Ivan Perisic

SER19

There was a feeling last year that if we had signed perisic mourinho was aiming for a 352 set up.

How do you think that would look in terms of the other signings we have made?

......................de gea.............

..........lindelof..Bailly..smalling......

Valencia.............................Perisic...

............Fred..Matic...Pogba.....

............lukaku...Sanchez........

Doesn’t look right, though would solve the issue of searching for a new left back :lol: It’s a fantastic line up with a little of everything but seems unbalanced somehow

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Perisic would have made sense last season but not this one. We have signed Sanchez for big money and he plays as left winger every game. For the first time in years he got rest and will have proper preseason.

Tiber

yet another 29 year old? But some didnt want Ronaldo becsuse he only had a few years left at the top level

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is what Jose said last season.

"I have faith in [Anthony Martial]. Probably, the [fourth] player I was looking at in the transfer market was not a pure winger. As a pure attacking option, Martial is a good player. He is one of the players who will have a better season than last season. I have pure wingers. The player I was looking for would allow me to play three at the back and play with wing-backs."
If we planning to use him as wing back then should be good.

tidraKS

There was a feeling last year that if we had signed perisic mourinho was aiming for a 352 set up.

Doesn’t look right, though would solve the issue of searching for a new left back :lol: It’s a fantastic line up with a little of everything but seems unbalanced somehow

.............Matic...Pogba.....

......RW......lukaku...Sanchez........

This would be a good side imo. If we could get a good CB for Smalling and a good typical RW like Willian, we would be contenders.

SER19

.............Matic...Pogba.....

......RW......lukaku...Sanchez........

This would be a good side imo. If we could get a good CB for Smalling and a good typical RW like Willian, we would be contenders.
Still doesn’t deal with the possibility that Pogba is unsuited to a middle two? I think either way having a better plan b could only be good for us, we were better but still too predictable last season. Call me optimistic but I have very high hopes for lindelof and especially Sanchez this season

Zlatattack

Like I said on the twitter thread, this signing makes perfect sense.

We only have 4 players at the club who can play left wing, we clearly are in dire need of another one.

SER19

Perisic would have made sense last season but not this one. We have signed Sanchez for big money and he plays as left winger every game. For the first time in years he got rest and will have proper preseason.
I’m predicting him to be player of the season

Champagne Football

No wayyyyyy. In my opinion Willian would make us contenders for next season. We are lacking a player who stays on the right and doesn't cut in all the time. His crossing is great and we need that for Lukaku. He is absolutely better 1 vs 1 compared to Perisic.

Perisic, on the other side, plays best on the left and we have at least 3 players better on that side (Sanchez, Martial, Rashford).

We can have as many leaders as you want, but if they're not great players, what's the point :D ?
Sanchez is brilliant on the right also so there would be no problems fitting them both in. Perisic for me just seems to impact games more than Willian. Barca seem to be serious about Willian too now.

tidraKS

Sanchez is brilliant on the right also so there would be no problems fitting them both in. Perisic for me just seems to impact games more than Willian. Barca seem to be serious about Willian too now.
Sanchez is not brilliant on the right. He's main position is on the left, and we cannot ruin our possibly best player on a position he's not comfortable. Perisic to me doesn't seem a player who can do magic, while Willian certainly is. In my opinion, he has better crosses, better shots, is a natural right winger, better 1 vs 1, has a better vision. As example, I recall the home game of Chelsea against Barca last season's CHL, he was pure magic. He was way better than Hazard in the game. Perisic only advantage to Willian, in my opinion, is strength and work rate. Regarding strength, I don't call that a big advantage, because it looses other attributes.

I agree Chelsea would agree to sell to Barca before us, and will possibly do that if they want to sell him, but in that case, I wouldn't be interested for Perisic, but would go and find a pure RW who's main position is RW like Willian is.

Sanche7

Like I said on the twitter thread, this signing makes perfect sense.

