Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Pintu

It will be hard for any objective non-gaslit observer to continue deny this stuff once it’s proven house to house each day.
It would have been much easier to prove all you say, if Israel had allowed independent observers to go in and check the hospitals before occupying them and staging whatever they want...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If you look at this thread maybe it wont be that hard.
I believe there’s a longer six minute version of the video. The Israelis are going to be doing this every day or each time they come across something worth putting out. There’s an obvious propaganda quality to it, but that doesn’t mean the information is in any way inaccurate.

Jotun

I believe there’s a longer six minute version of the video. The Israelis are going to be doing this every day or each time they come across something worth putting out. There’s an obvious propaganda quality to it, but that doesn’t mean the information is in any way inaccurate.
Or that it is true? If the russians made a similar video, you'd claim it was staged and in fact there is no way knowing it isn't.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It would have been much easier to prove all you say, if Israel had allowed independent observers to go in and check the hospitals before occupying them and staging whatever they want...
I don’t think independent observers can’t go into those places. They just have to know they’re taking their security into their own hands. The Israelis also have an embed program for journos who can travel into Gaza with them.

Halftrack

No, but the fact that they're caught lying on a daily basis sure as feck does. You can't trust anything Israel puts out at this point, because everything is tailored to suit their agenda (which is to make Gaza uninhabitable for Palestinians), and who knows how much of it is fabricated, planted or outright made up.

It's frankly baffling that you're so willing to just accept whatever Israel says, after what we've been seeing for the last couple of decades.

Jotun

Yes, but that’s for the Russia thread.
The point is, there is no reason to believe what's obviously Isreali propaganda. Doesn't mean it isn't true. Doesn't mean it is. Hamas is obviously a terrorist organization and it isn't beyond them to hide in hospitals etc., but considering Israel is targeting hospitals, humanitarian workers and shelters, I don't consider it beyond them to stage scenes like these to at least try to justify their actions.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
I agree. My point is that there are not many objective observers as you mentioned in your previous post.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No, but the fact that they're caught lying on a daily basis sure as feck does. You can't trust anything Israel puts out at this point, because everything is tailored to suit their agenda (which is to make Gaza uninhabitable for Palestinians), and who knows how much of it is fabricated, planted or outright made up.

It's frankly baffling that you're so willing to just accept whatever Israel says, after what we've been seeing for the last couple of decades.
I’m willing to consider what both sides are saying. Hamas have been admitting they use their tunnels for fighting and not for protecting civilians - which is very believable. Likewise, the Israelis are corroborating in video what Hamas previously said about the tunnels. I don’t think anyone still denies that Hamas uses tunnels to fight, which is all the IDF are saying here.

Kaos

I think its safe to say the Israelis have lost any credibility based on recent precedence wouldn't you say? They've reached Comical Ali levels of sincerity. So even their genuine findings would be met with incredulity and rightly so.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think its safe to say the Israelis have lost any credibility based on recent precedence wouldn't you say? They've reached Comical Ali levels of sincerity. So even their genuine findings would be met with incredulity and rightly so.
No, I don't think so. There are occasional exaggerations and clumsiness in some of the Israeli releases, but they are ultimately incentivized to put out accurate information since they know not doing so will result in more damage than benefit to their objectives. The same can be applied to Hamas when it comes to casualty figures. I previously was highly skeptical of their numbers but have since concluded that as long as the numbers are not absurd, that they are more likely accurate than not. I think we have to be careful to fall into the trap of always only believing one side in this dispute, and should instead be considering what both sides are saying.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
No, I don't think so. There are occasional exaggerations and clumsiness in some of the Israeli releases, but they are ultimately incentivized to put out accurate information since they know not doing so will result in more damage than benefit to their objectives. The same can be applied to Hamas when it comes to casualty figures. I previously was highly skeptical of their numbers but have since concluded that as long as the numbers are not absurd, that they are more likely accurate than not. I think we have to be careful to fall into the trap of always only believing one side in this dispute, and should instead be considering what both sides are saying.
It's not just exaggerations and clumsiness though - you're downplaying it. It's total fabrication in some instances. It's Russian level of fantasy, which you're quite happy to call out in that instance, but not in this. How are you squaring that circle?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's not just exaggerations and clumsiness though - you're downplaying it. It's total fabrication in some instances. It's Russian level of fantasy, which you're quite happy to call out in that instance, but not in this. How are you squaring that circle?
That's absolutely not correct. The Russians are literally making nearly everything up for their internal audiences who are controlled by their own domestic propaganda with limited resources to know otherwise because they are conditioned by 24/7 hour misinformation of an authoritarian system. That is light years away from what a democratic nation is doing to get their message out. The problem is that some folks become incredibly uncomfortable with the idea that "the other side" might by putting accurate information out that is unflattering to the desired narrative, at which point people start making blanket statements denying anything coming out of one side. That's not a very productive way of approaching this from a balanced perspective.

