Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That sounds like bullshit in the main. And did Israel ever claim such a high number of beheaded babies?

Rape and murder certainly occurred and no way were 2/3rds of the Israeli dead military and even more no way were most Israeli civilian casualties friendly fire.
That's a good question. The reporters who shared that info initially claimed that it came from the IDF soldiers that were initially on site. But the Israeli government said from the beginning that they couldn't confirm or verify those allegations.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
To be honest, I think that you can accuse anyone of deliberately inflating/deflating numbers in these type of contexts simply because there is a communication war alongside the actual war. The issue for me is that the likelyhood of these figures being grossly underrated, in the case of Gaza City you are talking about an area that has a similar population density than New York, do people actually believe that bombarding entire New York neighborhoods would lead to less than 10k being killed even if you partially evacuated the city? To me that's implausible.
Point taken.

I also personally find 11,000 dead to be astonishingly "low" when we consider the hell Israel decided to unleash on Gaza for more than a month now, but I'm not there. I can only base my judgment on what Hamas claims, that's everything we got and their numbers were never really contested by anyone in the past. It's still a terrifying amount of casualties for the most moral army in the world that pretends to take every single measure to spare civilians. Especially when more than 90% of the victims are civilians and 50% are children. The IAF willfully repeatedly and bombed the biggest refugee camp, killing dozens, if not hundreds of Palestinians, just to get a few Hamas members. Or so they say. You have Netanyahu openly saying that all civilian deaths are Hamas responsibility. In other words, Israel just doesn't give a feck. I'd hate to imagine what it would look like if the IDF went all in. Might as well as drop a nuke or two and spare us the suspense.

What I personally find particularly hard to wrap my head around is the deliberate denial of access to food, water and medical aid. The video I posted before about Emily Callahan truly sent a chill down my spine. The most critical and constant concern was water. How can one refuse civilians access to water and claim to be on the "side of light"? How can governments tell with a straight face that it's got something to do with self-defense? How can this absolutely inhumane measure fall on so many deaf ears? How can't it be considered as a collective punishment? Any other country in the world that would've done that would've been panned, banned, boycotted and eventually bombed into oblivion, and that's not even talking about what was happening in Gaza and in the West Bank for decades.

I hate to bring the race card, but I'm starting to think that Arab lives in general and the Palestinians in particular just don't matter. You have a Florida republican state representative (Michelle Salzman) openly advocate for the extermination of the Palestinians without anyone really batting an eyelid. Not that she's the only one, mind. Could you imagine the reaction if it was the other way around?

On a side note:

"France weren't the occupiers in Algeria". Like, really? I know that Algeria was considered as a "département" and part of France, but it certainly wasn't the case for the indigenous population. They were, at best, second rate citizens with no political rights. We can debate about semantics all day long, but I don't think that France being an occupying and colonizing power in Algeria is really subject to debate. Unless I misunderstood you.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
On a side note:

"France weren't the occupiers in Algeria". Like, really? I know that Algeria was considered as a "département" and part of France, but it certainly wasn't the case for the indigenous population. They were, at best, second rate citizens with no political rights. We can debate about semantics all day long, but I don't think that France being an occupying and colonizing power in Algeria is really subject to debate. Unless I misunderstood you.
It was a french department without the need for quoting marks and I wouldn't describe it as a (military)occupation. Now the point that you are making is in my opinion different and exposes the principal of equality that France was claiming, there were caste systems where some men, europeans and jews had more voting rights than women, muslims or indigenous people depending on where they resided or their function. That issue of voting rights existed everywhere including the Metropole and was only fixed in 1958.

On that topic there is a strange exception in Corsica, women had the right to vote since the 16th century while everywhere else in France, they had to wait until 1945.

Irrational.

Glad Yaxley-Lemon and his smooth brained football hooligans are making absolute tossers of themselves. Let’s show everyone what it means to be “proper British”. Came just to “feck shit up” on the command of that witch Braverman.

kentafuji

Glad Yaxley-Lemon and his smooth brained football hooligans are making absolute tossers of themselves. Let’s show everyone what it means to be “proper British”. Came just to “feck shit up” on the command of that witch Braverman.
Its amazing these brain dead racists are protesting all based on a brown persons word. Youd think thats the sort of person they wouldnt want to listen to.

But hey, its an excuse to be bigoted and racist and cause a scene.

Irrational.

Its amazing these brain dead racists are protesting all based on a brown persons word. Youd think thats the sort of person they wouldnt want to listen to.

But hey, its an excuse to be bigoted and racist and cause a scene.
You’ve hit the nail on the head. All they need is an excuse to come crawling out of the woodwork. Just like Brexit, they see everything through knobhead glasses and can’t wait to get started causing trouble and spewing their vitriol.

They probably don’t even have a clue about the conflict- but hey, it’s an excuse to fight some brown guys.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Two small things France weren't occupiers in Algeria, Algeria wasn't even a colony, it was an actual french department. And the Fourth Republic was never going to last, first because its structure wasn't popular within parliament but mainly because it was a highly unstable system reminiscent to what you have Belgium today, no stable majority, lots of moving coalitions and governments constantly changing.
What do you mean it was not a colony? You mean just in name?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
By law it was considered a French state or province, unlike other parts of the French colonial empire.

