Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliche Guevara

I have a strong suspicion that we will offer a couple of academy players on loan to help out Villa as a part of Grealish deal if this were to go through. I can see the likes of Chong, Garner, TFM etc. rocking up there.
Can’t see Chong or TFM being United players next season.

I wouldn’t class them as Academy players now anyway.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Luckhurst saying United are trying to get this deal done early.

Any announcement could really derail Villa's survival bid so I doubt anything will be announced before the end of the season, I'm pretty convinced he'll be a United player next season though

tjb

Watching the current game, having that extra creativity from him will be vital for us

GMoore23

Grealish no doubt is talented, I just dont see where he fits into our starting 11 without unbalancing the team. He's a 10 who can also play on the left. Our 2 current best players play in those positions in Rashford and Fernandes. If we signed him it would probably mean Rashford gets moved back to striker and I dont want to see that.
We need top class signings at St, Rw and Cdm before anything else. Grealish is none of those.

BlahRules

Grealish no doubt is talented, I just dont see where he fits into our starting 11 without unbalancing the team. He's a 10 who can also play on the left. Our 2 current best players play in those positions in Rashford and Fernandes. If we signed him it would probably mean Rashford gets moved back to striker and I dont want to see that.
We need top class signings at St, Rw and Cdm before anything else. Grealish is none of those.
When we signed Hargreaves, Anderson and Nani but already had Giggs, ronaldo, Fletcher, scholes and Carrick. It's about having quality in depth and we dont.

Judas

Open to offers
When we signed Hargreaves, Anderson and Nani but already had Giggs, ronaldo, Fletcher, scholes and Carrick. It's about having quality in depth and we dont.
Exactly. Creating depth, an increase of quality after years of guff everywhere isn't a negative. This weird obsession some have on here about all the good players having to be squeezed into the starting eleven is baffling.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
That's fine but we don't have the Giggs, Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick yet. We haven't signed a RW in a decade, if Grealish is addressed before we spend the budget on the priority positions like a RW which we haven't signed in so many years then it doesn't make sense.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Does he lose the ball a lot? He can be backup to both Bruno and Rashford which will see him get a lot of games, but it might be hard to get him, Bruno and Rashford in the same lineup, right?

GMoore23

When we signed those players for depth we already had a world class starting 11. We need our first 11 completed before we work on depth. We haven't had a proper Rw in about 6 years which is actually embarrassing for a club of this stature.

Judas

Open to offers
Why are people acting like going after Grealish is instead of a RW? You'd have to have your head in the sand to not be noticing we're clearly in for Sancho, if not him I'm sure RW is one of the highest priorities in the summer.

croadyman

Grealish has impressed me a lot whenever I’ve seen him. I think he has a bit of that fire and personality that Solskjaer is looking for too
Yeah he definitely seems to have that real bit of edge about him that I really like, personally I am still wondering who is actually going to buy Pogba in the summer because cannot see any way that we go for Grealish if he stays but happy to be proved wrong on that

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
When we signed those players for depth we already had a world class starting 11. We need our first 11 completed before we work on depth. We haven't had a proper Rw in about 6 years which is actually embarrassing for a club of this stature.
And that's why the RW is our priority. Doesn't mean you ignore other deals that suit the club very well. We're after both and could easily get both. It's not Grealish at the expense of a RW. And we have a set team basically once we sign a RW. Next its gradual squad improvement through moves like this.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Does he lose the ball a lot? He can be backup to both Bruno and Rashford which will see him get a lot of games, but it might be hard to get him, Bruno and Rashford in the same lineup, right?
Don't think he's going to be backup to anybody at United. Can see us trying to fit Fernandes and him both into the same midfield or rotating between 4-5 CMs. But he's hardly going to move here to be second fiddle. He's also talented enough not to be.

zenith

This is such a circular argument that it is tiresome. I swear one could go back 5 pages and find all the same replies. It goes like

- He does not fit into the starting 11
- but we need quality apart from bruno, what if bruno gets injured
- can he play a no. 8, won't it be unbalanced
- sure he can, look at city
- but ole is no pep
- but good players can adapt
- then what about Fred
-but we need competition

This is followed by a whole bunch of possible formations, until someone asks the same question again.

