Jack Grealish

E-mal

Grealish, Sancho and Ndidi and we'd have one of the best teams in Europe.

Walters_19_MuFc

I've said this numerous times. I absolutely love Grealish. My favourite non-United player but has to be a no for me.

We saw how good Rashford was today on his favoured left side. Getting Grealish would mean moving one of them to the right where they're clearly not as good.

We just need to invest in a top-class right-winger.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Just total class. I had doubt if it was just a flash in pan last season, but he's just getting better and better. I'd be totally disappointed if he ends up with our rivals. He's 100% a Fergie type of signing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just total class. I had doubt if it was just a flash in pan last season, but he's just getting better and better. I'd be totally disappointed if he ends up with our rivals. He's 100% a Fergie type of signing.
I dunno, Fergie never went for Grealish type players. Sancho is far more of a Fergie type signing, and incidentally far more in line with what our team is crying out for.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I dunno, Fergie never went for Grealish type players. Sancho is far more of a Fergie type signing, and incidentally far more in line with what our team is crying out for.
Sorry. Fergie never went for technically gifted British player that has proven himself in the League? One of United coach is a prove.

dal

Gascoigne, this is one I can think of, I’m sure there were others.

Fergie would have brought him at 22.

Kostov

He belongs in a Manchester United shirt, end off. He has the quality and arrogance to play for the club, we should try our best to bring him in.

GMoore23

I can't see us going for Grealish. Where is everyone expecting him to play.
We have Rashford on the left and Bruno at 10.
We need a long term CF replacement for Cavani and a top class RW unless Greenwood steps up.

gajender

We need a long term CF replacement for Cavani and a top class RW unless Greenwood steps up.
He is fully capable of benching both of them in long run to be honest he is that good.
But you are right we desperately need in new CF , for RW I hope Diallo or Greenwood steps up in second half of the season .
I know it would be overkill to have Grealish and Rashford competing but I hope it happens Grealish is made for theatre of Dreams.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do people think we can keep both VDB and Grealish in the squad?

I have been interested in both the players since they were young (Grealish) and breaking through (VDB) - but I doubt we can keep both of them satisfied.

Maybe if we were Man City we might but arguably need a CDM and a RW aswell which takes more of our squad space.

I know who most of the United fans may prefer if they were made to choose - yet can we keep all these players happy?

gica_7

Do people think we can keep both VDB and Grealish in the squad?

I have been interested in both the players since they were young (Grealish) and breaking through (VDB) - but I doubt we can keep both of them satisfied.

Maybe if we were Man City we might but arguably need a CDM and a RW aswell which takes more of our squad space.

I know who most of the United fans may prefer if they were made to choose - yet can we keep all these players happy?
Depending on ins and outs, yes we can keep both of them in squad. I highly doubt but if Pogba goes, VdB can take his place and Grealish can easily move to the left. I doubt this is the scenario that will happen though as I believe Ole really wants Sancho.

bosnian_red

Sorry. Fergie never went for technically gifted British player that has proven himself in the League? One of United coach is a prove.
Gascoigne, this is one I can think of, I’m sure there were others.

Fergie would have brought him at 22.
Cantona and Rooney were Grealish type signings, zemo. :D
Stylistically. Fergie never went for a David Silva type. He didn't use those players, even though they were excellent. The closest he tried was with Kagawa at the end and then didn't use him much. Give Sir Alex a choice and he picks Sancho IMO, every time. He loved his wingers. True wingers.

NinjaFletch

gajender

Stylistically. Fergie never went for a David Silva type. He didn't use those players, even though they were excellent. The closest he tried was with Kagawa at the end and then didn't use him much. Give Sir Alex a choice and he picks Sancho IMO, every time. He loved his wingers. True wingers.
In what way Kagawa was similar to Silva or Grealish ? And Sancho is nowhere true winger or old fashioned touch line hugging one atleast you are all over the place with your observations pal.

bosnian_red

Showing interest is different from actually signing that player. Its a player Fergie literally never signed! How can this even be argued? Sir Alex used a 442 or a 4411 or a 4231 at a push, but with actual wingers or inside forwards, generally more direct players with pace on the wings (or wingers that held width). His #10s were second strikers. He never went for a playmaker that wasn't an actual center mid.

In what way Kagawa was similar to Silva or Grealish ? And Sancho is nowhere true winger or old fashioned touch line hugging one atleast you are all over the place with your observations pal.
Kagawa is a different player but he was a playmaker that wasn't a center mid. Thats the only time he bought a playmaker that wasn't a center mid, which is my point (or that and Veron, ironically another flop). He never went for the wide playmaker types. He never went for (or used) a player to be in the hole who couldn't be a second striker type.
And no, Sancho isn't a classic hug touchline winger. Hes still far more of a Sir Alex signing, as he is direct and a winger/inverted winger who will drive towards the opposition and play those killer balls and score goals. Grealish is a completely different player and FAR closer to David Silva.

What on earth is this revisionism? List all the #10's and wingers Sir Alex bought/used. Maybe he tried them out sometimes, but it was in no way a Sir Alex type of player, because Sir Alex never got those players to work and so rarely tried it.

NinjaFletch

Showing interest is different from actually signing that player. Its a player Fergie literally never signed! How can this even be argued? Sir Alex used a 442 or a 4411 or a 4231 at a push, but with actual wingers or inside forwards, generally more direct players with pace on the wings (or wingers that held width). His #10s were second strikers. He never went for a playmaker that wasn't an actual center mid.
You didn't say we never signed that sort of player you said we never went for that type of player.

