g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Can't see what's so great about this. Looked better against us at OT where we couldn't get near him. Hows his passing? Is he mainly about dribbling or a gifted passer too?
Only two players in the Premier League makes more passes into the penalty area from open play than Grealish, de Bruyne and Alexander-Arnold. But he still has a completion rate of 84,7 % for a team that average 77 %. de Bruyne and TAA is at 81,5 % and 76,6 % for team with an average completion rate of respectively 89,8 % and 84,2 %. This is an indication that he is able to play with very high risk, but not at the expense of completion rate. If you compare that to Bruno Fernandes, who makes a lot of high risk passes, he makes marginally fewer passes into the penalty area, but his completion rate is very low (71 %).

Grealish would be a composed option to Fernandes. While Fernandes has made a huge difference for us, I also think we have to remember that he came in for Lingard/Pereira. A good player would always be a huge improvement om these players. Maybe that difference has created a bit of a hype?

Grealish should not be our number one priority. Not at all. But I cant agree that we don't need him.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Only two players in the Premier League makes more passes into the penalty area from open play than Grealish, de Bruyne and Alexander-Arnold. But he still has a completion rate of 84,7 % for a team that average 77 %. de Bruyne and TAA is at 81,5 % and 76,6 % for team with an average completion rate of respectively 89,8 % and 84,2 %. This is an indication that he is able to play with very high risk, but not at the expense of completion rate. If you compare that to Bruno Fernandes, who makes a lot of high risk passes, he makes marginally fewer passes into the penalty area, but his completion rate is very low (71 %).

Grealish would be a composed option to Fernandes. While Fernandes has made a huge difference for us, I also think we have to remember that he came in for Lingard/Pereira. A good player would always be a huge improvement om these players. Maybe that difference has created a bit of a hype?

Grealish should not be our number one priority. Not at all. But I cant agree that we don't need him.
Good post.

I wish Grealish wasn’t an arsehole. I really do.

If he has the right mentality and maturity he could be good.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
strongly doubt we'll go for him with Villa being safe.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Don't see what the hype has been about. Apart from scoring a worldie against us, I can't think of a single moment where I've thought, " He'd be a useful addition." Don't see how he'd improve us over promoting Garner as an example.
For the price Villa would want, I'd look elsewhere for a cheaper and more athletic option.

Pep's Suit

Villa staying in PL probably adds another £20m+ to his value. Can't see Grealish move for less than £60m + add-ons.

ArjenIsM3

I have no issue to sign Grealish but we also need to understand the situation our defense is actually worse which something should sort it out before Grealish. Maguire been playing for 50 games in all comp, if our depth squad in defense is good enough, why can't we trust the squad player instead to rest him?

The Chelsea game pretty much sumps up that 3 of the back four were playing. You might want to provide competition for the defense as well.
I agree our defense could do with a new signing but we mustn't forget Tuanzebe has been unlucky with injuries for most of the season. He might still be a very good partner for Maguire. An option to rest Lindelof at least. Any new CB coming in is also dependant upon us selling the likes of Rojo, Smalling and Jones. If for example we are unable to sell Smalling I don't think we'll see a new CB coming in and we will probably use Smalling as a squad player to rest Maguire instead. These are mitigating circumstances that aren't there for the AM position. The difference in quality between (for example) Maguire and Smalling isn't as big as it is between Bruno and Pereira/Lingard. Also, if the choice is between us scoring more goals and playing more attractive football vs. us being more solid defensively I'm going with the former.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not comparing him in terms of quality or ability because he will never be as good (lack of passing etc) - but the way Grealish can move in to space by taking couple players out with a single dribble really reminds me of a toned down Iniesta at times.

It's how I see him in the future - what I see as a transitional midfielder; capable of playing deeper just to dribble in to an area that usually requires passing in that position before he looks for a pass in to the front 3 as he joins the attack.

