Ivan Perisic

Giggsyking

One good game and lets jump up and down "that's why JM wanted him".
But when he was average with Inter in the whole season, you hear nothing.
Manchester united is a club that should compete with the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, etc. and Persic is nowhere near that quality.

Hawks2008

so tiresome, Perisic has a good game, some people are out in full force telling how amazing he is, he has an average one suddenly they disappear.

He is decent and an inconsistent winger, he wouldn't have changed a thing for us.
People always come out in force when it suits them here, this site is full off 'I told you so' types. Perisic was immense in the second half no doubt but it is not indicative of his regular level. He is a very streaky player, people will point to 11 goals and 9 assists as a good season but that wasn't so different to Martial or Rashford's output for us, and furthermore he went on a 10-12 match run in the league without registering a goal or assist so he would just be another frustrating player for us. He is a solid player with lots of good attributes but as you said he is inconsistent as they come. Right now we are stacked with players who can play on the left so the ship has sailed, and even if there was room for him he is not the calibre of player to make us challengers on all fronts.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
One good game and lets jump up and down "that's why JM wanted him".
But when he was average with Inter in the whole season, you hear nothing.
Manchester united is a club that should compete with the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, etc. and Persic is nowhere near that quality.
11 league goals and 9 assists is pretty good from a midfielder/winger. By contrast, Pogba only contributed 6 league goals.

Crashoutcassius

Personally thought yest was one of his worst performances. He is wildly inconsistent but is one of those players that can come up with a moment in a tight game, as he did yest. I think he would be a brilliant squad player for a top club

Canagel

He's a solid player but we can do better. As a squad player yes but not as a starter because he is too inconsistent. Perisic will have one game like yesterday and then 4 games where he fades into obscurity. To challenge for the title we need players who will perform week in week out .However I like that he is a winger or plays like a winger should. Hug the touchline, beat his man whenever possible, be direct and cross straight away. It's very simple .No need to cut back inside and dilly dally on the ball like many players like to do.

Giggsyking

11 league goals and 9 assists is pretty good from a midfielder/winger. By contrast, Pogba only contributed 6 league goals.
Cant compare him to Pogba who plays in different position. Compare him to our most hated player on the CAF Lingard who played half the minutes Persic played and yet has similar numbers to Persic. I am not saying he is a bad player, but he is nowhere near united first team quality.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Cant compare him to Pogba who plays in different. Compare him to our most hated player on the CAF Lingard who played half the minutes Persic played and yet has similar numbers to Persic. I am not saying he is a bad player, but he is nowhere near united first team quality.
That's moreso a compliment to Lingard raising his game over the past 12 months than a knock on Perisic. I'm happy to accept the idea that Jose wanted him because he had a particular way to deploy him in mind to get the best out of our other attackers. He now has Alexis to meet that role, but I somehow doubt the latter, despite his astronomical wages, will contribute any more than Perisic would have.

Giggsyking

That's moreso a compliment to Lingard raising his game over the past 12 months than a knock on Perisic. I'm happy to accept the idea that Jose wanted him because he had a particular way to deploy him in mind to get the best out of our other attackers. He now has Alexis to meet that fill that role, but I somehow doubt the latter, despite his astronomical wages, will contribute any more than Perisic would have.
I made the Lingard comparison to tell a point, that Persic if he would come, should not be more than a squad player just like Lingard should. We are talking about attacking positions where wingers should contribute with more than 15 goals to have a chance winning the league. Like what city had last year with Sane and Sterling scoring 15+ goals.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I made the Lingard comparison to tell a point, that Persic if he would come, should not be more than a squad player just like Lingard should. We are talking about attacking positions where wingers should contribute with more than 15 goals to have a chance winning the league. Like what city had last year with Sane and Sterling scoring 15+ goals.
Agreed, but then Mourinho adding Alexis wouldn't make much of a difference in that regard. If he can reclaim his form of two years ago (a big IF) then that would resolve that particular problem.

Giggsyking

Agreed, but then Mourinho adding Alexis wouldn't make much of a difference in that regard. If he can reclaim his form of two years ago (a big IF) then that would resolve that particular problem.
Alexis should do much better this season having him settled in the squad as JM said it was always going to be difficult for him to find form coming in Feb with only 3 months left in the season.

GM K

People don't get it do they? Perisic is the perfect Jose Mourinho wide man. Quick, hardworking, capable of doing damage, capable of defending, mentally tough and can whip in good crosses. If he joins United, he won't be a squad player. He will be in the first eleven. Whether the rest of us think he is good enough is a different topic.

GM K

He is an inconsistent limited winger who frequently fades in a league season. Every time he scores or assists, fanboys will claim "the one who got away". he hasn't even got a high rating for his overall world cup tournament, but like Willian, if he plays a good game or 2, he is then the ideal United player. Its actually the opposite. we have plenty of fading players who perform here and there. we need better.
Willian is Brazil's first choice right winger. Perisic just dragged his country to its first ever World Cup appearance. They are both fabulous players.

GM K

"Perisic is the kind of winger that is different to the others. Normally you look at wingers and they are just fast and creative.
But he is also physical, very physical. Fantastic in the air. So the way he wins that ball in the air [for Mandzukic’s goal] and puts the ball into that space is only possible if you are very, very physical and dominant over defenders. So he was amazing by going there and winning that ball in the air."

- Jose Mourinho on Perisic.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
"Perisic is the kind of winger that is different to the others. Normally you look at wingers and they are just fast and creative.
But he is also physical, very physical. Fantastic in the air. So the way he wins that ball in the air [for Mandzukic’s goal] and puts the ball into that space is only possible if you are very, very physical and dominant over defenders. So he was amazing by going there and winning that ball in the air."

Perfect description. That's what make Perisic a great player.

