Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

the_cliff

They achieved victory against the children of Gaza which was one of the war's aims.
True, although that's a double-edged sword as it also makes sure Hamas has it's highest ever conscripts next time and also did irreversible damage to Israels popularity worldwide.

Idxomer

Also, leaks from the negotiating delegation on Israel's Channel 12

-The negotiations in their current form may continue for an additional year

- An exchange deal could have been reached two months ago, and during this period we lost the lives of many hostages, and Netanyahu did not listen to us.
Just a reminder that every time Biden says a ceasefire is in Hamas' hands, he's lying for Netanyahu's benefit. He knows there's no deal to be made with the constraints Netanyahu is putting on his negotiating team.

Giggsyking

Just a reminder that every time Biden says a ceasefire is in Hamas' hands, he's lying for Netanyahu's benefit. He knows there's no deal to be made with the constraints Netanyahu is putting on his negotiating team.
I dont know how assassinating 3 sons of Haniyah and 4 grandchildren will help the negotiations?

Idxomer

True, although that's a double-edged sword as it also makes sure Hamas has it's highest ever conscripts next time and also did irreversible damage to Israels popularity worldwide.
I don't know, I think ultimately they are betting on people forgetting with time. If they ethnically cleanse Palestinians from Gaza or keep thinning the population, it's a job well done and they can live with the hate for a while. They are also stealing West Bank lands at an unprecedented rate in the last 6 months. These are their real goals, their declared war objectives are mostly for Western consumption.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I would say the reality is that the Israeli government, including its parliament (the Knesset) and ministries, has been located there since 1949, and the state has regarded Jerusalem as its capital since then. The rest of the world is under no obligation to recognize these facts as indicating or legitimizing anything in particular, but the logical extension of adopting this stance is to deny that Israel has any capital at all.

I don't really understand what it is you think changed in 1967 in regards to the city's capital status? We refer to the Israeli controlled part from 1948 to 1967 as "West Jerusalem", but that is just to acknowledge an arbitrary and short-lived division determined by the results of the 1948 war. Physically partitioning the city was not part of any international plan or consensus that I'm aware of. The world refused to recognize Jerusalem as the capital from 1949 to 1967, and has largely continued to do so since then.
On your question, i refer on the jerusalem declaration in 1967 (all of this is new to me, so i am learning bits and pieces while i am discussing this) were israel "annexed" and expanded their control the boundaries of the city to east jerusalem ammending their law from 1949 that considered the part of jerusalem that they controlled. I guess they couldnt declare the whole city before bc it was under jordanian rule? They even illegally deported the palestinian mayor of west jerusalem

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
On your question, i refer on the jerusalem declaration in 1967 (all of this is new to me, so i am learning bits and pieces while i am discussing this) were israel "annexed" and expanded their control the boundaries of the city to east jerusalem ammending their law from 1949 that considered the part of jerusalem that they controlled. I guess they couldnt declare the whole city before bc it was under jordanian rule? They even illegally deported the palestinian mayor of west jerusalem
Yes Israel annexed East Jerusalem after 1967, but they claimed the city as a whole as the capital in 1949 and never recognized Jordanian rule or the Green Line running through the centre of the city as legitimate or permanent. You can get a good sense of this from a different speech given by Ben Guerin in December 1949 - https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.or...-on-moving-the-capital-of-israel-to-jerusalem

There are no references to “West Jerusalem” there, and in fact the section of the city he refers to most - the Old City, with the most important holy sites - was under Jordanian rule as he spoke, and remained so until 1967.

Meanwhile the international consensus never recognized the city’s physical partition from 48-67 as a permanent settlement or solution either, as internationalization was still the standard consensus then. It’s only since 1967 that a consensus has emerged suggesting the city be partitioned again within the broader two-state framework. But there is debate over the exact practicalities of this, as a real, physical partition with an international border running through the heart of the city seems unfeasible (it’s an awful idea in my personal opinion), while shared sovereignty obviously presents its own challenges.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I don't know, I think ultimately they are betting on people forgetting with time. If they ethnically cleanse Palestinians from Gaza or keep thinning the population, it's a job well done and they can live with the hate for a while. They are also stealing West Bank lands at an unprecedented rate in the last 6 months. These are their real goals, their declared war objectives are mostly for Western consumption.

It's an utter shit show. Few can agree with Hamas or thier actions, but the Israeli response is just evil. It's planned, calculated and it has systematically destroyed everything that was Gaza. The human death toll and suffering is on a scalei honestly don't think many comprehend. But beyond that it's the systematic destruction of everything else.

Israel control water and food, so that was stopped. Then they have destroyed the entire health system, hospitals, clinics, surgeries. School, colleges and universities for education. Roads and bridges. Housing, farm land, parks, museums, churches, mosques, holy sites, graveyards, anything that held any historic value or cultural importance has been wiped out. The same as anywhere that provided healthcare or food or aid has gone.

