeted locations

• Refrain from harming medical staff and depriving medical facilities of electricity and water

• Allow the passage of impartial humanitarian aid

• Leave civilians and captured combatants unharmed. Murder, cruel treatment, torture and the taking of hostages are forbidden
On Tuesday, UN rights chief Volker Turk called the conflict “an explosive powder keg”. “The imposition of sieges that endanger the lives of civilians by depriving them of goods essential for their survival is prohibited under international humanitarian law,” he said.

The International Criminal Court announced on Tuesday that its 2014 mandate to investigate alleged war crimes committed in “the State of Palestine” extends to the current conflict. Prosecutors are gathering information for their probe. Under the court’s statute, starvation under siege is considered a war crime

(So its not lawful, not by a long shot).

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

No it doesn't. There are countless reports with clear evidence of attacks and actions that have broken international laws and would absolutely be classed as war crimes. To say otherwise is either extremely naive and ignorant or misinformed at best. It's incredibly disingenuous to keep repeating the same opinion over and over again as more than a few users in this thread have done.

Giggsyking

Are annoyed by my posts? When I show solidarity with Palestinian children?

If anything your posts reek apology for the IDF war crimes. You do not even try to hide it.

No it doesn't. There are countless reports with clear evidence of attacks and actions that have broken international laws and would absolutely be classed as war crimes. To say otherwise is either extremely naive and ignorant or misinformed at best. It's incredibly disingenuous to keep repeating the same opinion over and over again as more than a few users in this thread have done.
A few days into a bombing campaign it can't possibly be determined whether they followed the correct protocols or not. It takes months to unpick the details of something like this which is why nobody outside of protest groups has been making these accusations. Suspicions yes, and I'd agree with that, but look at the post history of the most active users in this thread.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's kind of crazy that people are trying to deny something that the UN has recognized 5 days ago before things even went further.

Simbo

Wow, if this is true, any civilian within 1.5 miles of the blast would be vapourised. Staying put where the bombs will drop is not an option. As a civilian you have to leave and get far enough away.
Its Seymour Hersh, he isn't taken seriously nowadays.

Abizzz

A few days into a bombing campaign it can't possibly be determined whether they followed the correct protocols or not. It takes months to unpick the details of something like this which is why nobody outside of protest groups has been making these accusations. Suspicions yes, and I'd agree with that, but look at the post history of the most active users in this thread.
This has somehow become a place where murdering 1000 + civilians in cold blood is fine but trying to find the murderers is not. 90% in here aren't worth engaging to be honest.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This has somehow become a place where murdering 1000 + civilians in cold blood is fine but trying to find the murderers is not. 90% in here aren't worth engaging to be honest.
Can you point to some people on here (especially 90%+) who think murdering 1000+ civilians is fine?

flameinthesun

Seeing as it appears 1000+ Palestinian civilians have been murdered in cold blood in Palestine, do the Palestinians have the right to find their murderers as well? Do the Palestinians have the right to self-defence in the way that Israel has i.e. by being allowed to kill Israeli civilians in the aims of finding and killing the murderers of Palestinian civilians?

Abizzz

Can you point to some people on here (especially 90%+) who think murdering 1000+ civilians is fine?

Seeing as it appears 1000+ Palestinian civilians have been murdered in cold blood in Palestine, do the Palestinians have the right to find their murderers as well? Do the Palestinians have the right to self-defence in the way that Israel has i.e. by being allowed to kill Israeli civilians in the aims of finding and killing the murderers of Palestinian civilians?
Ye they did a great job looking at a music festival !? For me they are more Vegas shooter than freedom fighter. I judge them by their actions.

the hea

It's kind of crazy that people are trying to deny something that the UN has recognized 5 days ago before things even went further.
These are the only war crimes mentioned in that article:

Reports that armed groups from Gaza have gunned down hundreds of unarmed civilians are abhorrent and cannot be tolerated. Taking civilian hostages and using civilians as human shields are war crimes.

The Commission is gravely concerned with Israel’s latest attack on Gaza and Israel’s announcement of a complete siege on Gaza involving the withholding of water, food, electricity and fuel which will undoubtfully cost civilian lives and constitutes collective punishment.
The siege is mentioned as a collective punisment which would be considered a war crime but nothing about the bombings being unlawful is mentioned. The fact that we know that Hamas are hiding their fighters and equipment under civilian houses makes it extremly hard at this point to judge if a bombing is unlawful or not. It will take months or even years of investigations before we will know how many, if any of the targets where pure civilian.

jadaba

I can't say I trust anything coming out of the IDF right now but I also don't think it's beyond Hamas' range to do stuff like this. Got to say that the explosion in particular seems a bit weird to me and to be honest I don't see what Israel has to gain from stopping the evacuation.
It's worth noting that this attack that the IDF refers to in this video is not the same attack that has reportedly killed 70 Palestinians.

The FT have conducted an investigation into the one that is believed to have killed 70 Palestinians en route South Gaza and concludes that the "evidence points to IDF weapons."