Not only was your claim wrong, but it's your unfortunate luck that we demonstrably went for the exact player you used as an example.

We're all wrong from time to time. No point arguing yourself into a knot about it.

I don't even necessarily disagree with your general point, Silva would have been a bit of an exception, but our interest in him that sure was pretty well known.

bosnian_red

You didn't say we never signed that sort of player you said we never went for that type of player.

Not only was your claim wrong, but it's your unfortunate luck that we demonstrably went for the exact player you used as an example.

We're all wrong from time to time. No point arguing yourself into a knot about it.

I don't even necessarily disagree with your general point, Silva would have been a bit of an exception, but our interest in him that sure was pretty well known.
Alright well now you're just arguing over a pointless specific point when you know what exactly I meant. He's not a typical Sir Alex signing, which is my point.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think Grealish would have been 100% a Sir Alex signing. Mainly based on because he's one of the best players in the league, and where Sir Alex could, he'd always sign a top player in the league. That was a big part of his transfer policy.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
I've said this numerous times. I absolutely love Grealish. My favourite non-United player but has to be a no for me.

We saw how good Rashford was today on his favoured left side. Getting Grealish would mean moving one of them to the right where they're clearly not as good.

We just need to invest in a top-class right-winger.
We had this problem in the summer. So instead of buying an inferior player on the left (Milot Rashica) we ended up upgrading our right wing (Traore) and getting Barkley to play in the middle instead. I agree, I don't see the need to replace Rashford who is superb, when your right wing is comparatively weaker. If you had a Rashford-caliber player on the right you would be frightening in attack. Still don't know if Sancho is the answer though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Ermm.. Fergie tried to sign Hazard, which stylistically is similar to Grealish. Also the older Giggs was similar to Grealish, when he was paired with Carrick. He also tried to sign Sneijder, a bit different but more similarity.

Last edited:

Trequarista10

I think we would either play him LW with Rashford upfront, or play Grealish RW. Either way it would cause problems/criticisms.

Trequarista10

This is true for the most part but he did go through a phase of talking about "the Zidane role", where he'd play Kagawa wide left cutting in. I suppose older Giggs fits that description as well as he wasn't as much of a winger in his last few seasons. Park is another one, albeit different, who preferred coming inside.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Strange diversion on the thread. Would Fergie have tried to sign Grealish! How is it relevant?

bosnian_red

Strange diversion on the thread. Would Fergie have tried to sign Grealish! How is it relevant?
Think it started with someone saying Grealish is exactly the player Fergie would sign and a classic Fergie signing, then me disagreeing and saying he never went for those types (maybe should've said never successfully used those types).

Matthew84!

I think he'll cost too much, as he signed a new contract unless its got a buy out clause it'll be 100 million, saying that I'd have him in the team if he was available at a reasonable price

Rake

SAF signing or not, he will be a luxury player. Considering the price quoted in the summer and Villa's good table standing, there are other areas we should be splashing 80 million on. The right side of our attack is virtually non-existent.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He is a sure fire signing like RVP was.

He assists amd creates like crazy even in a team with no striker.

Most important, he can actually hold the ball and not lose it. We can't even keep possession again bottom half teams. We won't win anything continuing like that.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm far from convinced that Grealish has any interest in leaving Villa anyway. He could have been coming up to 'sell me or lose me for free' territory now, and would have his pick of clubs.

Instead he chose to sign a long term contract and put a value on himself that few clubs are likely to be able to match for a while.

Besides, there is no place for him in this United team right now. Its classic square peg round hole. Both Sancho and Haaland (those positions) have to be higher priorities for us

FatherWolff

I'm far from convinced that Grealish has any interest in leaving Villa anyway. He could have been coming up to 'sell me or lose me for free' territory now, and would have his pick of clubs.

Instead he chose to sign a long term contract and put a value on himself that few clubs are likely to be able to match for a while.

Besides, there is no place for him in this United team right now. Its classic square peg round hole. Both Sancho and Haaland (those positions) have to be higher priorities for us
I’m afraid you raise a good point. That contract puts him on silly money if someone wants to make a bid. And you are right we need to spend elsewhere. To bad really, because he is a player I really wanted to see here.

Traub

This is true, I mean we didn’t sign a midfielder for about 15 years.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't know if Fergie would've signed Grealish. But imo Fergie would've used Grealish as a left sided midfielder like he used Beckham as a right sided midfielder who wasn't a winger in the traditional sense.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If people think Grealish isn't a fit due to being best deployed on the left then neither is Sancho who is naturally best suited to playing on the left IMO.

saivet

If people think Grealish isn't a fit due to being best deployed on the left then neither is Sancho who is naturally best suited to playing on the left IMO.
It's not just that, it's the fact we've never even seen Grealish play on the right. Even if you think Sancho is better on the left he has performed very well on numerous occasions playing from the right at Dortmund.

Walters_19_MuFc

The difference is, Sancho plays on the right and has a lot of experience doing so. Grealish, whilst he could be good on the right, apart from occasionally drifting to the right at times during games, he always starts on the left or as a 10.

Grealish's playing positions

Sancho's playing positions (guess they can be slightly misleading as he does often swap during games)