Jack Grealish

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Agreed 100%

https://www.sofascore.com/player/jack-grealish/189061

Check his heat map. It affects passing angles, cut backs and shooting positions/techniques if you play on the right.

Grealish is great on the left as he has all the dangerous angles open to him as he’s right footed. If you’re not used to playing on the right it’s not just a case of oh he’ll be fine.
Exactly — it’s a thing we fans seem to think. “Oh, he’ll be alright there, he played there one time in game X, it’s fine”.

We saw it with Sanchez, when we signed him despite Martial being in the best form and our best left winger, thinking it would be alright because we could play him on the right. We see it right now with Rashford, who looks a shadow of himself out on the right.

Also, I disagree with any idea that Grealish is a no.10, or better through the middle and just plays out wide due to tactics. He is very much a wide (left) midfield playmaker.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Anyone who thinks Grealish would stretch a team more than Rashford is in dream land.

Grealish is on the cusp of being a world class player but that doesn’t mean he’s suddenly able to do things he’s never done. He’s not a runner in behind he’s a ball carrier/playmaker from half spaces on the left predominantly.

He would be an amazing addition from a talent perspective but does not offer the goal threat of Rashford and we should stop again trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

We needed a world class No10 we got one and he’s been brilliant. Do we need another potential WC LW given Rashford has scored and assisted at a really good rate, is home grown and won’t want to be shunted out to RW?

Would Grealish be happy rotating?

I don’t see it working with our squad and I think the personality Grealish has off the pitch would absolutely not work if he’s second fiddle.

Mcking

Anyone who thinks Grealish would stretch a team more than Rashford is in dream land.

Grealish is on the cusp of being a world class player but that doesn’t mean he’s suddenly able to do things he’s never done. He’s not a runner in behind he’s a ball carrier/playmaker from half spaces on the left predominantly.

He would be an amazing addition from a talent perspective but does not offer the goal threat of Rashford and we should stop again trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

We needed a world class No10 we got one and he’s been brilliant. Do we need another potential WC LW given Rashford has scored and assisted at a really good rate, is home grown and won’t want to be shunted out to RW?

I don’t see it working with our squad and I think the personality Grealish has off the pitch would absolutely not work if he’s second fiddle.
He can score and assist from anywhere. Doesn't have to be on the left.

The Irish Connection

I agree. I think the priority is Haaland and a defensive midfielder.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Grealish is a nice pipe dream but whats the point of stock piling players when we have other much more urgent priorities?

Get Sancho, Haaland, a DM and a RB. Go all out for the next big CB prospect and we have a great squad.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
So what he adds to the team is more creativity, more control which benefits the collective rather than the individual as far as goals/assists are concerned
This. And if he could do for us what he has done for Villa he would improve us significantly. I also think he is a player with potential to improve and be even better if he played in a better team.

If a player improved us significantly at this stage we would be aiming for 90 points. Maybe there is more urgent needs, but Grealish is probably one of the three best players in the league this year. I’m not sure bringing in a RW or RB would improve us more, even if the need for one looks more urgent.

At the point in time when we got RvP, a central midfielder was probably more urgent, but no central midfielder available would have improved us more than RvP. The value of a world class-player is so big that the marginal utility of such a player is greater than most other available players in positions where the need might appear to be greater or more urgent.

He would also make us less dependent on two players who we rely two heavily on, Bruno and Rashford.

All that being said, I expect that Man Utd sign Jadon Sancho. But I would not be surprised if he turned out to be quite inconsistent for a few years.

Last edited:

cyberman

You can only stretch sides if they leave space and Rashford imo isn't a winger but rather a wide forward who should be judged on goals because he has a big goal threat. Our issue has been our inability to build attacks and then sustain those attacks hence we've been ceding possession and playing on the counter attack against big teams which suits Rashford due to him attacking the space. Below i'll give you reasons why I think Grealish would improve us further.

