Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne Football

With Villa probably staying up, they'll be charging at least £80 million. Maybe City will pay it.

We won't have that kind of cash after Sancho unless we flog more players than expected, so unlikely indeed

croadyman

Didn't expect that non committal answer from him there
Yeah that definitely took me by surprise as well,wonder if we could consider signing him & VDB.

I know there is no chance of that happening but don't see them as the same type of player at all.

croadyman

I'm convinced he'd be an instant success at Old Trafford, in a similar way to Bruno. He has the right mentality and arrogance to succeed here.
I'm convinced he would be a success at this club too, he definitely has that confidence and swagger to play here.

My gut feeling though is that we have switched our focus to Van Der Beek so can't see him joining us too.

croadyman

Get Grealish, Donny and Sancho. Get rid of all the deadwood (Mata, Lingard, Pereira).

Matic (Fred/McT) - Pogba (Donny/McT)
Sancho (Greenwood/James) - Bruno (Grealish/Donny) - Rashford (Grealish/James)
Martial (Ighalo/Greenwood)

That's 30+ starts for all of Pogba, Donny, Bruno, Grealish, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood and Martial.

We're starting the season a full month later than normal with next to no pre season. There will be games every 3 days for most of the season. We need all the depth we can get.

We simply have to get to a level where we can handle injuries/fatigue/rotation without needing to resort to liability players. If people haven't realised that by now then they need to quit watching football and find themselves a new hobby.
Couldn't afford a CB as well then

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've flirted with the idea of Grealish being good enough for us. But from the little I see or Villa, he seems to be an attacker. And I'm not sure we can afford now spending on another attacker who isn't Sancho, isn't very quick and doesn't score lots of goals. Signing him only makes sense of his midfield play, playmaking, link play is quality. If we're going for alternative for Pogba and Fernandes then he needs to offer those top qualities of an attacking midfield. We don't want another LW cutting in and adding nothing to the squad.

amolbhatia50k

He's soooo good.

If it comes down to a choice between him and van de beek then it's Grealish all day everyday.

He offers something none of our other midfielders can do on a consistent basis - resisting pressing opposition and carrying the ball forwards from deep. On top of that, his versatility would be a HUGE bonus, too.

Sign, Ole!
We definitely need that. How good is in under pressure and in tight spaces?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I honestly have no idea what people see in him. I'd rather get DvB
As well as his press resistance being something we're in dire need of as a team in general, he is one of the best playmakers in the world. He's 2nd only to De Bryune in chances created this season playing for a pretty poor Aston Villa team.

We definitely need that. How good is in under pressure and in tight spaces?
Already one of the best in the world, imo. The way he turns under pressure is the spits of David Silva.

At the start of the season, way before the hype kicked in, I likened him to Arthur Melo. At the time, Grealish was playing as a CM - which will probably be his primary position in a top team - and the way he turned under pressure and baited opposition players into fouling him because they couldn't get the ball off of him was identical.

I didn't think at the time he was better than Arthur but I do now. Not only does he resist pressure as well as him, he's 10 times the player from a creative standpoint. Second only to De Bryune in England this season.

amolbhatia50k

That’s weird. He isn’t really a central midfielder. He is much more of a LW/#10.
He's a midfielder and so is Pogba who is one our two quality attack minded midfielders. I imagine this chap would be the third. As a LW there's no point going for him, we really dont need an expensive second choice LW.

amolbhatia50k

Come on Utd just go out there and get both of them because will be plenty of minutes to go round next season.
Both of whom - VDB and Grealish? It would make no sense. We need proper CMs of high quality too. Can't keep signing attacking midfielders.

gajender

As well as his press resistance being something we're in dire need of as a team in general, he is one of the best playmakers in the world. He's 2nd only to De Bryune in chances created this season playing for a pretty poor Aston Villa team.

Already one of the best in the world, imo. The way he turns under pressure is the spits of David Silva.

