Italian Serie A 2017/18

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Lazio are also considering a move for Ale Romagnoli to replace Inter bound de Vrij. He's a self confessed Lazio fan and even posted a pic of himself in a Lazio kit after he left Roma. Milan don't want to sell but the FFP crackdowns will force them to sell some good players and I wouldn't be surprised to see the club sell off this amazing prospect, and to buy some has-been CB to replace him.

DavidDeSchmikes

Donadoni sacked from Bologna after 3 years in charge, which saw them finish 14th, 15th and 15th.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Spalletti: "I can't keep Rafinha and Cancelo. Icardi? I don't know".

Quite worrying for Inter fans.
Well that's actually very promising, last year they were talking about Vidal, Nainggolan, Di Maria, etc. All this talk about market is boring.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Well that's actually very promising, last year they were talking about Vidal, Nainggolan, Di Maria, etc. All this talk about market is boring.
I don't get it. It sounds Inter can't do a great business this summer so that's worrying for their fans.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Spalletti: "I can't keep Rafinha and Cancelo. Icardi? I don't know".

Quite worrying for Inter fans.
I think they will just renegotiate the purchase option and buy them in July when they can put it on next year's budget.
I am really annoyed that Inter managed to grab a CL spot, Lazio deserved it more but they are bottlers and they missed all their many chances. Lazio fans keep crying over referees but while it is true that they had some unlucky decisions against them during the year, they should get upset only with themselves for throwing away the CL spot as well as the EL against Salzburg

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I think they will just renegotiate the purchase option and buy them in July when they can put it on next year's budget.
I am really annoyed that Inter managed to grab a CL spot, Lazio deserved it more but they are bottlers and they missed all their many chances. Lazio fans keep crying over referees but while it is true that they had some unlucky decisions against them during the year, they should get upset only with themselves for throwing away the CL spot as well as the EL against Salzburg
Absolutely. Leading 2-1, with just 12 minutes to go you just have to defend and waste time. Shame that Lazio are not used to it.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Juventus and Genoa are on the verge of completing a deal for Mattia Perin worth €14m plus €1m bonuses. A 4 hour summit in Milan between Juve director Fabio Paratici and the goalkeeper’s agent proved fruitful. Perin is not afraid to challenge Wojciech Szczesny for the role of Juve Number 1 after Gigi Buffon’s departure.

Aboutreika18

Perin and Szczęsny, eh? I think Perin's ready to step up to be number 1 at a big European club but not sure about him potentially sharing games with another keeper of a similar level.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Milan's director of sport Massimiliano Mirabelli attended Colombia’s friendly match against Egypt on Friday evening, presumably to scout Falcao, who also said on live TV that it was “an honour” to be linked with the club. Loads of noise in the media now speculating that Milan will exchange Andre Silva for Falcao + cash, as he's a reliable and gritty CF in the mould that Gattuso appreciates.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Szczesny deserves to be the next number one. Been an oustanding back up this season.
I suspect Agnelli and Marotta want a strong Italian spine to support the national team again, in addition to the club... the ItalJuve association has historically been the trademark of successful runs for both parties. It would also help keep costs in equilibrium, with the opportunity to pay the added world-class foreign players a bit more.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I suspect Agnelli and Marotta want a strong Italian spine to support the national team again, in addition to the club... the ItalJuve association has historically been the trademark of successful runs for both parties. It would also help keep costs in equilibrium, with the opportunity to pay the added world-class foreign players a bit more.
Fair point. I think Szczesny has been told he is gonna be the number one next season though.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Perin and Szczęsny, eh? I think Perin's ready to step up to be number 1 at a big European club but not sure about him potentially sharing games with another keeper of a similar level.
TBH I have some doubts about the desirability of having two strong keepers and creating competition in that role. Szczesny will start as N.1 but I have never been a fan of turnover for goalies. It is true on the other hand that if you are unlucky and have a weak n.2 in charge during the critical part of the season you risk to throw away some important competitions like Bayern and Liverpool did.
If I was Perin I would not have gone to Juve but waited for Roma or Napoli or some other biggish European team

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
that is true, the problem is our current generation is really poor and there is very little Italian talent that is Juve grade these days. A very average CB like Romagnoli is valued and arm and a leg. Chiesa who is an interesting prospect and nothing more ATM is valued at over 60M FFS!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I assume Donnaruma has done another U Turn and is staying at Milan....again? Would've thought Juventus would've been all over that one which could've freed up Perin going to Milan.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
It's the usual will he won't he leave Milan stuff. Seems to pop up every six months.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/302998-ac-milan-slash-donnarumma-price

Would've thought he's an obvious player for them to cash in if they really are struggling financially and Juve would've been in for him.
Donnarumma is not ready for a big team and he got ruined by the monster deal negotiated by Raiola. He has quite a lot of technical faults for a keeper that are quite natural at that age, but being paid as a top player puts a lot of pressure on him.
He would need to work hard for a few years to achieve his potential that is high but it will be difficult to do it and IMO he risks to waste his career. In any case Juve would not have invested that kind of money on him.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Romagnoli is good enough for the national team already and on the rise at 23yo, he would need a better club to complete his development and play champions league football.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Also, Marchetti has signed for Genoa, which basically means Perin to Juve is all but confirmed now.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Romagnoli is not average at all. Great young defender and gets better every year
I do not agree, I think he is way overhyped, he makes a lot of mistakes, he often misreads the way the offensive play develops and therefore he is often late.He does have quite good aerial skills and he is quick but not my favourite. Among the young CBs Skriniar, Rugani, and Caldara are better IMO.
He is still very young so he might get better over the next few years but at the moment he is average and certainly not worth 60 m.
I have seen half a dozen games of Milan this year and in all of them he made at least one major blunder, the coppa Italia final being just the last one of them.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Is he good enough to play at a european top club? If so, how much would he cost?
the rumor is that they want 60m at least which is crazy, but Milan situation is very foggy. They have lots of problems with UEFA and their Chinese owner seems to be just the dummy for somebody else but they keep being associated with very expensive players like Morata or Falcao.

