Jack Grealish

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Still think we decided against him because we are big on personality and character and he made a bit of a tit of himself off the field a number of times last year.
Makes deciding not to sign Henderson because he runs funny seem positively inspired by comparison.

I really hope there was no “deciding” involved. Would be heart-breaking if we actually had a chance and decided against it. Like that Lindelof over Van Dijk rumour.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What a player.

RUCK4444

Yep. It seems a criminal waste to put 40m into him, instead of saving it to go big on a Grealish.
Agree with this. I was never hugely behind the VDB signing but he’s a decent squad player.

Grealish would have been a much much better acquisition in hindsight.

Even just for the fact that we wouldn’t have had to sit through a season of Martial. I’d take one of Jack’s calf’s for Martial in a straight swap.

JustAGuest

If their demands were high last summer, what would they be now? He has taken another step this season. Villa are looking like they may be a top 7 side right now.

Bojan11

If their demands were high last summer, what would they be now? He has taken another step this season. Villa are looking like they may be a top 7 side right now.
He needs to force it if he has any ambition. That’s the only way they will let him go.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Best player in the league by miles at the moment.

Can carry the ball 60 yards, take it in tight spaces with loads around him, plays with his head up throughout. Don’t see a weakness in his attacking game. Maybe just needs more scruffy goals.

keithsingleton

Grealish is easily worth an extra 10 points a season for us if we get him in the summer. This year he's gone to a different level. Sell Martial to help fund him, he's overrated for me.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's also criminal to then have him and not use him regularly. Think his confidence has gone completely.

People think he was bought as squad strength, but it seems more likely he was bought as some kind of Pogba insurance.

However, he doesn't look like he can play deeper, and will always be struggling to play when Bruno does. Which is most weeks.

Mainoldo

We’d sign him and play him right wing so we don’t upset Rashford and Bruno.

Pointless signing unless we are willing to push Bruno into the midfield.

AKDevil

We’d sign him and play him right wing so we don’t upset Rashford and Bruno.

Pointless signing unless we are willing to push Bruno into the midfield.
why, he can play from left and will be significantly better than all our other options. Him cutting in and an overlapping full back to keep the width.

Mainoldo

why, he can play from left and will be significantly better than all our other options. Him cutting in and an overlapping full back to keep the width.
He can play from the left in a Villa formation. I wish we would stop our pipe dreams. We currently play through Bruno Fernandez only. Unless we are willing to accept that Jack Grealish will be the most important player in our club like Villa do it’s not going to work and never will.

What would be the plan when he signs put him on the left and just hope he does what he does at Villa?

Pogba plays from the left from time to time and the games doesn’t go through him.

RooneyLegend

He's the sort of signing the old Liverpool dynasty was built on, worldies in their prime of their careers playing at smaller clubs. He's an absolute must buy, we'll figure the rest out later. He's the best player in the division ffs.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
A year ago people didn't want Haaland for peanuts because we had Martial. Now people don't want Grealish because we have Rashford. You'd think Martial and Rashford both were 3x POTYs the way people hype them up as some sort of undroppable mythical figures.

Have United fans always been like this? Was there a lot of "nope don't want RVP, we've got Welbeck/Chicha" noise in 2012? "Why are we getting Berbatov?! We've got Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani, Tevez, Giggs!" in 2008? Or "why on earth do we want Yorke, we've got 3 strikers already" in 1998?

City have been sweeping up all sorts of attacking talent in the past decade. Those that don't succeed are phased out and replaced by better players. That's how you win stuff. Yet here we have United fans content with giving two hot and cold players (with 11 years of experience between them) one chance after another season after season.

If we don't pay up, City or Chelsea certainly will. They'll have a player capable of elevating them to trophies for most of this decade. And we'll be scratching our heads asking ourselves how we let yet another obvious signing go unchallenged to a rival.

RooneyLegend

He can play from the left in a Villa formation. I wish we would stop our pipe dreams. We currently play through Bruno Fernandez only. Unless we are willing to accept that Jack Grealish will be the most important player in our club like Villa do it’s not going to work and never will.

What would be the plan when he signs put him on the left and just hope he does what he does at Villa?

Pogba plays from the left from time to time and the games doesn’t go through him.
It's as simple as telling Bruno to play 10 yards deeper, nearer to Pogba than the second striker role he has now and giving Grealish the freedom of the attacking area.

----Rashford-Martial-Grealish-----
--------------Bruno----Pogba------------
-------------------new DM------------------

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
A year ago people didn't want Haaland for peanuts because we had Martial. Now people don't want Grealish because we have Rashford. You'd think Martial and Rashford both were 3x POTYs the way people hype them up as some sort of undroppable mythical figures.

Have United fans always been like this? Was there a lot of "nope don't want RVP, we've got Welbeck/Chicha" noise in 2012? "Why are we getting Berbatov?! We've got Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani, Tevez, Giggs!" in 2008? Or "why on earth do we want Yorke, we've got 3 strikers already" in 1998?