The death toll is sickening, but look deeper and there has been a concentrated effort to ensure not only did people leave, but if and when this ends, there is absolutely nothing for them to return to. They have destroyed everything including the history and cultural identity of the Gaza strip.

While they have been doing that they have upped the attacks and land grab of the West Bank too. It's like they have terraformed the entire Gaza region and because all the focus is on that area the attacks on the West Bank have gone pretty much unnoticed or reported by the media.

I've always wondered if Hamas were in Israel's position with the power, weapons and international backing and support, would they have done anything differently? I don't think they would. They would have jumped at the chance to do this. So instead of Palestinians suffering you would have Israeli's. The common factor is innocent people suffer no matter what.

The only difference I can see is that Hamas and the Palestinians have reason. Israel does not. It never has. But looking at it logically, it's no different now than it was decades ago. Two states is never going to happen unless the rest of the world enforce it and uphold it and defend it. Permanently placed peacekeepers between the two was an option, but I'm not sure it is now.

For one, there is nothing for Palestinians to return to, so there is nothing to defend. For two, Israel has just put a target on every single Jewish persons back, house & business. Generations of Palestinians will grow up wanting revenge or justice, but on top of that they have lost all support from the majority of the rest of the worlds population and many governments. That's something that may take decades to repair. You have Americans supporting Russia now so it's not impossible, but none of that helps the Palestinians.

I know the tide is slowly turning but all we are seeing is Israel being condemned or some of their actions questions or placed under scrutiny. Even if they are held accountable none of that helps the Palestinians or Gaza or solves the ever growing settler problem in the West Bank. That's the real issue and where the focus should be. Punishing one old man won't do anything for the millions without homes or a future to look forward to. Although I agree people should be punished and held accountable, but at the same time a huge effort between all foreign countries should be made to help rebuild and help the Palestinians rebuild their land and while that is happening we need security forces to protect people on both sides.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Yes Israel annexed East Jerusalem after 1967, but they claimed the city as a whole as the capital in 1949 and never recognized Jordanian rule or the Green Line running through the centre of the city as legitimate or permanent. You can get a good sense of this from a different speech given by Ben Guerin in December 1949 - https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.or...-on-moving-the-capital-of-israel-to-jerusalem

There are no references to “West Jerusalem” there, and in fact the section of the city he refers to most - the Old City, with the most important holy sites - was under Jordanian rule as he spoke, and remained so until 1967.

Meanwhile the international consensus never recognized the city’s physical partition from 48-67 as a permanent settlement or solution either, as internationalization was still the standard consensus then. It’s only since 1967 that a consensus has emerged suggesting the city be partitioned again within the broader two-state framework. But there is debate over the exact practicalities of this, as a real, physical partition with an international border running through the heart of the city seems unfeasible (it’s an awful idea in my personal opinion), while shared sovereignty obviously presents its own challenges.
I appreciate your time clarifying this information. I like to know these facts properly. Thanks a lot

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Good, countries should do it unilaterally.
A combined recognition sends a better message than droplets of countries that get lost in the news cycle and Israel trying to bully them like with Ireland

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Shameful country.
You better get the whole information about the incident before you insult Germany.

At this event the radical Palestinian activist Salman Abu Sitta spoke via video conference despite being banned from entering Germany and of any political activity. Abu Sitta vigorously defended the Hamas massacre on October 7th and further said: "If he were younger, he would have taken part in the terrorist attack himself."

While I'm all for free speech but there are limits and this nutter definitely broke them.
Everybody who knows our history, will understand that such people and/or events will never have a place or voice in Germany.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Yuval Abraham Co-Director of the Awarded "No Other Land", and whom German media and politicians had the fecking gall to accuse of anti-semitism because of his speech at the Berlinale to end the occupation and Apartheid in Palestinian territories, on the AI programs "Lavender" and "Where's My Daddy" (how tasteful).

The first program was designed to churn out kill lists in Gaza "with little human oversight". The second one tracks the targets on the kill list, allowing the most moral war criminals in the world to purposedly strike them at home, at night when they're with their families.

For a low-ranking Hamas militant (verified or alledged) up to 20 people as collateral damage is considered acceptable, and not worth the use of a guided bomb. A dumb one is enough. For a high-ranking one, up to 300.

Bone chilling and worth the watch.

Giggsyking

You better get the whole information about the incident before you insult Germany.

At this event the radical Palestinian activist Salman Abu Sitta spoke via video conference despite being banned from entering Germany and of any political activity. Abu Sitta vigorously defended the Hamas massacre on October 7th and further said: "If he were younger, he would have taken part in the terrorist attack himself."

While I'm all for free speech but there are limits and this nutter definitely broke them.
Everybody who knows our history, will understand that such people and/or events will never have a place or voice in Germany.
Germany has done enough to embarrass itself, I am not basing my assessment solely on this incident, why was Dr Ghassan banned from entering the country?

