Jack Grealish | Man City

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was better as a winger. Playing him as a CM just won't get the best out of him IMO.

romufc

Or just very good English players. There's always that premium. Or you know, Coutinho :D
And we know how that ended... so you never know.

I think everyone looks at Grealish and he just doesn't seem the City player. In my eyes he is a pure entertainer, he needs to play for a club with history where he will be adored and stadiums will sing for him. Almost like at the Euros.

You will get about 50 fans singing for you at City;.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
And we know how that ended... so you never know.

I think everyone looks at Grealish and he just doesn't seem the City player. In my eyes he is a pure entertainer, he needs to play for a club with history where he will be adored and stadiums will sing for him. Almost like at the Euros.

You will get about 50 fans singing for you at City;.
Yup. I used to hate when people on here were saying "he's a United player" a year ago, but it's absolutely true. He's perfectly suited for Old Trafford. Hope the piss easy trophies would have been worth it.

romufc

Yup. I used to hate when people on here were saying "he's a United player" a year ago, but it's absolutely true. He's perfectly suited for Old Trafford. Hope the piss easy trophies would have been worth it.
I do think he would have suited United under Ole. We allow players to express themselves and that is what Grealish wants to do.

Look at Villa, he was adored by the crowd and that is what drives him, he likes that pressure and the love.

Unfortunately, he is getting the opposite now, opposition fans are booing him.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
I do think he would have suited United under Ole. We allow players to express themselves and that is what Grealish wants to do.

Look at Villa, he was adored by the crowd and that is what drives him, he likes that pressure and the love.

Unfortunately, he is getting the opposite now, opposition fans are booing him.
Yeah that's one thing I noticed about him yesterday and with England, he seems almost stifled. Shoehorned into a rigid system. Dean Smith let him express himself and that's what made him so exciting and you're right I think Ole would have been the same. I know players want trophies and that seems to be the endgame, but surely there has to be space in the heart for wanting to be adored by fans and putting on a show? Otherwise you're just a bit of a robot going through the motions for a very well oiled (no pun intended) machine.

Stacks

Not sure where Squealish fits into this Coventry team. He seemed to be wanting to occupy the same space as Sterling, leaving them unbalanced. Left a huge gap in the midfield for 36 year old Fernandinho to cover. Spurs countered down that side over and over.

De Bruyne was only on for 10 mins, but instantly showed the gulf in class.

Jack is a luxury player, who will never achieve the same numbers as Bruno.
different player. He is more a Silva than a Bruno

romufc

Yeah that's one thing I noticed about him yesterday and with England, he seems almost stifled. Shoehorned into a rigid system. Dean Smith let him express himself and that's what made him so exciting and you're right I think Ole would have been the same. I know players want trophies and that seems to be the endgame, but surely there has to be space in the heart for wanting to be adored by fans and putting on a show? Otherwise you're just a bit of a robot going through the motions for a very well oiled (no pun intended) machine.
Yep, some players are just natural entertainers, Grealish is one of those. Not just United, I also think he would have the same at Liverpool, the way they let Mane, Salah and the like express themselves where its not too rigid like you say.

We saw yesterday, he wasn't sure where to be, he wants to be on the left drifting in rather than start central and drifting out.

Lets see how Pep fits him in.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
His most impressive feat for me is making me realize you can in fact have punchable hair.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I think it's less to do with him being a City player now and more to do with people wanting to be vindicated on their "he's overrated" stance. It was the same during the Euros while he was still a Villa player and probably would have been the same had he went to Chelsea or something.
No it’s him being a city player. He is overrated though. I mean when people say he’s on another level to Fernandes — that overrating a player.

Paxi

Those cringe posts are much better than what Grealish fan boys came up with.( "OMG We missed the trick again" "We are left behind again" "Shows how far we have fallen" "OMG I can't watch best player in the league now" )

I meant this summer and also he didn't come as we didn't make an acceptable bid. We thought we will get him for good price, we didn't and we didn't even make a bid. That story was closed. Not sure why would any ManUtd fan hold that against Grealish. It's not like Ramos situation where he used us for better contract. Like I said, this is something you want to happen rather than what actually happened.

