Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
that the country is officially and rightfully accused of complicity in the Gaza genocide, they're doubling down on their support of Israel.
Can you elaborate why Germany is accused of genocide? What is Germany doing differently than the UK or US?
Never heard of that except for the Holocaust of course.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
seems to be massive violence in the west bank but nothing on the guardian website, just saw a post here from @Amir and random posts on twitter

ScholesyTheWise

seems to be massive violence in the west bank but nothing on the guardian website, just saw a post here from @Amir and random posts on twitter
Yeah, an Israeli journalist who was there taking photos of settlers damaging Palestinian property (after a Jewish teenager was murdered yesterday, don't know the full details),

the settlers ended up beating the journalist. lovely bunch.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Germans would want to be on high alert, their leaders are getting very authoritarian. Interesting given the legalisation of weed and the loosening of trans laws, perhaps they're throwing out these decent policies to keep the average German's mind away from the genocide their country is sponsoring.
Not even sure these are good policies more a symptom of how ideologically corrupted everything is nowadays and how nothing makes sense.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I didn't decide anything. It's the German government which made the decision to ban him from entering the country and any political activity here.
I'm pretty sure the people who made this decision had much better information and knowledge than you or I have.
Well you did decide something because you said you don't follow Palestinian extremists.

Ah yep they've made the decision so they must be right. Just like when the West Germans doubled down on support of apartheid south Africa when even other Western countries were dropping it....they must have have had better information and knowledge than I had.

And when the UK and USA designated Mandela as a terrorist.....they must have had more information than we did right?

And when the USA fecked Iraq, they must have had better information than us right?

And when Germany offered helmets to Ukraine....etc etc etc.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Just like when the West Germans doubled down on support of apartheid south Africa when even other Western countries were dropping it
Seriously? This happened in cold war times back in the 80s. I'm sure you also know that the GDR supported the ANC at that time. Thus it was mainly having a common enemy, your enemy is also my enemy.

World politics are never black and white and you sometimes you have to make alliances you rather wouldn't.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Seriously? This happened in cold war times back in the 80s. I'm sure you also know that the GDR supported the ANC at that time. Thus it was mainly having a common enemy, your enemy is also my enemy. World politics are never black and white and you sometimes you have to make alliances you rather wouldn't.
Your entire argument so far has been that Germany's politics re: Israel must be black or white!

Last edited:

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
But you don't even believe this. Your entire argument so far has been that Germany's politics re: Israel must be black or white!
Again it doesn't matter what I believe, this is completely irrelevant.
Germany's relationship with Israel is of a very special kind due to the Holocaust that cost over 6 million Jewish lives.
In Germany, the support of Israel is a reason of state. Like it or not, it's just fact.

I don't think it's much different than the stance the UK, France or the US take.

Idxomer

The possibility of finding anyone who isn't complicit there is unsurprisingly low.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
whataboutery and selective facts.

I will deal with each of your points in turn:

1. should Israel have been established on Palestinian land? No. Should it now exist? Yes, as I don’t believe in now displacing a whole other population of people as well. A two state solution is the only realistic solution. But Israel should not continue in its current form with its current leadership, which has a genocidal agenda aimed at wiping out a whole population.

2. There was no Palestinian state before 1948: according to whom? The West? The UN? Who gets to say whether a people are a people or nation? It was under Ottoman rule and then British administration before 1948. So what? India was under British rule until 1947, does that not make India a nation?

if we are talking about who has a claim to that land, and if Zionists want to make it a biblical conversation about the land of Canaan, then we should look at what made up Canaan and who made up Canaan. It was on what we now call Palestine/Israel, Jordan and Lebanon. Therefore, the people of all those places could stake a claim to that land. It was not however, solely a Jewish land. Israeli Zionists say that they are the only real democracy and secular country in the Middle East, yet they also believe in Israel being a country only for Jews. So which is it, are you a secular democracy or a theocracy?

3. wars have happened all over the world and populations have moved. What is your point? That the Palestinians should just accept what’s happened to them? Would you? Would for example, Italy accept seizure of their land and just ‘move on?’ Of course not. They would fight, as the Palestinians are doing. It’s absurd to suggest they do anything else.