Last edited:

Giggsyking

Yuval Abraham Co-Director of the Awarded "No Other Land", and whom German media and politicians had the fecking gall to accuse of anti-semitism because of his speech at the Berlinale to end the occupation and Apartheid in Palestinian territories, on the AI programs "Lavender" and "Where's My Daddy" (how tasteful).

The first program was designed to churn out kill lists in Gaza "with little human oversight". The second one tracks the targets on the kill list, allowing the most moral war criminals in the world to purposedly strike them at home, at night when they're with their families.

For a low-ranking Hamas militant (verified or alledged) up to 20 people as collateral damage is considered acceptable, and not worth the use of a guided bomb. A dumb one is enough. For a high-ranking one, up to 300.

Bone chilling and worth the watch.

@B. Munich

Giggsyking

Is the Israeli president who said "there are no civilians in Gaza" to give the green light for murdering 13k child banned from entering Germany?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Totally normal country.

‘Investigators’ dressed as ultra Orthodox Jews are going around arresting other Jews waving Palestinian flags.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

The nutter aside, Germany has been on a mission to completely shut down any attempt to criticize any pro-Palestinian voice.

Just like you, Germany's been nitpicking and hiding behind its (shameful) recent past, just like Israel is hiding behind the Holocaust. Anything goes to justify and unconditionally support the occupation and current atrocities committed in Gaza, and the Stasi like crackdown in the whole country since 10/7. Two wrongs don't make a right and Germany's stance in the last six months has been puke worthy, whether you like or not. And it will be reminded of it again in the coming decades.

And yes, I have a pretty good knowledge of Germany's history, which goes way beyond WWII.

So please, spare us the hypocritical pathos.

Last edited:

AllezLesDiables

Of course they do. Germany never got rid of it's Nazi element. The worst offenders either fled to Argentina and/or were employed by the United States and other western powers. Certainlt there were some rules put in, but there's a reason why there's decent amount of support for the AFD.

Idxomer

During the last three days of Eid holidays, Israeli military kidnapped at least 50 Palestinians across the West Bank including a child from Hebron, and former captives that they had held and released only to be kidnapped again.

What’s happening inside Israeli prisons is horrifying. Thousands are being tortured, children, elderly, men, women. Starved, beaten, tear-gassed inside their captivity cells.

At least 14 Palestinian captives have been killed inside Israeli captivity since October 7th from the West Bank alone in an unprecedented and alarming rate of murder at the hands of Israeli guards.

At least two of the captives were killed by beating by Israeli forces.

On April 27, 2020 my cousin Nour Barghouti was killed inside Israeli prisons. We appealed for an investigation and warned that this will intensify, Israel and media portrayed his killing as “suicide.”

He was only 23. Killed in Negev Torture facility.

Now his older sister, Handar, a mother and loving wife has been held in captivity for a month.

We’re not safe. None of us are, and our grief is so much older than these last months.

Ten years ago today, I was in Hasharon prison bearing witness at the age of 20 how ugly these prisons are from the inside and this was ten years ago. The torture style has intensified and become horrifying.

I was arrested and charged (falsely) with throwing stones despite video evidence proving otherwise, I spent a week in prison and was coerced to sign a plea deal that I participated in an “illegal gathering”

I literally put my hands up in front of a soldier who was about to shoot a child, so the soldier sent me to prison for a week. I can’t imagine the pains of our captives today.

We need to do better. These psychopaths are deranged and have both weapons and impunity.

Arms embargo! Diplomatic ties should be immediately suspended, and this rogue regime needs to be stopped.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Of course they do. Germany never got rid of it's Nazi element. The worst offenders either fled to Argentina and/or were employed by the United States and other western powers. Certainlt there were some rules put in, but there's a reason why there's decent amount of support for the AFD.
Be real, you just can't get rid of every bad apple and that's not specific to Germany.

The complete "denazification" was simply impossible to achieve if you wanted to have a functioning Germany in any meaningful sense of the term. You also just can can't kill an idea, the best thing you can do is to offer a better alternative and from this particular point of view, Germany did a remarkable job after WWII all things considered. Light-years ahead of Japan for example.

That's one of the most oversimplified shortcuts I've seen on this thread.

Last edited:

AllezLesDiables

Be real, you just can't get rid of every bad apple and that's not specific to Germany.

The complete "denazification" was simply impossible to achieve if you wanted to have a functioning Germany in any meaningful sense of the term. You just can can't kill an idea, the best thing you can do is to offer a better alternative. Germany did a very good job after WWII, all things considered.

That's one of the most ridiculous shortcuts I've seen on this thread.
It's ridiculous to you because you swallowed the propaganda hook line and sinker. This isn't even a contested point save for those who are not aware of the history.

https://www.theholocaustexplained.org/survival-and-legacy/postwar-trials-and-denazification/

https://www.museumoftolerance.com/education/archives-and-reference-library/online-resources/simon-wiesenthal-center-annual-volume-4/annual-4-chapter-3.html

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Yeah, no.

Even more so if the two links you posted can't be reached.