Pintu

First official document from a western country confirming prior knowledge of these war crimes and the scale at which they were intended (“Dahiya doctrine”).

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
That's absolutely not correct. The Russians are literally making nearly everything up for their internal audiences who are controlled by their own domestic propaganda with limited resources to know otherwise because they are conditioned by 24/7 hour misinformation of an authoritarian system. That is light years away from what a democratic nation is doing to get their message out. The problem is that some folks become incredibly uncomfortable with the idea that "the other side" might by putting accurate information out that is unflattering to the desired narrative, at which point people start making blanket statements denying anything coming out of one side. That's not a very productive way of approaching this from a balanced perspective.
What do you think hasbara is? It’s literally the government paying people to spread online propaganda, misinformation and fabrications. I guess the only difference (when compared to Russia) is that this is for external audience consumption as opposed to them deceiving their own citizens, but on balance, a lot of Israelis probably fall for it too. The sheer volume of fake stuff being put out is crazy when you really look at it.

That coupled with how they fabricate online translations, planting mein kampf, fake videos, fake audio…it’s a serious concerted effort to try and deceive the public or change the narrative. They’re as bad as the Russians with it.

Halftrack

I’m willing to consider what both sides are saying. Hamas have been admitting they use their tunnels for fighting and not for protecting civilians - which is very believable. Likewise, the Israelis are corroborating in video what Hamas previously said about the tunnels. I don’t think anyone still denies that Hamas uses tunnels to fight, which is all the IDF are saying here.
Are you being disingenuous? The purpose of that specific video is to justify bombing and besieging hospitals. An earlier photo of a "tunnel entrance" outside of a hospital turned out to be a shaft into a generator room. A photo of a man inside a hospital holding what was claimed to be a gun, but turned out to be a baton. Videos of prisoners, made by a captor known to treat Palestinian prisoners inhumanely and subject them to torture, talking about all the terrorism they plan and prepare in hospitals, schools, etc. because Israel never attack those, despite Israel having been attacking them for decades.

And that's just what they've put out relating to hospitals. There's also the pristine copy of Mein Kampf found on a dead Hamas fighter, the conversation in dodgy Arabic where a couple of Hamas guys conveniently admitted to accidentally exploding al-Ahli hospital, a phrase sheet in dodgy Arabic supposedly carried by Hamas fighters that proved they were planning to systematically rape Israelis, them making the case that journalists in Gaza knew of the attack in advance after people started noticing that a suspiciously high number of them were killed in their own homes. And that's just off the top of my head, and limited to the latest hostilities.
No, I don't think so. There are occasional exaggerations and clumsiness in some of the Israeli releases, but they are ultimately incentivized to put out accurate information since they know not doing so will result in more damage than benefit to their objectives.
This borders on the ridiculous. "Occasional exaggerations and clumsiness" is one of the all time great understatements. They're caught in spreading falsehoods on the regular, and have no reason to stop, because no matter how much they lie, and how many times they're caught doing so, there are people out there who will continue to take whatever they release at face value.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What do you think hasbara is? It’s literally the government paying people to spread online propaganda, misinformation and fabrications. I guess the only difference (when compared to Russia) is that this is for external audience consumption as opposed to them deceiving their own citizens, but on balance, a lot of Israelis probably fall for it too. The sheer volume of fake stuff being put out is crazy when you really look at it.

That coupled with how they fabricate online translations, planting mein kampf, fake videos, fake audio…it’s a serious concerted effort to try and deceive the public or change the narrative. They’re as bad as the Russians with it.
Its a part of their communication strategy to explain what they are doing (from their perspective of course). I don't see anything wrong with that as long as the information is accurate. If it isn't then it obviously needs to be called out as such. The concern I have is that critics of Israel are needlessly cornering themselves into a situation where they feel the need to reflexively argue that night is day when presented with information that is contrary to their preferred narrative. The exact same thing appears to be happening in Israeli society where anything emanating from the Palestinian side is automatically regarded as a lie designed to support Khhhamas.

At the end of the day, there is an information war taking place where both sides are seeking to appeal to their respective core audiences. Its up to the people taking in the information to hold both sides to account.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
The first casualty here was the truth from 10/7 and any one claiming a side is telling us the truth is full of it themself.

War is lies and it’ll never change. The best liar will inflict the bigger damage. Let’s wait and see who wins, we’ll then know who the better liar was, or accept the better lie.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
With this level of stone age thinking, you will be be alienating any sympathies you get. You are further reinforcing Israel's 'animals' narrative.

