Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

I'm confused. What's so special about that performance?
They played very defensive and he got them out numerous times, creating a couple of good chances. Arsenal couldn't get the ball off him and he won a lot of fouls. It was more of a really good tactical display in a very high pressure game for him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They played very defensive and he got them out numerous times, creating a couple of good chances. Arsenal couldn't get the ball off him and he won a lot of fouls. It was more of a really good tactical display in a very high pressure game for him.
Thanks. I didn't watch the game. But if that clip is the best bits of him vs Arsenal, it was a bit underwhelming.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't see it like that. It's about competition and rotation. Grealish would need to win a spot in his preferred position to be part of our first xi, but that does not mean that he would not start regularly. We play 50 odd games a year and we've had lots of injuries and will have injuries or missed games. Furthermore, he is versatile and can play in any of the three attacking positions behind the striker. The notion that he is simply a LW/AM is false. Watch Villa and you will see how much he roams. In more recent games, he has spent a lot of time on the right. Finally, I believe Grealish would feel that he is better than Rashford or Greenwood. Competing with them is not a bad thing. To build ourselves, we need that competiton and quality in depth. Imagine having the option of a versatile player like Grealish keeping our quality high for all three positions behind the striker when rest is needed or injuries occur. It would mean that in attack, we would almost always have a strong xi. Further to that, Rashford does have stints of poor form as well. People are acting like he can't be displaced. Noone comes to a big team to sit on the bench, they come with the ambition of becoming a star for that team and can do that by winning their place in the first xi. I don't know why our fans are so scared of this.
Do we need Grealish as a Bruno or Rashford backup?

What's wrong with this:
DM Fred
Sancho - Pogba - Rashford
Martial

And this:

DM Pogba
Greenwood - Sancho - Rashford
Martial

Or this:

DM Pogba
Greenwood - Bruno - Sancho
Martial​

I have no issue with signing him but probably not at this stage where we need to improve other position.

arnie_ni

1. If Villa stays up, how much will he cost?
2. When everyone is fit, is he going to start, or just sit on bench?

IMO, we shouldn’t fork more than 35m for a bench player.
This is why i wanted them down all year. Thought 30ish mil would have done it then

jamesjimmybyrondean

What's wrong with this:
DM Fred
Martial

And this:

DM Pogba
Martial

Or this:

DM Pogba
Martial​

I have no issue with signing him but probably not at this stage where we need to improve other position.
Even though I agree we need one. I'm quite positive we are not getting a DM this window at least

arnie_ni

What's wrong with this:
DM Fred
Martial

And this:

DM Pogba
Martial

Or this:

DM Pogba
Martial​

Because pogba is starting every game in all your options which shows your short a player

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I would be careful to make any conclusions on his potential or where he could play on the pitch based on what he does for this quite poor Villa-team. When he is on the ball he has very few limitations. And he is not to shabby off the ball either. Last night he made a very good defensive contribution overall. I understand that Smith play him in an attacking position as he is the only player who can create for Villa and he can do it on his own. But that is not to say that he don't have the positional awareness or discipline to play deeper. He clearly enjoys having the ball deeper in the pitch.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Nobody thinks that. Most just don't think we can afford both this summer given the hit we have had to take on from the pandemic.

If it's one or the other then it's Sancho everytime.
Honestly, you seem to be one of the few who think it is one or the other. Most think it's Sancho plus another, and then the debate is whether the other should be Grealish or somebody else.

Of course, if Villa stay up and demand a stupid price then it's a completely different ballgame and we won't be able to get both. We'll definitely look somewhere else for the 'other'.

fps

I imagine were Grealish to join he would be the cover/ alternative for Pogba and Bruno in the system and obviously Fred and McTominay are the Matic cover DM options. Grealish would then need to be the Pogba slightly more box to box in possession midfielder or the 10. He can provide cover elsewhere.

I understand how he would also fit in, along with Sancho, and the first season especially he would start lots of matches but not expect to start every game coming to a much bigger club and getting up to speed. He would need to learn that slightly deeper role he’d often be asked to play. At that point United’s attacking options would be outrageous.

arnie_ni

DM Fred
Martial​

Say what?
How do you not see we lack depth all across the team?

2 or 3 changes against chelsea and we get hammered.

Bruno is run into the ground and we only signed him in january.

Look at citys depth for the past few years. We need better players for injury rotation out of form than jesse andreas mata and James. Look at the minutes theyve all played this year.

Or squad is dross

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is reliant upon us bringing in a new DM. Big chance that's not happening.
Don't think I meant it as signing DM.