BTW 1: why would Jordan have anything to do with this conversation? Are they the mouthpiece or representation of Palestine? Stop bundling all Muslim or Arab people and countries into the same basket as if they all speak and act in unison. The fact it didn’t happen under Jordanian administration is a completely different question as to why Israel has acted the way it has and continues to do so.

BTW 2:

Do I have a problem with how Egypt have conducted themselves? Of course. They are not blameless and their submission to Israel’s wishes and the mess along the Philidelphi border is a massive problem. But last time I checked it wasn’t Egyptian bombs blowing up Palestinians and orphaning almost 20,000 children, leaving thousands more missing limbs, living in a tent in the cold and without food or water.
1. With all of Israel's weapons and military power, if it realy does hold a genocidel agenda (it doesn't), that it is very bad at implemeting it. Up until the October 7th massacre Gazans civilians were allowed to come into Israel to work, despite being ruled by murderous terror groups such is the Jihad and Hamas. Despite being bombarded with ten's of thousands of rockets i nthe past 20 years since the disengagement plan, Israel did everything in it's power to avoid sending ground troops inside Gaza. Hamas knew full well the consquences of carrying out such deadly attacks, yet you seem more concerned with what Israel had done since October 7th than the simple fact that there was a ceasefire up until October 7th, We didn't want this war and this war did feck all for the palestinian population. Some power hungey, blood hungry maniacs burst through out borders to kill as many of us as possible, and they were unfortunetly very successful in that task. Show me another way to end that right now without any more human suffering and I will adopt it in a heartbit. Everything was tried in the past, any sort of palestinian autonomy ended up with thousand of dead israelis.

2. According to facts. All countries are based on recognized international borders as agreed upon. This is the basis of modern human law and order. Jews have lived on this land, and purchased lands on this territory legaly and willingly long before the UN resolution. You want to claim that every inch of land belonged to a certain part of the population? it's your right, but a lot of borders changed between WWI and WWII and afterwards, and you seem to be troubled only by a very particular one.

3. Palestinians should accept that a return to Haifa and Tel Aviv is not an option, and should first and first most build a governing body that isn't sponsoring nor perpetrating terror. Once that happens, the majority of Israeli's are more than open for solutions that would allow all of us the live our lives. No one knows how such a solution would look, but we all want that day to come.

BTW1 - It's a point I made to clarify that the two state solution only came about after Jordan lost the West Bank. Before that there was no call for a two state solution, but simply for the anahilation of the jewish state. And that call maybe went quite in the face of modern diplomacy but is still being taught at schools and appearing in Hamas and PA charters.

BTW2 - Your'e much less vocal about that criticism. Maybe theres a reason their border is blocked, perhaps it's because, I dont know, they are being controlled by a deranged terror group? just a thought.

oh and BTW you do realise that Israel was not a nation before 1948 either? Palestine was more of a nation than Israel before 1948. so what point are you trying to make?
Exactly, It was not, a lot of borders changed around the world post WWII and so did this one.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
1. With all of Israel's weapons and military power, if it realy does hold a genocidel agenda (it doesn't), that it is very bad at implemeting it. Up until the October 7th massacre Gazans civilians were allowed to come into Israel to work, despite being ruled by murderous terror groups such is the Jihad and Hamas. Despite being bombarded with ten's of thousands of rockets i nthe past 20 years since the disengagement plan, Israel did everything in it's power to avoid sending ground troops inside Gaza. Hamas knew full well the consquences of carrying out such deadly attacks, yet you seem more concerned with what Israel had done since October 7th than the simple fact that there was a ceasefire up until October 7th, We didn't want this war and this war did feck all for the palestinian population. Some power hungey, blood hungry maniacs burst through out borders to kill as many of us as possible, and they were unfortunetly very successful in that task. Show me another way to end that right now without any more human suffering and I will adopt it in a heartbit. Everything was tried in the past, any sort of palestinian autonomy ended up with thousand of dead israelis.

I seriously don't have time to debate the rest of your points, but I can't let this stand. Are you fecking kidding me? You seriously believe all that? Wow.

Setting aside everything you wrote being biased, devoid of fact and also incredibly offensive you are also leaving out nearly every reason why Hamas were created in the first place.

Again, I do not condone or support or defend Hamas but they were created for a reason. Both sides have been wrong and neither are innocent but you can't paint Israel as the victim here.

