Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

UpWithRivers

But why? The Russia War is obvious as is other Wars. Iraq etc. Even if you disagree with them you can see reasoning behind it. Why the US gives billions in aid to Israel which is a Western country with enough money is beyond me. I can see selling weapons helps the Industrial military complex. Ok. But then supporting the genocide? Why? What do they get out if it. Even if they think Hamas should be destroyed why support the genocide and mass destruction? I don't get it. What's in it for them? Why is Israel so key to the US that it will support them no matter what? Is there some sort of Geopolitics I don't get. That they need Israel to keep the region stable?

Idxomer

Its reaching the point where you do wonder if the US even has a threshold for how much is too much.

The Israelis might as well just commit to full genocide, safe in the knowledge the US will block any diplomatic efforts to curtail them.
I don't think anyone would keep defending this unless they were pulling the trigger themselves. This is the reality people should've accepted a long time ago. The US and Israel are the same entity in this genocide.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But why? The Russia War is obvious as is other Wars. Iraq etc. Even if you disagree with them you can see reasoning behind it. Why the US gives billions in aid to Israel which is a Western country with enough money is beyond me. I can see selling weapons helps the Industrial military complex. Ok. But then supporting the genocide? Why? What do they get out if it. Even if they think Hamas should be destroyed why support the genocide and mass destruction? I don't get it. What's in it for them? Why is Israel so key to the US that it will support them no matter what? Is there some sort of Geopolitics I don't get. That they need Israel to keep the region stable?
I wonder if the answer isn't simply, Iran. Saudi Arabia has been shielded by the same nations during their "adventures" in Yemen. And one of the talking point was Iran supporting yemenis. I wonder if the US actions are more based on who they believe is on the other side.

RedDevilQuebecois

I wonder if the answer isn't simply, Iran. Saudi Arabia has been shielded by the same nations during their "adventures" in Yemen. And one of the talking point was Iran supporting yemenis. I wonder if the US actions are more based on who they believe is on the other side.
Must be. As I pointed out somewhere else, geopolitics is a game of 4D chess where only a handful of big players are involved. One wrong move with any ally could easily see a key piece on the chessboard moving to the other side just and thus it would lead to a greater loss of geopolitical influence down the road, just like the Soviets already made that mistake by favoring Iraq and Syria at the expense of Egypt (the key piece).

With Iran being the other big player, we can't expect a change in that game soon and unless their regime crumbles. And at the same time, there is a post-Netanyahu era to think about and thus the range of actions from the US is limited if the aim is to keep Israel within their circle of allies and avoid a repeat of the Egypt/Soviet Union fallout.

Mike Smalling

Yes, this is part of the official explanation. Israel being the only democracy in the region, collaborating with the US, sharing intelligence and all that is seen as a strategic benefit for US interests in the region. But it goes broader than that. First of all, the Israel lobby is tremendously powerful and aggressive in the US. AIPAC will systemically go after politicians that criticize Israel, and financially aid the ones that are supportive. Second, Biden and many other powerful politicians are self-described Zionists. Biden literally believes that no Jews would be safe if Israel didn't exist. With this world view, you are willing to go to extremes to protect it. And finally, there are Christian nutjob types that believe Israel plays a role in the rapture, which again just means that they can do pretty much no wrong in their view.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The Biden administration has the desire to normalize relations between Israel and Saudi Arabia. This was having the perceived impact of sidelining the Palestinian state's cause permanently. The Hamas attack are seen by Biden himself as an attempt to disrupt this normalization. Important people in the administration are still pushing for normalization and trying to fold the Gaza war into it.

This is the geopolitical calculation, but there is also an element of prejudice involved there. Biden, many in his administration, and plenty of his supporters, simply do not believe that Arab lives are very valuable compared to Israeli lives. If you think that way, your calculations of what a political win might look like, will differ from other people's.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
When we accept China as the next real world power and align with it's CBDC (currency). They're no saints either, but they are are now a damn sight lesser of an evil than the States.
China are also engaged in various genocides.

Smores

Given how they're managing to avoid any proper pushback you would think Israel are likely to ramp it up soon. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an 'accident' blamed on Hamas that kills several thousand.