Given that citizenship nor rights did not extend to the majority Arab/Berber population... It was a colony in all but name. Just one closely bound to mainland France.

Pintu

I think at some point after France annexed Algeria the Algerians were considered indigenous citizens by France, and they had the option of applying for full French citizenship. (Palestinians in West-bank and Gaza are barely considered human by the Israeli regime…)

JPRouve

Scout
By law it was considered a French state or province, unlike other parts of the French colonial empire.

Given that citizenship nor rights did not extend to the majority Arab/Berber population... It was a colony in all but name. Just one closely bound to mainland France.
On that front, it's not totally true, it was truer for anyone leaving in rural areas. The process wasn't automatic but as an example my grand grandparent and grandparents didhave the french citizenship.

Edit: In Tamanrasset and Alger.

Kaos

Analysis: Can the next UN vote stop Israel’s war on Gaza?

Malta has circulated a new draft resolution focusing on Gaza’s children, Al Jazeera has learned. Will the US veto it?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/11/can-the-next-un-vote-stop-israels-war-on-gaza
Of course they'll veto it.

There could be a resolution demanding that there not be a genocide of the entire Palestinian people and the US would still veto it. They're utterly and completely compromised in this matter and by far the biggest obstacle to peace.

R'hllor

All that blood, there is no washing it, for them and those supporting them, having their backs.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
On that front, it's not totally true, it was truer for anyone leaving in rural areas. The process wasn't automatic but as an example my grand grandparent and grandparents didhave the french citizenship.

Edit: In Tamanrasset and Alger.
:eek: deep in the Sahara

You're right, not totally true. It was much closer to a colony than a legit part of France like Lyon where everyone had a portfolio of rights and privileges

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Israel have the right to defend themselves while Palestinians have a right to not exist.
Israel has a right to defend itself.

Hamas uses human shields.

There are tunnels under hospitals.

Are there any others?

Roane

That sounds like bullshit in the main. And did Israel ever claim such a high number of beheaded babies?

Rape and murder certainly occurred and no way were 2/3rds of the Israeli dead military and even more no way were most Israeli civilian casualties friendly fire.
I'm calling bullshit. Not a chance that this is even vaguely accurate. Conspiracy theory nonsense or Hamas propaganda.

You could well be right. Problem is bullshit is rife from the Israelis too.

In the early days of the Hamas attack I wrote and referenced event organisers article in a music magazine about what went on. They stated the attendees at the event were 20-40 year olds many who were IDF reservists. So military?

I suppose it's how one wants to label people. For example we had the x amount of Americans, English etc but these were dual nationals due to how it works with Israeli nationals. Similarly if they all were, are, or have been reservists then I would say military.

The friendly fire issue is gathering traction, even according to Israeli papers who are working over time to show it to be false. But that is their status quo and for me usually means something isn't right or it's the Israeli propaganda machine going into overdrive to create and keep a narrative.

Similarly the rape issue is one that is getting traction and "over reporting" in the last few days. Women's groups in Israel are coming out to say why is this being questioned etc.

Main issue seems to be that even though first presented as rapes and gang rapes happening now it's well we weren't able to check for rapes because bodies were burnt and/or buried. No samples were taken according to military and medical staff.

The inews24 woman first put the figure at 40 for beheaded babies, based on an interview she had with a military guy. Interview may still be available. Obviously now shown as false but it was used by virtually every Israeli friendly person from Biden to representatives on news and radio channels.

Don't know if we will ever know the truth but if IDF say it's Saturday I would still check the calendar as they are full of shit and lie all the time.

nimic

something nice
Scout
You could well be right. Problem is bullshit is rife from the Israelis too.

In the early days of the Hamas attack I wrote and referenced event organisers article in a music magazine about what went on. They stated the attendees at the event were 20-40 year olds many who were IDF reservists. So military?

[...] Similarly if they all were, are, or have been reservists then I would say military.
That's not how it works. If they were reservists, they were by definition civilians. You're not being nuanced by calling them military, you're just opening the door to disinformation. Nor are you being nuanced when you point out how untrustworthy the IDF is. Obviously they're untrustworthy. But that doesn't mean you have to consume and then spread misinformation. There's no causal link there.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

Yes they did - it came from an Israeli source.
Source of dubious ‘beheaded babies’ claim is Israeli settler leader who incited riots to ‘wipe out’ Palestinian village

https://thegrayzone.com/2023/10/11/beheaded-israeli-babies-settler-wipe-out-palestinian/

The rape claim was also debunked.

Some of the Israeli dead came from indiscriminate firing from IDF / Israeli forces - there’s been Israeli survivor testimony that speaks to it, and I’ve shared that in the thread. How many, we don't know however.