Seriously guys, you don't get tired

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Don't think he's going to be backup to anybody at United. Can see us trying to fit Fernandes and him both into the same midfield or rotating between 4-5 CMs. But he's hardly going to move here to be second fiddle. He's also talented enough not to be.
Well if he moves here he is going to compete against Rashford or Bruno, in which case he'll have to play second fiddle because he'll most likely be inferior to them. If he is supposed to play in another role he isn't currently doing great in, it doesn't matter how talented he is in another position, if he isn't better than our other players he'll have to play second fiddle until he improves.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well if he moves here he is going to compete against Rashford or Bruno, in which case he'll have to play second fiddle because he'll most likely be inferior to them. If he is supposed to play in another role he isn't currently doing great in, it doesn't matter how talented he is in another position, if he isn't better than our other players he'll have to play second fiddle until he improves.
Let's see. I'm not as convinced that he's inferior as you seem to be.

Beaucoup

Grealish will have no problem slotting into our team, Bruno plays with various combinations of Ronaldo, Felix, Silva & Moutinho for the national team.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Let's see. I'm not as convinced that he's inferior as you seem to be.
If he isn't then that is great for the competition, but he has to work his way into the team for sure.
Grealish will have no problem slotting into our team, Bruno plays with various combinations of Ronaldo, Felix, Silva & Moutinho for the national team.
There wouldn't be a potential problem if either Grealish, Rashford or Bruno was left footed. They can all adapt but they all play towards the left of the pitch, and out of position drifts into the same areas. Not a huge problem, but we should look at someone who can both play centrally and on the right based on balance. Someone like Odegaard. I say that because even if we sign Sancho to play on the right, he might prove to be more useful on the left or centrally in which case at that point we're back to having few options on the right and are overloaded with quality central, central-left attacking players. It would be silly to have a quality player on the bench, while an inferior player have no competition for his place and plays every game.

I'm not against this player at all, it's just a good thing if the club thinks these things through. So that we maintain balance and high performing players in their position, instead of having an unbalanced team 'filled with quality' but also a team underperforming due to these issues.

Denis' cuff

Sounds like a top player but must admit, I have seen very little of him, nor read every page of this thread. But isn’t he another left sided attacker? What is his natural position?

romufc

Sounds like a top player but must admit, I have seen very little of him, nor read every page of this thread. But isn’t he another left sided attacker? What is his natural position?
We only have 1 left sided player in Rashford.

Grealish can play LCM, CAM, LW, CM

GMoore23

Why are people acting like going after Grealish is instead of a RW? You'd have to have your head in the sand to not be noticing we're clearly in for Sancho, if not him I'm sure RW is one of the highest priorities in the summer.
Have you seen our net spend the last 2 summers. We aren't PSG or City, also, Fernandes was only signed in January due to our injury crisis so his fee will be subtracted from the summer budget.
We have to sell before we buy this summer and by the time we sort out our problematic positions there'll be no funds left for Grealish

edcunited1878

Ole mentioned the flexibility of Bruno who can operate as a 10, 8, or deeper. Bruno has enough bite and passing and intelligence to play alongside Fred, displacing McTominay. Ahead you can have Grealish or a Pogba.

Look, would you rather have quality options or just options. Quality options breed healthy competition and you've seen that with Shaw/Williams, Bruno essentially pushing out Lingard/Pereria/Mata, Matic/Fred/McTomiany.

If you want to win trophies, you're gonna have to fight for playing time and gonna have to perform. It's the proper attitude and mindset.

romufc

Apart from Martial, Pogba, James and Sanchez
Yes ofcourse, I would also recommend you watch Manutd games this season.

How many games has Martial played LW?
How many times has Pogba played LW
How many times has Aleix played for us?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Yes ofcourse, I would also recommend you watch Manutd games this season.

How many games has Martial played LW?
How many times has Pogba played LW
How many times has Aleix played for us?
That's because Rashford has been preferred there. Doesn't mean that he's our only option

Dante

Average bang
Not especially.

I think that he gets underrated a lot because he's English. But if you look at the whole of Europe, he's one of the best key passers across the continent. All while maintaining a passing accuracy of 84%.

And unlike the other top key passers in Europe, he doesn't put in a lot of crosses for his high numbers. If you subtract crosses from his total key passes, he's on 2.1 key passes per game, which actually makes him the most creative player in all of Europe from central positions.

He's also extremely difficult to get off the ball fairly without fouling. He's currently by far the most fouled player in Europe, so you know he's good at shielding and dribbling the ball.

