It is ever possible to speak positively about a win?

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
It is so funny that this thread come from someone who was saying that he understood fans who wanted to lose the FA Cup so LVG would leave
The old negative posters are now by comparisson the more positive ones by todays standards.

Last edited:

dichinero

The state of some fans telling other fans how they ought to enjoy a game of football is ridiculous. Superfans wannabes

Home&Away

You're talking nonsense though. Utter nonsense. Real Madrid for the last few years have been an incredible team to watch.

I've been a united fan for 36 years and I've seen us grind out 3 points when not playing well many many times. Ferguson's united sides were brilliant at it, but they didn't win every game by 2 or more goals and they used to look dodgy as hell when grinding out some of those wins they did get.
I never said Madrid played badly - I said that there club is built around winning. Simply winning for Barcelona wouldn't be enough; give them time yes but not enough. On the contrary Madrid would less likely complain about playing a particular type of football.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Believe me people moaned about some of those ground out wins under SAF as well. The thing is he won us 13 league titles that brought him a bit of leeway.
I know mate, I was around then and on occasions I used to moan that we'd played shit or failed to turn up. I used to question his team selections and wonder if he might even have had his day for a brief time in the 2004-2005 season.

It was completely daft of course, but it taught me a lot about how football really is. It's a hard grind a lot of the time if you want to win titles. You'll have spells where you play very poorly but scrape a win or rescue a draw from the jaws of defeat.

Too many FIFA playing types who think it's all about winning 5-0 every week.

ice-bionic red

We can play badly/poorly and still win a game. There’s nothing wrong with pointing that out.

GaryLifo

The state of some fans telling other fans how they ought to enjoy a game of football is ridiculous. Superfans wannabes
I'm not telling them they should enjoy anything. I'm telling them the united team currently is far from being as poor as they are claiming. I have every right to defend the team as they do to moan about them.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think it's possible to look at it from both perspectives. It was a good win and I thought we were perfectly decent in the first half, but I'll nevertheless criticise our sitting deep and struggling to hold out against a West Brom side who haven't won in the league since August.

Fully Fledged

I know mate, I was around then and on occasions I used to moan that we'd played shit or failed to turn up. I used to question his team selections and wonder if he might even have had his day for a brief time in the 2004-2005 season.

It was completely daft of course, but it taught me a lot about how football really is. It's a hard grind a lot of the time if you want to win titles. You'll have spells where you play very poorly but scrape a win or rescue a draw from the jaws of defeat.

Too many FIFA playing types who think it's all about winning 5-0 every week.
I think there are a lot of people who don't like the sitting back and inviting pressure when we are a goal or two up. It's something that I've moaned about even during SAF's time myself. SAF used to call it 'Squeaky Bum Time.' It can cause the fans unneeded heartache.

GaryLifo

I think it's possible to look at it from both perspectives. It was a good win and I thought we were perfectly decent in the first half, but I'll nevertheless criticise our sitting deep and struggling to hold out against a West Brom side who haven't won in the league since August.
And this is completely fair and accurate in my view.

dichinero

I'm not telling them they should enjoy anything. I'm telling them the united team currently is far from being as poor as they are claiming. I have every right to defend the team as they do to moan about them.
I wasn't referring to your post but how can a fan can tell another not to talk what they liked or didn't like regardless of the result defeats the purpose having discussions. We might as well all pack it in and become teletext fans and just wait for the results.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Jose is doing a fantastic job, i love the guy and he has won us trophies again and made us stable and gotten shit players performing. Like ferguson who won leagues with anderson and cleverly in midfield, he is ahead of last years champions and bar an outrageous season from city should have been top with players well below the level this club is used to. he is doing very well and i hope we can tie him down to a new deal soon back him in the window and probably win the title in his tenure. I believe if he is here for 5 years we will win a league title twice and probably win a champions league too.

I am very happy with our team and our manager. This forum has been shit and spoilt, there were never expectations like this from Moyes or LVG, then top reds said support them cnuts but right now when we actually have a good manager so many people can only about not being entertaining while we score second highest goals in the league. Even the caf has been quite shit to come too, mainly i think its people just being jealous of city, frankly they are better team as they have better players, but i think given same funds and start from scratch, mourinho would make a better team than pep. Pep had a quite a head start with money spent and so many great players alreadly been brought in,moreover he did city's shopping while being bayern's manager. United fans dont understand what a great manager we have, i hope everyone sees this and supports him as we have a manager who has earned the support and not been spoon fed by fergie. Hope we back him in january, we need to continue looking forward and be ready cause city will slip, we have to take advantage when they do.