Most big teams have their fullbacks providing the width and having someone like Grealish ahead of Shaw would likely improve Shaw's output imo. Grealish is a player who is demonstrating fantastic ball retention skills, dribbling skills, movement and passing ability whilst under pressure and his decision making is also top notch. So what he adds to the team is more creativity, more control which benefits the collective rather than the individual as far as goals/assists are concerned. Now this doesn't mean we should banish Rashford to the bench because the season is long and there's games aplenty and having a big squad is important if we're to challenge for the big trophies domestically and in Europe.
Modern football is wide forwards making runs inside.
Having Pogba, Bruno and Jack leaves us with 3 cooks and not enough finishers.
Its blunting our attack for no reason. We dont use our wide forwards for ball retention and we saw how handcuffed we looked with Pogba from the right or when used from the left in a diamond.
We have seen what works and having slower playmakers from wide is not what the top sides do and theres a reason for that.
Jack is a great player but he isnt what this side needs. I mean Rashford already routinely plays Shaw into the byline every game.
Np offence but this post really is a stretch and its just searching for reasons to sign him We are already great at sustaining sttacks going forward and its mostly down to Rashfors and that left side. Replacing Rashford isnt the answer for more output, a striker who can score and an actual RW would boost that up considerably more.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He can score and assist from anywhere. Doesn't have to be on the left.
Not with the consistency he’s shown from the left. It’s a completely different style of pass and shot needed from the right.

https://understat.com/player/675

All his best actions are inside on the left of the box

He isn’t a left footer and he clearly has done really well with the whole goal in his view on a foot that causes inward curve towards goal. He’s not got the same passing ability as De Bruyne where both half space sides he’s equally effective he clearly favours the left and there is nothing wrong with that it just doesn’t suit what the team needs.

If he was left footer 100% sign him up for the RW slot but having not played there since Notts County it would be a pointless risk. Either play him LW or don’t.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Modern football is wide forwards making runs inside.
Having Pogba, Bruno and Jack leaves us with 3 cooks and not enough finishers.
Its blunting our attack for no reason. We dont use our wide forwards for ball retention and we saw how handcuffed we looked with Pogba from the right or when used from the left in a diamond.
We have seen what works and having slower playmakers from wide is not what the top sides do and theres a reason for that.
Jack is a great player but he isnt what this side needs. I mean Rashford already routinely plays Shaw into the byline every game.
Np offence but this post really is a stretch and its just searching for reasons to sign him We are already great at sustaining sttacks going forward and its mostly down to Rashfors and that left side. Replacing Rashford isnt the answer for more output, a striker who can score and an actual RW would boost that up considerably more.
Modern football is about fullbacks replacing wingers as players who provide width. Also you don't necessarily have to play with wide forwards in the modern game because you just have to look at RB Leipzig as one example and how their very modern approach to playing the game involves either Dani Olmo and Forsberg playing as the wide playmakers at times who are similar to Jack Grealish in profile and help Nagelsmann in both creativity and transitions. I'd say there's more than one way to play the game as far as the players deployed in a wide forward role are concerned. Nagelsmann's use of wide play makers who are adept at playing wide (drifting in) or playing centrally as the false #9 and even as the #10 provides him with the ability to change formation in-game which gives him tactical flexibility.

If Pogba stays then we likely won't sign Grealish imo. But maybe Pogba fancies playing in Spain for a few years and If that is the case then we need a player who can provide a similar level of creativity. Because for me Bruno and Pogba are our most important players and if one is missing then we need to replace the creativity/control IMO.

Don't we have a right sided forward in Diallo who the scouts have shown a lot of faith in? I'd honestly wait and see what he can provide on the right before saying we need another playing for the same role. And a new striker would IMO benefit more from having a creative force like Grealish in the team.

superdry

touched by a genius
Grealish is poetry in motion, watching him tonight is a pleasure, we must get this guy.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Throw the money at Villa already ffs
Where will he play? We have best #10 in the world in Bruno. Rashford produces his best form on LW. Do we want to spend £100m just to stick Grealish on RW or in CM?

