Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I don't care - players peak at different times in their career. It's hardly ever a linear progression - with due respect the age point isn't relevant to who is a better player.

Grealish can pop up anywhere and drift, as does Sancho. I don't think Ole is going to be intending having fixed wingers.
Okay you can choose not to care, but it's safe to assume a 21 year old isn't at his peak based on basically every single footballer ever.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Okay you can choose not to care, but it's safe to assume a 21 year old isn't at his peak based on basically every single footballer ever.
It's a moot point when Grealish hasn't peaked either.

Idxomer

This is the massively worrying thing I read every so often. His whole appeal is built on finally being a long term solution for the right.
He will be coming inside more than Mata when he was deployed there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So you can never compar two players? Until the end of both players career?
Of course you can. I just did. I think Grealish is a better player than Sancho. If faced with a choice, I'd prefer Grealish (but obviously I'd love both).

It's you who are putting an unnecessary weight on the age being a driving differential. What Sancho has done at 21 is bloody brilliant but it's presumptuous to think he will reach Grealish's current level and surpass it.

Bubz27

Of course you can. I just did. I think Grealish is a better player than Sancho. If faced with a choice, I'd prefer Grealish (but obviously I'd love both).

It's you who are putting an unnecessary weight on the age being a driving differential. What Sancho has done at 21 is bloody brilliant but it's presumptuous to think he will reach Grealish's current level and surpass it.
Plenty would argue a guy who's won trophies, played champions League football regularly whilst achieving better personal stats than Grealish has already surpassed him. Even in this game, Grealish hasn't done anymore than Sancho. Grealish has a free role, Sancho so clearly playing from the right inwards. And has Godfrey behind him whereas Grealish is linking Rashford and Shaw.

And this argument about age is silly in my opinion. It's perfectly normal to expect a very talented 21 year old to continue to improve and hit a very high level when he's 25.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I love when people judge players based on a friendly.
I find it’s the best time to judge a player when they are playing with a young CB as a RB for support in a complete mishmash of a side in the last non competitive game before a big tournament starting in a weeks time :wenger:

GlasgowCeltic

He'll never look a 100m player on the right imo, it's like if Chelsea had stuck Hazard there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I love when people judge players based on a friendly.
Probably because they see Sancho's stats and never watch him.
Then almost every England game he looks fairly average, which when he's talked about as a wonderkid is worrying.

Bubz27

He doesn't look like a £100m player. Good job the prices quoted aren't £100m.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Plenty would argue a guy who's won trophies, played champions League football regularly whilst achieving better personal stats than Grealish has already surpassed him. Even in this game, Grealish hasn't done anymore than Sancho. Grealish has a free role, Sancho so clearly playing from the right inwards. And has Godfrey behind him whereas Grealish is linking Rashford and Shaw.

And this argument about age is silly in my opinion. It's perfectly normal to expect a very talented 21 year old to continue to improve and hit a very high level when he's 25.
Plenty would argue it's very easy to hit good stats in the Bundasliga playing for Dortmund compared to carrying an Aston Villa side. Plenty would argue Grealish carries more influence on the game than Sancho does, and that Grealish is a ridiculous talent, one of the best in the Premier League in fact let alone the Bundasliga.

The argument about age is indeed silly, because players reach their potential at different times and at different levels. As I said, it's very presumptuous to claim Grealish is only better than Sancho right now because he's just a few years older.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Looks like he's coming off from a stinker today.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Why would we even think about dropping Greenwood for him?

Ekeke

This is normal. He is overrated. The only winner over Sancho deal is Dortmund and agent.
Of course he is, but hes capable of much better than that half. If bought for £80 million+ he'd have to be producing that much better standard very very often

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I've never seen him do enough to suggest he'd go straight in as first choice RW ahead of Greenwood that's for sure.

Nick7

Probably because they see Sancho's stats and never watch him.
Then almost every England game he looks fairly average, which when he's talked about as a wonderkid is worrying.
Nearly every player looks average playing for England. International football is a terrible way to judge players in general, especially tournaments where there is nearly always one player that looks a world beater but is shite for their club. Sissoko at the 2018 World Cup for example.

MadMike

He'll never look a 100m player on the right imo, it's like if Chelsea had stuck Hazard there.
He's more dangerous and potent coming from the left. Hence I find it weird people want him to come and play on the right.

Why would we even think about dropping Greenwood for him?
They are different type of players but Greenwood will undoubtedly have more output from the right. The thing is that Greenwood might start playing more form the middle over the course of the next year or two.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Can you trust AWB keeping the width behind him while defending the flank on his own?
I mean, that's what like 99% of teams do...

Sancho creates a lot of space on the flank and is great at playing the ball behind the defence

Don't expect him to stay wide, isolate with the FB and attack on his own, that's just not his game

MadMike

Nearly every player looks average playing for England. International football is a terrible way to judge players in general, especially tournaments where there is nearly always one player that looks a world beater but is shite for their club. Sissoko at the 2018 World Cup for example.
Grealish looks class though.

Nick7

Grealish looks class though.
He’s a good player, that’s why I said “nearly”. James Ward Prowse has also looked very good today but we know from watching Southampton that he’s not good enough for United.

PoTMS

Forget Sancho, put that £80m towards Grealish. The guy is different gravy.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He’s a good player, that’s why I said “nearly”. James Ward Prowse has also looked very good today but we know from watching Southampton that he’s not good enough for United.
Funnily enough I'd take him here, over McTominay.

0le

I would much rather we sign Grealish. I just do not see an £80m player in Sancho.

MadMike

The only thing that JWP does well both for Soton and England are the set pieces. Hence I would bring him to the Euros for TAA, because you need a player on the bench that has that in his locker and can offer something different from what the starting XI can.

Other than that he doesn't impress me with his work in midfield specifically. Neither for England (incl. today) nor Soton.

Hulksmash

We are getting ripped of Dortmund.

Pull the plug and go for another Signing

Bubz27

Plenty would argue it's very easy to hit good stats in the Bundasliga playing for Dortmund compared to carrying an Aston Villa side. Plenty would argue Grealish carries more influence on the game than Sancho does, and that Grealish is a ridiculous talent, one of the best in the Premier League in fact let alone the Bundasliga.

The argument about age is indeed silly, because players reach their potential at different times and at different levels. As I said, it's very presumptuous to claim Grealish is only better than Sancho right now because he's just a few years older.
Plenty would but at least you agree there is an argument both ways.

I also didn't say Grealish is only better because he's older. I implied that he wasn't as good at the same age and Sancho still has room to grow. At 22, it's very unlikely you would've been for signing Grealish so I feel it's silly to be so against signing Sancho at the same age when he's already shown he is a very talented player for multiple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.