Ofcourse bit of common sense would say why the number is higher. One poster makes a daft claim, this is a forum with more than 1000 posters online, even if 50 posters respond to that, it will obviously be higher. It's same in any thread when one or two posters make daft claims and you will have many posters who will reply to that post.

Also if anyone rates Grealish highly (and didn't come up with Ronaldinho, Zidnane, Best player in the league thing), not sure why they take the bait. When people post mocking posts, it's for the right audience, the one who came up with daft posts.

There are posts which are to mock the daft posts and then there are so many posts which analyzed his performance without any hyperboles, just like how there are posts which praised Grealish without hyperboles and the daft ones. You have both type of posts from both sides.
And yet I feel only one side is taking the piss. The other is deadly serious.

Paxi

His most impressive feat for me is making me realize you can in fact have punchable hair.
I’m surprised that it’s something that’s noticed before the fact that he wears a kit that’s way too small for him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If we're picking clubs where he would have the biggest impact, IMO it's Chelsea. They need pure individuals in the 2 to play off the striker. They need players who can carry the ball and do a lot on their own, and Grealish would've suited that perfectly. At United, IMO, he doesn't get into the starting 11 with what we have right now if all are fit. At Liverpool he could play as a 10 but it would hurt their system more where they have workhorses in midfield to let the front 3 and wing backs be creators. At City, he doesn't fit in the midfield 3, and on the wing they are far better with pace and width and it's all about the team and system, which is pretty anti Grealish.

At Chelsea, he'd have the freedom to roam behind the main striker ahead of the 3-4 defence and midfield group. As it is, Chelsea is missing that type of player who can be the dynamic playmaker/game changer there, and Grealish will be stifled at City and just not fit in/not make them better balanced.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I’m surprised that it’s something that’s noticed before the fact that he wears a kit that’s way too small for him.
The hair though, he looks like the love child of Nick Carter and The Situation from Jersey Shore.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
They have to abide by FFP so much they're trying to sign Kane for 120 million.
This is why I can't rate Pep in the same category as Klopp or even Jose before he became a parody of himself.

It's one thing outspending other teams but he only seems to manage teams in situations where they outspend or outrank every other team in quality to the point it doesn't even matter if he fecks up.

It doesn't make him a bad manager but buying good player after good player until one fits and there aren't enough left for anyone else, and getting caught breaking rules in the process, isn't the same as being able to make average players into good ones, good ones into better ones, etc.

Then he moans when no one takes them seriously or gives them the same credit as other teams. Probably because winning a race with a car that's faster than anyone else's, and then cutting every corner on the track, isn't really a great achievement compared to actually proving you're the best driver.

Bobski

I compare him to Hazard, though I don't believe he has ever been close to peak Hazard. However, especially in his last couple of years at Chelsea it appeared like every attack had to go through him, saw a massive amount of the ball and his off the ball game was almost non-existent. Not going to be allowed to dominate the ball with better players around you so what else do you offer and can you adapt

I can't believe that Pep hasn't forseen this issue though, so he must believe that Grealish can be effective playing more off ball, making more runs into goal-scoring positions as a passing option and being part of an attack rather than the attack as he was at Villa. For all the whinging about Southgate not picking him perhaps he had justified doubts over this. Still stupidly early to write him off though, it was the right move for him to challenge himself as player rather than be a better version of Zaha, fun to watch but not really amounting to much in real terms.

Cantonaaa!

It just dawned on me that the reason for the low socks is because his calves are too massive. It’s probably uncomfortable to pull them all the way up, if not impossible. I’ve always known they were big but bloody hell. Jack did not skip leg day!

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
It just dawned on me that the reason for the low socks is because his calves are too massive. It’s probably uncomfortable to pull them all the way up, if not impossible. I’ve always known they were big but bloody hell. Jack did not skip leg day!
As somebody with calves that makes jacks look small... (lets not forget you're comparing him in photo's to other footballers who generally do not train calves), its absolute crap. Football socks are stretchy. They're not uncomfortable when pulled up.

It's entirely vanity.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he has achilles issues later in his career. One of the major draw backs to big calves is that it puts a lot of pressure on that tendons. Saving grace for Jack is that he will have access to remedial massages on the daily, but if he gets issues with them later in his career, he may end up in a world of discomfort.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Schweinsteiger had humongous calves, and he was also able to wear socks properly.

