Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
60 percent of Israeli Jews favor segregation from Arabs, survey finds

Some 60 percent of Israeli Jews believe it is best for Jews and Arabs to live apart, according to a survey conducted by the Israeli Democracy Institute in March of this year.

This is a significant rise compared with the rate that agreed with the same statement in April 2021, which then stood at 45 percent. Last year's survey was taken before the violent incidents that broke out in some of Israel's mixed cities during the last round of fighting in Gaza, and before the United Arab List joined the government's ruling coalition.

Among Arab respondents there was almost no change in the rate of support for living apart, which has stood at 20 percent for several years. In other words, most Jews now support segregation, compared with a constant minority among Arabs.

“The report shows a complex picture,” said Dr. Tamar Herman, who led the study. “Among Arabs there has been an intensification of their sense of discrimination as a collective, as opposed to a weakening of the perception of this discrimination among Jews. The former show a rise in the desire to participate in decision-making, and among Jews there is a declining willingness to share that privilege with them.”

She added that over the past year “there has been a decline in willingness among Jews to live in proximity to Arabs or allow them to purchase land outside of Arab municipalities.” However, recent events “have not harmed the high willingness of both groups to share workplaces.”

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...0000181-351b-dee8-aba7-3d9fdfdf0000?_amp=true

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Replace segregation with apartheid and it's a fair reflection of current day affairs.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
What law will apply to settlers now? How come Arab mks abstained?
As I understand it, technically the settlers should now be subject to the same military regime that West Bank Palestinians are. I assume the Arab MKs abstained on principle, while the entire right-wing opposition voted against it in order to try bring down this government (otherwise they'd have enthusiastically supported it, which is why it's never been an issue before now). Be interesting to see how they get around this.

neverdie

seems like israel has had non-stop elections for the past three years. nethanyahu refuses to die.

Amir

Dumb question but is Netanyahu harsher on his policies on the Palestinian stuff?
That's a complex question, as it's not just about the one man who is PM but also the the parties that are part of his coalition and the pressure they put him under.

Overall, I'd say there's not much difference between Netanyahu and Bennett.

The Corinthian

I mean, I knew that, just didn't know of the others were worse ref Palestine.

I get your point - I think the main thing re the coalition was to get rid of Bibi…which they did, with the Palestine question being more of an afterthought. The issue is they didn’t consider all the permutations of the coalition, and I believe it’s breaking up due to a difference of opinion of leavened bread (no, seriously).

Also, Bennett was only meant to be PM for two years with Lapid taking over from 2023. It would have been interesting to see Lapid take the reins.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Dumb question but is Netanyahu harsher on his policies on the Palestinian stuff?
Both Bennett and Netanyahu’s goal is slow, gradual annexation of Area C and no Palestinian state under any circumstances. While Lapid is seemingly open to a Palestinian state in theory, in practice his policies would facilitate the same result as the other two, as the kind of circumstances he would need to actually go ahead and help bring a Palestinian ‘state’ into existence are not going to materialize.

However, while as we have seen a Bennett-Lapid coalition is dependent on at least one Arab party and a scattering of other Zionist parties of various ideological impulses, the next Netanyahu-led coalition will be dependent on the Kahanists, whose goal is to foment conflict and initiate full-scale ethnic cleansing.

Amir

. The issue is they didn’t consider all the permutations of the coalition, and I believe it’s breaking up due to a difference of opinion of leavened bread (no, seriously).
They did consider it, but at the end of the day they didn't have another coalition they could form.

As for the bread stuff, it was an excuse for one of the coalition members to depart a few months ago. It did set the road to what is happening now, but really, it never had anything to do with that.

The Corinthian

Shireen Abu Aqla: UN says an Israeli shot killed Al Jazeera journalist

Israeli forces - and not Palestinian militants - shot dead a high-profile Al Jazeera journalist, the UN's human rights office has concluded.

A spokeswoman said the findings were the result of "independent monitoring" of the incident on 11 May.

The killing of Shireen Abu Aqla, who was reporting on an Israeli operation in the occupied West Bank, caused widespread outrage.

Palestinians have blamed Israel. Israel says blame cannot yet be determined.

The 51-year-old Palestinian-American journalist was one of the region's most experienced and admired correspondents.

Abu Aqla, who was wearing a protective vest with the word "Press" on it as well as a helmet, was shot in a road near where a gun-battle had taken place between Israeli forces and Palestinian militants.

Speaking to reporters in Geneva on Friday, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani said the department had found that "the shots that killed Abu Aqla and injured her colleague Ali Sammoudi came from Israeli security forces and not from indiscriminate firing by armed Palestinians, as initially claimed by Israeli authorities".
"It is deeply disturbing that Israeli authorities have not conducted a criminal investigation," she added.
She said that on the morning of the incident, four journalists turned into a street whereupon "several single, seemingly well-aimed bullets were fired towards them from the direction of the Israeli security forces.
"One single bullet injured Ali Sammoudi in the shoulder; another single bullet hit Abu Aqla in the head and killed her instantly."
Shireen Abu Aqla: UN says an Israeli shot killed Al Jazeera journalist - BBC News

There you have it @Fearless. Pretty conclusive.

Superden

stupid bullet bashing itself against a reporters head so it cant be properly assessed. must have been an anti-semitic bullet, putting the brave soldier under duress and raising issues about Israel. any Labour MP that refuses to condemn the bullet should be thrown out of politics for good.

The Corinthian

Shireen Abu Aqla: US report on journalist's death unacceptable, family says

Shireen Abu Aqla's brother has heavily criticised a US report that concluded unintentional Israeli gunfire was likely to have been responsible for the Palestinian-American reporter's death.
Tony Abu Aqla told the BBC the findings were "unacceptable" and insisted his sister was targeted by Israeli troops.
The Al Jazeera correspondent was shot in the head while covering an Israeli raid in the occupied West Bank in May.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
So, over the last few years we have pretty much concluded that Americanistan is one massive fecked up country. Governed by a fecked up form of government and judiciary and inhabited by a huge minority of cultist thickos. And this is the take of bona fide Americans on this site!

So by extension, is their support of Israel as fecked up as the apartheid system the US is nurturing there? It's time to stop slapping the child and start kicking the daddy in the bollocks. Really hard.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
So, over the last few years we have pretty much concluded that Americanistan is one massive fecked up country. Governed by a fecked up form of government and judiciary and inhabited by a huge minority of cultist thickos. And this is the take of bona fide Americans on this site!

So by extension, is their support of Israel as fecked up as the apartheid system the US is nurturing there? It's time to stop slapping the child and start kicking the daddy in the bollocks. Really hard.
I don't know what you consider bona fide. I don't agree America as a whole is the country you describe I'm sure there are others but voicing that opinion doesn't go well on this forum.