Hanks

I hope I don't get piled on for this, but can someone tell me why this sign of "Remember October 7, Hamas is ISIS" seem to have triggered the pro-Palestinian protestors in London to the point that they went after the guy just holding the poster and tried to beat and stab him?

The sign is just talking about Hamas' atrocities and how comparable to ISIS they were, why the outrage by protestors? Hamas is not Palestine ... The same way Islamic Republic is not Iran.

I know no one wants to hear it, but you guys in the UK have a lot more actually terrorism-supporting folks in your country than you realize. Good luck!

Last edited:

Roane

Yes they did - it came from an Israeli source.
Source of dubious ‘beheaded babies’ claim is Israeli settler leader who incited riots to ‘wipe out’ Palestinian village

https://thegrayzone.com/2023/10/11/beheaded-israeli-babies-settler-wipe-out-palestinian/

The rape claim was also debunked.

Some of the Israeli dead came from indiscriminate firing from IDF / Israeli forces - there’s been Israeli survivor testimony that speaks to it, and I’ve shared that in the thread. How many, we don't know however.
the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) told The Forward that it has no evidence that rape occurred during the raid or in its aftermath. Many journalistic outlets have walked back these claims as a result, though politicians in the United States and Israel have continued to repeat them.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I hope I don't get piled on for this, but can someone tell me why this sign of "Remember October 7, Hamas is ISIS" seem to have triggered the pro-Palestinian protestors in London to the point that they went after the guy just holding the poster and tried to beat and stab him?

The sign is just talking about Hamas' atrocities and how comparable to ISIS they were, why the outrage by protestors? Hamas is not Palestine ... The same way Islamic Republic is not Iran.

I know no one wants to hear it, but you guys in the UK have a lot more actually terrorism-supporting folks in your country than you realize. Good luck!

A lot more terrorism supporting folks because 2 people tried to stop someone holding up a flag and eventually had others from the protest trying to stop them?

Where has the knife bit come from? Bit weird that he was recorded for so long, by different people, even had someone unmask him and yet there were no signs of a knife?

Putting aside the fact that the comparison is a bit pointless (the aims of such groups are entirely different, just as the aims of Taliban and ISIS are also not comparable, even though both groups are horrible), I never get the point of these people. You should be allowed to do what you want in peace of course. But in a march meant to be about the suffering of the Palestinian people in Gaza right now, what is this person hoping to achieve, other than as a gotcha he can post to social media when he inevitably provokes some idiot in a march full of hundreds of thousands of people? If someone went to a vigil held for the hostages currently held by Hamas and held up a sign saying Israel = apartheid, or Israel = Nakba or Israel = Sabra & Shatila, I'd also think they were total bloody idiots.

JPRouve

Scout
:eek: deep in the Sahara

You're right, not totally true. It was much closer to a colony than a legit part of France like Lyon where everyone had a portfolio of rights and privileges
I want to agree with you but even that isn't totally true. Keep in mind that citizens rights in France were messed up until the 1960s. In reality not everyone had the same portfolio of rights, if you take the core issue which is voting rights, women, career militaries and then later muslim women were the last to get voting rights. An other thing in theory overseas men could demand french citizenship on an individual basis, it's just(and it's important) that it was not a systematic procedure which logically made it very difficult for anyone that was in rural area or had little education.

Also in colonies many men had access to full french citizenship without probably knowing it because precedents considered that they could be full citizens since the mid 1800s but how were they supposed to know that? Most of these issues were fixed in the late 1940s by an MP that was from those colonies, Lamine Guèye.

When I think about it, it's kind of funny. Even when the rights existed, governments were obfuscating things to the point that people probably had no clue.

Roane

That's not how it works. If they were reservists, they were by definition civilians. You're not being nuanced by calling them military, you're just opening the door to disinformation. Nor are you being nuanced when you point out how untrustworthy the IDF is. Obviously they're untrustworthy. But that doesn't mean you have to consume and then spread misinformation. There's no causal link there.
Which bit is misinformation?

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) told The Forward that it has no evidence that rape occurred during the raid or in its aftermath. Many journalistic outlets have walked back these claims as a result, though politicians in the United States and Israel have continued to repeat them.
Yup - a few outlandish claims have been debunked. I find it weird that site staff are still parroting said claims though (or spreading them).

RedTiger

Half mast

The Iranian is right. Hamas and isis are the same, they were both backed by Israel at their inception.

Roane

Yup - a few outlandish claims have been debunked. I find it weird that site staff are still parroting said claims though (or spreading them).
I find it quite alarming that site staff are doing this and often amongst the first to comment when an opposing view is put forward.

I will wonder what would happen if a general poster suggested a staff member had an agenda instead of engaging with what was posted. An attack the post not the poster kind of thing?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I’ve no opinion on the rape claims, but literally the opening paragraph in the link you’ve provided states:

The chief spokesperson of the Israel Defense Forces confirmed that rape and other atrocities were committed during the Oct. 7 terror attack in a televised statement Oct. 21, and other Israeli officials and civilian responders also described evidence of rape since this article was published.”