Palestinians were allowed to come to Israel to work? Oh, how very fecking kind of Israel. A ceasefire? Yeah, right. Maybe no military involvement but thousands of Palestinians were arrested and held prisoners without charge, beaten, tortured and not released. Women raped, thousands murdered. The continual stealing of land and terrorising Palestinians in the West Bank and other Occupied Palestinian Territories, while those living in Gaza were forced to live under apartheid conditions many described as the biggest open air prison in the world and goes against the Rome Statute and Apartheid Convention.

Israel control the water supply, power supplies, internet (where available) and most food sources. They control everything that goes in and out of Gaza and impose curfews and embargos, they refuse citizenship and they force Palestinians to live under constant oppression.

But yeah, as you said... Everything was tried and the Palestinians were allowed to go to work and essentially it's all their fault.

To add, I want to point out my heart goes out to all those Israelis who suffered from Hamas attacks over the years and try to understand the fear they must feel. But two wrongs don't make a right and yet again it's the innocent people who end up suffering.

ScholesyTheWise

The possibility of finding anyone who isn't complicit there is unsurprisingly low.
weird take both by you and the person who is behind the tweet.
This doesn't have solely to do with Gaza or people for/against Netanyahu.

Pav1878

2. According to facts. All countries are based on recognized international borders as agreed upon. This is the basis of modern human law and order. Jews have lived on this land, and purchased lands on this territory legaly and willingly long before the UN resolution. You want to claim that every inch of land belonged to a certain part of the population? it's your right, but a lot of borders changed between WWI and WWII and afterwards, and you seem to be troubled only by a very particular one.

3. Palestinians should accept that a return to Haifa and Tel Aviv is not an option, and should first and first most build a governing body that isn't sponsoring nor perpetrating terror. Once that happens, the majority of Israeli's are more than open for solutions that would allow all of us the live our lives. No one knows how such a solution would look, but we all want that day to come.

BTW1 - It's a point I made to clarify that the two state solution only came about after Jordan lost the West Bank. Before that there was no call for a two state solution, but simply for the anahilation of the jewish state. And that call maybe went quite in the face of modern diplomacy but is still being taught at schools and appearing in Hamas and PA charters.

BTW2 - Your'e much less vocal about that criticism. Maybe theres a reason their border is blocked, perhaps it's because, I dont know, they are being controlled by a deranged terror group? just a thought.

Exactly, It was not, a lot of borders changed around the world post WWII and so did this one.
1. Genocide is defined by the 1948 Genocide Act as any of five "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group". These five acts were: killing members of the group, causing them serious bodily or mental harm, imposing living conditions intended to destroy the group, preventing births, and forcibly transferring children out of the group. Victims are targeted because of their real or perceived membership of a group, not randomly.’

Israel know full well that if they were to kill every single Palestinian in one go they would not garner international support. That is why it has been a systematic process over a period of time.

It is also ironic that the genocide convention was introduced to prevent horrible things like the a holocaust happening again, yet the Jews of Israel have committed the same atrocities against another people. The Jews should know better.

2. My point is that there is no single people who can claim that land. It has been occupied by many. Therefore, it is wrong to suggest that land is solely for the Jews.

3. A return to Haifa and Tel Aviv may be unrealistic. But similarly they should not be pushed off the land they do have either, which what Israel are trying to do. The language used by Israeli politicians has been nothing short of genocidal. To eliminate, starve, dehumanise and displace all Palestinians from their land, in order to take the gas supplies off the coast of Gaza no doubt and move settlers in to the Gaza Strip.

You want to talk about governing bodies who perpetrate terror? Have a look at your own for it has committed the most heinous acts of the last 100 years. The Palestinians could ask you the same question. Come back to the negotiating table when you don’t have racist, far right, extremists in charge such as Ben Gvir and Smotrich , who was part of a proscribed terrorist organisation before becoming a policitician. The Irgun who killed thousands of Palestinians in 1948 were also a terrorist organisation. So your whole country is built on terrorism. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

BTW 1: you do realise what is being taught in Israeli schools? Teaching children to hate Arabs and want to kill them. Teaching your next generation to think fo Palestinians as lesser humans or not human at all. No wonder your IDF soldiers have committed such war crimes when they see Palestinians as less than human.

BTW 2: the border is controlled by Israel. So yes I agree, it is being controlled by a deranged terror group.