He's a top player but doesn't fit here at all, we should focus on signing a new DM/CF/CB this summer. And perhaps a backup RB.

arnie_ni

Where will he play? We have best #10 in the world in Bruno. Rashford produces his best form on LW. Do we want to spend £100m just to stick Grealish on RW or in CM?

He's a top player but doesn't fit here at all, we should focus on signing a new DM/CF/CB this summer. And perhaps a backup RB.
Hes that good you shift the team around him and Bruno

El Jefe

You can only stretch sides if they leave space and Rashford imo isn't a winger but rather a wide forward who should be judged on goals because he has a big goal threat. Our issue has been our inability to build attacks and then sustain those attacks hence we've been ceding possession and playing on the counter attack against big teams which suits Rashford due to him attacking the space. Below i'll give you reasons why I think Grealish would improve us further.

Most big teams have their fullbacks providing the width and having someone like Grealish ahead of Shaw would likely improve Shaw's output imo. Grealish is a player who is demonstrating fantastic ball retention skills, dribbling skills, movement and passing ability whilst under pressure and his decision making is also top notch. So what he adds to the team is more creativity, more control which benefits the collective rather than the individual as far as goals/assists are concerned. Now this doesn't mean we should banish Rashford to the bench because the season is long and there's games aplenty and having a big squad is important if we're to challenge for the big trophies domestically and in Europe.
I just can't agree with this. Rashford is developing great on the left hand side and looks like he'll be the perfect blend of goals and creativity from the left hand side. Not only does he have a great understanding with Shaw, he also sets up many chances for our attackers as he did with the beautiful pass to Greenwood on Sunday. Out of the three roles in our attack, Rashford should be the very last player we look to shift around.
Yes the team needs to control the game better but we can do that without Grealish, we just need to pass the ball better as a team or get a CM/DM who is a controller. Creativity is not a problem at all for this side, finishing and balance is a bigger problem and signing Grealish doesn't really solve any of those problems.
A RW and a striker are greater needs in our team, and even if we signed Grealish, we'd still need to sign player(s) in those positions.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Didn't he had even one bad game this season ? Matić gave him hell, but still managed to to get an assist.

Aston Villa storming top 4 might be the example when higher price could be somehow justified.

Jack-C20

I’m convinced this is the guy we need. Not the only thing we need but definitely who I want most. Not sure he’ll sort our dodgy defending out but I think he’d give us so much going forwards.

Idxomer

I’m convinced this is the guy we need. Not the only thing we need but definitely who I want most. Not sure he’ll sort our dodgy defending out but I think he’d give us so much going forwards.
The fact is he's a better footballer than anyone in our team. If we've got a chance to sign him we should go all out for him.

It doesn't matter if he would take Rashford or Bruno's place in the team.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As I've been saying for ages, not only was it laughable that people thought Donny was better, Bruno isn't on his level either.

We sign him and he's immediately the best player in the team. There's no argument to be made to not sign him. He'd easily be worth whatever Villa want, and he could play wherever in the team and be better than whoever plays there now.

Shame Ole was given Donny instead. We might have had a chance this year had we got Jack.

Yagami

Good post resistant

He's better than both and having him in the squad, and starting 11, alongside them is a no brainer. He's that good.

Wayne's World

He's better than both and having him in the squad, and starting 11, alongside them is a no brainer. He's that good.
Not as good as Bruno but agree, he's a much better player then Rashford. Top 5 player in the league, I'd only go and say that only Bruno and KDB are better them then him in the league this season

Bojan11

Grealish and Haaland.