I also think Fans are very harsh on Lukaku, its his first season, he is new to a big club, has had his most creative provider injured or suspended most ogf the time while he has even worked his arse off defensively. He has already scored 15 goals, he can hit close to 30 and that is what he has been paid to do. He was never a creator and a scorer, people need to lay off his back, if we have better players on wings and fullbacks he could score a lot lot more goals.

Fully Fledged

Gray makes some very good points.
And that's why I'm not moaning.

This season from City is unbelievable. If we can finish best of the rest then it's been a good season. Earlier in the season I was saying we need to compete this season but that's no longer a realistic option so I'll accept the next best in being best of the rest.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think it’s simply down to some never being satisfied with being ‘second best’. Depending on your age, many reds were never raised to be happy that we are the second best team, second on points and play the second best football. Everything behind us isn’t that important, the fixation is with what is above us.

City are basically ruining a very good season for us, as we know better than most sets of fans that second is just - second. It’s never been good enough and a reason to respect our rivals.

Personally, I appreciate we are having a very good season. I am also angry as I feel things could have been very different with Pogba not out for half of the season so far, and I will remain furious at our defeat to Huddersfield. Ultimately, there is no ‘gloss’ on ‘good performances’ that are so far off the mark, to the extent that we are not even in a race anymore before Christmas. The focus will always be more on the gap that we need to make up to compete again, and not the fact that we are ‘no longer shit’. No matter if we beat this team or that team, we are still second best. If it were close, I’m sure the caf would be biased and claim that we are the better side, but the argument is closed. There is no ‘feel good factor’ about that. Not for United.

Josep Dowling

There is an air of negativity clouding over the club. Jose is once again miserable because he knows the title is gone.

The thing is a lot of neutrals hate us as a club as well as Jose. The media play on this and are mocking the club with constant comparisons to City’s progress under Pep. You only have to see the difference in how Pep’s lack of success was reported by the media last season compared to Jose.

It feels like our own fans are turning against each other. This site has more new threads on City than any other subject. It’s making our fan base sound like a bunch of glory supporters. We were spoilt for too many years. And yes we should have expectations to get back to those heights but it’s quite clear to me that the squad isn’t quite good enough to properly challenge.

Can you not see progress? We are second in the league with a points tally that in most other seasons would see us top. Yes sometimes the football could be better but under Fergie we regularly performed badly at Anfield and Stamford Bridge.

Gopher Brown

The difficulty is that Guardiola has been at City for the same length of time that Mourinho has and both clubs have spent comparable amounts of money, and yet City look like the finished article and make it look effortless, whereas we look like we’re trying really hard to stand still. The results are fine, but we can never be happy with 2nd best.

Roosney

There's about 20 games left, nothing is won or lost yet. City slip up twice and we could be within 5 points.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
I think it's about game understanding and expectations: that... and that lot across the road pulling up trees for fun.
The next few weeks will be a real test of our unity and mentality, because while shitty are playing as they are, we are going to kop loads. So as a club, all we can do, is put our heads down and do what we do, the best we can, and as supporters... we dust ourselves down and get back at it.

Like the last couple of seasons, the cups will define our season now; so lets make sure we get our share again.

Gross Domestic Peasant

There is an air of negativity clouding over the club. Jose is once again miserable because he knows the title is gone.

The thing is a lot of neutrals hate us as a club as well as Jose. The media play on this and are mocking the club with constant comparisons to City’s progress under Pep. You only have to see the difference in how Pep’s lack of success was reported by the media last season compared to Jose.

It feels like our own fans are turning against each other. This site has more new threads on City than any other subject. It’s making our fan base sound like a bunch of glory supporters. We were spoilt for too many years. And yes we should have expectations to get back to those heights but it’s quite clear to me that the squad isn’t quite good enough to properly challenge.

Can you not see progress? We are second in the league with a points tally that in most other seasons would see us top. Yes sometimes the football could be better but under Fergie we regularly performed badly at Anfield and Stamford Bridge.
That gets to the heart of it. A lot of media are in raptures over what's happening at City, whether reporters or anyone allowed to express an opinion on a website. It's all allowed.

It used to be the case that United could rightfully claim that the hate/resentment aimed at them was exclusively because of their dominance. That made supporters immune to any kind of outside criticism, as they knew better than anyone that it boiled down to simple jealousy.

But you don't have that comfort now. The criticism comes from reasons you might argue against (such as quality of football when compared to United's own past, or that of those who are widely considered the best and happen to be your direct rivals), but mostly for no other reason than there's plenty of people who take great pleasure in seeing United struggle (which is harder to refute).

