It's in our hands (or not?)

Is it possible for us to finish top four without needing Leicester to drop points prior to final day

• Yes

Votes: 133 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 49 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riz

But realistically they will be ahead on points and GD so it’s more in their hands than ours.
Yes I agree! But regardless of the likelihood it would still be possible and in our control to overtake them. That is fundamentally why I believe it is in our hands because the only thing that can stop us finishing in the top 4 is us failing to fulfill a result that we can influence.

EDIT: Think I've stumbled on the best way I can define it:

In your hands: The only way you do not achieve your target is by failing to fulfill a result(s) that you can influence.
Out of your hands: You can still not achieve your target even if you fulfill all the result(s) you can influence.

Leicester - in their hands.
Chelsea - in their hands
United - in their hands.
Arsenal - out of their hands. (could win every game 10-0 and still have 0% chance of achieving the top 4 at the beginning of the last day of the season)

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yes I agree! But regardless of the likelihood it would still be possible and in our control to overtake them. That is fundamentally why I believe it is in our hands because the only thing that can stop us finishing in the top 4 is us failing to fulfill a result that we can influence.

EDIT: Think I've stumbled on the best way I can define it:

In your hands: The only way you do not achieve your target is by failing to fulfill a result(s) that you can influence.
Out of your hands: You can still not achieve your target even if you fulfill all the result(s) you can influence.

Leicester - in their hands.
Chelsea - in their hands
United - in their hands.
Arsenal - out of their hands. (could win every game 10-0 and still have 0% chance of achieving the top 4 at the beginning of the last day of the season)
Yes I get your point, to me it just feels a bit disingenuous to say ‘well we could win 10-0 if we needed to’, and claim that it’s “in our hands” when Leicester in that scenario would need to just not lose 10-0. I wouldn’t feel particular control in that sense.

We could also win every game 10-0 and not qualify.

But I think we’re actually in agreement, we agree that it is MORE in the 2 teams above us hands. So I think we got there, or at least close enough. :lol:

I’m worried now though, the Europa league tie second leg isn’t in our hands anymore! :lol:

SirAnderson

Yes I get your point, to me it just feels a bit disingenuous to say ‘well we could win 10-0 if we needed to’, and claim that it’s “in our hands” when Leicester in that scenario would need to just not lose 10-0. I wouldn’t feel particular control in that sense.

We could also win every game 10-0 and not qualify.

But I think we’re actually in agreement, we agree that it is MORE in the 2 teams above us hands. So I think we got there, or at least close enough. :lol:

I’m worried now though, the Europa league tie second leg isn’t in our hands anymore! :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Riz

Yep I never at any point claimed it was more in our hands than the other teams. In fact I never said anything on the degree that it was in our hands or theirs, just that it technically was now in ours for the first time after last nights results.

So when @SirAnderson says things like I should edit the OP to say "That technically it is in their hands and not ours." - I fundamentally disagree. Technically it is in our hands as well as their's and I'm yet to be convinced how it's not regardless of what's realistic or disingenuous.

EDIT: The Europa league tie second leg is in our hands, it's a match we play in and influence directly. :D

SirAnderson

If we fail to capitalize on all the positivity in this thread, and remain 5th, then we in CAS' hands to not overturn City's ban to qualify for CL.

But it is in our hands to win all our Europa and qualify for CL.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Just wash your hands regularly and it will go away. Its a pandemic season and you can't afford to have anything in your hands :wenger:

SirAnderson

@Riz you still haven't got the fundamental point of my argument. I see yours and I understand it.

My point was on the use of the phrase as per its proper definition, right this very moment.
And not in how it plays out over 6 games.
It makes more sense that it is in Leicesters hands and not ours. Period.

But when you go through all the permutations and variables, then sure, it is also to a degree, in our hands.

alexthelion

All this about not being in our hands. As it stands it is 100% in our hands.

"If two or more clubs finish level in the table when competing for the title or European qualification, or when relegation is at stake, their records in the head-to-head matches will now be used to separate them"

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1262217

The rules have been changed. We beat Leicester 1-0 at home so as long as we do not lose to them, if we finish on the same points, we will finish above them.