Movement and creativity that we are lacking. Just hope we can beat City to the punch.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not as good as Bruno but agree, he's a much better player then Rashford. Top 5 player in the league, I'd only go and say that only Bruno and KDB are better them then him in the league this season
I've said this for a long time but he's a lot better than Bruno. Only player in the league that comes close is, as you say, KDB. Bruno's a level below both.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
As I've been saying for ages, not only was it laughable that people thought Donny was better, Bruno isn't on his level either.

We sign him and he's immediately the best player in the team. There's no argument to be made to not sign him. He'd easily be worth whatever Villa want, and he could play wherever in the team and be better than whoever plays there now.

Shame Ole was given Donny instead. We might have had a chance this year had we got Jack.
I obviously don't want him to leave at any cost but I'm sure when we played you a few weeks Pogba was being played from the left in a rejigged diamond system so this idea Rashford must always play on the left at all costs is a bit misguided.

He's better on left than CF but it's not like Rashford is some disaster zone who can't hold it up or score any goals when he's central. As he's shown off the pitch he's a very intelligent lad so he'd learn and would score plenty with Jack playing off him and slipping through balls to him.

Or you stick to your front 3 and get Jack to do what Pogba does when he plays as an 8 for you. He could fit into that with some finetuning given how much he drops deep to pick up the ball in first place.

If Man. City could do it with De Bruyne all those years ago when he initally came in as a wide player it's possible although I hope we finish high enough in the league to keep him one more season. It will be near impossible to keep him when he hits 27 I suspect.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Just finished watching the re run of this game and he was immense. He's definitely among the very best players in the league and a huge threat to the opposition in multiple areas of the pitch. I would sacrifice the signing of a DM to sign him.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Too bad Southgate is an idiot because with Grealish, Rashford, Kane,Sterling, Rice and Foden England can actually finally win something.

Grealish being the best out of that talented bunch.

If he joined us he would be our best player.

Pablo76

I don’t think I’ve ever liked a non Utd player so much, he’s just quality to watch.

Bring him in at all costs, play him over anyone bar Bruno and Rashford. And that’s not to say that they’re better.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'd say he's been better than both so far this season. De Bruyne started the season relatively poorly and Bruno hasn't been as good as his stats would indicate. I actually haven't watched Grealish as much this season as I did last but he seems to have been in great form the entire time.

NK86

Yeah the guy who has practically carried this team to a top 4 last yesr after playing only half the season and has been producing incredible numbers so far is not as good as the Villa guy. Some of you lot need to give your head a wobble. Grealish is an excellent player but not at the same level as Bruno or KDB.

Theonas

Scout
He possesses that rarest of qualities in being able to unlock defenses with nimble movement and dribbling. It is probably the highest valued quality in football. The best at it is Messi and I think it is why he is viewed by many to be higher than Ronaldo because he sure doesn't beat Ronaldo in other departments. That's why I think he is the only type of player I'd take even if it means changing the setup to suit him. Only question mark for me is the mental side of his game. He had his issues up until last season basically which raises question marks over his discipline and focus to have a long career at the top.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah the guy who has practically carried this team to a top 4 last yesr after playing only half the season and has been producing incredible numbers so far is not as good as the Villa guy. Some of you lot need to give your head a wobble. Grealish is an excellent player but not at the same level as Bruno or KDB.
Bruno isn't as good as Grealish or De Bryune. Bruno's general play is shocking, but he's got a good eye for goals. Grealish and De Bryune are the full package.

NK86

Bruno isn't as good as Grealish or De Bryune. Bruno's general play is shocking, but he's got a good eye for goals. Grealish and De Bryune are the full package.
Right, that is why Bruno has such a massive number of assists. Grass greener and all. Grealish has just had 6 months of such performances at this level. Let's hold on to the hyperbole.

croadyman

Not signing him will be the Paul Gascoigne or Alan Shearer or Batistuta levels of missing out.
Forget this worrying about him playing in Tony's/Marcus best position just go out and get it done in the summer before one of our rivals does and makes us feel that agony of feeling what might have been