Jack Wilshere | I should be in the England squad

Hephaestus

He's always had great technical ability. Just seems a headless chicken a lot of the time. Motivation and smoking also an issue. He would have developed much better in la Liga imo.
I think he'd have developed a lot better at other PL clubs as well. His issues aren't Ravel Morrison style deal-breakers but I don't think Wenger was the right manager for someone like him, think he needed help to stay focused and never really got it.

Robbie Boy

As I've said, the overrating of Wilshere since his Arsenal 'comeback' has been laughable.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Bit odd. He's playing against probably the best club side in the world for a team that is coming of a loss to Ostersund.

cyberman

Stop diving to the ground after every challenge might have helped.

Kag

Mark Ogden isn't half a whopper.

Wilshere isn't top level and isn't good enough to dominate against Germany of France, but if that's the benchmark then we might as well just stay at home or send a couple of Sunday league lads.

Hitchez

I actually thought that until the 3rd goal went in and he predictably lost his head and became petulant, he was perhaps the best Arsenal player on the pitch. No one looked more comfortable on the ball and you got the feeling that if anyone was going to anything for Arsenal it was going to be him.

His obvious talent needed nurturing and development. Injuries and perhaps Wenger himself stagnating hasn't helped his cause. If I was English I'd still want him in the world cup squad. In the right system, he'd still be very good.

Classical Mechanic

I actually thought that until the 3rd goal went in and he predictably lost his head and became petulant, he was perhaps the best Arsenal player on the pitch. No one looked more comfortable on the ball and you got the feeling that if anyone was going to anything for Arsenal it was going to be him.

His obvious talent needed nurturing and development. Injuries and perhaps Wenger himself stagnating hasn't helped his cause. If I was English I'd still want him in the world cup squad. In the right system, he'd still be very good.
I agree, I thought he was the least bad Arsenal player today.

shield

Agree. Before the goal, City were finding it hard to deal with him and he was single handedly countering their midfield.

They kept fouling him and if he was dealing with Fernandinho very shrewdly and had got him to the brink of getting a sent off.

Showed some excellent ball movement and was the best player for Arsenal. Kind of felt for him towards the end the loss was really hurting him.

MataFanatic

Keano was right during the week. He's the most overrated player in the Premier League. What was Hodgson thinking bringing him to the Euros?

marktan

Him and Auba were the only two decent players for Arsenal (Auba with his runs). It's just more to do with the rest of their team not showing up and their manager not really having a clue. But tbf, until Mustafi decided to let Aguero have a free goal, Arsenal weren't looking too bad. But it is the same old under Wenger and I'd be very surprised if they managed to pull of a Europa cup win this season.

With Wilshere I'd like to see him play for England, but not really sure where or how. In a midfield two they'd get overrun, maybe a 3 with Henderson and someone else, with Alli, Kane and Sterling up front and Walker / Rose supporting from full back. The major problem with England really is that we never have a settled team, last Euros we had one team that played for most of the qaulifiers and then after a few friendlies decided to essentially play the half the Spurs team at the actual competition.

Brophs

The One and Only
He seems to polarise opinion quite a bit, but to be quite MOR, I think he's nowhere near the player he has been in the past, but is being made to look good by how average Arsenal's squad is. He's still a decent-ish PL midfielder, but I don't think he'd actually start for any other top 6 side now.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It’s pretty outlandish at this point. I’ll wait until they face a PSG, Bayern, Madrid or Barca before calling them probably the greatest club side in the World. Ffs
Currently favourites to win the Champions League, but yeah, outlandish...

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Hard to put into words my emotions about yesterday. City are a good team and deserved to win yesterday. Alot of people have had thier say on us and we have to accept cristism when we lose. That being said i can't accept some of the decisions that went against us yesterday. What ever you say about the first goal, its a foul. The second goal is offside. There should have been a second yellow in the first half. Yes this happens in football but its still hard to accept. And people will say we are looking for excuses but these are facts. Anyway we need to respond, starting on thursday. Thanks to all the gooners for your support and trust me we feel the same but we need to stick together
"We're not looking for excuses", he said after writing a list of excuses.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Him and Auba were the only two decent players for Arsenal (Auba with his runs). It's just more to do with the rest of their team not showing up and their manager not really having a clue. But tbf, until Mustafi decided to let Aguero have a free goal, Arsenal weren't looking too bad. But it is the same old under Wenger and I'd be very surprised if they managed to pull of a Europa cup win this season.