Greck

He sure does love aerial ability

Deleted member 101472

There isn’t a single football team on this earth that wouldn’t want a player with Perisics mentality. Absolutely made for the premier league based on what I’ve seen this World Cup.

haram

What do people actually want from a winger? His physical and aerial attributes are just a bonus on top of his delivery, pace, work rate and being strong with both feet. I dont understand what brings people to think this is not a good player.

Stop calling him a ‘work horse’ as well because he is easily much more.

Minimalist

What do people actually want from a winger? His physical and aerial attributes are just a bonus on top of his delivery, pace, work rate and being strong with both feet. I dont understand what brings people to think this is not a good player.

Stop calling him a ‘work horse’ as well because he is easily much more.
He was brilliant the other night. I think people have questions about his consistency and if he's worth major money that Inter might ask for.

haram

He was brilliant the other night. I think people have questions about his consistency and if he's worth major money that Inter might ask for.
Well we didn't pay the 50 million, 40 million was probably the max we would have paid. I was talking about the people that think he is rubbish. Certainly when we were linked there were a lot more of these people posting.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I watch plenty of Inter and he is very consistent. I say this as someone who wouldn't want him here, too. Not that I think he'd be a bad signing as I think he'd work as a LWB if we tried that system again, and he probably suits a José style team. It's just, as a player to watch, I'd much prefer to see Alexis/Martial on the left than him.

If we do try that system again then I would be for the signing, but I think we're done with it.

GM K

Perisic is more consistent than many of our players put together. He is certainly more consistent than our attackers minus perhaps Lukaku.

GM K

I watch plenty of Inter and he is very consistent. I say this as someone who wouldn't want him here, too. Not that I think he'd be a bad signing as I think he'd work as a LWB if we tried that system again, and he probably suits a José style team. It's just, as a player to watch, I'd much prefer to see Alexis/Martial on the left than him.

If we do try that system again then I would be for the signing, but I think we're done with it.
My team in Serie A is Inter Milan, so this is from someone who knows a bit about Inter. Peresic is a fabulous player who will fit like hand to glove in a Jose Mourinho team. Pace, hardwork, trickery, power, and hunger. That's what you get from Perisic. I will take him over Martial, ten over ten times at the moment. I mean if we freeze time to now and want to pick the better player today. Age difference and experience of course tilt it for Perisic. Martial has the age, potential and ceiling advantage undoubtedly, though. But that is never enough in football. You have to do the work to realize your potential. The only reasons I won't sign Peresic now are: 1. He prefers playing from the left. We are covered there. 2. If Martial really wants to stay, then I will like the scenario where he blossoms at United.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Cant compare him to Pogba who plays in different position. Compare him to our most hated player on the CAF Lingard who played half the minutes Persic played and yet has similar numbers to Persic. I am not saying he is a bad player, but he is nowhere near united first team quality.
People always find an "argument" to overhype a player we're linked with. Perisic's output is nothing special and he's not better than what we already have.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
People always find an "argument" to overhype a player we're linked with. Perisic's output is nothing special and he's not better than what we already have.
You've just lied through your teeth. At best you'll get cautious optimism about a signing like Perisic. You generally get overhype on star signings like Sanchez or Pogba.

maniwin

Good player but not worth £50m which was being quoted for him.
Will cost 70m if he won the WC. Regardless inter isn't going to let him go , they need him for their UCL campaign next season.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Because it is an inflated price. He has moments here and there but doesn't seem to be consistent. Unfortunately all teams seem to inflate their prices for us as well,.
When he has moments he is unstoppable though. I would always want him in my team.

Champagne Football

He's definitely a better option than Willian. He's a leader and a grafter but also very effective. It was madness not to pay the money for him last summer.

Kostov

He's definitely a better option than Willian. He's a leader and a grafter but also very effective. It was madness not to pay the money for him last summer.
We've made some very stupid and silly looking decisions over signing or not signing players. Not signing Perisic for that ridiculous amount they were asking, isn't one of them.

tidraKS

No wayyyyyy. In my opinion Willian would make us contenders for next season. We are lacking a player who stays on the right and doesn't cut in all the time. His crossing is great and we need that for Lukaku. He is absolutely better 1 vs 1 compared to Perisic.

Perisic, on the other side, plays best on the left and we have at least 3 players better on that side (Sanchez, Martial, Rashford).

We can have as many leaders as you want, but if they're not great players, what's the point :D ?

The Bloody-Nine

Martial and Rashford are not better on the left. Sanchez might be, but he hasn't shown it for us yet.

tidraKS

I think there could be only one reason I would buy him. If we switch to 3-4-3, I think he would be a better option than Young to a LWB and he would do a good job because of his work rate and would allow Sanchez a bit of freedom on attack. But, he's not a RW and he's not a good consistent LW, so for these two positions, I wouldn't consider him.

Kostov

We are so fecking stubborn if this is true. I get it if we persist with a player of Bale's quality, but making a saga over fecking Perisic? Stupid if true.

tidraKS

Martial and Rashford are not better on the left. Sanchez might be, but he hasn't shown it for us yet.
They absolutely are better than him and have more potential than him. He's 29 at the moment, and he is not getting better. Re Sanchez, we all know his quality, give him some time and we will see the real him.

The Bloody-Nine

They absolutely are better than him and have more potential than him. He's 29 at the moment, and he is not getting better. Re Sanchez, we all know his quality, give him some time and we will see the real him.
They absolutely are not. I am aware of his age. We heard the same shit about Matic from people who had barely seen him play. "He's nearly 30, he's on the decline, he made 0.3% less defensive headers last season" blah, blah, blah.

I don't think we're in for Perisic he would cost more than what was quoted last season - he signed a new contract recently too.