They state that "analysis of the video footage rules out most explanations aside from an Israeli strike," and Chris Cobb-Smith, a former British army major and weapons and munitions expert also states that "the available evidence suggested the most likely cause of the blast was a missile strike."

There are also explanations as to why there's no crater, which I've seen referenced as a reason for doubt earlier in this thread, as well as why it's unlikely to be a car bomb.

I get the intuitive assumption that Israel wouldn't have anything to gain from stopping the evacuation, but let's be real there's a lot of evidence that armies often act in irrational ways in a war, especially when there's such an intense bloodlust as we've seen on display in the past few days.

Wilt

I can't say I trust anything coming out of the IDF right now but I also don't think it's beyond Hamas' range to do stuff like this. Got to say that the explosion in particular seems a bit weird to me and to be honest I don‘t see what Israel has to gain from stopping the evacuation.
Yep, inclined to agree.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Absolutely horrific. I can't imagine the terror those poor people felt. Completely helpless and facing trained terrorists.
The entire interview with Hagari is worth a watch. Completely indicative into the Israeli mindset at the moment

Conor

'trying to find the murderers' is quite a vague description of what Israel are doing at the moment, no?

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Posts like this really do not help this thread at all. I cannot recall seeing one single post where anyone says the Israeli deaths were fine. Not one saying Hamas are right. However there are plenty saying the Israeli response is fine.

Why is that?

It's infuriating seeing posts such as yours where you accuse others of something when you are being so one sided and disingenuous yourself. Not even trying to hide clear bias yet accusing others of it indiscriminately.

It is possible to just be on the side of innocent people from both sides in all of this.

It's possible to support Palestinians but not Hamas, it's also possible to support Israeli people but not their government or military or their actions. It's also possible to do that and not be an anti-Semite.

It's also possible to agree Israel have every right to respond with force, but not to agree with how they sre going about it (the same way they always do) or agree with their motives behind the way they are doing so or the language used by many of their leaders as to how and what and why.

It's also entirely possible to be able to understand and explain actions without justifying them or apologising for them or agreeing with them.

It seems that many can't see or understand a difference between understanding and explaining and justifying. Nor can they understand others who can do these things as it seems everyone has to have a side. Honestly it's like kindergarten level of debating and discussion at times and none of it helps this thread in the slightest.

Reactions: Carolina Red

JPRouve

Scout
These are the only war crimes mentioned in that article:

The siege is mentioned as a collective punisment which would be considered a war crime but nothing about the bombings being unlawful is mentioned. The fact that we know that Hamas are hiding their fighters and equipment under civilian houses makes it extremly hard at this point to judge if a bombing is unlawful or not. It will take months or even years of investigations before we will know how many, if any of the targets where pure civilian.
I'm talking about war crimes being committed. I'm not and have not, itemized said war crimes.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Ye they did a great job looking at a music festival !? For me they are more Vegas shooter than freedom fighter. I judge them by their actions.
It's a rhetorical question where the answer is quite obviously "NO."

the hea

I'm talking about war crimes being committed. I'm not and have not, itemized said war crimes.
My apoligies.

This is the post that your quoted post was in response to:

I took it as you where arguing that the bombings had been judged a war crime by the UN which they have not, at least not yet.

JPRouve

Scout
My apoligies.

This is the post that your quoted post was in response to:

I took it as you where arguing that the bombings had been judged a war crime by the UN which they have not, at least not yet.
I wasn't, I was adding to the second sentence of Langster. But even the quote that you share isn't correct, unless the usage of white phosphorus on densely populated area is now lawful which it isn't. So we do have accounts of unlawful bombings.

Simbo

It's worth noting that this attack that the IDF refers to in this video is not the same attack that has reportedly killed 70 Palestinians.

The FT have conducted an investigation into the one that is believed to have killed 70 Palestinians en route South Gaza and concludes that the "evidence points to IDF weapons."

They state that "analysis of the video footage rules out most explanations aside from an Israeli strike," and Chris Cobb-Smith, a former British army major and weapons and munitions expert also states that "the available evidence suggested the most likely cause of the blast was a missile strike."

There are also explanations as to why there's no crater, which I've seen referenced as a reason for doubt earlier in this thread, as well as why it's unlikely to be a car bomb.

I get the intuitive assumption that Israel wouldn't have anything to gain from stopping the evacuation, but let's be real there's a lot of evidence that armies often act in irrational ways in a war, especially when there's such an intense bloodlust as we've seen on display in the past few days.
FT paywalled, but is there a video of that attack?

flameinthesun

My question is not a "is one side right or wrong" question. Its a very simple question. If Israel have the right to defend themself when their civilians are killed and in doing so are allowed to murderer Palestinian civilians. Do the Palestinian people have the same right to defend themselves when their civilians are killed and in doing so are allowed to murder Israeli civilians?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Biden administration needs to understand this is a big test for American credibility (which wasn't anything to write home about anyway).

If they fail to make Israel adhere to international law, it's over for American moral lecturing. They can forget that argument against China or Russia for the next 50 years.