They clearly don't care about killing civilians so if they can get away with it they no doubt will. No different to the Russians in the regard.

jackal&hyde

Absolute fecking insanity. I haven’t seen this kind of violence ever. Israel has gone mad.
The fact they could commit whatever war crimes they want and get away with it makes me sick. What a cruel world man.
Ever since the present day. Multiple cities completely destroyed and 7 million refuges. Ukraine.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
"Israel is under increasing scrutinity over the War in Gaza, these videos might add fuel to criticism" - CNN

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Israel is the West's and the US' bridgehead in the region, the so-called "beacon of light" in the Middle-East. You can add the weight of History, highly religious and cultural affinities, and an institutional racism contempt towards Arabs in general and Palestinians in particular.

When you combine all of these factors, everything makes sense.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Israel is the West's and the US' bridgehead in the region, the so-called "beacon of light" in the Middle-East. You can add the weight of History, highly religious and cultural affinities, and an institutional racism towards Arabs in general and Palestinians in particular.

When you combine all of these factors, everything makes sense.
There's also probably something in there about a European colonial project (how the US was founded) backing another European colonial project (Israel).

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Ever since the present day. Multiple cities completely destroyed and 7 million refuges. Ukraine.
Whatever the Russians are doing / have done pales in comparison to what Israel have done over the last 5 months by most metrics that have compared the two.

Although, I'd say it's a fool's game to try and have this ranking of who's worse (Israel is worse).

Idxomer

jackal&hyde

Whatever the Russians are doing / have done pales in comparison to what Israel have done over the last 5 months by most metrics that have compared the two.

Although, I'd say it's a fool's game to try and have this ranking of who's worse (Israel is worse).
7 million refuges. Mass graves found on just the territories that were won back. Tens of thousands of kids taken for "re education in Russia".

How the feck does this pale in comparison to anything short of WW2?

Mike Smalling

There's also probably something in there about a European colonial project (how the US was founded) backing another European colonial project (Israel).
Israel is exactly that - a colonial state that exists in a post-colonial age. I suspect you are right, that reckoning with that fact would also mean reckoning with the colonial history of the US and UK in particular, something many are not willing to do.

Idxomer

And while we're talking about lying, the EU has reinstated funding for the UNRWA.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Definitely. There's eery similarities between the US' and Israel's foundation.

Game recognizes game.

Mike Smalling

The US was formed by breaking away from colonial Europe. The UK has f all colonial behavior today or for many years.

The only power that still acts like a colonial entity is Russia.
Hence, the word "history". And if you count Israel as a power, which I would argue you should, Russia is definitely not the only colonial entity in the world.

Kaos

7 million refuges. Mass graves found on just the territories that were won back. Tens of thousands of kids taken for "re education in Russia".

How the feck does this pale in comparison to anything short of WW2?
The difference is the Ukrainians can fight back, and have the bulk of the Western world pitching in to do so. Their refugees are also given red carpet treatment in Europe.

Meanwhile the same Western world looks the other way, or worse - sponsors a genocide in Palestine.

Idxomer

The problem is that even papers that appear sympathetic to Palestinians are part of the propaganda machine.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
The US was formed by breaking away from colonial Europe. The UK has f all colonial behavior today or for many years.

The only power that still acts like a colonial entity is Russia.
:lol:

So they broke away from 'colonial Europe' to where? And whom did they find already there? And what happened to those already there?

jackal&hyde

The difference is the Ukrainians can fight back, and have the bulk of the Western world pitching in to do so. Their refugees are also given red carpet treatment in Europe.

Meanwhile the same Western world looks the other way, or worse - sponsors a genocide in Palestine.
No. They have a similar treatment to the Afghan, Syrian, etc people. There was more of an effort because there were a lot of people at the same time.

A red carpet treatment? Where do you get your information from? Do you think it's a racisms or religious based thing? If that were so, there would be 0 people from the middle east coming in. But there are many millions welcome to Europe as they should be.

Drop this feel sorry for myself when it come to the EU taking on people.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
No different to what Israel are doing. In fact, Israel is doing it on a larger basis (if you go by the % per population metrics).