We only have 4 players at the club who can play left wing, we clearly are in dire need of another one.
He's a physical beast who puts in a 10/10 shift every time. He's like a left sided Valencia.Why can't he play as a LWB?

Sanche7

Sanchez is not brilliant on the right. He's main position is on the left, and we cannot ruin our possibly best player on a position he's not comfortable. Perisic to me doesn't seem a player who can do magic, while Willian certainly is. In my opinion, he has better crosses, better shots, is a natural right winger, better 1 vs 1, has a better vision. As example, I recall the home game of Chelsea against Barca last season's CHL, he was pure magic. He was way better than Hazard in the game. Perisic only advantage to Willian, in my opinion, is strength and work rate. Regarding strength, I don't call that a big advantage, because it looses other attributes.

I agree Chelsea would agree to sell to Barca before us, and will possibly do that if they want to sell him, but in that case, I wouldn't be interested for Perisic, but would go and find a pure RW who's main position is RW like Willian is.
Aaah the Willian is a pure RW theory.
I don't watch much/any of Chelsea except when we play them but this is from Whoscored

Position Apps Goals Assists Rating
Sub 20 1 0 6.26
AMC 19 6 4 7.63
FWR 9 2 5 7.70
MR 1 0 0 6.72

He appears to have played mostly as a CAM for Chelsea. Yes he played as RW in WC but that's because of the system Tite played and by the looks of it, he's better as CAM

Secondly Chelsea rejected a bid of 53 million pounds for him. How much do you thin they would want from us for him? Especially after the whole Matic transfer pissing off chelsea fans?60 million?
Not to mention he is way too inconsistent and turns up occasionally

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Would be great for Lukaku to have a winger that can provide proper service.

SuperiorXI

Can someone explain why it's such rocket science to play on the right if you play on the left usually? Why performances can't be just as good?

Zlatattack

He's a physical beast who puts in a 10/10 shift every time. He's like a left sided Valencia.Why can't he play as a LWB?
I'm sure he could (i've no idea about his defensive contribution), but we play mostly with a flat back 4, and for £50 million maybe we could but someone who's been playing that role (or similar) their whole career? Like Sandro?

Champagne Football

I'd take Bale any day over both of them but would delighted with either of them for a couple of seasons until Rashford is ready to be a starter.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is general football, not transfer, and there is zero chance you guys sign perisic this summer. Move on :lol:

Sanche7

I'm sure he could (i've no idea about his defensive contribution), but we play mostly with a flat back 4, and for £50 million maybe we could but someone who's been playing that role (or similar) their whole career? Like Sandro?
Where's the 50 million coming from?
I didn't read the article, is it mentioned that we are buying him for 50 million pounds?

Zlatattack

Can someone explain why it's such rocket science to play on the right if you play on the left usually? Why performances can't be just as good?
Not sure, but I bet these are contributing factors;

1. stronger and weaker feet. Some players are clearly better with one than the other.
2. I think a lot of the moves players make on the pitch are engrained into them, like muscle memory. Their bodies are used to moving in a certain way to beat their opponents. Maybe if they switch wings, it's something they have to adapt? Maybe they can't be 100% on the opposite wing because of it?

i don't know for sure, im making it up.

Zlatattack

Where's the 50 million coming from?
I didn't read the article, is it mentioned that we are buying him for 50 million pounds?
that was the figure being floated around last year i think. I doubt being a world cup finalist is going to make him cheaper.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
In Perisic's case I think he's more comfortable crossing with his left foot (he is right footed though isn't he?)

In a Martial/Rashford/Sanchez case their finishing style obviously has to change given the different area of the pitch

Jev

He's the prototype Mourinho player. A winger who has some skill and penetration but is also very disciplined, unflashy, and works well for the team. He's a good player, no doubt, but not what we need when we already have two better players (Sanchez, Martial) in his preferred position. And with him being 29, it would be a nonsensical signing.