Mr Smith

I don't see it like that. It's about competition and rotation. Grealish would need to win a spot in his preferred position to be part of our first xi, but that does not mean that he would not start regularly. We play 50 odd games a year and we've had lots of injuries and will have injuries or missed games. Furthermore, he is versatile and can play in any of the three attacking positions behind the striker. The notion that he is simply a LW/AM is false. Watch Villa and you will see how much he roams. In more recent games, he has spent a lot of time on the right. Finally, I believe Grealish would feel that he is better than Rashford or Greenwood. Competing with them is not a bad thing. To build ourselves, we need that competiton and quality in depth. Imagine having the option of a versatile player like Grealish keeping our quality high for all three positions behind the striker when rest is needed or injuries occur. It would mean that in attack, we would almost always have a strong xi. Further to that, Rashford does have stints of poor form as well. People are acting like he can't be displaced. Noone comes to a big team to sit on the bench, they come with the ambition of becoming a star for that team and can do that by winning their place in the first xi. I don't know why our fans are so scared of this.
Personally I think he is delusional if he reckons he's better than Rashford. You might be right that he'll think he can fight for his place and I agree that's a good thing. I'm less worried about him chucking a strop if he doesn't play enough, and more wondering out loud whether he might reconsider us as a destination on the basis that there isn't an obvious place in the team he slots straight into. Also I personally just don't think he's as good as others here do, and I think he might get a shock at how much he would need to up his game to start regularly for us.

I don't think there's a player of Grealish quality sitting on the bench of any bug team today
Bernado Silva says hi. Probably only temporarily though.

Stretender

This is a top post , very factual. People must stop underating Grealish just because he plays for Aston Villa. Signing any player is a gamble but we would be gambling less on Grealish. We know what he can do. Look at Jamie Vardy, he was playing for Halifax and Leicester gambled on him. The rest is history. The most obvious fact is that Grealish would be 10 times better than Lingard, Perreira and Mata. Get rid of those 3 and sign Grealish.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
This is a top post , very factual. People must stop underating Grealish just because he plays for Aston Villa. Signing any player is a gamble but we would be gambling less on Grealish. We know what he can do. Look at Jamie Vardy, he was playing for Halifax and Leicester gambled on him. The rest is history. The most obvious fact is that Grealish would be 10 times better than Lingard, Perreira and Mata. Get rid of those 3 and sign Grealish.
I don’t think anyone can reasonably doubt he’s a gifted footballer. I don’t think there is much debate to be had on that.

I do think there are serious concerns that he wouldn’t be a good team player in terms of being a squad option. I think he’d cause issues with his behaviour off the pitch and Ole doesn’t want that.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Personally I think he is delusional if he reckons he's better than Rashford. You might be right that he'll think he can fight for his place and I agree that's a good thing. I'm less worried about him chucking a strop if he doesn't play enough, and more wondering out loud whether he might reconsider us as a destination on the basis that there isn't an obvious place in the team he slots straight into. Also I personally just don't think he's as good as others here do, and I think he might get a shock at how much he would need to up his game to start regularly for us.

Bernado Silva says hi. Probably only temporarily though.
Exactly. City got Bernardo Silva as young player for the future not for rotation

G-manc

I thought he was really good last night - a really good outlet.

He's capable of going down easily but there is also times where his body strength/hold up play is excellent. You can see why he gets fouled a lot.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He'd be a great player if he could use his left foot at least a bit.
He’s very one footed and he’s the definition of a player who is overindulged. He’s got something about him, no doubt. But man are some people going overboard in here.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He’s very one footed and he’s the definition of a player who is overindulged. He’s got something about him, no doubt. But man are some people going overboard in here.
I think it's his 'swagga' and charisma that makes people go overboard. Even his hair and low socks people like to mock him with makes him like an enigma

crossy1686

career ending
He has? Have I missed a quote here?
Not directly but it's been well reported he's told them he's off in the summer and the club support him. He said last night in the post match when asked about a move "my only aim right now is keeping Villa in the PL". He would have out right said "no, I'm not leaving" if he wanted to quash that there and then.