Back Four
DM Fred
Striker
If I do this, are you going to say that I'm thinking about getting a new striker & the whole back four? The point is that we are focusing on the idea why people think we need Grealish when we have Sancho & Fred can cover Pogba, Bruno & Rashford spot.

Redfrog

I haven't seen Grealish a lot. I've seen him yesterday in the second half.

He is sound technically and can pass and drive the ball at his feet.

He is a good player from what I've seen.

I don't get how people see the squad as an entity with settled starters and settled bench warmers. It is what we have now and it just show that our bench is not good enough.

A great team has competition. Players need to know that if they don't perform they will be benched no matter who they are. With better players the training will be more intense and of better quality. Players will want to show that they deserve to be in the team for next match.

That is the standards Fergie fixed. I remember former players saying that training will be more intense then games themselves. That what makes great squads.

So I will be OK with him as he look class on the ball and will fight to play I think .

But I think we have more urgent priorities as well, as someone to compete with Matic, a great RW (Sancho), a full back to compete with Shaw or Wan-Bissaka ( I don't think Williams is good enough) and a central defender.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Look at citys depth for the past few years. We need better players for injury rotation out of form than jesse andreas mata and James. Look at the minutes theyve all played this year.

Or squad is dross
Let me ask you something, who Grealish & Sancho will replace in the same line up against Chelsea?

I can see Sancho replace Bruno's spot against Chelsea but I can't see Grealish replace Fred or James/Rashford spot against Chelsea.

Look at the minutes Maguire been playing this season! He's been playing for 50 games in all comp, only missing 2 cup games & 1 Europa League. You kinda wonder why he's been dropping performance recently since the restart. We need to spend the money on defense first before on someone like Grealish.

Mcking

I maintain that we could be a lot smarter.

Spending big on him will at some point put us in a position where we have a new big money signing in the squad but unable to get him on the pitch and having to turn to the likes of McTominay.

romufc

To everyone who says we do not need Grealish, I am not even going to point out his performance yesterday, which was similar to how we set up against Chelsea and he took 3 Arsenal players out the game carrying it forward.

Grealish is someone who will not shy away from the ball, if we are under pressure, he will get on the ball, win fouls and help us get out.

How do we beat the press? buy players like him who are press resistant.

romufc

Let me ask you something, who Grealish & Sancho will replace in the same line up against Chelsea?

I can see Sancho replace Bruno's spot against Chelsea but I can't see Grealish replace Fred or James/Rashford spot against Chelsea.

Look at the minutes Maguire been playing this season! He's been playing for 50 games in all comp, only missing 2 cup games & 1 Europa League. You kinda wonder why he's been dropping performance recently since the restart. We need to spend the money on defense first before on someone like Grealish.
The point is if we had him, we would not need to change formation. We could easily have gone with a 4231 with Grealish replacing Bruno and Sancho replacing Eric Bailly.

pascell

Said for a while Sancho, Grealish +1 more signing would be a dream summer for me. Hopefully that +1 is a quality CB instead of ST like I said at the time and I think we'll be flying next season.

Who cares if he's a rotational player, if we want to start challenging for PL, CL and cups, you need that kind of quality in squad depth. With Sancho and Grealish, bar ST, our attack and Midfield is fine for next season. Add a quality CB then we'd only be cherry picking positions to improve.

We won't get a better chance than this transfer window to improve the depth in quality of our squad.

onemanarmy

Have said it couple of times, would take Grealish over Van de Beek in a heartbeat. He has that extra flair, is English, is accustomed to the league and creates chances out of nowhere. I'd love our team to be an integral part of the English NT. AWB, Maguire, Sancho, Grealish, Rashford, Henderson...

ArjenIsM3

Don't think I meant it as signing DM.

Back Four
DM Fred
Striker
If I do this, are you going to say that I'm thinking about getting a new striker & the whole back four? The point is that we are focusing on the idea why people think we need Grealish when we have Sancho & Fred can cover Pogba, Bruno & Rashford spot.
No, if you do it like this it's obvious what you mean. You'd have to be really naive to think we're getting a new back four, DM, Sancho and a striker in one summer :lol:

I can see your point and yes some of our players can play in multiple positions but I still don't think it's enough. If your only AM cover is your starting RW then I think you're going to have a hard time resting them let alone providing them with competition. It's 6 players for 4 positions. 4 starters. Greenwood and James as back-up players. James for the LW and Greenwood for the RW/ST. Still leaves Bruno with absolutely no competition. Unless you count the likes of Pereira as competition.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The point is if we had him, we would not need to change formation. We could easily have gone with a 4231 with Grealish replacing Bruno and Sancho replacing Eric Bailly.
May be 3 at the back was the original plan against Chelsea. We’ve been beating most of these top teams with 3 at the back formation.