Giggsyking

I don't buy that Israel is committing genocide. If they are then they are really bad at it. Hamas OTOH have it written into their charter.
I do buy that Israel is pursuing ethnic cleansing in Gaza though.
What you buy and not buy is irrelevant, what we see with our own eyes is more relevant, the Bosnian genocide was far less in number than the Gaza one, yet was clearly considered genocide. Another thing, check the Likud charter, its the same as Hamas, except Hamas changed their to look more moderate, but not the Likud.

Revan

Assumptionman
So answer here.
Yeah, the US has declared Hamas a terrorist organization, and have been helping Israel to wipe them out, so any strategic asset of the US is a far game to be attacked by Hamas. Especially, if in that place are some of the chief strategists of US who are telling Israel how to effectively wipe out Hamas.

How that would help Hamas is another matter of course, but I do not think they have ever been great at strategic thinking.

Denis79

1. With all of Israel's weapons and military power, if it realy does hold a genocidel agenda (it doesn't).
Oh but it does, The politicians in Israel say it openly, the civilians call for it and the military intentionally targets innocent, punish aid workers. The only thing restraining them is that they still need the West. Without the West Israel would be gone in a few years.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Again it doesn't matter what I believe, this is completely irrelevant.
Germany's relationship with Israel is of a very special kind due to the Holocaust that cost over 6 million Jewish lives.
In Germany, the support of Israel is a reason of state. Like it or not, it's just fact.

I don't think it's much different than the stance the UK, France or the US take.
You live in a democracy. it matters what you think. You started from a position of "don't insult Germany so quickly" to a "Alas, we have no choice but to support Israel unconditionally, but also surely the people involved know better than you and I, despite history telling us otherwise all the time. we also had to support south African apartheid because reasons."

Have a fecking word with yourself on how much of your morals you really want to sacrifice on the altar of fatalistic patriotism.

Revan

Assumptionman
Quoted from the other thread cause I think it is more suitable for here:

That's precisely my point. A (fair) resolution to the Palestinian situation weakens Iran's moral and power leverage, and is a path that benefits everyone (except the Mullahs and Israeli supremacists).
What does a fair solution (that does not involve removing Jews from Israel) look for Palestinians that they a) are ready to accept and b) Israel is ready to accept? Cause it get mentioned many times, but no one explains what is that solution.

Ehud Barak gave as a fair solution as it can be in 2000. He pretty much accepted every demand that Palestinians/Araft had and was ready to sign it, only for Arafat in the last hour to decide to not sign the deal and not proposing a counter-deal. That directly caused Barak to lose power and for an extremist (Ariel Sharon) to gain power.

Now, since 2000 the situation in terrain has changed quite a bit, and the balance of power between Israel and Palestine has massively shifted even more in favour of the former, with Palestinians being divided into 2 camps that essentially fight each other and have separate governments etc. I think anyone knows that whatever deal Israel might give won't be as good as that in 2000, and Palestinians didn't even accept that one.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

What does a fair solution (that does not involve removing Jews from Israel) look for Palestinians that they a) are ready to accept and b) Israel is ready to accept? Cause it get mentioned many times, but no one explains what is that solution.

Ehud Barak gave as a fair solution as it can be in 2000. He pretty much accepted every demand that Palestinians/Araft had and was ready to sign it, only for Arafat in the last hour to decide to not sign the deal and not proposing a counter-deal. That directly caused Barak to lose power and for an extremist (Ariel Sharon) to gain power.

Now, since 2000 the situation in terrain has changed quite a bit, and the balance of power between Israel and Palestine has massively shifted even more in favour of the former, with Palestinians being divided into 2 camps that essentially fight each other and have separate governments etc. I think anyone knows that whatever deal Israel might give won't be as good as that in 2000, and Palestinians didn't even accept that one.
NO.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Again with the 2000 deal lie. FFS, how many times will have to read it.

Also asking for a fair solution that doesnt remove jews while palestinians are bring removed as we speak. But you dont even mention it. Speaking of fairness on compromises

Halftrack

What is the fair solution for you then? 'Jews leaving from where they came from?' Nope, it ain't gonna happen.
There's a sea of options in between the "fair" deal in 2000 (with no right of return for Palestinian refugees and Israel giving the Palestinians arrid land as compensation for the fertile and resource rich land they had stolen) and "all Jews must leave Israel."