In any case, I'm quite comfortable calling out Russia and Israel as cnuts of the highest order. Can you?

jackal&hyde

:lol:

So they broke away from 'colonial Europe' to where? And whom did they find already there? And what happened to those already there?
"So they broke away from 'colonial Europe' to where?"

To forming a new country.

"And whom did they find already there?"
In the 13 lands you have to ask the British. The 13 colonies are the beginning of America.

"And what happened to those already there?"
Here we go, the true question. What happens to the population of a land, before a state is form there. The answer that you want to hear is that they died, killed, pushed away. This is that same on every land today.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
China are also engaged in various genocides.
Agreed, one of them no less against a Muslim community (if what we're told from such reliable Western media to be true). I'm not saying we should align with China, just that we need to start thinking outside of the box which is running out of oxygen.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Even the blurred image of the man who was run over is horrifying, and that's really an understatement to describe this evil.

@4bars You say the Gaza genocide deniers should be answered relentlessly. Maybe but I think we're very close to the point when they should be shunned in society like deniers of other atrocities.
Would be ideal but it will never happen. While holocaust deniers have the weight of history of the winners behind and there is no contest, Israel genocide has all the western media behind and all the western governments behind supporting it. Also the victimization of all the Jewish historical prosecution that doesn't allow minimal criticizing because if you do, you are an anti-Semite. That is why that the only way that we have of now is relentlessly answer all the time. Obviously I have a lot of limitations when I do my discourse is not structured enough and emotions brings the worse of me. But there are many users here that are spot on over and over and I am so glad that they don't get tired of it

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

The problem is that even papers that appear sympathetic to Palestinians are part of the propaganda machine.
I'm going to defend the Guardian a bit here. That picture is of a live blog of current events, not an article. It's subject to constant updates and revision. It's true that it was poorly headlined, but it's also true that it's been revised several times since and now reads "Biden says killing of more than 100 Palestinians near aid trucks will complicate ceasefire talk." An earlier bulletin describing the same incident was titled "At least 70 people killed in an attack on Palestinian civilians waiting for humanitarian aid, says Gaza Health Ministry." Today we've got several headlines on the subject from "Middle East crisis: Germany joins calls for Israel to ‘fully explain … mass panic and shooting’ at Gaza aid site – as it happened" through "Israel faces mounting pressure to investigate Gaza food aid deaths" to "112 dead in chaotic scenes as Israeli troops open fire near aid trucks, say Gaza officials."

Alongside that we've headlines like
"Israel is deliberately starving Palestinians, UN rights expert says"
"‘They took our home, our land, everything’: Palestinians speak out against settlers on UK sanctions list"

Two days ago the blog was titled:
"Middle East crisis: Hamas ‘showing flexibility’ in negotiations with Israel but ‘prepared to continue fighting’ – as it happened"

I cannot detect a particularly pro-Israeli bias in the Guardian's headlines here. In fact I'm certain some of our pro-Israeli posters would take umbrage at the framing some of these headlines take.

jackal&hyde

No different to what Israel are doing. In fact, Israel is doing it on a larger basis (if you go by the % per population metrics).

In any case, I'm quite comfortable calling out Russia and Israel as cnuts of the highest order. Can you?
Can I what? I said many times that what Israel is doing in the West B is colonialism. Israel is run by a far right gov that is deplorable and it's doing deplorable things. My main argument for why hamas is such a horrific entity is that is not only making life worse for the Palestinian people but it is pushing more and more people in Israel in the hands of the far right.

jackal&hyde

Honestly, what the absolute feck?!
It is a claim that the US along with the vast majority of nations is waiting on verification. But the title is made so as to sound like ...omg...

The Palestinian people are unbelievably hard done not just by war but by fake news from people and entities. They are used like a piece for geopolitics piece.

Idxomer

@Ekkie Thump I don't think they're pro-Israel but they are still using neutral language in most of those headlines describing what was basically a massacre of a starved people.

gfactor86

@Ekkie Thump I don't think they're pro-Israel but they are still using neutral language in most of those headlines describing what was basically a massacre of a starved people.
Israel says something else. Apparently the gun fire was from gangs of Palestinians.

Reminds me of the time Hamas misfired rocket bombed the hospital car park and the world accused IDF, declaring 500 dead straight after the blast.