How do you expect tolerance from your oppressors when you are showing to be intolerant yourselves?
I get this virtue signalling is very important on the internet (and rightly so when responding to a homophobe), but tarring every Palestinian with the same brush as some random username on RedCafe is beyond ridiculous. And you didn't do it just one, you did it in successive posts.

Easy to see the masks slip off sometimes.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Its a part of their communication strategy to explain what they are doing (from their perspective of course). I don't see anything wrong with that as long as the information is accurate. If it isn't then it obviously needs to be called out as such. The concern I have is that critics of Israel are needlessly cornering themselves into a situation where they feel the need to reflexively argue that night is day when presented with information that is contrary to their preferred narrative. The exact same thing appears to be happening in Israeli society where anything emanating from the Palestinian side is automatically regarded as a lie designed to support Khhhamas.

At the end of the day, there is an information war taking place where both sides are seeking to appeal to their respective core audiences. Its up to the people taking in the information to hold both sides to account.
There aren't "both sides" between a coloniser and the oppressed.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
There aren't "both sides" between a coloniser and the oppressed.
Of course there are when Hamas, a bunch of religiously fanatical and highly murderous terrorists, are involved. You don't have to be a fan of Israel to recognise that as well.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Of course there are when Hamas, a bunch of religiously fanatical and highly murderous terrorists, are involved. You don't have to be a fan of Israel to recognise that as well.
And murdering, EDIT : committing horrific war crimes and genocide on an indigenous population to get to Hamas is the one side?

Do tell me how they're different from Hamas. And please don't start history with 7th October.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
And murdering, EDIT : committing horrific war crimes and genocide on an indigenous population to get to Hamas is the one side?

Do tell me how they're different from Hamas. And please don't start history with 7th October.
Who said anything about Israel not behaving badly? Just that you have decided that there is only one side to this. As for ignoring the history/context of so many things seems to have started on the 8th of October, so as to ignore what kicked off the latest shit show in the region. Hamas knew exactly how Israel would react - it was what they wanted - and of course Israel obliged. There is lots and lots of blame to go around and little or none of it gets us closer to a solution either to the current violence or a longer term solution.

Kaush949

I get this virtue signalling is very important on the internet (and rightly so when responding to a homophobe), but tarring every Palestinian with the same brush as some random username on RedCafe is beyond ridiculous. And you didn't do it just one, you did it in successive posts.

Easy to see the masks slip off sometimes.
I acknowledge my poor choice of words. I intended to say 'yourself' instead of 'yourselves'.

For that I apologize.

R'hllor

Well thats different you know

Ted Lasso

Where does Hamas rank in the list of terrorist groups with respect to size, organization, threat posed etc compared to others like say Al Queda and ISIS?

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I don't think her translation is accurate. (purely isn't the only sense here). In Swedish I could use a similar adjective ("rent") to say "exclusively". That's how I understand the sentence she is quoting here... "Das sind doch keine reinen Deutschen" should be understood as "They're not solely Germans".
Absolutely not.

I speak German, the adjective "rein" is translated correctly, and the racial connotation in this context is evident for anyone speaking the language. She's right in saying that it's even worse than using "richtig" or "echt" (true). I'd also add that "doch" is used here to emphazise the argument and make it categoric.

If any, the correct sentence should've been "They're certainly not pure Germans".

Last edited:

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I don’t think independent observers can’t go into those places. They just have to know they’re taking their security into their own hands. The Israelis also have an embed program for journos who can travel into Gaza with them.
The IDF doesn't let any journalist or observer not embedded in Gaza.

Every channel, every single journalist tells you so. If you weren't there before October 7th, you can't go in.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't think her translation is accurate. (purely isn't the only sense here). In Swedish I could use a similar adjective ("rent") to say "exclusively". That's how I understand the sentence she is quoting here... "Das sind doch keine reinen Deutschen" should be understood as "They're not solely Germans".
Why do you keep trying to lecture people on the finer points of German if you don't speak the language?
The sentence, as it is given in the article, is clearly racist language. No ifs and buts.

RedDevilQuebecois

Ok with it is a relative term. They don't want an influx of Palestinians though and they have resisted this for a long long time.
And they still resist the idea of accepting Palestinian refugees. That is why I scoff at the BS coming out from the mouths of those Middle Eastern governments on their "support" for Palestinians. If they care one bit about civilians, they better find a way to support their most urgent needs now and then keep the political games for later.

In comparison, a tiny nation named Macedonia (now North Macedonia) took a large chunk of Kosovar refugees (132,500 according to MSF back in April 1999) even though they were friendlier to Serbia than most other nations in the Balkans were during the late 1990s.

It will be hard for any objective non-gaslit observer to continue deny this stuff once it’s proven house to house each day.
Seeing those tunnels right underneath the children's hospital really fills me with rage because that is the epitome of not giving a feck about your own citizens. To think that Hamas, as Gaza's government body gone beyond its expiry date, swallowed hundreds of millions of dollars worthy of international aid into building that crap while life conditions inside Gaza were deteriorating even without the IDF, this is where I call out the amount of sheer stupidity when masses protest for Palestine without those valuable facts in mind.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
And they still resist the idea of accepting Palestinian refugees. That is why I scoff at the BS coming out from the mouths of those Middle Eastern governments on their "support" for Palestinians. If they care one bit about civilians, they better find a way to support their most urgent needs now and then keep the political games for later.

In comparison, a tiny nation named Macedonia (now North Macedonia) took a large chunk of Kosovar refugees (132,500 according to MSF back in April 1999) even though they were friendlier to Serbia than most other nations in the Balkans were during the late 1990s.

Seeing those tunnels right underneath the children's hospital really fills me with rage because that is the epitome of not giving a feck about your own citizens. To think that Hamas, as Gaza's government body gone beyond its expiry date, swallowed hundreds of millions of dollars worthy of international aid into building that crap while life conditions inside Gaza were deteriorating even without the IDF, this is where I call out the amount of sheer stupidity when masses protest for Palestine without those valuable facts in mind.
This is why their very existence was always going to end catastrophically. They squandered so much money and resources to build their tunnel infrastructure for the purpose of fighting, that could've been better used to build up Gaza. The Israelis are of course also complicit for going in reverse during the Netanyahu era, which resulted in both sides gradually securitizing and drifting towards their respective extremes.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Where does Hamas rank in the list of terrorist groups with respect to size, organization, threat posed etc compared to others like say Al Queda and ISIS?
There's really no rank given that terrorism is subjective. Hamas is listed as a terrorist organization by the US, UK, Canada, the EU, & NATO plus Japan, and Australia. The Egyptians did as well until it was overturned in their courts. Egypt and Jordan have banned them as well.

In terms of a threat - they obviously only exist for the purpose of fighting and destroying Israel, so there's not much of a threat beyond that if they're confined to a small piece of land. That's unlike AQ, who were largely a decentralized group of cells operating in many countries.

RedDevilQuebecois

This is why their very existence was always going to end catastrophically. They squandered so much money and resources to build their tunnel infrastructure for the purpose of fighting that could've been better used to build up Gaza. The Israelis are of course also complicit for going in reverse during the Netanyahu era, which resulted in both sides gradually securitizing and drifting towards their respective extremes.
Knowing in what position Netanyahu's far-right coalition and Hamas were in their respective areas prior to October 7, it's obvious that this conflict will benefit the most to those increasingly marginalized extremes. Both should have been kicked out by their respective electorates by now. I really don't know what a Palestinian movement led by a new president in Marwan Barghouti would have looked like for Gaza, but it would certainly not look as bad as the last 16 years of Hamas have been.

There's really no rank given that terrorism is subjective. Hamas is listed as a terrorist organization by the US, UK, Canada, the EU, & NATO plus Japan, and Australia. The Egyptians did as well until it was overturned in their courts. Egypt and Jordan have banned them as well.

In terms of a threat - they obviously only exist for the purpose of fighting and destroying Israel, so there's not much of a threat beyond that if they're confined to a small piece of land. That's unlike AQ, who were largely a decentralized group of cells operating in many countries.
The Global Terrorism Index has a list of the most potent and most dangerous groups in terms of deaths, incidents, hostages and injuries from terrorism, weighted over a five-year period. Hamas is not even mentioned in the most recent update from last March, but that might change come the next update of that index. Notice that there are a bunch of groups that we don't hear about and yet are really horrible by the numbers, especially in Africa.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
American-Israeli Holocaust scholar Omer Bartov on the distinction between ethnic cleansing and genocide in Gaza, the Apartheid regime applied to the West Bank, the corrupting effect of the Occupation on the Israeli society and its role in the highly criticized judiciary reform attempt by the the Netanyahu Government.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
How mods even get away with trolling.

Nogbadthebad

This is the precise language the nazis used to justify how they treated Jews. No European country would accept them (including the UK), so they are obviously bad people who deserve it all.

I'd suggest to you that if you are using the same argument as hitler, you are not on the right side of the argument.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just so I can catch up on the Caf position: the video of tunnels, weapons and what not found under a children's hospital - that was an elaborately staged fake by the IDF? Do I have that right?

Because if Hamas really does build war infrastructure under a children's hospital, I feel like it would force some pretty tough questions I'd love to hear opinions on.

Do the anti-Isreali posters really, honestly believe Hamas aren't doing this?