City have been sweeping up all sorts of attacking talent in the past decade. Those that don't succeed are phased out and replaced by better players. That's how you win stuff. Yet here we have United fans content with giving two hot and cold players (with 11 years of experience between them) one chance after another season after season.

If we don't pay up, City or Chelsea certainly will. They'll have a player capable of elevating them to trophies for most of this decade. And we'll be scratching our heads asking ourselves how we let yet another obvious signing go unchallenged to a rival.
When the RVP rumours first started up a lot of posters on here said they didn't want him because we already have Welbeck, will never forget reading that. Literally the whole first page of the RVP thread was people saying "but what about Welbeck's development"

James Peril

Grealish is obviously overdue some rest and some rotation, he looks knackered, but still he is the best on the pitch and delivers when it matters with a great assist. His touch and control is divine, everything he tries come together... he made a slightly difficult and uncompleted pass at the end and I thought to myself, wow, he failed to make a pass. For the first time in forever... that’s something I usually keep in stock for de Bruyne when he’s jaded after 75 minutes. Hell of a player, just very, very anti-English in his handling of the ball. Something Spanish going on.... a mix between prime Hazard and Cazorla, some Pogba body control when shielding the ball, but the bloke’s from Birmingham.

Tarrou

Do you ever read your posts back and think “ah I’m talking bollocks”..?

The Irish Connection

He doesn’t strike me as a Pep kind of player. His a Fergie signing all over we need him!
Ah, he’s definitely a Pep player. He’s excellent at retaining possession and passing and moving, with low center of gravity.
But, I agree he has a United quality to him, a bit like Beckham. I think we’d regret not getting him alright.
If we could somehow get him, Haaland and Rice, I think we could really challenge the oil cheats.

Tapori

Ah, he’s definitely a Pep player. He’s excellent at retaining possession and passing and moving, with low center of gravity.
But, I agree he has a United quality to him, a bit like Beckham. I think we’d regret not getting him alright.
If we could somehow get him, Haaland and Rice, I think we could really challenge the oil cheats.
He's a classic united signing
English, generational, top performances, unpredictability, questionable temperament and very good to watch

AKDevil

Yep, that’s exactly what you do. Alternatively, watch him go to City and shine for them. He’d potentially benefit from not being as much of a marked man by opposing teams.

Mainoldo

Yep, that’s exactly what you do. Alternatively, watch him go to City and shine for them. He’d potentially benefit from not being as much of a marked man by opposing teams.
Yeah I couldn’t see him being a menace for City. Unfortunately they actually do fit.

AKDevil

Yeah I couldn’t see him being a menace for City. Unfortunately they actually do fit.
yep, holding midfielder, two wingers and de Bruyne and Grealish as central midfielders getting into little pockets of space ... congratulations on the 2022 title.

passing-wind

Do you ever read your posts back and think “ah I’m talking bollocks”..?
He has a valid point I'm astounded to see how short minded fans are urging the club in a time of financial difficulty to buy (what would be most of our budget) on a single player who barely contributes to the areas where the squad is proficiently weak. Unless Grealish is a right sided player the club should not be going for him. All Grealish does is further unbalance the attack, he's not a step in the right direction.

Replacing Pogba is a good shout but we don't have one defensive midfielder at the club capable of playing a 4-3-3 with comfort defensively. So tactically and not based on a FIFA ideology Grealish should only be remotely entertained with the idea of a sole defensive midfielder to rotate the team shape. Jack has absolutely no place with Solskjaer's preferred 4-2-3-1. Sancho on form and Jack on form, Jadon provides more functionality to this team.

Anustart89

Fantastic player. Bit of a wanker though, but despite all the controversy around him it’s never looked like it’s been affecting him on the pitch.

Tarrou

He has a valid point I'm astounded to see how short minded fans are urging the club in a time of financial difficulty to buy (what would be most of our budget) on a single player who barely contributes to the areas where the squad is proficiently weak. Unless Grealish is a right sided player the club should not be going for him. All Grealish does is further unbalance the attack, he's not a step in the right direction.

Replacing Pogba is a good shout but we don't have one defensive midfielder at the club capable of playing a 4-3-3 with comfort defensively. So tactically and not based on a FIFA ideology Grealish should only be remotely entertained with the idea of a sole defensive midfielder to rotate the team shape. Jack has absolutely no place with Solskjaer's preferred 4-2-3-1. Sancho on form and Jack on form, Jadon provides more functionality to this team.
you seem to be making a different but valid point

Grealish won't work here unless we're willing to accept he'll be the most important player at the club, is the bit I find perplexing

like, why not? we play the same formation as Villa most of the time and our left wing has been shit all season

and, "accept he'll be the most important player at the club" is basically meaningless waffle

Last edited:

Rockets Redglare

Fantastic player. Bit of a wanker though, but despite all the controversy around him it’s never looked like it’s been affecting him on the pitch.
Who cares, if we sign him he’ll be our wanker. He’s fantastic and would walk into our team.