theklr

His ability to push out of midfield when his team is under pressure is exactly what we need now. We clearly struggle massivly when teams are pressing us in our own half.

crossy1686

career ending
Unless they are going through some financial crisis they don't need to sell for less. Selling him would do more harm than good for them
They also don't want to keep a player that wants to leave so something has to give. Villa don't need the money anyway, didn't they spend something like £200m last summer? Isn't their owner mega oil rich?

crossy1686

career ending
His ability to push out of midfield when his team is under pressure is exactly what we need now. We clearly struggle massivly when teams are pressing us in our own half.
His trickery to get out of a tight spot last night and send the striker on his way was great, something we're sorely missing.

theklr

They also don't want to keep a player that wants to leave so something has to give. Villa don't need the money anyway, didn't they spend something like £200m last summer? Isn't their owner mega oil rich?
Yeah, at least now when FFP rules are relaxed they are in no kind of financial trouble when staying up.

I do think they have a gentlemans agreement with Grealish that he can go though. But that is ofcourse very dependent on the price.

romufc

Unless they are going through some financial crisis they don't need to sell for less. Selling him would do more harm than good for them
Villa are already in trouble, if you look at their finances they need to sell.

They spent £100m on transfers last summer.

They need money, so they will have to sell a few players, Grealish will bring in the biggest fee.

On a personal level, Grealish will want to leave, he has shown great loyalty to Villa because he was linked with Spurs 2 seasons ago and he wanted to bring Villa to the PL and keep them there.

He is now 24 and if teams like Manutd want him, he will probably force a move out.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Villa are already in trouble, if you look at their finances they need to sell.

They spent £100m on transfers last summer.

They need money, so they will have to sell a few players, Grealish will bring in the biggest fee.

On a personal level, Grealish will want to leave, he has shown great loyalty to Villa because he was linked with Spurs 2 seasons ago and he wanted to bring Villa to the PL and keep them there.

He is now 24 and if teams like Manutd want him, he will probably force a move out.
Villa aren’t in any trouble, they’re owned by a pair of billionaires who are happy to spend their own money on it.

The only issue was balancing the books for FFP if they got relegated but it’ll be fine if they stay up. They have no desperate need to sell for cut rate.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I do think there are serious concerns that he wouldn’t be a good team player in terms of being a squad option. I think he’d cause issues with his behaviour off the pitch and Ole doesn’t want that.
I can see that point. That being said, if we sign him I'm sure we will have talked about him with people who know him well. Tuanzebe for instance. Maybe even Steve Bruce.

And while one should be careful giving it to much weight, he is captain of a Premier League team. He was captain of a side who made a remarkable promotion. I'm not sure he is as bad as some make out. And I really do not trust the media in UK on it either.

That being said, he has made a few stupid mistakes. Those would be put under a whole other type of scrutiny if he played for Man Utd. But maybe it was a good thing that he made those mistakes at Villa. If he can learn from them and avoid repeating them at a bigger club.

Bondi77

Just saw him interviewed after the game,
Not sure if he is coming here but he is definitely going somewhere.

romufc

Villa aren’t in any trouble, they’re owned by a pair of billionaires who are happy to spend their own money on it.

The only issue was balancing the books for FFP if they got relegated but it’ll be fine if they stay up. They have no desperate need to sell for cut rate.
Yes, now with the relaxation of the FFP however; they published a £70m loss in March which shows how heavily reliant they are on the owners.

They will still need to balance the books.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not directly but it's been well reported he's told them he's off in the summer and the club support him. He said last night in the post match when asked about a move "my only aim right now is keeping Villa in the PL". He would have out right said "no, I'm not leaving" if he wanted to quash that there and then.
To me this suggests he's undecided in committing either way, rather being set in his mind to leave the club.

Idxomer

Villa would demand at least 60m.
And he would be worth it, probably better value than what we paid last summer for defenders.

If Sancho is a done deal though, I think the club will have to sell before spending that kind of money on another player.