So I have no doubt we'll buy him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
"Perisic is the kind of winger that is different to the others," he said. "Normally you look at wingers and they are just fast and creative. "But he is also physical, very physical. Fantastic in the air

"So the way he wins that ball in the air [for Mandzukic’s goal] and puts the ball into that space is only possible if you are very, very physical and dominant over defenders. So he was amazing by going there and winning that ball in the air."
Quotes from Jose... still got a hard on for him blatantly

UpWithRivers

..........Bailly.....Smalling......Alderweild..

..Willian......................................Perisic..

Based on rumours...Maybe that's what he wants to do....

Nick.

Looks good on paper but I feel we would struggle to attack with this system, much like England did at the World Cup. Two great strikers, but I think we need a better ball player there in addition to Lindelöf. If we had Alderweireld as well for example that would be useful to our build up but as it is, we would not consistently break down teams that sit deep and go for a 0-0.

haram

They absolutely are better than him and have more potential than him. He's 29 at the moment, and he is not getting better. Re Sanchez, we all know his quality, give him some time and we will see the real him.
They are 100% not better than Perisic at LW.

Big Chomp

That was tongue in cheek, geez. Lighten up:D
I think united could offer sanchez or martial for him. Wasnt he tried at lwb for inter and was terrible, I also believe he's both footed a rarity in today's game.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
You've just lied through your teeth. At best you'll get cautious optimism about a signing like Perisic. You generally get overhype on star signings like Sanchez or Pogba.
How often is a player hyped up cause we are linked with him? Seems like you dont spend your time on the caf over the summer

GM K

Still doesn’t deal with the possibility that Pogba is unsuited to a middle two? I think either way having a better plan b could only be good for us, we were better but still too predictable last season. Call me optimistic but I have very high hopes for lindelof and especially Sanchez this season
This World Cup has debunked that notion.

Tarrou

does this lad play on the right at all? We've got enough players who prefer to play on the left

GM K

He's the prototype Mourinho player. A winger who has some skill and penetration but is also very disciplined, unflashy, and works well for the team. He's a good player, no doubt, but not what we need when we already have two better players (Sanchez, Martial) in his preferred position. And with him being 29, it would be a nonsensical signing.So I have no doubt we'll buy him.
Martial? In terms of potential, yes. Martial has a very high ceiling and one can argue that perhaps by the time he is 29, he would have surpassed Perisic at the same age. But right now? Not at all. Perisic is more disciplined, more hardworking, more dynamic (he can play left, right and center of the front line. He can also defend almost as much as he atacks), two footed, better in the air, better with set pieces and of course, more experienced. The only thing Martial has over Perisic at the moment is a better dribbling skill. Perisic would have made this French squad. I am sure of that.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Martial? In terms of potential, yes. Martial has a very high ceiling and one can argue that perhaps by the time he is 29, he would have surpassed Perisic at the same age. But right now? Not at all. Perisic is more disciplined, more hardworking, more dynamic (he can play left, right and center of the front line. He can also defend almost as much as he atacks), two footed, better in the air, better with set pieces and of course, more experienced. The only thing Martial has over Perisic at the moment is a better dribbling skill. Perisic would have made this French squad. I am sure of that.
He really is. Not watched him befor this WC and can’t work out which foot he prefers. I think he’s left footed?

ti vu

He really is. Not watched him befor this WC and can’t work out which foot he prefers. I think he’s left footed?
Uses his right foot more, but he can always use his left foot at will like it's natural strong foot.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
well in general it depends on your preffered foot, it's good to have a winger who can cut in and take a shot. On the other hand to go by the line and put in a cross. Perisic in that sense is great because he's got goo both feet, so can do both. Think we even need someone who will stay on the line and put in crosses for Lukaku, so Perisic would make sense to me on the right as well.

I also think he's a strong and hardworking player who is not afraid to win the ball, so he could play wingback easily and maybe transfored into a fullback later in his career if he's not effective enough on the wing. would be perfect as he could cover both fullback positions and we could save money and space for some talents from the academy, on the bench etc.