Revan

Assumptionman
There's a sea of options in between the "fair" deal in 2000 (with no right of return for Palestinian refugees and Israel giving the Palestinians arrid land as compensation for the fertile and resource rich land they had stolen) and "all Jews must leave Israel."
They had the right to return to the independent Palestine, just not to Israel (except 100-150k or so).

Idxomer

Has this position ever been argued by anyone notable including the extreme elements against Israel and the ones who don't believe it should exist as a state?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Can you elaborate why Germany is accused of genocide? What is Germany doing differently than the UK or US?
Never heard of that except for the Holocaust of course.
It's because after the US, Germany is biggest supplier of arms to Israel.

Kaos

One that's in line with what the international community consensus is - in line with the 1967 borders, ending the occupation and illegal settlement colonisation of the west bank and East Jerusalem and for Israel to finally declare its borders. Its hardly an egregious claim. This whole idea that Barak offered the Palestinian's a 'fair' deal in 2000 is a contentious one at best, especially when you take in the quite frankly ridiculous stipulations that would heavily fragment Palestinian territory into a series of loosely connected Bantustans, deprive the Palestinians of any form of trade, transportation and security autonomy. Israeli former foreign minister Shlomo Ben-Ami went on record to say he himself would have rejected the deal had he been a Palestinian.

They had the right to return to the independent Palestine, just not to Israel (except 100-150k or so).
An independent Palestine the Israelis are adamant on not coming to fruition. On what planet is it palatable for any Jewish person on this planet to be able to claim Israeli citizenship and a home despite having no traceable link to the land, whereas an ethnically cleansed Palestinian with tangible claim to the land (deeds and all) isn't given the same courtesy. There's something fundamentally and morally wrong with that status quo.

Revan

Assumptionman
One that's in line with what the international community consensus is - in line with the 1967 borders, ending the occupation and illegal settlement colonisation of the west bank and East Jerusalem and for Israel to finally declare its borders. Its hardly an egregious claim. This whole idea that Barak offered the Palestinian's a 'fair' deal in 2000 is a contentious one at best, especially when you take in the quite frankly ridiculous stipulations that would heavily fragment Palestinian territory into a series of loosely connected Bantustans, deprive the Palestinians of any form of trade, transportation and security autonomy. Israeli former foreign minister Shlomo Ben-Ami went on record to say he himself would have rejected the deal had he been a Palestinian.
Oh, it is not what Palestinians wanted, but it went damn close to what you are describing. 100% of territory of Gaza, and 90% of the West Bank, parts of East Jerusalem, custodians of Al Aksa (including having the flag there), and of course, that would mean Israel defining the border.

Knowing the balance of power, it was as fair as it can get. It is also something that Palestinians will unfortunately never get, cause any possible future deal (if it ever happens, at this stage, it most likely won't), is gonna be far worse than that.

The main reasons Arafat did not accept the deal were not cause of land. It was for a) Israel (rightly so) insisted that the deal must be a final deal, which didn't satisfy Arafat's grand illusion of the entire historical Palestine being in control of Arabs, 2) the right of return, see below:

An independent Palestine the Israelis are adamant on not coming to fruition. On what planet is it palatable for any Jewish person on this planet to be able to claim Israeli citizenship and a home despite having no traceable link to the land, whereas an ethnically cleansed Palestinian with tangible claim to the land (deeds and all) isn't given the same courtesy. There's something fundamentally and morally wrong with that status quo.
Wars have consequences. While unfair, it is the truth. The modern borders of most states are a consequence of some war that sometime happened. when someone got someone else's land. Pretty much all the Palestinians who demand the right of return, have not been born there. For the vast majority, their parents have not been born there. It is a bit like Germans demanding the right of return in Konigsberg. Or Albanians to Southern Serbia. Or Albanians to Greece. Or Greeks to Albania. Or Greeks to Turkey. Or Turks to Greece. Or Hungarians to Serbia. Or Arabs/Indians to Zanzibar. I can go on for another hour but I guess you probably get my point.

You can demand it all you want, but in the geopolitical reality, there is no chance whatsoever that it will happen.

So Israel, decided that all Jews can return to Israel. A newly created Palestine could have similarly decided that all Palestinians have the right to return to Palestine. But of course, not to Israel.