With Wilshere I'd like to see him play for England, but not really sure where or how. In a midfield two they'd get overrun, maybe a 3 with Henderson and someone else, with Alli, Kane and Sterling up front and Walker / Rose supporting from full back. The major problem with England really is that we never have a settled team, last Euros we had one team that played for most of the qaulifiers and then after a few friendlies decided to essentially play the half the Spurs team at the actual competition.
He should be no where near the England squad, nevermind the actual first team, he really is not good enough.

BarcaSpurs

Isn't coming out and directly criticising the referees decisions like that something that can get you suspended? or does it only apply to managers?

goons

Supports
Arsenal
When you say he had huge potential why is that? What was or is he good at? I honestly don't get it.
If you don’t get it that’s ok. You probably didn’t watch him much before the injuries to understand what kind of player he could’ve been. Pointing at goals and assists and comparing him to Lingard kind of proves that. And by the way he was a much bigger talent then Lingard was. I think even most united fans that actually watched Wilshere play back then would’ve agreed with that.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
If you don’t get it that’s ok. You probably didn’t watch him much before the injuries to understand what kind of player he could’ve been. Pointing at goals and assists and comparing him to Lingard kind of proves that. And by the way he was a much bigger talent then Lingard was. I think even most united fans that actually watched Wilshere play back then would’ve agreed with that.
Fair enough, I really don't get the hype surrounding him at all, for a player that doesn't score, assist or tackle that often, people sure do rate him or did, call me silly or old fashioned, but for me, I quite like my central midfielders to be quite good at least one or more than one of them.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Fair enough, I really don't get the hype surrounding him at all, for a player that doesn't score, assist or tackle that often, people sure do rate him or did, call me silly or old fashioned, but for me, I quite like my central midfielders to be quite good at least one or more than one of them.
There are great midfielder who do not do any of those things.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He should be no where near the England squad, nevermind the actual first team, he really is not good enough.
But such is the dearth of talent that England have in midfield, he's miles better than the alternatives.

I'm not fan of Wilshere but I'd much rather see him in a midfield than Henderson who is one of the worst midfielders we've ever had.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
I think he would have been if it wasn't for all his injuries. But, he definitely isn't.
Nahh, I don't think he ever had the potential to be anything more than your random average player that he is now.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
I still don't know how he wasn't sent off yesterday btw. Sarcastically applauding the ref? The likes of Rooney have been seeing yellow for that since the days of Villareal in 06. Right In front of him as well, ref just had pity imo.

Robbie Boy

Anyone who watched him in his younger days could tell he was a really promising talent. I remember he was brilliant during his loan spell at Bolton and he was like 17 at the time. Obviously injuries played a huge part in him not fulfilling his potential but I feel he stagnated at some point and never really progressed from all his early promise.

I have to say, he's been overrated beyond belief since returning from his loan spell at Bournemouth and it appears that people are seeing what they want to see. He's been bang average at best and I think this is going to be his level.

Brightonian

Nahh, I don't think he ever had the potential to be anything more than your random average player that he is now.
You are wrong, then. He was a phenomenally gifted youngster - still probably the best sixteen-year-old I've ever personally watched play for an English youth side, and I've been watching youth football my whole life - and before the injuries set in he really started to fulfil that promise. His critics claim he trades purely on one game against Barcelona, but I could certainly name ten games of football against strong opponents that he dominated from midfield. A couple of England-Brazil matches come to mind immediately, for example.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Funny how things turns out. Both him and Lingard are roughly the same age, but there was a sizeable gap in their quality when they were under 20's. Ofcourse injuries have played their part, but goes to show how difficult is it to predict a youngster's path. Lingard as of now is the better player than Wilshere, having said that both of them should start for England at the WC.