The point of rotating is not rotating the whole XI but rotating 4-5 players unless if we are playing in non important game or against championship/league 1 teams in cup competition.

Chelsea only made 3 rotation players from their line up against Norwich. We made 4 changes and should have been 5 if we play Romero instead. We looked shite because the schedule was unfair to us and they had 48 hours extra for rest.

Hoboman

Him and Buendia would add much needed creativity and versatility to the side.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He steps up under pressure and he'd be a damn good signing wherever he ends up. I think he perfectly fits the DNA of the side Solskjær is looking to build.

hubbuh

You could say Grealish was more of a sure bet than Bruno when he was at sporting though so Grealish becoming rotation to him is a nice turn around. Why are people getting triggered?? :lol: .
To be fair you're the only one getting triggered as a result of people refuting your point. Or is someone 'triggered' simply for having the audacity to disagree?

hubbuh

What's wrong with this:
DM Fred
Martial

And this:

DM Pogba
Martial

Or this:

DM Pogba
Martial​

If Lingard, Pereira and Mata are all leaving, as they should, then Grealish will easily get 30+ games for us. That's assuming there are no big injuries for us in midfield/forward positions (see Pogba, Rashford and McTominay).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can't see what's so great about this. Looked better against us at OT where we couldn't get near him. Hows his passing? Is he mainly about dribbling or a gifted passer too?

Stretender

Or squad is dross
Good point. People don't see past the first team, we need to look at the bigger picture and the bigger picture is that we lack a quality squad depth. Buying Sancho and adding Grealish seriously improves the squad. Aren't people complaining about De Gea's performances? The main reason for his recent displays is that he lacks competition. Signing Grealish and Sancho will provide the much needed competition for places and players will perform better for fear of being dropped. We play too many games , players are bound to get injured and we need a big quality squad. We shouldn't miss out on Grealish, we will regret when City buy him. Guardiola likes him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No, if you do it like this it's obvious what you mean. You'd have to be really naive to think we're getting a new back four, DM, Sancho and a striker in one summer :lol:

I can see your point and yes some of our players can play in multiple positions but I still don't think it's enough. If your only AM cover is your starting RW then I think you're going to have a hard time resting them let alone providing them with competition. It's 6 players for 4 positions. 4 starters. Greenwood and James as back-up players. James for the LW and Greenwood for the RW/ST. Still leaves Bruno with absolutely no competition. Unless you count the likes of Pereira as competition.
I have no issue to sign Grealish but we also need to understand the situation our defense is actually worse which something should sort it out before Grealish. Maguire been playing for 50 games in all comp, if our depth squad in defense is good enough, why can't we trust the squad player instead to rest him?

The Chelsea game pretty much sumps up that 3 of the back four were playing. You might want to provide competition for the defense as well.

Deery

Dreary
Henderson

Wan Bissaka Maguire Lindelöf Digne

Pogba

Grealish Bruno

Greenwood Martial Rashford​

I’d be happy with that transfer window if we could get Grealish for around the £50m and Digne for something similar.
Midfield might be defensively a bit weaker with Pogba as a 6 but the creativity and work rate off the three should cover that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If Lingard, Pereira and Mata are all leaving, as they should, then Grealish will easily get 30+ games for us. That's assuming there are no big injuries for us in midfield/forward positions (see Pogba, Rashford and McTominay).
Sure. So that means another 50 games plus for Maguire then.

Adamsk7

There’s no way he’s going to want to come here to sit on the bench and no way we will pay £50m for someone who we think will sit on the bench either. He’d walk in to any side other than us, City, Chelsea and Liverpool and at 24, he’s got to have ambitions of being a starter.
I can see Wolves, Leicester, Everton all being interested between £40/50m and if I were him I’d look at those teams and think “I could be one of the first names on the team sheet”.

If he has ambition to win things and he thinks he’s got what it takes to displace Pogba, Bruno or Rashford on the left and we genuinely think he can too, then fine.

padzilla

Hipster
I think he would be a quality addition to give depth to the squad but if we're going to be held to ransom then forget about it as we have urgent need for a better centre-half and a decent holding midfielder as well as a right sided attacker to go into the first team immediately.

crossy1686

career ending
In all seriousness, there's some pretty good players available in the bottom 4 teams that would definitely improve our depth.

Grealish
McGinn
Buendia
Cantwell
Max Aarons
Ake
Brooks
Cook
Doucoure
Sarr

Status
Not open for further replies.