Ivan Perisic or Bale as short term solution

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What's Perisic like on the right wing? If he were as good on that side as he is on the left he'd be a good option, but I doubt it.

As for Bale I think that time has passed. He was a great player, 3rd/4th best player in the world for a few years. But injuries and loss of love for the game have taken their toll and I don't think it's worth the risk anymore. I do have to say part of me is still curious how he'd do, but my brain is telling me no.
Why do people keep saying bale has lost his love for the game when he’s already said he loves playing for Wales? He’s unmotivated at RM. he’s been shafted and zidane has some kind of beef with him since day one.
A motivated bale would be very dangerous imho

wolvored

Try dalot as a rw backup to greenwood before we waste money on bale. Perisic won't come as he plays lw

Zed 101

I would rather get Regulion put Williams left wing and Rashford right than pay money for either

Rojofiam

feck Bale, how many times we wanted him since 2006 and been rejected either by him or his club? Now he's at rock bottom and is 'open to Manchester United move' :lol:

gorky_utd

I asked for Perisic previously when it started becoming clear that we might not get Sancho. However, it shows the incompetence and arrogance from Woodward. He could have easily declared that spending 100m plus on one player was not possible this summer and bought cheaper alternative like Perisic and allowed ole to incorporate him into the squad. Instead he decided to waste everybody's time and now we are in a position where the season starts within a week with no reinforcement at rw position. Utter shambles from Woodward.

I said that we should seriously consider signing Willian on a free some time before he signed for Arsenal, but I can see where your statement comes from.

Edit: Here are the posts from 2. July.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/wha...a-the-never-ending-story.440780/post-25686895
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/wha...a-the-never-ending-story.440780/post-25686932
I particularly liked

“ Willian? Are you kidding me? I know he has had a decent couple of games but feck me I'll be clawing my eyes out if we sign him. ”

Strelok

I think after Sancho I've come to a point that any RW better than Mata, Lingard or James is welcomed. Given that they're on a short 1-2 years deal. Just fecking sign one, we can't go into the season like this. It's bloody suicidal with such congested PL CL schedule.

Last season half the caf said that we're screwed if we didn't sign a good mid. I have the exact same feeling now.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Neither Perisic nor Bale.

Maybe see if 25-30m would get Ismaila Sarr. That might work.

croadyman

I think after Sancho I've come to a point that any RW better than Mata, Lingard or James is welcomed. Given that they're on a short 1-2 years deal. Just fecking sign one, we can't go into the season like this. It's bloody suicidal with such congested PL CL schedule.

Last season half the caf said that we're screwed if we didn't sign a good mid. I have the exact same feeling now.
Yeah I have reached the point of accepting that any RW would be an improvement on shoehorning James or Mata in that position.

Champagne Football

I asked for Perisic previously when it started becoming clear that we might not get Sancho. However, it shows the incompetence and arrogance from Woodward. He could have easily declared that spending 100m plus on one player was not possible this summer and bought cheaper alternative like Perisic and allowed ole to incorporate him into the squad. Instead he decided to waste everybody's time and now we are in a position where the season starts within a week with no reinforcement at rw position. Utter shambles from Woodward.
Nonsense. I think the plan always has been to make a bid for 1 or 2 players on transfer deadline day to try and get one or two super bargains during a time when clubs are under pressure to raise cash.

ChaddyP

Well no, obviously he wouldn't but he would also be an assist worth money with a resale value. Bale on loan isn't dead money. That's the point I was making.
it isnt dead money but in my reply to this

" half his wages which are rumoured to be nearly £600,000 a week, that comes out to over 15m a year!! Yet we are supposed to be 10-20m short of Dortmunds asking price? "

In my opinion it isnt a fair comaprison of opportunity cost. It's not fair to say united are 20 million off the dortmund fee yet are willing to spend 15 milion on wages and therefore that doesnt make sense. I say that because say we spend the 108 million pounds that bvb are asking for , we are still going paying 10 million in wages on top of that for Sanchos wage this year if he came. So all we are actually doiing is paying 5 million more in wages and 0 in transfer fee vs signing sancho.

I want to sign sancho as much as anyone here, But if the club feel economically they cant afford sancho at this time i get why 15 million this year in just wages can work instead of 10 million in wages plus 108 . I understand that in a business/cost savings sense.