And don't forget that all of this is while playing in the strongest league in Europe. For the second worst team in the league. Where he's by far the best player for his side and gets double or triple marked every game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Have you seen our net spend the last 2 summers. We aren't PSG or City, also, Fernandes was only signed in January due to our injury crisis so his fee will be subtracted from the summer budget.
We have to sell before we buy this summer and by the time we sort out our problematic positions there'll be no funds left for Grealish
Or we wanted Bruno in the summer but didnt commit as we had Pogba still and prioritized other positions (also with Maguire and Lukaku going so late, left little time sort out earlier). If we had all summer, I'd guess we would've had a push to add Bruno in the last month. Now we have 2 main targets: Sancho and Grealish. Also Grealish is logically just the guy we get to replace Pogba (though different players). We don't have any other problematic positions really.

tjb

Not especially.

I think that he gets underrated a lot because he's English. But if you look at the whole of Europe, he's one of the best key passers across the continent. All while maintaining a passing accuracy of 84%.

And unlike the other top key passers in Europe, he doesn't put in a lot of crosses for his high numbers. If you subtract crosses from his total key passes, he's on 2.1 key passes per game, which actually makes him the most creative player in all of Europe from central positions.

He's also extremely difficult to get off the ball fairly without fouling. He's currently by far the most fouled player in Europe, so you know he's good at shielding and dribbling the ball.

And don't forget that all of this is while playing in the strongest league in Europe. For the second worst team in the league. Where he's by far the best player for his side and gets double or triple marked every game.
I really find it difficult to believe that he can't come off the right, even if it's as an auxillary winger. He has the dribbling ability, the agility and key passes to make that work. Robben operated on the left for years until he was shifted to the right at Real. He can make use of both feet. I don't see why it's not a possibility.

There is also the possibility of dropping Martial to the bench, pushing rashford up, signing Grealish and a person who already has the role of a right winger like Sancho and calling it a day. We would definately have enough quality to feed Rashford.

Part of the reason we use Rashford on the left is due to how active he is as a player in comparison to Martial. If we can bring in Grealish, and with the signing of Bruno, we may have enough ingredients to connect rashford to to the ball frequently

Okey

Yeah he definitely seems to have that real bit of edge about him that I really like, personally I am still wondering who is actually going to buy Pogba in the summer because cannot see any way that we go for Grealish if he stays but happy to be proved wrong on that
Yeah Pogba will probably need to move for us to buy Grealish (better long term scenario in my opinion). Madrid can and will probably try to buy Pogba. Kroos is starting to decline and will need phasing out. The only question will be the price. I hope we come to an agreement if Pogba wants out, cos I think Grealish will be another fantastic but after Bruno.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not especially.

Thanks mate. I think this is promising, if there is any truth to the rumours. He can't be our only attacking signing, he has to be replacing say Lingard, while another player comes in to replace Mata as our latest right winger. He has just been doing great for like a year in the PL right? I thought he faded away for a few years after his breakthrough along with Januzaj? Seems like he has reached a certain level now, but what is his weaknesses as a player? Should he struggle.

Valuedrug

Think he’d be a stellar signing. Villas captain on top of his technical/statistical merits, and apparently he is a bit of student of the game too. Culturally you would think he’d fit in perfectly as well.

I could see us putting in silly bids for an unrealistic Sancho deal instead though, while Liverpool take him off a relegated Villa. Hopefully Klopp is so stoked on Havertz that he leaves Grealish alone, but time will tell.

davidmichael

It's grealish or Sancho. These FIFA formations with 7 attacking mids are embarrassing
Fernandes and Grealish with a pure defensive midfielder isn’t a FIFA formation at all, it’s basically what City do when they have De Bruyne and Silva with Fernandinho.

If Villa go down then Grealish for £45 million and Sancho for £120 million isn’t unrealistic at all seeing as we’re likely to see Pogba go as well as Sanchez if we can, Pereira, Rojo and a few fringe players in the reserves.

Crashoutcassius

Fernandes and Grealish with a pure defensive midfielder isn’t a FIFA formation at all, it’s basically what City do when they have De Bruyne and Silva with Fernandinho.

If Villa go down then Grealish for £45 million and Sancho for £120 million isn’t unrealistic at all seeing as we’re likely to see Pogba go as well as Sanchez if we can, Pereira, Rojo and a few fringe players in the reserves.
We have just built a good team based on a double pivot and we want to play 2 10s (one of whom is a left winger ) because one manager in the history of the sport has had success doing that. Not realistic for me

cyberman

We arent dropping Fred and we need a DM alongside him.
Buying Grealish is the bad old days of buy now and fit in later

Status
Not open for further replies.