You've undergone a fall from grace, which is being steadied at best. Unfortunately though, another club have the nerve to come from the same city and to resemble the United of old. Tough to swallow for some, but glorious for others.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Look, we've played 27 games in all comps. We've won 20 of these, drawn 3 and lost 5. That's 75% win percentage i.e. we win far, far more than we lose yet, and no can deny this, all season, we've criticised everyone and everything United related. I mean, you have to be doing something right, if you can win a large majority of the games you play? But not according to RedCafe. There HAS to be something to complain about.
Look, your maths is poor.

This is what I'm choosing to complain about today.

Erebus

Moanings fine. It’s the extent & vitriol of the moaning thank rankles.
That's what get to me as well. I can accept not everyone agrees with me on certain players, but the sheer vindictiveness and nastiness that's infecting the place at times can be quite sickening.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It is so funny that this thread come from someone who was saying that he understood fans who wanted to lose the FA Cup so LVG would leave
This is interesting.

It is a bit rich that there exists a sentiment that things are too negative, when a few years ago during the Moyes' era, positive outlooks were stamped out by a horde of caftards.

RedStarUnited

Theres a few games where winning is the only thing that matters and the perfomance is a bonus. For example at the Emirates all i cared about was the win, didn't care about how we did it.

But games like today or midweek, I expect us to look much better than the opposition. So just winning is not enough.

Fully Fledged

This is interesting.

It is a bit rich that there exists a sentiment that things are too negative, when a few years ago during the Moyes' era, positive outlooks were stamped out by a horde of caftards.
The problem is disagreeing with the hive mentality. Positive or negative if you agree with the accepted vision you are okay. But dare to step outside the hive speak...

ti vu

I suspect what the negative posters (myself included) are guilty of is that we aren't currently playing the same brand of football we've been used to during the Fergie era. Change is hard.

Anyway, that shouldn't really take anything away from the fact that we are (in my opinion) still very much a squad in transition.
Fergie era is unusual long for any other coaches out there, and SAF didn't stick the same approach all the time. if anything, the fundamental is very similar now to which at the end of SAF's time.

LeftyBlaster

What's wrong with complaining about a negative approach that has pervaded most of our games? Sitting back and playing for time against an average WBA side is just shameful.

People want us to stop comparing ourselves to City and say we're second? Well I'm sorry to say that I for one am NOT happy that we are second and that we should be dismantling shit like WBA because City have set the standard for winning the league.

desmondisback

Well at the risk of getting my head chewed off: you can't have it both ways. I've seen folks who post legit criticism after a narrow win get labelled 'negative' and if you wait until a defeat to do the same, you get called 'knee-jerk'.

I personally would prefer people stuck to what they believe, whether United are getting over the line or not.

If people are being ridiculously negative after a win, that's a bit different and understandably annoying. But it seems like any criticism post-win is almost ban worthy.

Absolutely brilliant point and it needs to be said. If we stick to what we believe about the football being played then it should not matter what the result is. We won today , it wasn't pretty. We got 3 points. Decent result. Did it inspire me to think that United are going places with Mourinho? Absolutely and totally not.

Does that make me a sickening moaner or a realist? If I wait until a defeat to point out that parking the bus against West Brom is not what we are aspiring to then I will get accused of jumping on a defeat. It's heads I win , tails you lose. I wonder whether draws are Ok to comment on with "sickening negativity" ? LOL

Or maybe I should just wait until Mourinho goes and we are just left with a bunch of players who have forgotten how to play decent football. Maybe then I won't sound so "sickening".......

desmondisback

You are right

The negativity on here will drive a lot of people away.

Its gotten to the stage where one just feels like avoiding the football forums altogether. Hopefully the mods do something about it.

We were out of the the title race last September. We have improved massively from last season, and City are having one of the best starts to any European title campaign in recent memory.

I have asked this before, but how the hell do some of the people here cope with any adversity in life?
You not see the self contradiction here.....?

King.of.Red

Even during SAF era, there were periods where we won and didnt play well. So, as long as we can get 3 points, I'm always happy.. Those moaners maybe envy why our team cant play like shitty.

Hammerfell

Football is about more than results for fans, only managers base everythig purely on the bottom line, the performances are horrid to watch, fans watch football to be entertained, and the fact we let them back into the game and should have been on the end of a penalty due to the sloppiness deserves criticism.
Nah, I watch football to see my team win.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
We barely beat a team which was 19th.
Barely? We had a complete control over the game for best part of 75 minutes until they scored. You make it sounds like we use to regularly wallop the small teams under Ferguson.
The people moaning have a point, beat the same side comprehensively and you won't hear so many complaints.
Wrong. I won't talk about others but I remember you were constantly moaning earlier in the season even after number of 4-0, 2-0 and 1-0 results.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Jesus, himself, has arrived.

You are, hands down, the worst poster on here. Do you not remember that piece of shit reddit thread you made of me? fecking hypocrite.