At the start of the season, way before the hype kicked in, I likened him to Arthur Melo. At the time, Grealish was playing as a CM - which will probably be his primary position in a top team - and the way he turned under pressure and baited opposition players into fouling him because they couldn't get the ball off of him was identical.

I didn't think at the time he was better than Arthur but I do now. Not only does he resist pressure as well as him, he's 10 times the player from a creative standpoint. Second only to De Bryune in England this season.
How do you think we need to line up If we get Grealish ,I also think he would be brilliant Cm as one of the three in the middle but as Ole seems to prefer 4231 as his primary formation it would be real dilemma how to get best out of him and other's.

Yagami

Good post resistant
How do you think we need to line up If we get Grealish ,I also think he would be brilliant Cm as one of the three in the middle but as Ole seems to prefer 4231 as his primary formation it would be real dilemma how to get best out of him and other's.
I think we'll be the same as we are now, tbh. The only difference will be that If we sub one of Pogba or Fernandes out, or rest one, there won't be a huge drop in quality and we'll still be able to create and control the midfield.

I see Grealish as similar quality of Pogba and Fernandes so I think we'll rotate between the three throughout the season. Like City with Gundogan, Silva and De Bryune in recent years.

croadyman

Both of whom - VDB and Grealish? It would make no sense. We need proper CMs of high quality too. Can't keep signing attacking midfielders.
If you have seen the scout report article on VDB it shows he can play in a deeper role too so could maybe cover Pogba.

In terms of Grealish we could rotate him with Rashford on the LW but could also cover Bruno too

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He's a midfielder and so is Pogba who is one our two quality attack minded midfielders. I imagine this chap would be the third. As a LW there's no point going for him, we really dont need an expensive second choice LW.
Well obviously if we are getting him it isnt specifically for the LW role. Its an added bonus he is versatile. But Pogba ever since the restart has been deployed as a #8 or a deeper midfielder next to Matic . Grealish isnt suited to that role. He is more suited to the Bruno/AM role.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If you have seen the scout report article on VDB it shows he can play in a deeper role too so could maybe cover Pogba.

In terms of Grealish we could rotate him with Rashford on the LW but could also cover Bruno too
I disagree. I dont think we need both of VDB and Grealish. One of them and get a proper CM like Thiago to cover for Pogba. I actually think Odegaard is an alternative to both VDB and Grealish. They will all be around the same price if Villa get relegated, which is around 40-50m.

amolbhatia50k

We aren't paying such big money on two cover players.

Mr Smith

Do we think that a player like Grealish, captain and talisman of his current team, would accept not being first choice in any position?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Do we think that a player like Grealish, captain and talisman of his current team, would accept not being first choice in any position?
Exactly. Need their heads tested. There is no way Grealish agrees to be a sub unless guarantee that Pogba is leaving.

Slysi17

Exactly. Need their heads tested. There is no way Grealish agrees to be a sub unless guarantee that Pogba is leaving.
And Paul Pogba isn't leaving either. So he will be on the bench. Donny Van De Beek is maybe more willing to be a bench player at first.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Villa looking likely to stay up. I think people should be getting ready to muppet over VDB because we won't get Grealish if Villa stays

SecondFig

I'm convinced he'd be an instant success at Old Trafford, in a similar way to Bruno. He has the right mentality and arrogance to succeed here.
Agreed - he has that swagger that you want, and I don't mean off the pitch - it's his attitude on the pitch that I love. Every time I've seen him play for Villa (PL and Championship) he fronts up, he's trying to make things happen even when a game is gone, and he's always asking or showing for the ball. He's young, he's English, and he'd be a massive improvement on James, Lingard, Mata, Pereira.