Bondi77

Maybe that journo was right when he said he was our no.1 target.
He might be our #11 and Greenwood our #7 if Inter are serious about Sanchez.

Stretender

I don’t think anyone can reasonably doubt he’s a gifted footballer. I don’t think there is much debate to be had on that.

He can't be worse than Rooney and Giggs. Sleeping with your brothers wife for over a long period and cheating on your wife numerous times with prostitutes did not stop the football side of Rooney and Giggs to come to the fore. They both left the club as legends in their own right. The mistakes that Grealish makes off the pitch are typical lad style behaviour, they would dissaper if he got married. Too much money basically. When all is said and done and they boy hangs up his boots, people will talk about him as a footballer not a Priest.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I can see that point. That being said, if we sign him I'm sure we will have talked about him with people who know him well. Tuanzebe for instance. Maybe even Steve Bruce.

And while one should be careful giving it to much weight, he is captain of a Premier League team. He was captain of a side who made a remarkable promotion. I'm not sure he is as bad as some make out. And I really do not trust the media in UK on it either.

That being said, he has made a few stupid mistakes. Those would be put under a whole other type of scrutiny if he played for Man Utd. But maybe it was a good thing that he made those mistakes at Villa. If he can learn from them and avoid repeating them at a bigger club.
I trust Ole and our team to consider his personality above all else too. If they sign him then whilst I won’t like it I’ll accept their judgement.

He definitely drunk drove during lockdown. He ran away so as not to be breathalised.

I guess I don’t have faith that he’ll stop making these stupid mistakes. He’s 25 now so he’s had his time to learn from previous issues.

I always come back to thinking if I compare his behaviour to someone he’s competing with Marcus Rashford the difference is staggering. Rashford looks outwards how can I help Grealish’s inwards.

In my experience rarely do those self centred views change.

He can't be worse than Rooney and Giggs. Sleeping with your brothers wife for over a long period and cheating on your wife numerous times with prostitutes did not stop the football side of Rooney and Giggs to come to the fore. They both left the club as legends in their own right. The mistakes that Grealish makes off the pitch are typical lad style behaviour, they would dissaper if he got married. Too much money basically. When all is said and done and they boy hangs up his boots, people will talk about him as a footballer not a Priest.
Might sound odd but those instances didn’t bother me as much. Clearly they were dickheads but it’s different when you do it when the whole nation is in lockdown people are dying and you just want to get pissed and party.

I think it would be easier to forgive if Rashford wasn’t so bloody good in lockdown. It to me feels wrong for him to be in the same squad as a younger better player who made an entire nation proud in its darkest hours.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Let me ask you something, who Grealish & Sancho will replace in the same line up against Chelsea?

I can see Sancho replace Bruno's spot against Chelsea but I can't see Grealish replace Fred or James/Rashford spot against Chelsea.

Look at the minutes Maguire been playing this season! He's been playing for 50 games in all comp, only missing 2 cup games & 1 Europa League. You kinda wonder why he's been dropping performance recently since the restart. We need to spend the money on defense first before on someone like Grealish.
If we had Grealish and Sancho we would have had a number of different options.

1) Grealish replace Bruno and Sancho replace James.

2) We could have rotated better during this period of lots of games so that Martial and/or Greenwood didn't need to be rested against Chelsea.

3) We could have played our normal 4231 formation.

In terms of our defence, I do agree that if we can find the right player that it is a higher priority. But that is a very big 'if'. There is no real stand-out option that is close to a sure-thing while being available at a decent price. That's what might make Grealish such a good buy - he's close to a certainty to work out fairly well (with the potential to be better) and available for a fair price. Well, that might have completely changed with Villa looking likely to stay up now, but it was the case before. But in theory at least, the two of them together with what we have sorts our entire attacking lineup for the better part of the next decade.

It should also be noted that defenders don't get rotated anywhere near as much as the attacking players. I do think Maguire should have been given a couple of extra games off over the course of the season, but I'd still be expecting him to be hitting 50 matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.