Morpheus 7

Neither, it's a disgrace that this is being discussed as an option. Lack of planning and poor scouting has got us here. Bale and Perisic weren't choice 2 and 3. It goes against the signings we have made under Ole. It wreaks of panic and mistakes post Fergie in the transfer market. People don't try and spin it either, a disaster if we don't get Sancho.

IrishMcD

it isnt dead money but in my reply to this

" half his wages which are rumoured to be nearly £600,000 a week, that comes out to over 15m a year!! Yet we are supposed to be 10-20m short of Dortmunds asking price? "

In my opinion it isnt a fair comaprison of opportunity cost. It's not fair to say united are 20 million off the dortmund fee yet are willing to spend 15 milion on wages and therefore that doesnt make sense. I say that because say we spend the 108 million pounds that bvb are asking for , we are still going paying 10 million in wages on top of that for Sanchos wage this year if he came. So all we are actually doiing is paying 5 million more in wages and 0 in transfer fee vs signing sancho.

I want to sign sancho as much as anyone here, But if the club feel economically they cant afford sancho at this time i get why 15 million this year in just wages can work instead of 10 million in wages plus 108 . I understand that in a business/cost savings sense.
So spending £15m on wages for a year, then watch the player go back to his parent club, how does that make business sense? Especially a player who struggled with injuries, who’s game had been mostly based on pace and is in the twilight of his career? Not having a go at you mate, but I think the club is being driven off a cliff by these clowns. It’s the same with haggling with Everton over a fee for Rojo last year. I think the difference was about two million. We didn’t sell him and we have spent way more than that £2m On paying his wages to sit on the bench this year while his value bottoms out. Done the same with Jones. Currently doing the same with Smalling. The lack of movement OUT of the club says it all. Shambolic

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Why do people keep saying bale has lost his love for the game when he’s already said he loves playing for Wales? He’s unmotivated at RM. he’s been shafted and zidane has some kind of beef with him since day one.
A motivated bale would be very dangerous imho
It's because he hasn't shown any real interest in leaving Real except for going to China last year. I've got no problem with him doing that, contracts protect both parties and he's well within his rights to expect the money that Real offered him, but it does indicate he probably doesn't have that drive and hunger anymore. Combine that with his injuries and the fact that apparently he's been poor in most of his appearances for the last 18 months and it's just not worth the risk.

caid

I dont see the point in going for either really. I get the thinking and it seems a sensible enough plan, just not with them two players. I like Perisic but not convinced he could help our RW (Could be wrong?). Bale is an expensive gamble that i doubt will pay off, i'd be expecting a sanchez like situation were we pay him a stack of money for an announcement video and to sit on the bench occasionally.

reddevilz007

Perisic was once our top target as RW, under Mourinho.

He can play on both wings, is two footed and is capable of tracking back.

For a quoted 15 mil euros, he would add valuable experience and would help Rashford and Greenwood develop into better wingers.

I would get Perisic even if we get Sancho. He is better than James, Mata, Pereira and Lingard on the wings. The latter 3 should all be sold.

With Ighalo leaving in January most probably, we won’t have much depth in attack.

Possible forwards by January: Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Perisic and James.

You need competition for each position, that’s what all the stronger teams have. And our attackers also lack experience, which Perisic can provide.

Bayern: Muller, Lewandowski, Coman, Gnabry, Sane

Barcelona: Messi, Griezmann, Fati, Dembele, Depay

Man City: Aguero, Torres, Sterling, Jesus, Mahrez, Silva

PSG: Neymar, Di Maria, Mbappe, Icardi, Draxler, Sarabia

You see the pattern. You need at least 5 quality forwards.

Last edited:

darko

At 31, I wouldn't pay much for Bale and I'd want him on a short deal. I could stand up to three years but no more and a low transfer fee otherwise forget it.

Strelok

For a quoted 15 mil euros, he would add valuable experience and would help Rashford and Greenwood develop into better wingers.

I would get Perisic even if we get Sancho. He is better than James, Mata, Pereira and Lingard on the wings. The latter 3 should all be sold.

With Ighalo leaving in January most probably, we won’t have much depth in attack.

Possible forwards by January: Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Perisic and James.

You need competition for each position, that’s what all the stronger teams have. And our attackers also lack experience, which Perisic can provide.

Agreed.