As we've seen this week, we can't play the same 11 week in, week out - we need proper squad depth. If we can get Sancho and Grealish, we'd have a real front 6 (Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Bruno, & Grealish) who can be rotated without massive drops in quality.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As long as he is getting plenty of games and is given the fair treatment of being first choice if he's the one performing the best (which there would definitely be periods where he is outperforming the others) I don't see why not. If he wants to play in the CL he's not going to walk into the starting line-up of any of the four English teams which look likely to dominate those positions in the years to come (Liverpool, City, Chelsea and ourselves). So he could go to a Europa level team and be first choice or a CL level team and be in a similar position as someone like Mahrez or Bernardo Silva for City - sometimes a starter, sometimes on the bench. Some players would prefer the former, but I feel most players would prefer the latter (at least for a few years and if it doesn't work out then take a step back down). Of course he could also go overseas to a CL team and be a certain starter for some of them, but probably none that could expect to go deep into the finals.

How to you fit (or keep happy) Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Fernandes, Sancho, Grealish, Pogba? Surely it would be Grealish OR Sancho if one of them do come (especially for the prices quoted).
We'd basically have six players to rotate between four spots. Seven players for five spots if we count Pogba, but not sure if we'd be looking at Grealish to be anything more than emergency backup in that position.

That would basically be 45 starts a season for most of them, and the other two would still get 30 starts. Most likely those two would be Greenwood and Grealish to start off with, but they are both close enough to the other starters that they could ultimately overtake them.

But after saying that, with Villa now looking likely to stay up they will likely price him out of a move unless they've promised him they'll let him leave (or if he threatens to go on strike and really demands to move).

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Villa looking likely to stay up. I think people should be getting ready to muppet over VDB because we won't get Grealish if Villa stays
If Villa stay up the consensus is they would want £70m, so you could be right and VdB could be the likely target.

tjb

I don't see it like that. It's about competition and rotation. Grealish would need to win a spot in his preferred position to be part of our first xi, but that does not mean that he would not start regularly. We play 50 odd games a year and we've had lots of injuries and will have injuries or missed games. Furthermore, he is versatile and can play in any of the three attacking positions behind the striker. The notion that he is simply a LW/AM is false. Watch Villa and you will see how much he roams. In more recent games, he has spent a lot of time on the right. Finally, I believe Grealish would feel that he is better than Rashford or Greenwood. Competing with them is not a bad thing. To build ourselves, we need that competiton and quality in depth. Imagine having the option of a versatile player like Grealish keeping our quality high for all three positions behind the striker when rest is needed or injuries occur. It would mean that in attack, we would almost always have a strong xi. Further to that, Rashford does have stints of poor form as well. People are acting like he can't be displaced. Noone comes to a big team to sit on the bench, they come with the ambition of becoming a star for that team and can do that by winning their place in the first xi. I don't know why our fans are so scared of this.

SmallCaine

He is the captain and talisman for a team that's 17th on table on gd, no top 6 team will buy him as a starter, he is 24 and has yet to break into an english team where the best player is henderson in his position. No midtable team has the money to buy him and unless his career goal is to be the talisman for a relegation team, he will have to accept being signed as a squad player and then prove that he deserves to be a first choice player for a team competing for trophies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Been fantastic tonight. I hope we’re still going to get him along with Sancho. Anyone who thinks he is the Sancho alternative needs their head checked. Completely different players.
Nobody thinks that. Most just don't think we can afford both this summer given the hit we have had to take on from the pandemic.

If it's one or the other then it's Sancho everytime.

SmallCaine

Funny how fans wanted Grealish to be our main AM pre Bruno. Now he's only a rotational player
why is it funny? Grealish even at his best is not better or even equal to bruno or pogba, who will be the first choice when fit, which makes him a rotation player.

jamesjimmybyrondean

why is it funny? Grealish even at his best is not better or even equal to bruno or pogba, who will be the first choice when fit, which makes him a rotation player.
You could say Grealish was more of a sure bet than Bruno when he was at sporting though so Grealish becoming rotation to him is a nice turn around. Why are people getting triggered?? :lol: .

Status
Not open for further replies.