Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Amir

Some interesting back and forth here on the legal status of Palestinians being released in the hostage deal.

Maybe @Amir can corroborate the Hebrew article cited below.

I don't know where each of these people is from or if they have an Israeli ID, but I have heard some are from Jerusalem.

While Israel does arrest people for long periods (by law) without trial - by claiming them to be a security risk - these people have indeed stood trial and were convicted.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I don't know where each of these people is from or if they have an Israeli ID, but I have heard some are from Jerusalem.

While Israel does arrest people for long periods (by law) without trial - by claiming them to be a security risk - these people have indeed stood trial and were convicted.
Good to see you back in this thread. We need posters like you, more than ever.

Amir

Good to see you back in this thread. We need posters like you, more than ever.
Thanks. I haven't had much to contribute in the last few weeks as an illness and then death in the family have taken most of my time . I've not even been as updated as before regarding everything that's been happening in Israel and Gaza.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Thanks. I haven't had much to contribute in the last few weeks as an illness and then death in the family have taken most of my time . I've not even been as updated as before regarding everything that's been happening in Israel and Gaza.
I'm truly sorry to hear that, my heartfelt condolences. Know that every post coming from you never falls on deaf ears. Not from mine at least.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Begs the question how do you manage to interrogate a 4 and 5 year old, deny them a potty break? Then again it's coming from lying Palestinians so take with a pinch of dead sea salt.
It's really absurd that they detain 100's of children every year.

Idxomer

Int’l committee must investigate Israel’s holding of dead bodies in Gaza

"Euro-Med Monitor confirmed that Israel is the only country that systematically holds the dead bodies of those it kills, and is classified as one of the world’s biggest hubs for the illegal trade of human organs under the pretext of “security deterrence” and in total violation of international charters and agreements.

Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor also confirmed that refusing to hand over the bodies of the dead so their grieving families can bury them with dignity and in accordance with their religious beliefs may amount to collective punishment, which is strictly prohibited in Article 50 of the Hague Regulations and Article 33 of the Fourth Geneva Convention."

More war crimes.

Manchie

The question should have been, 'Is October 7 a proportionate response to the atrocities and humiliation Palestinians have been going through since 1948?"

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

I mean, at this point...
I'm glad the girl is alive for the sake of her and her family. I know that the figures for 7 October dead were revised down. I hope the father was informed of the reality as soon as possible.

The onus should be on the media to correct this here, which I haven't seen in the stories from today.

I'm reminded of Hanlon's razor - never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by neglect, ignorance or incompetence.

Given the record of the IDF, I suspect they won't get the benefit of the doubt when there is incompetence rather than deliberate action.

The United

I'm glad the girl is alive for the sake of her and her family. I know that the figures for 7 October dead were revised down. I hope the father was informed of the reality as soon as possible.

The onus should be on the media to correct this here, which I haven't seen in the stories from today.

I'm reminded of Hanlon's razor - never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by neglect, ignorance or incompetence.

Given the record of the IDF, I suspect they won't get the benefit of the doubt when there is incompetence rather than deliberate action.
I wonder if this is about that girl.

"But at the end of October, Israeli authorities came back to Hand with stunning news — they had evidence Emily was alive and was among the roughly 240 hostages Hamas was holding in Gaza."

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/26/1215...-9-year-old-israeli-girl-is-released-by-hamas

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

I mean, at this point...
I honestly feel incredibly happy for this little girl who had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with this conflict other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Seeing her reunite with her father personally fills me with nothing but an earnest joy. No child, or any human being for that matter, deserves to go through what she endured and long may be her days.

I hope that the same applies to the hundreds of thousands of Palestinian children who endured a similar and cruel ordeal for decades.

reelworld

Surely not 10x worse for the Palestinian people as that would mean a death toll of 140,000 or 2800 daily.
It's always hilarious to me how Dems paint Trump like some kind of boogeyman and Biden just unflinchingly gave billion dollars to kill brown babies and the while liberals was like no he's still better than Trump.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It's always hilarious to me how Dems paint Trump like some kind of boogeyman and Biden just unflinchingly gave billion dollars to kill brown babies and the while liberals was like no he's still better than Trump.
He is.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I have read up a bit on it, and based on what I’ve read I am not prepared to come to a firm conclusion about the details of the case, certainly not to the extent that I would be happy to confidently post about it in this thread.

Given that the thread’s framing of the entire incident rests on what appears to be a lie, why would anyone with that knowledge bother taking the rest of it seriously or even bother reading it?

Yes let’s put the disinformation you have (once again) posted to one side.
You're exaggerating here. What is clear that there was an explosion of some sort of which Israa suffered a great deal of physical pain and scarring. What else is clear if you read the various incident reporting is that she wasn't given the right medical care not just at the time but in her subsequent incarceration. In any case - there's a reason I posted tweet 4 and 6 specifically - as it detailed the horrific nature of her injuries. Is that disinformation?

No to both. Hence why I am not prepared to accept the ruling of the Israeli court in this case at face value either.
So we're in agreement then.
The problem with this kind of stuff is that there are countless examples of Israelis treating Palestinians in a truly awful way. Posting stuff tjwy turns out to be unverified and potentially a gray area only makes sole people less likely to believe the genuinely awful crap they pull on a regular basis.

I think it's probably having the opposite effect of what you intend it to.
I take your point and I agree, but there's nothing I posted that is unverified with tweet #4 and #6.

She was injured severely and denied the care - that's been corroborated.