We have two and a 18 yo. We really need to bolster our attack, both in number and quality.

Imo Perisic would be a very sensible signing. He's now on £150k a week but as he's 31 we could expect him to accept a lower wage on a 2+1 years deal I think. Plus I watched his recent clip at Bayern and it seems their fans like him a lot. He must be a good player and a good character to be liked by both Inter and Bayern fans.

You can see Bayern fans see him in pretty high regards in the comments.

rollingstoned1

Perisic wasn't wanted by Mou for the right flank but the left, that's where he does his best work from. And this when Martial had a very good half season until the new year in 2017. We shouldn't spend money and a squad place on a square peg for a round hole and then complain about it.

crackers0seven

Imagine if gareth bale came on loan to utd and was actually a success. Just like perisic did at Munich. The same perisic that most of redcafe cried over at the thought of buying him yrs back. He wasn't go enough etc. Well I guess he was good enough for bayern and played his part in a very successful season. Point being bale might actually work short term. He is in a bad situation in real with zz. But I wouldn't write him off as a player yet, I haven't seen enough of him actually playing in last 12 months to say he is finished at top level, a hungry fit bale could be good. I would be interested to see him at utd for 12months and see his there something still there. Big clearly not at his current financial outlay. He might want to actually play this season leading into the euros, so maybe he would take a smaller package. Priority for me would jadon of course, bale loan second choice. Then go for jadon again next summer.

Reactions: golden_blunder

reddevilz007

Perisic wasn't wanted by Mou for the right flank but the left, that's where he does his best work from. And this when Martial had a very good half season until the new year in 2017. We shouldn't spend money and a squad place on a square peg for a round hole and then complain about it.
It’s okay if you prefer the likes of James, Mata, Pereira and Lingard as your squad players.

Bwuk

I’d take Bale on loan if we can’t get Sancho, but I’d also buy Perisic.

Rashford, Martial, Bale, Greenwood, Perisic, James. 6 for 3 positions.

EwanI Ted

If we really can't get Sancho, either could be an option. I'd always thought Perisic played on the left but if he's adept on the right then I guess I'd slightly favour him, if only to avoid the circus that would come with Bale. The key thing is making sure we don't tie ourselves down on a long contract so that we can go for Sancho again next summer. A loan for either player would be ideal, or at most a two year contract. No long term contracts please.

ScarleyUtd

Agreed.

We have two and a 18 yo. We really need to bolster our attack, both in number and quality.

Imo Perisic would be a very sensible signing. He's now on £150k a week but as he's 31 we could expect him to accept a lower wage on a 2+1 years deal I think. Plus I watched his recent clip at Bayern and it seems their fans like him a lot. He must be a good player and a good character to be liked by both Inter and Bayern fans.

You can see Bayern fans see him in pretty high regards in the comments.
A battler as well as skillful.

reddevilz007

A battler as well as skillful.
Perisic highly contributed in Barcelona’s 8-2 capitulation.

None of Rashford, Mata, Pereira or Lingard would have made Bayern’s bench that day or any given day. Yet people still underrate Perisic.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I would throw up if we sign Bale. This guy rejected us multiple times and now thinking about us after getting booted out of Madrid? Get the feck out.

rollingstoned1

It’s okay if you prefer the likes of James, Mata, Pereira and Lingard as your squad players.
really, this straw man is the answer to the post where i quoted you? in your world we either sign and play an out of position perisic on the right flank or rely on those 4, 2 of whom don't even play there?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's because he hasn't shown any real interest in leaving Real except for going to China last year. I've got no problem with him doing that, contracts protect both parties and he's well within his rights to expect the money that Real offered him, but it does indicate he probably doesn't have that drive and hunger anymore. Combine that with his injuries and the fact that apparently he's been poor in most of his appearances for the last 18 months and it's just not worth the risk.
He said in his own words that he’d tried to leave a couple of times but they wouldn’t let him leave. The coach clearly doesn’t like you. You either sit and run your contract down or you act a bollox to get out.

“Apparently” he’s been poor.. which means you haven’t watched him

You are making a lot of assumptions based on myth and internet opinions

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

The reason why I would not have a problem to see us getting Bale or Perisic or Costa on a one year loan is that this clearly would indicate that our plan still is to bring in Sancho next summer.

In case we buy some 20-27 years old average winger I would interpret this as giving up on Sancho.