This goes with Chelsea and Wolves too as we have the better of the head to heads against all 3 teams.
That only comes into effect if GD is the same.

Acquire Me

FFS guys, by definition it’s not in our hands. You might, as I do, think that "it’s in our hands". I really do think that we got this if we continue our good run.

Tarrou

And its in their hands to make sure we don't? Isn't it. That's my entire point.
In the long run, we have to do better than them, but right now, at this very moment, its still their lead, their advantage. When we start bettering their results and chipping away at the GD, it will favor us and be in our hands.

Its like in an actually match...when Team A is winning 2 nil, do we say its in Team B's hand? Technically yes, cause they have to try and win Team A, but at that moment, its more in Team A's hands, cause they have their advantage, all they have to do is see the game to the end or not let Team B score.

So I think it was @Samid that said, it is in all over our hands, us, Wolves, Chelsea, Leicester, but the advantage and the idiom "in our hands" belongs more in Leicester favor than anyone else.
That's my point.
Yeah I agree, it's in their hands as well and more-so in theirs as it stands

Hopefully not for much longer though

Skeezix

Why are you all wasting time debating something that's completely irrelevant
Thank you there!
It was apparent from the other thread where the "hands" thing came up that it was turning into a Grammar and Maths debate with heavy focus and high marks on knowledge of idioms, phrases and Probability.
And the OP would be irrelevant or would have to drastically change again in the next game week.

It seemed/and will turn out to irrelevant despite the interesting conversation.

Skeezix

Reads like a Caf version of a No Context Hearn clip.
Had to search up on No Context Hearn. Funny account and memes there.. Thanks for the heads up.

Coming from the other thread with the "hands" debate, I didn't mean to spite the OP or rub people the wrong way here, but my post here in this thread yesterday was the last one (10th) for the day and I couldn't make any corrections/clarifications.(shoulda use white text instead)

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's in our hand if we dont need leicester to lose. Meaning they can win all their games and there's nothing they can do if we win all of ours.

Problem is we meet then on their last game.

So I'm gonna scratch the leicester against us since the chances are 50 50 either way.

So at this moment, last game probability aside It's still in their hand.

Plus a draw is in their favour so mathematically speaking our chances on the last game are 0.33 out of 1.

Skills

Snitch
It's in our hands. That goal difference should be easily surmountable looking at our fixtures coming up.

And in the head to head against Leicester, a 2-0 win swings the goal difference by 4 goals. So it is in our hands to win all the games and also get head of them on goal difference.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In all seriousness it’s not in our hands.

It was never in our hands. It was in the friends we made along the way.
This is the most glorious “Wonder Years”-esque shitpost.

norm87cro

Technically Wolves can start beating teams 10 0 so one can argue that the top 4 spot is in their hands as well. That is not going to happen. The reality is we need Leicester to drop points which they certainly will.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So Leicester won 3-0 and we won 5-2 so they matched us for points and goal difference.

What percentage of it is now in our hands?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
@Berbasbullet
Budumpa bump bump. This kind of bump? :lol:

When Chelsea and Leicester lose tonight it will be in our hands, if not, apparently, it will not? I just feel the feet feel a bit left out honestly.
...what have you done...? :lol:
Feel like tonight we will all be in agreement, one of those two are dropping points.

Chairman Steve

’In our hands’ to me suggests that as long as Utd don’t mess up and drop points, it doesn’t matter what another team does in response... Right now that isn’t the case.

At the moment, we need at least one of Chelsea and Leicester to mess up and capitalise on it, then if we have more points than one of them after the same amount of games, then it’s ‘in our hands’

I suppose you could say it’s in our hands, because of Utds form in relation to Chelsea and Leicester, but form is temporary as the old saying goes. I’m certainly not taking it for granted that Utd will win all their remaining games, with Chelsea and Leicester faltering in that time.

However a circumstance could arise out of this season where City are banned from UEFA competition for at least a season, and therefore 5th place is granted the Champions League spot... then you can also say it’s ‘in our hands’ depending on the timing of the announcement of that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.