It is not clear if they will need to sell or will manage to get refinanced, for sure their ownership structure is very suspicious

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I do not agree, I think he is way overhyped, he makes a lot of mistakes, he often misreads the way the offensive play develops and therefore he is often late.He does have quite good aerial skills and he is quick but not my favourite. Among the young CBs Skriniar, Rugani, and Caldara are better IMO.
He is still very young so he might get better over the next few years but at the moment he is average and certainly not worth 60 m.
I have seen half a dozen games of Milan this year and in all of them he made at least one major blunder, the coppa Italia final being just the last one of them.
He's overhyped allright, just like most young CBs these days. The new Nesta/Cannavaro, he is not. Yes he has mistakes in him, but those keep getting rarer. He's not worse than Caldara, just more exposed. Skriniar is better than him but not by much. Rugani, well you're gobbo :D(how can you even judge him when he never plays...)

I've seen milan a lot, and yeah i wouldn't pay €60m for him(but neither i would for Skriniar for that matter), not sure he's quite ready for real madrid but he's still growing and getting better. A few mistakes here and there are still acceptable

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
He's overhyped allright, just like most young CBs these days. The new Nesta/Cannavaro, he is not. Yes he has mistakes in him, but those keep getting rarer. He's not worse than Caldara, just more exposed. Skriniar is better than him but not by much. Rugani, well you're gobbo :D(how can you even judge him when he never plays...)

I've seen milan a lot, and yeah i wouldn't pay €60m for him(but neither i would for Skriniar for that matter), not sure he's quite ready for real madrid but he's still growing and getting better. A few mistakes here and there are still acceptable
I would say the same things about Rugani and Caldara even if they were not Juve players as I say them about Skriniar that plays for the club I despise the most in the world.
It is a myth that Rugani does not play, playing behind the best defense in serie A of course he was bound to grow gradually, but this last season he became the third CB overall and only behind Chiellini in the league in terms of minutes played.

Since moving to Juve he has got the opposite treatment of Romagnoli because he has a very different style from Romagnoli he is way less aggressive because his style of play is more based on preventive marking rather than aggressive tackles and physical challenges, so most of his interventions are not very eye catching. You will never see him going down in tackles very often, but if you look at his stats and how many times the forwards that he marked got the best of him then the story is different. He excels exactly in the areas where Romagnoli lacks and IMO is a far better CB not because of Juve, but because he is.
I will be the first to admit that is possible that Romagnoli will improve over time like Chiellini, who had (and still has sometimes) similar faults did, but at the moment the amount of praise he receives is way over the top relative to his performances.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Defenders and goalkeepers, Italy will be fine as usual. It is midfielders I am very worried about: Cristante, Pellegrini, Baselli, Mandragora, Gagliardini, Locatelli etc., all lack strength, speed and quality to develop into really important players. The consequence is we may see the likes of Bonaventura and Bernardeschi being forced to step back and play the box-to-box role to have more quality in that department.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Yes I agree even though defenders and keeper too are not close to our historical standards, no Zoff,Buffon, Peruzzi, Maldini, Baresi, Scirea or Cannavaro in sight....

The midfield situation is dramatic, we have a bunch of young player but none who is world class or can realistically get to that level. Juve has no Italian midfielders that start games any more, between Roma and Napoli there are a couple but they are good not great. There are a few promising youngsters but those will not be ready before 4-6 years. All in all one of the worst generations gaps ever in terms of talent

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Perin to Juventus is basically done. Szczesny will be happy after being assured he would have been the first choice next season.

KC91

Defenders and goalkeepers, Italy will be fine as usual. It is midfielders I am very worried about: Cristante, Pellegrini, Baselli, Mandragora, Gagliardini, Locatelli etc., all lack strength, speed and quality to develop into really important players. The consequence is we may see the likes of Bonaventura and Bernardeschi being forced to step back and play the box-to-box role to have more quality in that department.
The good thing for Italy is that two of their best players (Jorginho & Veratti) also play midfield, I also think a few of those names you mentioned will be very good players, along with Barella. I'd be much more worried about the wingbacks than the midfield. Palmieri, Spinazzola, & Conti are promising, but they've all had injury issues. Everyone else bar Florenzi is trash.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
The good thing for Italy is that two of their best players (Jorginho & Veratti) also play midfield, I also think a few of those names you mentioned will be very good players, along with Barella. I'd be much more worried about the wingbacks than the midfield. Palmieri, Spinazzola, & Conti are promising, but they've all had injury issues. Everyone else bar Florenzi is trash.
Rumour has it the best clubs in Italy are fighting it out at the moment for that Darmian fella. He must be good;)

Aboutreika18

Full-backs/wing-backs have been really average for a while.

Abate and De Sciglio haven't fulfilled their early promise and Darmian and Zappacosta aren't great. The best options are probably Florenzi, who will probably be needed in central midfield because of how poor the options are there and Criscito, who has barely played for Italy while he's been at Zenit, although that might change now he's back in Italy.

The fact that the most reliable option at full-back/wing-back in recent years has probably been a utility man like Giaccherini says it all.