It's not coming Rome.

Giggsyking

They played in 2014 didn't they? So you're not expecting them to qualify until 2034?
Or was the 20 years from their last win? Was that a key missing word?
Last they won a knock out match was in 2006.

LARulz

Nice to see Italy taking a stand against Qatar hosting the World Cup and not play in it

It's incredible they've missed out. Mancini will be looking for a new job I guess

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Italian fans gave it large after they won the European Championship. They were everywhere on the internet, and did they like to rub it in.

I have a mate who was living in Sicily at the time (and watched the match in an Italian bar) and it wasn't exactly, 'oh, commiserations, mate. Well played and unlucky.'

To be fair, that's football, so if you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Well to be fair it wasn't just Italy celebrating, more like the entirety of Europe, so it's not entirely fair to hold that against the Italians.

TheGame

OMG they celebrated in Sicily after winning a European Championship? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pricks. I can absolutely see why there is a need here for English fans to forego their famed gentelmanly behaviour and give it large here. After all, it's not like England fans have been singing about football "coming home" (incorrectly) for the past half century :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: .

:lol:

Bring back the euros forum pleeeeaase.
Gentlemanly behaviour :lol: . Yeah cause we saw a lot of that from the Italians after the Euros. This is perhaps why some England fans want to have a go now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
OMG they celebrated in Sicily after winning a European Championship? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pricks. I can absolutely see why there is a need here for English fans to forego their famed gentelmanly behaviour and give it large here. After all, it's not like England fans have been singing about football "coming home" (incorrectly) for the past half century :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: .

:lol:

Bring back the euros forum pleeeeaase.
Call me if you need to chat, pal.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Finishing bottom of such an easy group in 2010 was bad enough (that’s the easiest group I can remember any ‘heavyweight’ team failing to make it out of), but to then follow that up with another group stage exit and then 2 successful qualifying campaigns is crazy.

Sandwiched in between those disastrous showings, they done well at the Euros beating Germany en-route to the final in 2012, Belgium and Spain in 2016 and of course going home with the trophy last summer.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Gentlemanly behaviour :lol: . Yeah cause we saw a lot of that from the Italians after the Euros. This is perhaps why some England fans want to have a go now.
Step one: England fans being obnoxious, plastering everything with "It's coming home"
Step two: "It's just banter you idiot, it's part of the game"
Step three: someone makes fun of England
Step four: "oh my god did you see what they said against England? Some of them even celebrated their victory, despite it being a heart break for England! Totally out of line. I hate them now."

I think the real hero of this story is Jogi Löw, for sacrificing himself and donating three points to the North Macedonians, getting them through to the playoffs and giving them the confidence to beat Italy.

lsd

The Oracle
So long as they stopped England winning the Euros I will always love the Italians.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Imagine losing a final to a team that's more shite than North Macedonia :nervous:

Classical Mechanic

Certainly is one of the more curious stories in international football. Fail to qualify for WC2018, then go on a world record undefeated run and win Euro2020 before failing to qualify for WC2022.

Last edited:

TheGame

Step one: England fans being obnoxious, plastering everything with "It's coming home"
Step four: "oh my god did you see what they said against England? Some of them even celebrated their victory, despite it being a heart break for England! Totally out of line. I hate them now."

I think the real hero of this story is Jogi Löw, for sacrificing himself and donating three points to the North Macedonians, getting them through to the playoffs and giving them the confidence to beat Italy.
The first step is surely anti England fans getting triggered by a song.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The first step is surely anti England fans getting triggered by a song.
Look, how can they get triggered before it's actually sung? That doesn't make sense. And the fact that you would use the phrase "anti England fans" proves my previous point.

arnie_ni

Italian fans gave it large after they won the European Championship. They were everywhere on the internet, and did they like to rub it in.

I have a mate who was living in Sicily at the time (and watched the match in an Italian bar) and it wasn't exactly, 'oh, commiserations, mate. Well played and unlucky.'

To be fair, that's football, so if you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Aye because that's what the English fans in the bars all across the country would have said to any italians they came across.

TheGame

Look, how can they get triggered before it's actually sung? That doesn't make sense. And the fact that you would use the phrase "anti England fans" proves my previous point.
The fact you and others mention it indicates people are triggered by it whereas for England fans it’s sung in every sport as a laugh as we acknowledge its probably not coming home. Sure we believed we had a shot in the final but a lot of us knew Southgate is not the best manager.

kthanksbye

Fair to say that the squad suddenly lost the hunger, the only Qualifier they won was against Lithuania.
Drew against Bulgaria, Switzerland twice, and Nothern Ireland, now lost to North Macedonia.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The fact you and others mention it indicates people are triggered by it whereas for England fans it’s sung in every sport as a laugh as we acknowledge its probably not coming home. Sure we believed we had a shot in the final but a lot of us knew Southgate is not the best manager.
Look pal, I think you're so triggered by my "anti England fanism" you're missing my point.