First player I noticed rolling their socks down was Rui Costa. Totti did it too, and then Thomas Muller. It's just a style thing, surely?

Also, wasn't his long term injury last season a shin injury? Was that due to his tiny shin pads, perhaps?

RedCurry

Schweinsteiger had humongous calves, and he was also able to wear socks properly.

First player I noticed rolling their socks down was Rui Costa. Totti did it too, and then Thomas Muller. It's just a style thing, surely?

Also, wasn't his long term injury last season a shin injury? Was that due to his tiny shin pads, perhaps?
He has calves of a body builder. I always wonder if that is sustainable for a footballer and whether that would result in too many lower body injuries as he gets older.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I mean he's explained why he does the low socks thing. He just wore it low one game at youth level for no real reason and he had a good game then kept it like that as some kind of good omen. That happened to become his breakout season at Villa and so he's just kept it like that ever since.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
As somebody with calves that makes jacks look small... (lets not forget you're comparing him in photo's to other footballers who generally do not train calves), its absolute crap. Football socks are stretchy. They're not uncomfortable when pulled up.

It's entirely vanity.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he has achilles issues later in his career. One of the major draw backs to big calves is that it puts a lot of pressure on that tendons. Saving grace for Jack is that he will have access to remedial massages on the daily, but if he gets issues with them later in his career, he may end up in a world of discomfort.
Wow, that's interesting, a buddy of mine had unusually large calves for the rest of his frame and he wound up exactly with achilles issues that's pretty much put him out of any intensive sports.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Wow, that's interesting, a buddy of mine had unusually large calves for the rest of his frame and he wound up exactly with achilles issues that's pretty much put him out of any intensive sports.
The funny thing about calves is that it's not a very useful muscle for most sports and their size will often be a genetic feature. Of course you can work on them but it rarely influences how fast, powerful or explosive a player will be. And training calves specifically is often detrimental to sports performance.

Cantonaaa!

It's entirely vanity.
It was a poor attempt at being funny from me. I wasn’t being serious.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
City seem to play at a slightly higher pace at their possesion football.

I wonder if this is because of Grealish.

Whilst it can have positives - I'm not sure completely that it will be better than how they played before.

Last edited:

Ekeke

It's entirely vanity.
This

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Wearing socks is uncomfortable for your calves. What's next? breathing too much oxygen is uncomfortable for your lung. These modern football players and fans.. Roy Keane would destroy them in one blink.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Wake me up when Guardiola tries him as a false 9

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Veron for me. I fecking loved Veron.

redrobed

All of City’s fans are probably saying the fee is justified now just because he scored yesterday but I have a few problems with that.

A) the ball literally just bounced off him. He literally scored by accident. There was no skill involved.

B)The score ended up being 5-0. Is it really worth £120m to finish 5-0 instead of 4-0? No.

3) Even if he’d scored 5 yesterday you don’t justify that sort of fee after one game. Calm down City fans with these ridiculous sorts of claims. Come back in 15 years then maybe we can talk about whether he justified the fee (he won’t have).

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
All of City’s fans are probably saying the fee is justified now just because he scored yesterday but I have a few problems with that.

A) the ball literally just bounced off him. He literally scored by accident. There was no skill involved.

B)The score ended up being 5-0. Is it really worth £120m to finish 5-0 instead of 4-0? No.

3) Even if he’d scored 5 yesterday you don’t justify that sort of fee after one game. Calm down City fans with these ridiculous sorts of claims. Come back in 15 years then maybe we can talk about whether he justified the fee (he won’t have).
Not a single person has said this because that will be a ridiculous statement.
Your last sentence is ridiculous because he doesn't need 15years to justify the transfer fee, neither do you or i or anybody else know what the future holds and how he'll perform the rest of the season, let alone the next 5 years.

Varun

Staff
It'll be interesting to see whether Pep goes for the KDB-Grealish central axis similar to when they had Silva or keeps Grealish on the left. Think it'll be the former.

Seeing the last 2 games though, Grealish needs to move the ball quicker. He's now surrounded by quality players so there's no need to hold it as much as he does. Think Pep will eventually get him there + having KDB will automatically flip that switch but it's very slow from him atm.