Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The flak Germany is getting is certainly justified, but some of the comments are just ridiculous. I'm sure the reunification was purely destructive to humanity
If it wasn't 30k dead, the headlines from Germany would be the funniest story in years.
This one alone...

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
It’s so weird the countdown lady is a ethnic nationalist

Since when jerusalem is israel capital? Isnt tel aviv?

Edit: huh how mistaken i was. I truely thought it was tel aviv

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Since when jerusalem is israel capital? Isnt tel aviv?

Edit: huh how mistaken i was. I truely thought it was tel aviv
It wasn't until 2017 that Trump made the US acknowledge Jerusalem, rather than Tel Aviv, as the capital.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
It wasn't until 2017 that Trump made the US acknowledge Jerusalem, rather than Tel Aviv, as the capital.
No, that is just a change of embassy that, to avoid conflict, contries mantained it in tel aviv. For what i read, west jerusalem had been considered israel capital for a few decades already. I dont know why i didnt know that

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
No, that is just a change of embassy that, to avoid conflict, contries mantained it in tel aviv. For what i read, west jerusalem had been considered israel capital for a few decades already. I dont know why i didnt know that
Jerusalem has been the capital since 1949. Countries have kept their embassies in Tel Aviv to avoid implicitly recognizing this, as the status of Jerusalem remains officially unresolved and is supposed to be settled by negotiation.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Jerusalem has been the capital since 1949. Countries have kept their embassies in Tel Aviv to avoid implicitly recognizing this, as the status of Jerusalem remains officially unresolved and is supposed to be settled by negotiation.
Didnt become the capital after the 1967? Is what i read recently

2cents

Scout
Didnt become the capital after the 1967? Is what i read recently
You can read Ben Gurion’s December 1949 declaration of Jerusalem as the capital here -https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/prime-minister-ben-gurion-on-jerusalem

The 1967 war and subsequent annexation brought East Jerusalem and the Old City under Israeli control, but by then West Jerusalem had been the capital for 17 years.

It is absolutely standard in Arabic media for Tel Aviv to be referenced as the capital.

Last edited:

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
That's disgraceful from a man of that position. Typical, but disgraceful. It was an asymmetrical war-concentration-camp (with periodic flashes), it is now a genocide. There's no shade of grey. No one, sane, justifies what Hamas does but no one, sane-cognizant of the situation, historically, pretends that they could not see it coming. You can only push a people so far. It was written in this thread (iirc) that there would be a reaction and that you couldn't justify it but you also could not fail to understand it. By the same token, I understand the Israeli reaction, immediately, but am absolutely baffled by how far they've taken it.

2% of all Gazan children either murdered or injured directly. That's a genocide.

Who, bar a very few, is actually defending Hamas? None. The burden is on the state which is going about ethnic cleansing and genocide and calls itself a state, recognized by the majority of the world, a not a militia with diaspora links to a nascent, if seemingly implausible, Palestinian state.

Well said. Excellent post.

As for the recent German quotes coming out. Wow! It seems that they are so fecking scared to say anything against Israel because they feel immense regret and embarrassed about the holocaust or because they fear that if they do stand up and say anything then instantly they will be labeled Nazis again and have to face accusations of never changing and ultimately wanting the end of Jews. It's unbelievable that they don't realise that acting the way they are doing will ultimately harm them far more.

Rachel Riley.... Well, she's absolutely stunning and has an amazing brain, but she's also a nasty piece of work and stories of her have been out for years about how much of a nasty, spiteful, arrogant bitch she is.

I'm ashamed she's a United fan and I think she must go to the top of the list of the worst fans we have. Even worse than Kim Jong Un.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
You can read Ben Gurion’s December 1949 declaration of Jerusalem as the capital here -https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/prime-minister-ben-gurion-on-jerusalem

The 1967 war and subsequent annexation brought East Jerusalem and the Old City under Israeli control, but by then West Jerusalem had been the capital for 17 years.

It is absolutely standard in Arabic media for Tel Aviv to be referenced as the capital.
But what makes a state a state and a capital a capital? The internal will or the external recognition?

As i read more about it, israel had its capital as west jerusalem as you said in 1949. It was in 1967 that considered the whole jerusalem as its capital. But the big majority of the world including the UN doesnt recognize it till trump in US. Just a few countries did the same even australia that later on went back on the recognition

2cents

Scout
But what makes a state a state and a capital a capital? The internal will or the external recognition?

As i read more about it, israel had its capital as west jerusalem as you said in 1949. It was in 1967 that considered the whole jerusalem as its capital. But the big majority of the world including the UN doesnt recognize it till trump in US. Just a few countries did the same even australia that later on went back on the recognition
I would say the reality is that the Israeli government, including its parliament (the Knesset) and ministries, has been located there since 1949, and the state has regarded Jerusalem as its capital since then. The rest of the world is under no obligation to recognize these facts as indicating or legitimizing anything in particular, but the logical extension of adopting this stance is to deny that Israel has any capital at all.

I don't really understand what it is you think changed in 1967 in regards to the city's capital status? We refer to the Israeli controlled part from 1948 to 1967 as "West Jerusalem", but that is just to acknowledge an arbitrary and short-lived division determined by the results of the 1948 war. Physically partitioning the city was not part of any international plan or consensus that I'm aware of. The world refused to recognize Jerusalem as the capital from 1949 to 1967, and has largely continued to do so since then.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Two US doctors on Israel's unprecedented brutality and sheer cruelty in its conducting of the Gaza genocide. They describe the intentional destruction of hospitals, medical facilities, and ambulances, the killing, maiming, torture and kidnapping of the medical personel. Everything is done so the injured have little to chance to survive and there's no functional healthcare system, even after the war criminals leave. If they ever leave.

Israel has dropped so much American ordnance on Gaza that it now exceeds the explosive force of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.

"A 2 years old girl was shot in the head, twice".

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

jadaba

Giggsyking

I know we discussed her before, but how can this piece of shit of a human filth still get air time?

Idxomer

According to the same account above, 13000 are missing in addition to the 33000 officially dead.

Idxomer

Also, leaks from the negotiating delegation on Israel's Channel 12

-The negotiations in their current form may continue for an additional year

- An exchange deal could have been reached two months ago, and during this period we lost the lives of many hostages, and Netanyahu did not listen to us.