Vernon Philander

Italian reaction post Euros had some pent up Brexit resentment about it, which isn't hard to understand if every time they opened a newspaper they had Boris' smirking straight at them.

For all the talk of England being a special place and the Prem being world-beating, we've still won sweet F A

kthanksbye

I think the Home and Rome banter was fun, not sure why it's being taken so seriously here.
As an Italy fan, the memes are funny.
There's one of Chiellini holding Saka in the Euro final with Macedonia written on Chiellini, and "Italy going to the worldcup" written on Saka.

Zen86

Laughing is all well and good, but I much prefer a world cup with Italy there to be honest.

TheGame

Laughing is all well and good, but I much prefer a world cup with Italy there to be honest.
I would have liked to see a Italy Portugal match in the next round. I agree with you but if you get qualify out of your group as European winners then you don’t deserve to be there. It’s shocking for sure.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Look mate, I’m just getting my own back at some of the comments we had to ensure after the final. That is all. Italian fans and others liked to give it out so we are just giving it back.
Struggling to take it after giving it out rather large.

Just a bit of fun guys. Chill.

Dorris

Thought this thread might turn into England bashing.

Mental people still don’t get the ‘it’s coming home’ song. You’ve had it explained to you enough times. Pretty obnoxious really, refusing to understand other cultures.

Zen86

I would have liked to see a Italy Portugal match in the next round. I agree with you but if you get qualify out of your group as European winners then you don’t deserve to be there. It’s shocking for sure.
True. Although to be honest I'd actually forgotten about the bizarre anti-English sentiment during the Euros. **** em.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Worst international tournament for me was when England didn't qualify for the Euros. I'm sure the day will come that we don't qualify for the world cup and I don't look forward to it. Failing twice in a row must be miserable.

A lot of regulars in that team will never play at a world cup.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Aye because that's what the English fans in the bars all across the country would have said to any italians they came across.
Sweet, enjoy your pasta watching England lift the world cup. Greaseballs
Indeed. They would have said this ^ sort of weird unfunny xenophobic shit a lot of them.

Must admit I had a great time at the final and the atmosphere was very fun where I was but the "stick your pasta up yer arse" lot always make me feel embarrassed.

lsd

The Oracle

I love that no matter how many times England fans keeps saying they sing this ironically it just never rings true.

We all know come the world cup you will be singing it again and you will actually believe you can win it

It only makes it sweeter when you don't

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Their front three are simply not good enough for a top international side; this has been the case for years.

Chiesa is really the only player up front who has genuine and consistent quality and needless to say, he won’t kick a ball for the foreseeable future.

The others either blow hot and cold (Insigne) or have never reliably performed at international level.

FB’s are a bit average, otherwise they have the depth and quality in other areas of the park to come back stronger.

Zen86

I love that no matter how many times England fans keeps saying they sing this ironically it just never rings true.

We all know come the world cup you will be singing it again and you will actually believe you can win it

People believed we could win the Euros, which isn't such a daft thing to believe considering how close we came.

Generally speaking though, no. England's chances of winning things are more a sense of derision than optimism.

Real Name

Indeed. They would have said this ^ sort of weird unfunny xenophobic shit a lot of them.

Must admit I had a great time at the final and the atmosphere was very fun where I was but the "stick your pasta up yer arse" lot always make me feel embarrassed.
Surely greaseball is well over the top?

Widow

Cry much?

captaincantona

I’m not sure that there is much to understand here...it’s fairly simple...

England are nobody’s “neutral” team of choice internationally...no one. No one likes them. For whatever reason!

So even if that song didn’t exist- fans would find something else to take the piss out of...simply because...no one likes England! And it helps that England often have great players at their disposal but still fail to capitalise...it’s like when PSG lose...no one cares or feels bad for them.

I’m Irish so I know why we dont cheer them on in neutral games or at tournaments which we are inevitably not at! But why do other people hate the English football team so much- other non English posters- what irritates you most?

Dan_F

Without wanting to rehash this, it’s hard to believe that so many United fans, who I’m going to assume aren’t English, are rilled by a song as dumb as “it’s coming home”

Do you know any United songs. At all. Because I don’t see any complaints about them being arrogant, so it’s fine as long as you support that team. Football fans sing arrogant songs, that’s what they do. Every single fan base. Half the actual song itself is about how shit we are anyway.

You can admit you dislike England and want them to lose, I don’t particularly like it here either, but don’t blame it on a song :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

As if people are still triggered by “it’s coming home” and still refuse to acknowledge it being a joke because we’re always shit and sing it despite knowing we’ll usually be out early in the knockouts :lol: